• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dems Minimum wage war is a fool's gold

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
New York's fast food workers are on strike for better wages.
While I do believe wages need to keep pace with inflation ...but more importantly with company profits ...I think the minimum wage issue for dems is masking the problem.
The real problem with the fast food workers are ....those jobs were never intended for people to raise a family, pay rent in NEW YORK ...and take vacations. Those jobs were for college kids to get pocket change for school and summer activities.

I don't mind paying extra for fast food ....but it will never change the plight of those working these jobs ...in NEW YORK....thinking they're going to get ahead!!

Stop the madness ...this is an argument ...I'm surprised republicans fail to clarify. Yes we need to look at wages ...across every occupation ...because companies are raking in record profits ...and most workers never share in the profits. But these McDonalds workers are being conned on this one!! At $50K a year in New York ....a single guy with no kids and no wife to support is barely getting by!!

Do these people with their families want $100K/year to flip burgers??

Dems and republicans failure to work together is why nothing will ever change ...or get better!!

While I do believe wages need to keep pace with inflation ...but more importantly with company profits ...I think the minimum wage issue for dems is masking the problem.
The real problem with the fast food workers are ....those jobs were never intended for people to raise a family, pay rent in NEW YORK ...and take vacations. Those jobs were for college kids to get pocket change for school and summer activities.

Yeah, but that masters degree in LGBT isn't really panning out for today's hip liberal youth. How can they make it without taking money out of YOUR pocket? I mean...Geez!

All in all...you're right. These are jobs that are basically "entry level" positions into the general workforce. Next thing you know, waiters and waitresses will be demanding $50.00 an hour....then skilled workers in offices will be demanding $80.00 an hour....and so on and so forth. This is worse than French or Greek economics.

...and seriously...if you're over the age of 23, and you are still that unskilled that the "best" you can do is McDonalds, then you deserve minimum wage. Shut up and know your place, until you can make yourself marketable enough to get that better job.

Yeah, but that masters degree in LGBT isn't really panning out for today's hip liberal youth. How can they make it without taking money out of YOUR pocket? I mean...Geez!

...and seriously...if you're over the age of 23, and you are still that unskilled that the "best" you can do is McDonalds, then you deserve minimum wage. Shut up and know your place, until you can make yourself marketable enough to get that better job.

See this is my frustration ....the republicans and the dems take an issue to the extreme ...and ensure ....ensure there isn't a solution ...and America keep rotting away for it!!

Dude ...these people isn't taking money out of ...YOUR ...Pocket!!! This is what I hate ...the left con these people into thinking they can raise a family in NY flipping burgers. In a similar way the right con the southerners...some unemployed themselves...with barely a pot-to-piss in....into thinking these people are taking away their money!!

There are many educated people vying for those jobs ....the problem is they shouldn't ....that is not what America should strive for!! There-in lies the problem no one wants to talk about what is OBAMA + Congresses plan to rectify the situation!!! Corporation will never fix it ....they instead salivate at the plight of people in dire-straights ...because vulnerable people are very very exploitable!! The banks for example rather than try to help (after getting bailed out) would rather set up PAWN shops in neighborhoods than try to start projects to create jobs!!

Like I said ...you ...and the ensuing generation will never see an America better than today ....this ship is taking in water!!

I don't mind paying extra for fast food ....but it will never change the plight of those working these jobs ...in NEW YORK....thinking they're going to get ahead!!

Stop the madness ...this is an argument ...I'm surprised republicans fail to clarify. Yes we need to look at wages ...across every occupation ...because companies are raking in record profits ...and most workers never share in the profits. But these McDonalds workers are being conned on this one!! At $50K a year in New York ....a single guy with no kids and no wife to support is barely getting by!!

Dems and republicans failure to work together is why nothing will ever change ...or get better!!

High school and college students spend their day at school. Who runs the McDonald's for lunch?
"Never intended for." Look, if someone works 74 hours a week, they should be able to ****ing feed themselves. Don't give me this spending cash for privileged college kids bull****. (and yes, if you can work only part-time for minimum wage and go to college, you are privileged. I mean, who exactly is paying that tuition?)

Don't want to pay the extra quarter for a burger in order to pay the fast food worker more? Tough ****, because you're just going to pay for medicaid, welfare, and/or food stamps instead. Why should the taxpayers fund McDonald's and Walmart's ****ty pay? People like you always put "living wage" in scare quotes. You know what the alternative to a living wage is?

Not living.

See this is my frustration ....the republicans and the dems take an issue to the extreme ...and ensure ....ensure there isn't a solution ...and America keep rotting away for it!!

Dude ...these people isn't taking money out of ...YOUR ...Pocket!!! This is what I hate ...the left con these people into thinking they can raise a family in NY flipping burgers. In a similar way the right con the southerners...some unemployed themselves...with barely a pot-to-piss in....into thinking these people are taking away their money!!
They are taking money out of my pocket if I go to McDonalds, and they jack the price of Big Macs to $5.00 apiece. You don't think they've lowered their costs of their food as much as possible, to compete with all the other chains?? If you jack those costs up, where's the benefit of buying cheap fast food when it's not cheap?

Here's how it'd go down....McDonalds jacks their prices up to cater to these undeserving people's demands. People say "fk that" to Big Macs. McDonalds lays off thousands, and closes stores down in order to maintain solvency. Congratulations...your greed has cost you your job.

There are many educated people vying for those jobs ....the problem is they shouldn't ....that is not what America should strive for!!
Really? Like who? I was unemployed for quite a while when the economy turned sour, and they laid off software engineers. I found a job at Lowes where I GLADLY worked for whatever they'd pay me. Unlike others, I have self-respect, and did not want unemployment.

There-in lies the problem no one wants to talk about what is OBAMA + Congresses plan to rectify the situation!!!
Why should they? There's one thing that truly terrifies politicians....it's a self-sufficient citizen. Someone who doesn't need Mommy Government. That's the real boogieman to politicians.

Corporation will never fix it ....they instead salivate at the plight of people in dire-straights ...because vulnerable people are very very exploitable!!
Corporations never were, and never will be charity cases. From the dawn of time, businesses are in business to make money. As much money as possible. Thinking otherwise is childish, and naive.

The banks for example rather than try to help (after getting bailed out) would rather set up PAWN shops in neighborhoods than try to start projects to create jobs!!
Speaking from experience, I can say that this is patently false, and you have fallen for the media-driven hype and falsifications. Yes...banks, like businesses, are profit-generating machines. But to say they "prey" on people is retarded. Banks are the most overly-regulated entity in the world, and to insinuate that they "run rampant" is also childish and naive.

Like I said ...you ...and the ensuing generation will never see an America better than today ....this ship is taking in water!!
No, we won't. In fact, I think we peaked in the 80's. The 90's weren't as good. The aughts weren't as good as the 90's. The teens not as good as the aughts, and so on and so forth. But that's more of a decay in societal morals, and not because of a lack of forcible wealth distribution just for the sake of distribution.

High school and college students spend their day at school. Who runs the McDonald's for lunch?
"Never intended for." Look, if someone works 74 hours a week, they should be able to ****ing feed themselves. Don't give me this spending cash for privileged college kids bull****. (and yes, if you can work only part-time for minimum wage and go to college, you are privileged. I mean, who exactly is paying that tuition?)

Don't want to pay the extra quarter for a burger in order to pay the fast food worker more? Tough ****, because you're just going to pay for medicaid, welfare, and/or food stamps instead. Why should the taxpayers fund McDonald's and Walmart's ****ty pay? People like you always put "living wage" in scare quotes. You know what the alternative to a living wage is?

Not living.

excuse but where do you get the authority to tell private business what to pay?

and how do you work out your quarter theory?

or is this another B. Clinton moment........where he told Herman Caine, to raise the price of his pizza a dine to cover his cost........how do the left, pull figures from nowhere?

They are taking money out of my pocket if I go to McDonalds, and they jack the price of Big Macs to $5.00 apiece. You don't think they've lowered their costs of their food as much as possible, to compete with all the other chains?? If you jack those costs up, where's the benefit of buying cheap fast food when it's not cheap?

Here's how it'd go down....McDonalds jacks their prices up to cater to these undeserving people's demands. People say "fk that" to Big Macs. McDonalds lays off thousands, and closes stores down in order to maintain solvency. Congratulations...your greed has cost you your job.

Really? Like who? I was unemployed for quite a while when the economy turned sour, and they laid off software engineers. I found a job at Lowes where I GLADLY worked for whatever they'd pay me. Unlike others, I have self-respect, and did not want unemployment.

Why should they? There's one thing that truly terrifies politicians....it's a self-sufficient citizen. Someone who doesn't need Mommy Government. That's the real boogieman to politicians.

Corporations never were, and never will be charity cases. From the dawn of time, businesses are in business to make money. As much money as possible. Thinking otherwise is childish, and naive.

Speaking from experience, I can say that this is patently false, and you have fallen for the media-driven hype and falsifications. Yes...banks, like businesses, are profit-generating machines. But to say they "prey" on people is retarded. Banks are the most overly-regulated entity in the world, and to insinuate that they "run rampant" is also childish and naive.

No, we won't. In fact, I think we peaked in the 80's. The 90's weren't as good. The aughts weren't as good as the 90's. The teens not as good as the aughts, and so on and so forth. But that's more of a decay in societal morals, and not because of a lack of forcible wealth distribution just for the sake of distribution.

Folks here is a great example of what I'm trying to say here!!

This guy took his time to write this fart ...rather than have a decent conversation....why should congress change when their supporters want exactly that?
I mean ..he really worked at this fart didn't he? Woo---wooo ...you got me ...I'm going to try and outwork your fart!! :lamo

This is exactly whats happening to the country ....and the problem is sssooo much more acute on the right.

While the left may be misled....like I pointed out in this thread ....the people on the right are in this constant attack mode ...always ready to cut off their dam nose to spite their face!!! They never miss an opportunity!!

Y'all know what ........go ahead ...keep screwing each other over ...and tear down up the country...I'll stand back!!

There is so much gap ...in the intelligence within the average Chinese than there is in Americans ....and they (Chinese) will soon be "the worlds only super power for it!!

excuse but where do you get the authority to tell private business what to pay?

and how do you work out your quarter theory?

or is this another B. Clinton moment........where he told Herman Caine, to raise the price of his pizza a dine to cover his cost........how do the left, pull figures from nowhere?

Papa John himself was bitching about how he'd have to raise the price of his pizzas to comply with big scary Obamacare and give his employees health insurance.

Forbes calculated the cost to be about 10-14 cents per pizza.

Here's a quarter. Get the deluxe plan. (haven't bought a Papa John's pizza since his hissy fit, incidentally)

Where do I get the authority? Where do you get the audacity to demand that the taxpayer subsidize ****ty pay from companies like that?

Last edited:
Papa John himself was bitching about how he'd have to raise the price of his pizzas to comply with big scary Obamacare and give his employees health insurance.

Here's a quarter. Get the deluxe plan.

excuse me, i stated the dime plan to you..........that was the Bill Clinton dime...for a godfathers pizza....you have the change confused, .....and you didnt answer my question what gives you authority to tell people to raise wages.?

try to have more respect for people who are just trying to find some way to feed their families ... How much does a person making $100,000 make an hour? Let's say 40 hours a week, 50 weeks (2 weeks off unpaid) ... that comes out to $50 an hour ... is that what burger flippers are asking for? Let's give them $12.50 an hour ... what does that get them a year? 12.50 an hour, 40 hours a week, they'd make $500 a week times 50 weeks ... what is that? $25,000? Just over the poverty threshhold for a family of four. Let's give them $15 an hour - $600 a week, times 50 - $30,000? Too much?

But let's forget burgers ... Wal Mart's CEO makes about 1040 times the median wage of a Wal Mart worker ... That's O.K., right? Roughly half of Wal Mat workers are around or below the poverty threshhold ... That O.K.?

excuse me, i stated the dime plan to you..........that was the Bill Clinton dime...for a godfathers pizza....you have the change confused, .....and you didnt answer my question what gives you authority to tell people to raise wages.?

10-14 cents. Yeah, about a dime. What's the issue? Like, are you mad that I used a different pizza joint? I don't get it.

What gives you the authority to demand the taxpayers subsidize some **** food company's **** wages?

My Father was a proud burger flipper and so was his Father. Its a cryin' shame that a man cannot flip burgers like they used to, to live the American dream of buying a house putting the kids through college. I followed in their footsteps but can honestly say that the burger flipping industry has gone down the toilet. I hear long john silvers may not be that bad, so I'm putting it all out their taking a chance in the fish industry now. Feeling a little pressure as my community of burger flippers in the neighborhood haven't been exactly...shall we say supportive on the issue, but by golly a man has to stand up for what they believe in, and fish is what its gonna be come hell or high water...

10-14 cents. Yeah, about a dime. What's the issue? Like, are you mad that I used a different pizza joint? I don't get it.

What gives you the authority to demand the taxpayers subsidize some **** food company's **** wages?

and how do they do that, by creating unconstitutional laws?

there is no wealth redistribution in the u.s. constitution.

no one should receive a dime from government...it was not created to take care of people for provide business or people with money or services.

and how do they do that, by creating unconstitutional laws?

there is no wealth redistribution in the u.s. constitution.

no one should receive a dime from government...it was not created to take care of people for provide business or people with money or services.

Bull-****ing-****.

Every single ****ing penny passing through government hands redistributes wealth, so stop pretending that wealth is only redistributed with programs keeping people from starving and rioting in the streets. 15% capital gains tax versus 30% income tax redistributes a whole hell of a lot more wealth than safety nets.

Bull-****ing-****.

Every single ****ing penny passing through government hands redistributes wealth, so stop pretending that wealth is only redistributed with programs keeping people from starving and rioting in the streets. 15% capital gains tax versus 30% income tax redistributes a whole hell of a lot more wealth than safety nets.

well tell me were government can redistribute wealth from one person to another, or give loans to banks, bailout GM.....where is the authority under the powers of congress to do that.

Bull-****ing-****.

I really can't think of a polite way to express the degree of stupidity required to believe that not taking more of someone's money is "redistribution of wealth".

try to have more respect for people who are just trying to find some way to feed their families ... How much does a person making $100,000 make an hour? Let's say 40 hours a week, 50 weeks (2 weeks off unpaid) ... that comes out to $50 an hour ... is that what burger flippers are asking for? Let's give them $12.50 an hour ... what does that get them a year? 12.50 an hour, 40 hours a week, they'd make $500 a week times 50 weeks ... what is that? $25,000? Just over the poverty threshhold for a family of four. Let's give them $15 an hour - $600 a week, times 50 - $30,000? Too much?

But let's forget burgers ... Wal Mart's CEO makes about 1040 times the median wage of a Wal Mart worker ... That's O.K., right? Roughly half of Wal Mat workers are around or below the poverty threshhold ... That O.K.?

I'm not a republican ...and in no way advocating that people should be continue to be depressed. Here is my point, again ...many of those Mc Donalds workers have qualification beyond high school....their ambition was never to work at McDonald. But as fate would have it the economic condition leave them little choice... and it appears they now want McDonalds to do for them ...what their intended ambition and goals were.

The democratic politicians have latched onto this idea ...and it seems we're missing the point here!!

The country cannot morph into a place where McDonalds go from a place people worked to get pocket change ....to being a career choice on which you should be able to raise a family.

Whats galling is while the dems in congress is rallying for these McDonald career .....they are busy infusing millions more into the country with this new immigration bill!!

Tied to the immigration bill ....is an infusion of engineers and technical workers under the HB-1 visas ....because American engineers pounding the pavement looking for a job today (especially those over 50) don't have enough to deal with!!
That plan will depress everybody's wages when corporations can quickly fill positions with cheap, educated.... foreign labor.

And yes congress rally for minimum wage increase ...while injection millions of unskilled laborers into the country under your amnesty bill...I'm sure you'll get Walmart to comply then...sheesh!! :doh

Where the hell have the boldness and creativity of America gone???

I will say it again ...the McDonalds jobs were never meant for you to work at and raise your kids, get health care, pay rent in NEW YORK...and pay your bills.
This is why I say it's a fool's gold!!

I disagree. Restaurant jobs did used to be real jobs with viable pay for people to live on (albiet at the low end of the scale). The problem is that cost of living increased (a mixture of inflation and increased expectations) and low-end wages haven't increased in line with that. These jobs became jobs for college kids because the wages became relatively low, not the other way around.

I think there is a fundamental problem with how we value people these days. Basic manual labour used to have some element of basic respect but now anyone in this kind of low-end job is treated like scum. I suspect the fact there are a lot of immigrants taking them is relevant to (though the cause and effect could be going both directions there).

We can continue to think in this manner but we will have to accept that this will mean millions more people who are effectively unemployed. Even if everyone was capable of obtaining some form of skill or qualification, there aren't anything like enough skilled jobs to go around. The unskilled jobs still need to be done and unless we provide a living wage to do them, nothing is going to improve.

Let me know next time a Wal-Mart employee has to make decisions such as the CEO makes, then you'll have something valid to discuss, 'kay?

Are you trying to **** me? The average age of fast food chains of employees is 29. Get a life Mr. Republican.

The Right wants a Lord/Serf society and they're almost there:

6-25-10inc-f1.jpg

Last edited:
Are you trying to **** me? The average age of fast food chains of employees is 29. Get a life Mr. Republican.

That's about right. One sixty-five year old, two eighteen-year olds and one 17 year olds and you've got an average age of 29 even though only one of the four has reached drinking age.

well tell me were government can redistribute wealth from one person to another, or give loans to banks, bailout GM.....where is the authority under the powers of congress to do that.

Building roads, buying ammunition, vaccination programs, all of these redistribute wealth. Stop acting like "redistribution of wealth" is what you take issue with. What you take issue with is redistribution of wealth to people you don't like. Where is the constitutional authority for Congress to buy bombs from Lockheed Martin for the USAF? I need the specific sentence in the US constitution that authorizes this.

What do Dem and republicans working together have to do with the wage agreement between an fast food workers and management in New York? Nothing of course. The workers are doing the right thing. If they dont like the wage, they should quit. They did. Now its up to the fast food chain to replace them or raise the wage to attract them back. Free market economics at work.

Here's a quarter. Get the deluxe plan. (haven't bought a Papa John's pizza since his hissy fit, incidentally)

Where do I get the authority? Where do you get the audacity to demand that the taxpayer subsidize ****ty pay from companies like that?

What taxpayer money is going to Papa Johns?

Back
Top Bottom