• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could a Kremlin assassin get to Putin?

The problem is that the "good guys" using assassination gives carte blanche to everyone.

Well, it isn't as though Vladimir Putin has sworn off the use of political assassinations, Manc Skipper. Assassination is kind of his modus operandi.

I think the best argument against assassination is not a moral one. Quite the opposite actually. It is infinitely more moral to kill one wicked tyrant than thousands or tens of thousands of poor young men press-ganged into fighting his atrocity-laden war. Rather, the best argument against assassination is that if it is traced back to one of our governments, our national government has just committed a brazen act of war against a rival nuclear power which can be met with the most horrific reprisal.

...is that if it is traced back to one of our governments, our national government has just committed a brazen act of war against a rival nuclear power which can be met with the most horrific reprisal.

That too.

A very sensitive subject, indeed.

I keep thinking that bad "human beings" like that Kremlin monster must constantly live in fear that he has unintentionally angered someone in his own circle.

I think of that leader in India who discovered tragically how unfaithful one of her own bodyguards was.

And, I seem to remember some leaders in South Korea were, uh, "retired" by someone in their own circles.

All we can do is hope that ...

That the advocating of the murder of a head of state is allowed here is evidence of just how low the standards are and how the ignorant jingoists have taken over the asylum

That the advocating of the murder of a head of state is allowed here is evidence of just how low the standards are and how the ignorant jingoists have taken over the asylum

He's an illegitimate head of state and a war criminal. Standards have to be applied according to the circumstances.

The problem is that the "good guys" using assassination gives carte blanche to everyone.

He doesn't care one way or the other; he'll use assassination whether we advocate it or not. For the record, I'd much rather Putin be arrested by his own men and put on trial, either in Russian court or in a foreign one. Better yet, an Ukrainian court. And jailed in an Ukrainian jail. That would be justice.

Well, it isn't as though Vladimir Putin has sworn off the use of political assassinations, Manc Skipper. Assassination is kind of his modus operandi.

I think the best argument against assassination is not a moral one. Quite the opposite actually. It is infinitely more moral to kill one wicked tyrant than thousands or tens of thousands of poor young men press-ganged into fighting his atrocity-laden war. Rather, the best argument against assassination is that if it is traced back to one of our governments, our national government has just committed a brazen act of war against a rival nuclear power which can be met with the most horrific reprisal.

Which is why I specifically mentioned Russians, primarily his inner circle since he hasn’t been anywhere close to a “common” Russian for years.

“Ignorant jingoists” says the Putin lover who never has a bad word to say about him. Uh-huh.

He's an illegitimate head of state and a war criminal. Standards have to be applied according to the circumstances.

Many think Biden is an illegitimate head of state, so should he be murdered?

Bush. Blair, their govs and every US president since WW2 are war criminals or certainly worthy of indictment and trial. Should they be murdered, I mean the ones that are not dead of assassinated amoong the list?.

It is also against the rules of the forum afaik to advocate for real life crimes.

Your post is yet just another emotionally charged parcel of junk that appears only to want the murders of official state enemies for crimes that your own have also been responsible for.

here's a standard you cam apply to your commentary that appears to be absent, consistency.

“Ignorant jingoists” says the Putin lover who never has a bad word to say about him. Uh-huh.

Correct ignorant jingoists with zilch in the way of consistency

So you would support a Russian, or anyone else seeing as there are plenty of other candidates, who came over and killed your president? Sure you would.

Bush. Blair, their govs and every US president since WW2 are war criminals or certainly worthy of indictment and trial. Should they be murdered, I mean the ones that are not dead of assassinated amoong the list?.

It is also against the rules of the forum afaik to advocate for real life crimes.

Your post is yet just another emotionally charged parcel of junk that appears only to want the murders of official state enemies for crimes that your own have also been responsible for.

here's a standard you cam apply to your commentary that appears to be absent, consistency.
Uh, okay.

LOL - "Putin lover"

The poster's reply to “Ignorant jingoists” is a taunt dripping with jingoism drawn from political ignorance and tribalism.

More whataboutism.

Correct ignorant jingoists with zilch in the way of consistency

So you would support a Russian, or anyone else seeing as there are plenty of other candidates, who came over and killed your president? Sure you would.

Biden is not slaughtering innocent civilians, nor is he wantonly destroying their country. More false equivalence from you. Is Putin laying you well?

LOL - "Putin lover"

The poster's reply to “Ignorant jingoists” is a taunt dripping with jingoism drawn from political ignorance and tribalism.

If my “tribalism” underlies my condemnation of the murderous thug Putin, then I’m guilty.

Does anyone here support assassinating Putin or any head of state?
Putin must be stopped. Anyone or anyway will do. If we stop him by choking off his economy, great. If someone can get to him and make him disappear, that's also great.

Negotiating with a homicidal war criminal is not an option in my book.

Biden is not slaughtering innocent civilians, nor is he wantonly destroying their country. More false equivalence from you. Is Putin laying you well?

He is assisting the KSA headchoppers to kill folk in Yemen. He is arming the Ukrainians so they can fight with Russians. He has troops in Syria illegally. All could be used as a justification for what YOU are advocating. You never thought this through did ya?

He is assisting the KSA headchoppers to kill folk in Yemen. He is arming the Ukrainians so they can fight with Russians. He has troops in Syria illegally. All could be used as a justification for what YOU are advocating. You never thought this through did ya?

Yemen is a problem. That doesn’t mean that whataboutism in any way shape or form justifies Putin’s murderous actions in Ukraine.
Would you prefer that the US send welcome mats for the Ukrainians to spread out to the Russians?
Are you aware of the murder and destruction that Putin and Assad unleashed on the citizens of Syria?
Yes, we live in a real world, not in your fantasy world of whataboutism. Deal with it. Biden has to.

The hysterics are in town .

Scared silly by a boogy woogy man who does not want NATO on his doorstep and hates the low quality of US bio labs cluttering his back yard .

The hysterics are in town .

Scared silly by a boogy woogy man who does not want NATO on his doorstep and hates the low quality of US bio labs cluttering his back yard .

More parroting of Putin lies. We expect nothing else.

Biden has to.
The man who cannot control wetting his pants and farts loudly in company ?

Might be a good fight if he took on Goofy .

The man who cannot control wetting his pants and farts loudly in company ?

Might be a good fight if he took on Goofy .

What are your thoughts about Putin”s wanton murder and destruction in Ukraine?

I think an even more apt argument against assassination of any head of state that one considers (justly or unjustly and in this case justly) an enemy of monstrously criminal behaviour, is that it would set a precedent for such actions to become acceptable and, by that process, potentially customary.

Let the moralists sort out the morals, I don't want that can of worms to be opened alone on the practical repercussions that would serve in opening a new reality of international relationships, by which no Heads of State ever enjoy diplomatic immunity ever again.

Doesn't mean I'd be much perturbed if Volodya keeled over tomorrow from a heart attack or if some of his own offed him, but we shouldn't be involved in it.

Case in point being that it would have been great if the German conspirators of June 20 had succeeded in offing Hitler but the Allies offing him would only have found some acceptance if that had happened in the course of combat action (including an air raid) with a nation we (they) were at war with.

"We're" not at war with Russia.

I'm even of two minds over the US having turned over Saddam to a hostile Shia government that they (the US) installed, since there was no doubt that he'd be wasted by the very same. No matter how much he deserved it. A trial by an international court (better than Nuremburg at that) would have created more credibility of whatever judgment.

But yeah, even with large parts of the US administration and even its military sharing my discomfort (or I theirs) at the time, one can't always have it all.

Lastly I'll dwell, against my original intention, on the moral issue here wrt just one point. Offing minor echelons (no matter how little the "minor") may have become tolerable thru practice (Soleimani comes to mind), extending the practice to heads of state is something I don't want to see.

Let's face it, assassination is murder by the original linguistic (Arabic) origin of the word. Spanish (spoken where I live) has no other word for a murderer than "asesino". With a killer (not the distinction) being "matador".

I think an even more apt argument against assassination of any head of state that one considers (justly or unjustly and in this case justly) an enemy of monstrously criminal behaviour, is that it would set a precedent for such actions to become acceptable and, by that process, potentially customary.

Let the moralists sort out the morals, I don't want that can of worms to be opened alone on the practical repercussions that would serve in opening a new reality of international relationships, by which no Heads of State ever enjoy diplomatic immunity ever again.

Doesn't mean I'd be much perturbed if Volodya keeled over tomorrow from a heart attack or if some of his own offed him, but we shouldn't be involved in it.

Case in point being that it would have been great if the German conspirators of June 20 had succeeded in offing Hitler but the Allies offing him would only have found some acceptance if that had happened in the course of combat action (including an air raid) with a nation we (they) were at war with.

"We're" not at war with Russia.

I'm even of two minds over the US having turned over Saddam to a hostile Shia government that they (the US) installed, since there was no doubt that he'd be wasted by the very same. No matter how much he deserved it. A trial by an international court (better than Nuremburg at that) would have created more credibility of whatever judgment.

But yeah, even with large parts of the US administration and even its military sharing my discomfort (or I theirs) at the time, one can't always have it all.

Lastly I'll dwell, against my original intention, on the moral issue here wrt just one point. Offing minor echelons (no matter how little the "minor") may have become tolerable thru practice (Soleimani comes to mind), extending the practice to heads of state is something I don't want to see.

Let's face it, assassination is murder by the original linguistic (Arabic) origin of the word. Spanish (spoken where I live) has no other word for a murderer than "asesino". With a killer (not the distinction) being "matador".

No one is indicating that the US be involved in any assassination attempt on Putin. What a disgruntled Russian might do on order to literally save his country from ruin is quite another matter.

Back
Top Bottom