• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Concealed Carry Question

I tend to see a bit of it around here. We have a lot of plinkers and squirrel hunters that use that over the "varmint' rounds so that's actually a bit easier to find in my city than some of the big game stuff. Here .338 Lapua is a BITCH to find(I don't need it now but looking into buying that configuration), and some of the Weatherby configurations are tough as well.

Out here I can get .300WMR and .17HMR off the shelf. Of course I don't own anything that eats that stuff but I can get pretty much all I want.:lol:

Out here I can get .300WMR and .17HMR off the shelf. Of course I don't own anything that eats that stuff but I can get pretty much all I want.:lol:
.17 isn't hard to find here, funny enough it's not a popular round in La. .300 I think I might have seen exactly once on the shelves.

.17 isn't hard to find here, funny enough it's not a popular round in La. .300 I think I might have seen exactly once on the shelves.

I've seen .300 here in upstate SC pretty regularly, but .17 rarely ever. That's pellet-gun caliber...

I don't understand why people think a .22LR in a short barreled pistol is good for self defence? Don't get me wrong it IS better than nothing. I however would not trust my life to it. I am not referring to it as a rifle round which for what it is, is or can be affective. As a pistol round... Not so much.

I know someone will try and post the discredited Marshall/Sanow book and data...

Book Review: Street Stoppers
Sanow Strikes (Out) Again
Undeniable Evidence
Book Review: Handgun Stopping Power - The Definitive Study

It is as I said better than nothing, but please don't be fooled by those charlatans false statistics.

This video is much more helpful from a doctor who actually treats firearm wounds...

Warning the video is graphic.

Last edited:
I've seen .300 here in upstate SC pretty regularly, but .17 rarely ever. That's pellet-gun caliber...
Oh yeah. .17 isn't good for much more than a ground hog or squirrel, nothing a decent .22 won't handle without any issues, which is why they don't sell well here. The thing that always messes with my head is seeing that completely unpopular round on the shelves and not seeing much better rounds anywhere to be had.

I don't understand why people think a .22LR in a short barreled pistol is good for self defence? Don't get me wrong it IS better than nothing. I however would not trust my life to it. I am not referring to it as a rifle round which for what it is, is or can be affective. As a pistol round... Not so much.

I know someone will try and post the discredited Marshall/Sanow book and data...

Book Review: Street Stoppers
Sanow Strikes (Out) Again
Undeniable Evidence
Book Review: Handgun Stopping Power - The Definitive Study

It is as I said better than nothing, but please don't be fooled by those charlatans false statistics.

This video is much more helpful from a doctor who actually treats firearm wounds...

Warning the video is graphic.
For defense a .22 is horrid, no question about that. The big issue is whether or not the assailant can continue to attack, whereas a bigger caliber will stop that attack quickly, the bigger issue is wound control after a .22 shooting. The assailant may still succeed in the attack but could die anyway due to massive bleedout or organ damage.

For defense a .22 is horrid, no question about that. The big issue is whether or not the assailant can continue to attack, whereas a bigger caliber will stop that attack quickly, the bigger issue is wound control after a .22 shooting. The assailant may still succeed in the attack but could die anyway due to massive bleedout or organ damage.

Absolutely. With a .22 to much of a chance to continue. And also you have in a pistol lower muzzle velocity than a .22 rifle. So even penetration will be lacking. That would be my major concern with a small caliber round. Don't get me wrong I carry a .380 as well as a .45. Like I said even a .22 is better than nothing, lol.

The moral of the story is if you don't get that Dustoff MEDEVAC yer toast
hah after watching the vid guess you'd never wanna blast anyone with anything less than your main battle rifle
cuz all yer ever gonna do is piss em off

The moral of the story is if you don't get that Dustoff MEDEVAC yer toast
hah after watching the vid guess you'd never wanna blast anyone with anything less than your main battle rifle
cuz all yer ever gonna do is piss em off

No. The moral of this story is use the biggest caliber you are capable of. If you can't use anything but a .22, use it. It is still better than nothing.

The .357, 40, 10mm and .45 are fine defence rounds that will stop an attack much quicker than smaller calibers. The .17, .22, .25, .380, 9mm, 38 and 38 spcl are better for backup duty. Of course in the case of the .380 on up with high quality modern rounds, it makes them more effective than back when I was a cop.

oh i was talking about the video you posted what I got from it was the doc was like: if the patient was shot with a rifle there's not much to do. so when you were a cop did you have an M-4 with ya? Or just a 12 gauge? a 155mm howitzer perhaps?

No. The moral of this story is use the biggest caliber you are capable of. If you can't use anything but a .22, use it. It is still better than nothing.

The .357, 40, 10mm and .45 are fine defence rounds that will stop an attack much quicker than smaller calibers. The .17, .22, .25, .380, 9mm, 38 and 38 spcl are better for backup duty. Of course in the case of the .380 on up with high quality modern rounds, it makes them more effective than back when I was a cop.

My duty piece in the AF was the old, reliable K-38 Combat Masterpiece with what amounted to +P ammo. Well, that and an M-16.....and occasionally an M-60.

My duty piece in the AF was the old, reliable K-38 Combat Masterpiece with what amounted to +P ammo. Well, that and an M-16.....and occasionally an M-60.

Mine was a 105mm Rifled cannon and an M-240 coax. Forgot to mention the commanders .50 cal in the cupola. When not in the M60a3, I had a very old 1911 Colt Government .45 and M3a5 grease gun. Can you tell it was still in the 80's, lol.

oh i was talking about the video you posted what I got from it was the doc was like: if the patient was shot with a rifle there's not much to do. so when you were a cop did you have an M-4 with ya? Or just a 12 gauge? a 155mm howitzer perhaps?

Then you got a hyperbolic and simply wrong message.

I have always carried a .357 or .45 in one form or another.

A sgt on the department fired 3 38 spl +P rounds at a suspect through a car windshield. The suspect went down and he and other officers approached the car. The suspect had fainted as the 3 rounds were sitting on the dashboard. He went and purchased a Colt Python 357 the next day.

Back
Top Bottom