• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did Everyone Forget What DeSantis Did?

Daily KOS

The left wing version of Alex Jones.
Why do you insist on spreading disinformation and outright bullshit here? Do you get a thrill from it?

Let's see if FL will release overall deaths over the past year compared to expected overall deaths and compared to overall deaths in previous years.

You can fudge cause of death but dead is dead. And if overall deaths last year in FL spiked dramatically over previous years and over expecations, I wonder what could be the cause? Hmmm.

This thread is about Florida and DeSantis, not New York and Cuomo (though I am a Cuomo critic, so this is not the gotcha whataboutism you think).
Re-read what was said. Whataboutism is about double standards, which are certainly in play here. However, that is not the point that was made.

New York and Florida are comparable in size and similar in population age. Both are a heavily urbanized and both are significant international ports. Other things being equal, they should have produced similar results, yet the actual results are starkly different. This is not new material. I was saying the same thing nine months ago.

What science did he follow?
Medical, of course. DeSantis focused his attention on protecting the vulnerable.

What science? You keep saying this without providing evidence or examples.
DeSantis followed the medical science and has the results to prove it. Since you insist on stating the obvious, New York's deaths per million are 68% higher, per CDC statistics.

Calling someone out for failing to defend their position is not a concession speech.
Not failing, refusing.

Data shows that the Florida Department of Health has consistently undercounted the deaths in its COVID-19 dashboard. For example, on April 13, the states’ dashboard showed only 92 dead in Broward County. Yet data obtained from the Broward County Medical Examiners’ Office shows that there were actually 120 deaths from COVID-19 in the county. Similar gaps between county medical examiner data and the state death reports were present on Friday, April 10, when the Sun Sentinel obtained lists of the dead from Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, and Broward counties.
Point fails. Assuming that Florida undercounted deaths by 30% statewide, they do not move into the top 10 states in the country, despite having the highest at-risk population per capita.

I've already provided another source (Sun-Sentinel).
Which was shown to be insufficient.

Here's another for you to gloss over and dismiss: The DeSantis administration has repeatedly changed the guidelines on the reporting of pandemic deaths, drawing outcry from public officials. Medical examiners sounded the alarm in the spring after the state stopped publishing real-time death data reported by local health officials, which showed a higher death total than the state's reports.
Again fails. Even the worst case assumption is insufficient.

Well, it certanly has a lot of left bias to be sure. HOWEVER, let's see you explain the high spike in pneumonia deaths , the source of which is not the daily kos.

The title indicates the DeSantis Administration has a lot of explaining to do.
Bragging is better. They did well and they can prove it.

Why do you insist on spreading disinformation and outright bullshit here? Do you get a thrill from it?
Since the statements was reasonable, you make no sense.

Only reasonable in your head, not to anyone else. Alex Jones is no way comparable to Daily Kos. Of course you are likely into the conspiracy thing, most trump supporters are.

Seems like Florida governor Ron DeSantis is positioning himself to be the future of the GOP (God help us all). He's on a 'victory parade' against Covid and the media declaring the state did just as well or better as other states while staying open. However, Americans have very short attention spans and it seems like a lot of them (including much of the media) forgot what he and his administration did several months ago.

A little refresher:

Going into the pandemic, Florida had a system that mirrored that of many states. At the county level, medical examiners tallied both the numbers and the cause of death. This information was both made available to the public and sent to the state. By no coincidence at all, one of DeSantis’ first moves during the pandemic was to stop county officials from making these numbers public. Starting in March 2020, county medical examiners were forbidden from revealing the numbers or cause of death, and instead told to report their information only to the state.

If this sounds like it wouldn’t make much difference, in April there was a strange spike in “pneumonia deaths” in Florida—a spike that existed nowhere else. The official Florida site blamed these deaths, when they were given any cause at all, on flu. This was happening at a point when flu numbers were already way down in other states, but COVID-19 deaths were on the rise. Right from the beginning, to believe DeSantis means that Florida was having an absolutely unique experience in which COVID-19 was less deadly than anywhere else in the nation, but they were plagued by a mysterious, unconnected rash of respiratory illness.

The article goes further into the controversy, including the incidents with Dr. Rebekah Jones. It amazes me how many gullible fools, especially Floridians, will just ignore the obvious.

LOL, the Daily Krap hasn’t published a fact since the Obama administration; and that was an ACCIDENT. Ony reason they’re putting this shit out now is because DeSantis is succeeding.

LOL, the Daily Krap hasn’t published a fact since the Obama administration; and that was an ACCIDENT. Ony reason they’re putting this shit out now is because DeSantis is succeeding.

@Jay59
@Rawley

Here are some facts for the Deathsantis fans.

Analysis of Excess Deaths During the COVID-19 Pandemic in the State of Florida

Conclusions. Total deaths are significantly higher than historical trends in Florida even when accounting for COVID-19–related deaths. The impact of COVID-19 on mortality is significantly greater than the official COVID-19 data suggest.

Last edited:
Re-read what was said. Whataboutism is about double standards, which are certainly in play here. However, that is not the point that was made.

New York and Florida are comparable in size and similar in population age. Both are a heavily urbanized and both are significant international ports. Other things being equal, they should have produced similar results, yet the actual results are starkly different. This is not new material. I was saying the same thing nine months ago.

Medical, of course. DeSantis focused his attention on protecting the vulnerable.

DeSantis followed the medical science and has the results to prove it. Since you insist on stating the obvious, New York's deaths per million are 68% higher, per CDC statistics.

Not failing, refusing.

Point fails. Assuming that Florida undercounted deaths by 30% statewide, they do not move into the top 10 states in the country, despite having the highest at-risk population per capita.

Which was shown to be insufficient.

Again fails. Even the worst case assumption is insufficient.

Bragging is better. They did well and they can prove it.

The problem is Florida is not NY. Our climate is far different and this difference affects the spread of viruses.

Gliding solo on invisible air currents or in droplets of viscous phlegm, the flu virus is one of nature’s most effective infectors, but South Florida may have a latitudinal advantage when it comes to the annual scourge.
In the goopy subtropics, the same humidity-soaked air that clings to skin, also gloms onto virus particles, weighing them down so that they fall to the ground faster than in a cool, dry atmosphere where they float like dandelion seeds in a breeze.

It’s a concept that works so well in the lab that University of Florida scientists use a machine to add water vapor to the air so they can increase their successes at collecting the bloated virus particles.
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/...-avoiding-flu-virus-in-south-florida-yes-but-

We also have far more sunny days even in winter and ultraviolet is a virus killer. I would call DeSantis's results poor considering he also started with the huge advantage of time. Time that made covid treatment much more effective than in March 2020 in NYC.

Only reasonable in your head, not to anyone else. Alex Jones is no way comparable to Daily Kos. Of course you are likely into the conspiracy thing, most trump supporters are.
I give conspiracy theories. I will even give you that Kos is less oriented to CT. I will not give you that there is no comparison. It works as rhetorical exaggeration.

Example: Kos fully supported the now fully debunked Russia collusion conspiracy theory.

You're being as bad as he is.

Daily Kos is no one's idea of even handed, but they do turn out legitimate facts. It's just that they support CTs like Russia collusion as well.

Here are some facts.
Analysis of Excess Deaths During the COVID-19 Pandemic in the State of Florida

Conclusions. Total deaths are significantly higher than historical trends in Florida even when accounting for COVID-19–related deaths. The impact of COVID-19 on mortality is significantly greater than the official COVID-19 data suggest.
Still not there. Significant can be 5%, whereas 30% is insufficient to make the point valid.

The problem is Florida is not NY.
Don't be trite. They are a reasonable pair for side by side comparison of results.

Our climate is far different and this difference affects the spread of viruses. Gliding solo on invisible air currents or in droplets of viscous phlegm, the flu virus is one of nature’s most effective infectors, but South Florida may have a latitudinal advantage when it comes to the annual scourge. In the goopy subtropics, the same humidity-soaked air that clings to skin, also gloms onto virus particles, weighing them down so that they fall to the ground faster than in a cool, dry atmosphere where they float like dandelion seeds in a breeze.

It’s a concept that works so well in the lab that University of Florida scientists use a machine to add water vapor to the air so they can increase their successes at collecting the bloated virus particles. https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/...-avoiding-flu-virus-in-south-florida-yes-but-

We also have far more sunny days even in winter and ultraviolet is a virus killer. I would call DeSantis's results poor considering he also started with the huge advantage of time. Time that made treatment much more effective than in March 2020 in NYC.
This would be far more convincing it it held over the whole sun belt. It doesn't.

In any event, viruses tend to be passed indoors

I give conspiracy theories. I will even give you that Kos is less oriented to CT. I will not give you that there is no comparison. It works as rhetorical exaggeration.

Example: Kos fully supported the now fully debunked Russia collusion conspiracy theory.

Daily Kos is no one's idea of even handed, but they do turn out legitimate facts. It's just that they support CTs like Russia collusion as well.

Still not there. Significant can be 5%, whereas 30% is insufficient to make the point valid.

Don't be trite. They are a reasonable pair for side by side comparison of results.

This would be far more convincing it it held over the whole sun belt. It doesn't.

Yes and Floridians do not spend as much time indoors in the winter either. Thanks for reminding me.

With all the differences in the 2 parties nowadays, this is right up front.

Cuomo lied about Covid, but his own party is after him to resign and his political career is over..

DeSantis lied about Covid and his party wants him to be their Prez nominee in 2024..

Trump and the Republicans lied so much, AND GOT AWAY WITH IT.. I have no idea why any politician would tell the truth anymore, or even pretend to.. Trump has lowered the bar so low there's no reason any politician has to even try to be honest.

Dems are nuts trying to take the high road..

Yes and Floridians do not spend as much time indoors in the winter either. Thanks for reminding me.
No problem. It doesn't help your position, but it's free of charge.

Florida's vulnerable population does not get out much.

LOL, what? Says who? You?
Read for comprehension. 5% is a standard threshold for statistical analysis. A 30% increase will still not put Florida in the top ten states in deaths per million.

You guts are just underscoring how good a job DeSantis did with the toughest state in the whole country.

You need to read up on your "martyr" Rebeka Jones before you make any more things up.

I did read up on it and my sources are more credible than yours.

Your source is a disgraced GOP operative....bow wow....

Read for comprehension. 5% is a standard threshold for statistical analysis. A 30% increase will still not put Florida in the top ten states in deaths per million.

Desantis is LYING about deaths related to COVID. That's the point of the thread. The link supports it. The thread is not about a RW imaginary governor's covid contest, no matter how hard the Deathsantis fans are trying to turn it into one.

I did read up on it and my sources are more credible than yours.

Your source is a disgraced GOP operative....bow wow....

BS..... the women has a history of arrests and lying.

You need to read up on your "martyr" Rebeka Jones before you make any more things up.

The source for much of this story is the DeSantis administration, making it a liitle shakey. Plus, the author's bias is kinda out of control.

Russia and the Trump campaign did collude, you know.

OK, She's a loon.

You are the first right-winger I've seen admit to this. Does that not give you pause to where the GOP and American conservatives now stand?

Sure OK. Given that you thought it acceptable to post anything from the dailykos, don't be offended that your opinion might be a tad biased.

I never said the Dailykos was unbiased. I completely reject the idea that unbiased media exists.

About Florida masking COVID deaths as pneumonia deaths. Wasn't that the conspiracy being put out by your loon site?

The specific data/numbers from a social media post was the subject of the factcheck, not the overall dispute over pneumonia/covid counts.

Meanwhile I am over 65 and still waiting to get my vaccine and DeSantis is sitting on nearly 3 million doses. I guess I haven't donated to his campaign fund so no soup for me.

Florida
Doses distributed to state: 10,234,515
Doses administered: 7,522,691
Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 73.50

https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...entage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html
73.5% is way above the national average. If you havent gotten your shot yet, could be the problem is you, not DeSantis.

You guts are just underscoring how good a job DeSantis did with the toughest state in the whole country.

And you still haven't explained what specifically he did for this "good job." No sane scientist/doctor would recommend keeping bars open during a pandemic.

The committee found that Russian President Vladimir Putin was personally behind the hack and leak operation that published stolen Democratic Party emails, and that WikiLeaks — the website that published them — played a key role and "very likely knew it was assisting a Russian intelligence influence effort."

The Trump campaign sought to take advantage of those leaks by asking for advance notice of the WikiLeaks disclosures, crafting public relations strategies around them, and even encouraging "further theft of information and continued leaks."

This took place at critical moments of the 2016 campaign, the Senate Intelligence Committee concluded.

For example, when the Trump campaign was made aware that The Washington Post would be publishing a copy of the now-infamous Access Hollywood tape, word got to Trump confidant Roger Stone — who tried to get a message to WikiLeaks through an intermediary so that it would publish hacked Democratic Party emails immediately.

WikiLeaks ultimately published stolen emails approximately 30 minutes after the Access Hollywood story was put online.

The Trump campaign responded to the report by saying it was evidence that "there was no collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign," adding its contention that the "Russia Collusion Hoax is the greatest political scandal in the history of this country."

The report also found fault with the FBI: With regard to the hacking of Democratic Party emails, the Senate Intelligence Committee concluded that the bureau did not act aggressively enough to warn the Democratic National Committee about the hacking operation.

But it also said that the DNC did not take these warnings seriously enough, and that there was poor communication on both sides.

The report also faulted the FBI for giving "unjustified credence" to the information in Christopher Steele's dossier, a compendium of reporting from a former British intelligence officer. The dossier, the Senate Intelligence Committee concluded, "lacked rigor and transparency about the quality of the sourcing."

Following the Mueller Report, the fifth and final volume of the Senate Intelligence Committee's investigation into Russian interference puts something of a lid on years of probes into the issue.

From this, there is a bipartisan consensus about the nature of the Russian threat. Both sides agree that the Russian government meddled in the 2016 election — and are calling for action to protect campaigns from foreign interference in future campaigns.

You need to find a credible news source. Did you really think a Tallahassee newspaper would disagree with elected officials who work several miles away? Florida has been a red state for decades.

You need to find a credible news source. Did you really think a Tallahassee newspaper would disagree with elected officials who work several miles away? Florida has been a red state for decades.
Do arrest records mean anything?

Back
Top Bottom