• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrat Eric Swalwell suggests “kicking every Russian student” out of U.S. universities

Guilt by association? Brilliant, Chinese Spy Lover.
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – A Bay Area Representative suggested in a CNN interview that the country should kick “every Russian student out” of universities in retaliation against Russian President Vladamir Putin.

Rep. Eric Swalwell was interviewed on Thursday. In the interview, Swalwell said that “closing their embassy in the United States” and “kicking every Russian student out” of the country should be on the table.

Here is Swalwell’s full response from the interview:

“Everything we do has to be aligned with our allies and the fact that we were able to get the Germans to stop this pipeline, that’s huge. That’s U.S. leadership on the international stage, and so, we want to move with our allies in NATO but also in countries, like Japan, who can, you know, take quite swift and severe actions against Russia. But yes, on the table should be sanctioning Putin personally. Completely taking them out of the European and international banking system which is known as SWIFT. Frankly, I think closing their embassy in the United States, kicking every Russian student out of the United States, those should all be on the table, and Putin needs to know that every day that he is in Ukraine, there are more severe options that could come.”

I see Democrats are back to their same ways in the 1940s. Punishing American students because of their ethnicity?

Pathetic.

So he's advocating booting out people because they are Russian?

So if people start attacking people with "Russian-sounding" names here in the U.S., will Swalwell be blamed like Trump was blamed for the uptick in Asian-American attacks?

I think we need to be careful here.

1. With sanctions, they probably won’t be able to afford their next tuition payment in most cases anyway
2. These students are unlikely to be responsible for the current Ukraine situation
3. We should avoid indiscriminately punishing Russians with the current national mood. That doesn’t lead to a good place.

I am not sure the policy is wrong but we shouldn’t be doing poorly thought out things in the heat of passion either.

This is the kind of thing that loser right wingers sugggest. He should apologize immediately.

Yeah! Round them up and hold them in internment camps like FDR.

Maybe the gov't has some pox blankets to keep them warm! Go Brandon Democrats!

Stupid idea.

So if people start attacking people with "Russian-sounding" names here in the U.S., will Swalwell be blamed like Trump was blamed for the uptick in Asian-American attacks?
How can you tell a person has a "Russian-sounding" name just by looking at them?

I think thats a dumb idea at this time.
Is there any time it wouldn't be a dumb idea? I guess it wouldn't be dumb in a scenario of direct warfare between two countries, but even then I imagine there might still be a case for continuing exposure to Western culture and values of the other country's future academics and leaders. Of course in that scenario odds are their own families/government would insist on their return.

Um...he's not talking about citizens of Russian heritage, he's talking about actual Russians attending US colleges. Lord.

Actual Russians attending US colleges and then going back home and sharing their expertise with a nation eager
to use it against us.
I don't see why removing them is a bad idea.

I also don't want North Korea sending their kids to US colleges either, unless they're willing to let them STAY here.

I'd go the other way. Offer citizenship.

The EU should offer European citizenship to every Russian soldier who wants to defect. Putin would lose his army in a day.

Okay, if they're whiz kid A students, I'll agree with that too, offer them a path to citizenship.
But if they're just here to bring it home to help an enemy nation's war efforts, sorry...no can do.

Noooo, that isn't the idea.
IF these students have student visas and no path to legal residency or US citizenship and they are from a nation that is currently engaged as
an adversary, I see nothing wrong with the "chess move" of "Sorry, go train your future warriors somewhere else till you stop the war".

I realize it's awful for these kids but again, USSR booted out American students, and so has the Russian Federation, several times.

Noooo, that isn't the idea.
IF these students have student visas and no path to legal residency or US citizenship and they are from a nation that is currently engaged as
an adversary, I see nothing wrong with the "chess move" of "Sorry, go train your future warriors somewhere else till you stop the war".

I realize it's awful for these kids but again, USSR booted out American students, and so has the Russian Federation, several times.
If these kids are likely to be the future academics, influencers and leaders of a foreign country, will their time in America make them more likely or less likely to guide their country towards democracy, human rights, prosperity and peacefulness?

If it was North Korean students studying to be nuclear physicists I suppose a solid case could be made that the likely harm outweighs the possible benefits.

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – A Bay Area Representative suggested in a CNN interview that the country should kick “every Russian student out” of universities in retaliation against Russian President Vladamir Putin.

Rep. Eric Swalwell was interviewed on Thursday. In the interview, Swalwell said that “closing their embassy in the United States” and “kicking every Russian student out” of the country should be on the table.

Here is Swalwell’s full response from the interview:

“Everything we do has to be aligned with our allies and the fact that we were able to get the Germans to stop this pipeline, that’s huge. That’s U.S. leadership on the international stage, and so, we want to move with our allies in NATO but also in countries, like Japan, who can, you know, take quite swift and severe actions against Russia. But yes, on the table should be sanctioning Putin personally. Completely taking them out of the European and international banking system which is known as SWIFT. Frankly, I think closing their embassy in the United States, kicking every Russian student out of the United States, those should all be on the table, and Putin needs to know that every day that he is in Ukraine, there are more severe options that could come.”

I see Democrats are back to their same ways in the 1940s. Punishing American students because of their ethnicity?

Pathetic.
This guy is nuts ....... needs to take a nap.

Actual Russians attending US colleges and then going back home and sharing their expertise with a nation eager
to use it against us.
I don't see why removing them is a bad idea.

I also don't want North Korea sending their kids to US colleges either, unless they're willing to let them STAY here.

What about Russians that are u.s citizens?

What about Russians that are u.s citizens?

They're US citizens.
I am not concerned about US citizens regardless of their nationality.

All I want is to limit the ability of an adversary to leverage what they get here to use against us here.
I normally do not even worry the least little bit about it, but now that Putin has started a war, there is cause for concern for his nationals to use
what we provide, against us.
They can seek a university education elsewhere till Putin withdraws from Ukraine.

Back
Top Bottom