• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrat Eric Swalwell suggests “kicking every Russian student” out of U.S. universities

If it was North Korean students studying to be nuclear physicists I suppose a solid case could be made that the likely harm outweighs the possible benefits.

That's what I am concerned about.
If a Russian national is attending university studying art, I'm not concerned.
If they're studying medicine, also not concerned.

War leverages technology, and I am concerned about that.
I don't want to kick out kids who are studying art, literature, cooking, psychology, medicine.

Dumb idea!

If I were President I would push to fast track every Russian student that wanted it to Citizenship in the U.S. as long as they renounced their Russian Citizenship. As for any that didn't want it, I would just leave them be.
That's actually not such a bad idea. You have to figure that the Russians which are attending US universities are their brightest and best, and why not offer them an opportunity to stay. I think their 'renounced their Russian Citizenship' is a key to this working, and working well.

I'd go the other way. Offer citizenship.

The EU should offer European citizenship to every Russian soldier who wants to defect. Putin would lose his army in a day.
Possibly. But you can't forget those Russian soldier's families still stuck back home.

Did China invade someone recently or is this just some random comment?
You seem to be forgetting Taiwan, under threat from China and their Communist party.

Russians are an ethnic group. Do you need more clarification than that?
"Russian" is not an ethnic group. There are many ethnic groups within Russia. I can't believe I had to say this.

That's actually not such a bad idea. You have to figure that the Russians which are attending US universities are their brightest and best, and why not offer them an opportunity to stay. I think their 'renounced their Russian Citizenship' is a key to this working, and working well.
Not necessarily, but they're probably the richest.

You're the one who made the comment about Swalwell not mentioning Chinese students.

Yeah, like the one he was shacking up with, who turned out to be a Chinese communist spy.

And this guy was kept on the House Intelligence Committee.

So I don't think he's in a position to credibly lecture anybody on national security. He couldn't even keep his pants secure.

It’s not as crazy as it seems at first.

I think democratic nations need to treat Russia as a pariah nation in almost every way if they insist on conquering other nations. There’s not much way to hurt Russia without hurting relatively innocent Russians. Maybe at some point they demand better from their leaders.

Maybe take them if they renounce their Russian citizenship or something.

Dumb idea, but he doesn't seem to be alone.

This idea isn't as dumb as Swalwells'

**** them kids. Russian oligarchs hold the real power in Russia and if you can squeeze their ****ing families something might get done. Makes more sense than punishing a bunch of regular Russian students studying abroad.

Possibly. But you can't forget those Russian soldier's families still stuck back home.
Easy enough to get a citizenship request granted for wives and children. Bring em all over.

Yeah! Round them up and hold them in internment camps like FDR.

Maybe the gov't has some pox blankets to keep them warm! Go Brandon Democrats!
Agreed. It sounds like something Trump would say.

So you DO see Russian nationals* as Americans.
No. We just don't want to hold them accountable for what putin's doing.
Hmmmm, now do Mexicans. 😆😆😆
Nobody wants to punish mexicans bro. Only the cartels. ONLY the people trafficking and violating US law, and yes, unfortunately, there are american citizens who join them and do that too. All should be held to account.

Your average mexican family who just wants to live and work here and is willing to do what it takes to become a citizen? yea, that's a good thing.
*As long as they love Trump and slurp Putin, right?
wtf are you talking about? russian "nationals" are protesting putin all over moscow at great cost to their lives! what are we doing holding Putin's actions against them? Most russian nationals didn't even know this was going to happen.
PS: The Soviet Union AND Russia have kicked American citizens out of universities on several occasions in the past.
Did you make shit up and cry then?
Well, the soviet no longer exists, and I say we PROBABLY don't want copy russia, i think that's a BAD precedent to set. If your opponent does something against civilians, we should do it too?

There is not a single doubt of this.
Oh give me a break. He couldn’t crack the top ten of GOP crazies. His comment was dumb, worthy of Trump, but for all we know he was thinking of children of Russian oligarchs.

Yeah, like the one he was shacking up with, who turned out to be a Chinese communist spy.

And this guy was kept on the House Intelligence Committee.

So I don't think he's in a position to credibly lecture anybody on national security. He couldn't even keep his pants secure.
7Moi.gif

This idea isn't as dumb as Swalwells'

**** them kids. Russian oligarchs hold the real power in Russia and if you can squeeze their ****ing families something might get done. Makes more sense than punishing a bunch of regular Russian students studying abroad.
How many of the Russians attending school here aren't the children of oligarchs?

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – A Bay Area Representative suggested in a CNN interview that the country should kick “every Russian student out” of universities in retaliation against Russian President Vladamir Putin.

Rep. Eric Swalwell was interviewed on Thursday. In the interview, Swalwell said that “closing their embassy in the United States” and “kicking every Russian student out” of the country should be on the table.

Here is Swalwell’s full response from the interview:

“Everything we do has to be aligned with our allies and the fact that we were able to get the Germans to stop this pipeline, that’s huge. That’s U.S. leadership on the international stage, and so, we want to move with our allies in NATO but also in countries, like Japan, who can, you know, take quite swift and severe actions against Russia. But yes, on the table should be sanctioning Putin personally. Completely taking them out of the European and international banking system which is known as SWIFT. Frankly, I think closing their embassy in the United States, kicking every Russian student out of the United States, those should all be on the table, and Putin needs to know that every day that he is in Ukraine, there are more severe options that could come.”

I see Democrats are back to their same ways in the 1940s. Punishing American students because of their ethnicity?

Pathetic.
It's not about ethnicity. It's about cutting off the Russian oligarchs from American society. Financial and otherwise. Let's face it, poor average Russians can't afford to send their kids to school in the US.

Putin's oligarchs are his support. Punishing Putin alone just won't do it. We have to go after everyone, which is what most countries are doing now. We need to freeze all their assets and impose suffering on any and all wealthy Russians.

Any expulsion could be temporary depending on how Russia acts. Can't leave any cards on the table while Putin murders thousands of innocent people. The man is mad. You can't deal with mad in any conventional ways.

That's what I am concerned about.
If a Russian national is attending university studying art, I'm not concerned.
If they're studying medicine, also not concerned.

War leverages technology, and I am concerned about that.
I don't want to kick out kids who are studying art, literature, cooking, psychology, medicine.
That sounds very consoling and in normal times would make good sense. It's not the kids we're punishing. It's the wealthy oligarchs who are close to Putin that will be punished.

Russia is clearly the enemy. Why allow the enemy's kids to benefit from an American university? I say toss them all, nicely.

No mention of Chinese students I see.

Swallows-well knows too well to want that.

0_DSOL_Christine_Fang_2.jpg

Conservatives: “We’re not racist and it’s offensive to claim to we are racists.”

Also Conservatives: “Here’s a picture of a Democrat with a random Asian person assuming all Asian people are Chinese citizens.”

Conservatives: “We’re not racist and it’s offensive to claim to we are racists.”

Also Conservatives: “Here’s a picture of a Democrat with a random Asian person assuming all Asian people are Chinese citizens.”

You mean it's racist to point out that Swalwell was having sex with Chinese spy? So CCP is now protected from criticism because of race?

Last edited:
You mean it's racist to point out that Swalwell was having sex with Chinese spy? So CCP is now protected from criticism because of race?

I retract my statement, but maybe a link might be good in the future.

Back
Top Bottom