• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could a Kremlin assassin get to Putin?

He's an illegitimate head of state and a war criminal. Standards have to be applied according to the circumstances.

I mean, by that standard so’s MBS, but the US would be VERY upset if Russians whacked him.

No one is indicating that the US be involved in any assassination attempt on Putin. What a disgruntled Russian might do on order to literally save his country from ruin is quite another matter.
I did not mean to imply that you were doing that (even the title of your OP is very clear), but there are some (few) posts in here at least contemplating the possibility.

Unfortunately, probably not:

"Could an assassin kill Putin? Just as the second world war would not have happened without the demonic will and agency of Adolf Hitler, so the invasion of Ukraine – and its horrific bloodshed and unspeakable human misery – is Putin’s war. Can he be stopped? The bad news is that the chances do not look good at the moment.

Putin is protected 24/7 by one of the world’s strongest security details, who have sealed him in a closed bubble. All access to him is strictly – almost manically – controlled, in much the same way as it was for Stalin and Hitler. The chances of a lone outside assassin like Fanny Kaplin – a Jewish Ukrainian woman, who, in 1918, fired three bullets into the Bolshevik leader Lenin, touching off a series of strokes that crippled and eventually killed the Soviet dictator – getting to the dictator are zero. If Putin is to be stopped, ousted, and arrested or assassinated, the authors of such an attempt will have to come from within the clique who surround him. Desperate times spawn desperate remedies, and only when the clique think that their own futures are directly imperiled by Putin’s increasingly dangerous actions are they likely to act.

So if the close circle of Generals and corrupt yes men on whom Putin’s power rests are sufficiently alarmed by the increasingly chaotic course of the Ukraine war and the world’s horrified reaction to it, is there the faintest chance that they will take a leaf from the playbook of Beria and Tsar Paul’s officials and end the crisis by bumping off their boss?

As the options open to the kleptocrats and and former secret policemen who Putin has protected and promoted close down, and the rage of the Russian people themselves rise, the best hope for ending this crisis may well rest with bad men acting to bring down the still worse and possibly deranged dictator who is leading them and Russia into the abyss."

What if the assassin was pissed off at Putin because he believed Putin was too soft on Ukraine? You can't just assume that the Guard may not be worse than the Dictator

I mean, by that standard so’s MBS, but the US would be VERY upset if Russians whacked him.

I certainly don't think we should do the whacking, but as a matter of principle, I'm not opposed to a coup. The problem, of course, is you don't know who takes his place. There's no guarantee the replacement would be any better.

On a side note, one can only imagine the hue and cry that would ensue if one of the Russian posters here started a thread fantasizing about a assassin blowing away Joe Biden.

I certainly don't think we should do the whacking, but as a matter of principle, I'm not opposed to a coup. The problem, of course, is you don't know who takes his place. There's no guarantee the replacement would be any better.

The odds of there being a coup are somewhere between “slim” and “none”.....and the US actively supporting a coup against Putin is hardly likely to make the Russian people more enthusiastic about the principles of Western liberalism.

What if the assassin was pissed off at Putin because he believed Putin was too soft on Ukraine? You can't just assume that the Guard may not be worse than the Dictator
It’s a chance we would have to take, isn’t it. And I see that fellow Putin apologist oneworld agrees with you.

On a side note, one can only imagine the hue and cry that would ensue if one of the Russian posters here started a thread fantasizing about a assassin blowing away Joe Biden.
On a side note, I can only imagine why you are such a steady Putin apologist.

The odds of there being a coup are somewhere between “slim” and “none”.....and the US actively supporting a coup against Putin is hardly likely to make the Russian people more enthusiastic about the principles of Western liberalism.

Who said anything about “the US (as a government) actively supporting a coup”. Why the constant lying strawmen from you?

On a side note, I can only imagine why you are such a steady Putin apologist.

Ah yes, so much “apologism”. Do you ever get tired of humiliating yourself?

Who said anything about “the US (as a government) actively supporting a coup”. Why the constant lying strawmen from you?

Yawn. If a Russian made a thread fantasizing about a plot to kill Joe Biden you’d be wetting yourself in outrage. Spare us the posturing.

I don't disagree with any of the above.

The only way there's a coup is if Russian soldiers don't get paid.

Ah yes, so much “apologism”. Do you ever get tired of humiliating yourself?

Doing the Gish Gallop again, eh? Why am I not surprised that you are unable to speak for yourself.

Yawn. If a Russian made a thread fantasizing about a plot to kill Joe Biden you’d be wetting yourself in outrage. Spare us the posturing.
I am using my free speech to express my total disgust with an evil madman murderous thug. You are using your free speech to be an apologist for that murderous thug. Well, at least we have free speech, so unlike the citizens under that murderous thug.

It’s a chance we would have to take, isn’t it. And I see that fellow Putin apologist oneworld agrees with you.

All I am saying is one cannot assume an outcome simply because it favours one's wishes. There has to be a basis for the assumptions that Putin’s guard are men who differ with him on policy. The fact is that much of the top hierarchy in Russia have always believed Putin was too timid in 2014. According to their assessment the then Ukrainian Army in 2014 was broken and Putin could have maximized the penetration into the Donbass.

All I am saying is one cannot assume an outcome simply because it favours one's wishes. There has to be a basis for the assumptions that Putin’s guard are men who differ with him on policy. The fact is that much of the top hierarchy in Russia have always believed Putin was too timid in 2014. According to their assessment the then Ukrainian Army in 2014 was broken and Putin could have maximized the penetration into the Donbass.

All I am saying is that there are no doubt plenty of citizens in Russia that would assassinate if they had the means because of the manner in which he is both murdering Ukrainians and ruining his own nation. That is by far the most probable motive.

All I am saying is that there are no doubt plenty of citizens in Russia that would assassinate if they had the means because of the manner in which he is both murdering Ukrainians and ruining his own nation. That is by far the most probable motive.

Is that really how Russians see things?

Doing the Gish Gallop again, eh? Why am I not surprised that you are unable to speak for yourself.

Providing the evidence you claimed didn’t exist. Duh.

I am using my free speech to express my total disgust with an evil madman murderous thug. You are using your free speech to be an apologist for that murderous thug. Well, at least we have free speech, so unlike the citizens under that murderous thug.

You are engaged in silly fantasizing that you’d be outraged over if the shoe was on the other foot. As usual.

Putin must be stopped. Anyone or anyway will do. If we stop him by choking off his economy, great. If someone can get to him and make him disappear, that's also great.

Negotiating with a homicidal war criminal is not an option in my book.

Then you don't believe in the rule of law and justice. That's fine, but we need to call it what it is: mob rule; mob justice.

I'm not surprised since you're from the same camp that cheered on the riots.

What's important is that people need to see this and recognize the type of people we're dealing with - a mob.

Then you don't believe in the rule of law and justice. That's fine, but we need to call it what it is: mob rule; mob justice.

Maybe Putin can fall out of a 23rd floor window like many of his opponents?

Accidents happen.

Unfortunately, probably not:

"Could an assassin kill Putin? Just as the second world war would not have happened without the demonic will and agency of Adolf Hitler, so the invasion of Ukraine – and its horrific bloodshed and unspeakable human misery – is Putin’s war. Can he be stopped? The bad news is that the chances do not look good at the moment.

Putin is protected 24/7 by one of the world’s strongest security details, who have sealed him in a closed bubble. All access to him is strictly – almost manically – controlled, in much the same way as it was for Stalin and Hitler. The chances of a lone outside assassin like Fanny Kaplin – a Jewish Ukrainian woman, who, in 1918, fired three bullets into the Bolshevik leader Lenin, touching off a series of strokes that crippled and eventually killed the Soviet dictator – getting to the dictator are zero. If Putin is to be stopped, ousted, and arrested or assassinated, the authors of such an attempt will have to come from within the clique who surround him. Desperate times spawn desperate remedies, and only when the clique think that their own futures are directly imperiled by Putin’s increasingly dangerous actions are they likely to act.

So if the close circle of Generals and corrupt yes men on whom Putin’s power rests are sufficiently alarmed by the increasingly chaotic course of the Ukraine war and the world’s horrified reaction to it, is there the faintest chance that they will take a leaf from the playbook of Beria and Tsar Paul’s officials and end the crisis by bumping off their boss?

As the options open to the kleptocrats and and former secret policemen who Putin has protected and promoted close down, and the rage of the Russian people themselves rise, the best hope for ending this crisis may well rest with bad men acting to bring down the still worse and possibly deranged dictator who is leading them and Russia into the abyss."

Odds are you are correct.

I'm not surprised since you're from the same camp that cheered on the riots.

What's important is that people need to see this and recognize the type of people we're dealing with - a mob.

What about Putin’s actions in Ukraine? You seem to carefully avoid that portion of the discussion .

Back
Top Bottom