• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Complying with armed criminals is a crapshoot. Be prepared to take them out before they take YOU out.

if you significantly increase the number of guns in circulation, there will be more available to criminals,
Are you making an argument for law-abiding citizens no longer buying firearms for self-protection, because criminals may somehow get ahold of them?

This video is a perfect example of WHY law-abiding citizens need to have a CCW, PRACTICE AND TRAIN, and be prepared to take out any armed piece of frigging crap who may kill you over a few dollars. Anti-gunners..... THIS CAN HAPPEN TO YOU. The criminals don't give two shits about your life. They will KILL YOU so there is no witness. Get it? Protect yourself!!!!!

This is not the wild west.

I'm not convinced that video is actually such strong evidence for your case. It doesn't show the criminal arriving for some reason, but it seems likely that if he stepped up to the counter just like a normal customer and suddenly pulled out his gun, the clerk wouldn't be able to react quickly enough to draw his own weapon in response. Also, if a criminal is willing and able to kill their victims, knowing that they are or are likely to be armed just means they'll be more likely to kill victims immediately. Plus, if you significantly increase the number of guns in circulation, there will be more available to criminals, since pretty much all guns used in crimes will have been leally bought and owned at some point. You risk having more petty criminals having access to and the will to use firearms during their crimes like this.

The wider issue isn't clear cut and I'm not sure there is any easy right answer, but I certainly don't think this one example really progresses that debate in any way.
I don't know if you watched the entire video, but the host makes note of 2 separate points where the murderer is distracted and that if the clerk had had a weapon on him he could have taken the murderer out. Many times, because a robber is nervous, they will start looking around for cops and other customers who may be entering, and take their eyes off the clerk long enough for a counter-ambush. There are even examples of that on the channel that this video came from.

"A Colorado judge has sentenced a 30-year-old man to life in prison without parole for killing a 19-year-old during a robbery last year in Fort Collins."

"The Commerce City Police Department is searching for three suspects who allegedly shot and killed a man and then stole a truck."

" A man shot and killed last week by a pawn shop clerk while trying to rob the store had an extensive criminal record and warrants out for his arrest, authorities said Thursday. A second robber remains at large."

"A Colorado judge has sentenced a 30-year-old man to life in prison without parole for killing a 19-year-old during a robbery last year in Fort Collins."

This is evidence that what you propose will not work.

"The Commerce City Police Department is searching for three suspects who allegedly shot and killed a man and then stole a truck."

More guns will not make us safer.

" A man shot and killed last week by a pawn shop clerk while trying to rob the store had an extensive criminal record and warrants out for his arrest, authorities said Thursday. A second robber remains at large."

This is very sad and could have been avoided. I am just glad the clerk was unharmed.

It sure seems to be for the armed robbers!! So if you are a convenience store clerk who, statistically would have a higher chance of being robbed given the job, how do you keep yourself from being coldly executed like this poor soul in the video?

It sure seems to be for the armed robbers!! So if you are a convenience store clerk who, statistically would have a higher chance of being robbed given the job, how do you keep yourself from being coldly executed like this poor soul in the video?

I have done that job and I can tell you that those companies do not allow their employees to be armed.

I would rather nobody get shot.

Republicans need to revise their gun ownership rules and regulations.

This is very sad and could have been avoided. I am just glad the clerk was unharmed.
Did you purposefully not note the cited story of the pawn shop owner defending himself and killing his attacker?

What have I proposed?

A gun may make a victim not a victim.

What have I proposed?

You proposed everybody get a CCP. I have no objection to people carrying as long as they are properly trained and are not doing so just because states like Texas allow it.

A gun may make a victim not a victim.

Maybe so. What about the people who get shot in the crossfire.

Around 20K people die from gun-related crimes, etc. in the US annually.

To put that in context:

Around 35K people die from auto accidents in the US annually

Heart disease kills more than 690,000 people annually in the US
Cancer kills more than 600,000 people annually in the US
Accidents (in general) kill more than 200,000 people annually in the US

I fully support your right to carry, legally.

But I'm not going to stress out so much about something with very low probabilities of impacting me.

You proposed everybody get a CCP. I have no objection to people carrying as long as they are properly trained and are not doing so just because states like Texas allow it.
Please cite where I suggested this.
Maybe so. What about the people who get shot in the crossfire.
Where has this happened?

Most of those do not allow people to carry while working due to liability issues.
I'm not talking about independently owned 7/11, Circle K and Stop N go stores, which the owners own their stores but still have to follow company guidelines. I'm talking about the individual "mom and pop" family-run type stores of which there are plenty and yes many do allow their employees (family members) to have a gun behind the counter and even carry one on them.

America 2022

Shoot first.

I will, If someone shows that they may plan to shoot me.
wouldn't it be easier for the criminal/person that hates you to just shoot you/your family in the back before you know what happened??

In a report Third Way recently released, we found that murder was much more prevalent in red states than blue states. That’s right. In 2020, homicide rates were a stunning 40 percent higher in the 25 states that former President Donald Trump won compared to the 25 won by current President Joe Biden. Of the 10 states with the highest 2020 per capita murder rates in America, eight of them not only voted for Trump in 2016 and 2020, they voted Republican in every presidential election this century.

Mississippi — a state that neither conjures up weak on crime images nor Democratic officeholders — topped the charts with a 2020 murder rate twice that of blue Illinois, thrice that of bluer California, and four times that of bluest New York. The red states of Louisiana, Kentucky, Alabama and Missouri rounded out the top five and each had murder rates at least six times Massachusetts, four times New Jersey and just shy of twice that of Michigan. These blue states are home to the “crime-is-out-of-control” cities you read about daily — Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Boston, Newark and Detroit. They generate the headlines, the outrage and the political backlash.

Yet, media coverage is essentially mum about Lexington, Kentucky, which has set back-to-back murder records, has a homicide rate twice that of New York City and has a Republican mayor. Tulsa and Oklahoma City have Republican mayors, a Republican governor and murder rates that dwarf that of Los Angeles. Jacksonville was the murder capital of Florida in 2020 with its Republican mayor, governor and a stratospheric homicide rate that if it were matched in New York City would’ve added more than 1,000 murders that year.

And to top it off, the homicide rate in Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-Calif.) San Francisco was half that of House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) Bakersfield, the largest city in Kern County and one with a Republican mayor — with overwhelming Trump support and not a whiff of flirtation with defund the police movements. In fact, the murder capital of California for six years running is sleepy Kern County, 130 miles from Los Angeles and 306 miles from San Francisco, the two California locales most often associated with the crime-is-out-of-control national headlines that have dominated U.S. crime and political coverage.

Aren't these the states with armed citizens?

What's your point? Do you think it's the Republicans in those states that you cherry picked who are committing most of the murders?

I'm sincerely glad of that fact. Others, like the clerk in the video, were not as fortunate. Do you live in one of the areas of Chicago that has a high crime rate, or one of the safer areas?

25% of armed robbers end up assaulti ng their victims regardless of compliance. Sometimes including murder.
Source for that percentage please.

Back
Top Bottom