• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did Everyone Forget What DeSantis Did?

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Seems like Florida governor Ron DeSantis is positioning himself to be the future of the GOP (God help us all). He's on a 'victory parade' against Covid and the media declaring the state did just as well or better as other states while staying open. However, Americans have very short attention spans and it seems like a lot of them (including much of the media) forgot what he and his administration did several months ago.

A little refresher:

Going into the pandemic, Florida had a system that mirrored that of many states. At the county level, medical examiners tallied both the numbers and the cause of death. This information was both made available to the public and sent to the state. By no coincidence at all, one of DeSantis’ first moves during the pandemic was to stop county officials from making these numbers public. Starting in March 2020, county medical examiners were forbidden from revealing the numbers or cause of death, and instead told to report their information only to the state.

If this sounds like it wouldn’t make much difference, in April there was a strange spike in “pneumonia deaths” in Florida—a spike that existed nowhere else. The official Florida site blamed these deaths, when they were given any cause at all, on flu. This was happening at a point when flu numbers were already way down in other states, but COVID-19 deaths were on the rise. Right from the beginning, to believe DeSantis means that Florida was having an absolutely unique experience in which COVID-19 was less deadly than anywhere else in the nation, but they were plagued by a mysterious, unconnected rash of respiratory illness.

The article goes further into the controversy, including the incidents with Dr. Rebekah Jones. It amazes me how many gullible fools, especially Floridians, will just ignore the obvious.

The political press is too busy trying to declare that DeSantis "won the pandemic".

DeSantis fired a data scientist that was keeping track of the Covid deaths....and then he had her home raided. Apparently, he didn't want the public to know the truth.

DeSantis fired a data scientist that was keeping track of the Covid deaths....and then he had her home raided. Apparently, he didn't want the public to know the truth.

You need to read up on your "martyr" Rebeka Jones before you make any more things up.

Seems like Florida governor Ron DeSantis is positioning himself to be the future of the GOP (God help us all). He's on a 'victory parade' against Covid and the media declaring the state did just as well or better as other states while staying open. However, Americans have very short attention spans and it seems like a lot of them (including much of the media) forgot what he and his administration did several months ago.

A little refresher: Going into the pandemic, Florida had a system that mirrored that of many states. At the county level, medical examiners tallied both the numbers and the cause of death. This information was both made available to the public and sent to the state. By no coincidence at all, one of DeSantis’ first moves during the pandemic was to stop county officials from making these numbers public. Starting in March 2020, county medical examiners were forbidden from revealing the numbers or cause of death, and instead told to report their information only to the state.

If this sounds like it wouldn’t make much difference, in April there was a strange spike in “pneumonia deaths” in Florida—a spike that existed nowhere else. The official Florida site blamed these deaths, when they were given any cause at all, on flu. This was happening at a point when flu numbers were already way down in other states, but COVID-19 deaths were on the rise. Right from the beginning, to believe DeSantis means that Florida was having an absolutely unique experience in which COVID-19 was less deadly than anywhere else in the nation, but they were plagued by a mysterious, unconnected rash of respiratory illness.
What you should be saying is that DeSantis got the pandemic right almost as much as Cuomo got the pandemic wrong. He went with the science and got results that prove it.

The article goes further into the controversy, including the incidents with Dr. Rebekah Jones. It amazes me how many gullible fools, especially Floridians, will just ignore the obvious.
The Dr Jones firing has no there there.

The political press is too busy trying to declare that DeSantis "won the pandemic".
He did win. It shows what can be done by following the science instead of the narrative.

Well, then it should be easy to discredit the information presented, right?
The facts do that. DeSantis followed the science and the results prove him right

So you've got nothing. Got it.
Nice concession speech.

Her own words:
I’m not pulling our primary resource for coronavirus data because he wants to stick it to journalists and make them copy and paste from the tables in the pdfs. If it’s in the dashboard, it’s public. Period. There is no way around that… We have gained national — no, international — notoriety for being the best state in the country with data transparency. I’m not trashing all of that work and progress because he got asked a few questions by reporters — which I read and were completely fair and legitimate questions that should have been asked.​

That's more than enough to justify termination for insubordination. I was a Union Steward for over 15 years, so I know from personal experience. The fact that she went public with the disagreement prior to the termination is icing on a cake

The question in the topic line's easy to answer.

No.

Proof? The poster demonstrably did not.

Q.E.D.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

What you should be saying is that DeSantis got the pandemic right almost as much as Cuomo got the pandemic wrong. He went with the science and got results that prove it.

This thread is about Florida and DeSantis, not New York and Cuomo (though I am a Cuomo critic, so this is not the gotcha whataboutism you think).

He did win. It shows what can be done by following the science instead of the narrative.

What science did he follow?

The facts do that. DeSantis followed the science and the results prove him right

What science? You keep saying this without providing evidence or examples.

Nice concession speech.

Calling someone out for failing to defend their position is not a concession speech.

Her own words:
I’m not pulling our primary resource for coronavirus data because he wants to stick it to journalists and make them copy and paste from the tables in the pdfs. If it’s in the dashboard, it’s public. Period. There is no way around that… We have gained national — no, international — notoriety for being the best state in the country with data transparency. I’m not trashing all of that work and progress because he got asked a few questions by reporters — which I read and were completely fair and legitimate questions that should have been asked.​

That's more than enough to justify termination for insubordination. I was a Union Steward for over 15 years, so I know from personal experience. The fact that she went public with the disagreement prior to the termination is icing on a cake

Data shows that the Florida Department of Health has consistently undercounted the deaths in its COVID-19 dashboard. For example, on April 13, the states’ dashboard showed only 92 dead in Broward County. Yet data obtained from the Broward County Medical Examiners’ Office shows that there were actually 120 deaths from COVID-19 in the county. Similar gaps between county medical examiner data and the state death reports were present on Friday, April 10, when the Sun Sentinel obtained lists of the dead from Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, and Broward counties.

A little refresher:

Going into the pandemic, Florida had a system that mirrored that of many states. At the county level, medical examiners tallied both the numbers and the cause of death. This information was both made available to the public and sent to the state. By no coincidence at all, one of DeSantis’ first moves during the pandemic was to stop county officials from making these numbers public. Starting in March 2020, county medical examiners were forbidden from revealing the numbers or cause of death, and instead told to report their information only to the state.

Got anything other than the DailyKos to support this conspiracy theory?

Got anything other than the DailyKos to support this conspiracy theory?

I've already provided another source (Sun-Sentinel).

Here's another for you to gloss over and dismiss:

The DeSantis administration has repeatedly changed the guidelines on the reporting of pandemic deaths, drawing outcry from public officials. Medical examiners sounded the alarm in the spring after the state stopped publishing real-time death data reported by local health officials, which showed a higher death total than the state's reports.

I've already provided another source (Sun-Sentinel).

Here's another for you to gloss over and dismiss:

The DeSantis administration has repeatedly changed the guidelines on the reporting of pandemic deaths, drawing outcry from public officials. Medical examiners sounded the alarm in the spring after the state stopped publishing real-time death data reported by local health officials, which showed a higher death total than the state's reports.
OK. You don't have anything more definitive than "may have manipulated?"

Perhaps if we got Sidney Powell on the case it'll convince you lot.
Why would you think that, do you have a loit of faith in Ms. Powell?

I'm just going by your Salon article which has the top line conclusion that Florida "may have manipulated" data. Doens't sound like much of conspiracy if the best they do is claim "may have."

Well, it certanly has a lot of left bias to be sure. HOWEVER, let's see you explain the high spike in pneumonia deaths , the source of which is not the daily kos.
Even the loon site politifact says that consiracy theory is full of shit.,

Why would you think that, do you have a loit of faith in Ms. Powell?

Nope, but your crowd does. Or did. Hmm, is she still the hero of the right or are you guys just trying to forget she exists?

I'm just going by your Salon article which has the top line conclusion that Florida "may have manipulated" data. Doens't sound like much of conspiracy if the best they do is claim "may have."

The title indicates the DeSantis Administration has a lot of explaining to do.

Nope, but your crowd does. Or did. Hmm, is she still the hero of the right or are you guys just trying to forget she exists?

You'lll have to check with whomever these folks you think are on the "right" about that.

The title indicates the DeSantis Administration has a lot of explaining to do.
Yes. Loon sites often use false titles as clickbait. Looks like it works.

Again, even the loon site politifact says that consiracy theory is full of shit.,

[/QUOTE]

You'lll have to check with whomever these folks you think are on the "right" about that.

Alright, asking you, then since you believed Trump won.

Rawley on January 30th:
Less than 50,000 stolen votes and Trump would still crushing your soul.s

Yes. Loon sites often use false titles as clickbait. Looks like it works.

Lol, Salon is not a loon site. That would be Info Wars, Gateway Pundit, World Net Daily, and all the other right-wing batshit crazy sites out there.

Again, even the loon site politifact says that consiracy theory is full of shit.,

That is in reference to a specific Facebook post.

Alright, asking you, then since you believed Trump won.

OK, She's a loon.
Lol, Salon is not a loon site. That would be Info Wars, Gateway Pundit, World Net Daily, and all the other right-wing batshit crazy sites out there.

Sure OK. Given that you thought it acceptable to post anything from the dailykos, don't be offended that your opinion might be a tad biased.

That is in reference to a specific Facebook post.

About Florida masking COVID deaths as pneumonia deaths. Wasn't that the conspiracy being put out by your loon site?

A little refresher:

Meanwhile I am over 65 and still waiting to get my vaccine and DeSantis is sitting on nearly 3 million doses. I guess I haven't donated to his campaign fund so no soup for me.

Florida
Doses distributed to state: 10,234,515
Doses administered: 7,522,691
Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 73.50

https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...entage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html

Back
Top Bottom