• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colorado police beat, hogtie septuagenarian with dementia and then deny her medical treatment

I am happy to see the police chief in the Chauvin trial not throwing up a blue wall of defiance in Chauvin's defense.

Yeah, but the fact that was so surprising is also an indication of how rare an occurrence it is.

Hardly. But you can't deny that if legal and lawful directions were followed the undesirable end result would have been avoided.

Didn't think the cited report stated the police beat her.

I thought this thread was about cited case?

So, if a subject does not follow legal and lawful direction from LEOs, what then?
The LEO should just let them go?
No? What then?
How much experience have you had in similar situations?

Make even a cursory effort to determine why someone might not be responding to your directions. Was there any immediate threat to either the officer or the public that warranted tackling a 73 year old woman to the ground, injuring her in multiple ways, lying about it on the report, and then refusing medical treatment for around 6 hours?

Well, now I have one side of the story.
I'd like to have the Police Officers version of the events.
Then I can better understand what happened here.

Hardly. But you can't deny that if legal and lawful directions were followed the undesirable end result would have been avoided.

So, if a subject does not follow legal and lawful direction from LEOs, what then?
No? What then?
Garner has dementia and sensory aphasia, an inability to understand spoken and written speech​

Try another defense of this cop's behavior because your current angle is broken bullshit.

He was using sarcasm.
Yep

Society need police officers.

They serve a vital role in keeping order and safety. Any and all people serving in law enforcement, from police, judge's, prison guards etc, need to be held to a high standard regarding behavior on and off the job. Those that can't nerd to be removed from the job

No? What then?

Certainly not the police should just beat them into submission. That will provide an.example for all to see.

Or you know, they can do their job in a respectful manner, as to expect respect you should provide it as well.

They can escalate the level of force based on the need at the time. Beating and shooting should be a last resort not the go to action

The video is the cop's meaning that video IS his side of the story. You just didn't watch it because it would thwart your attempts at trolling the thread.

The little old lady made the police officer afraid for his life. He had to change his underwear after as she was so frightening he shat himself

I think that was disgusting and inexcusable. Bully cops, killer cops, they cast a gray cloud over the entire police force, they need to be removed, like a cancer. Those who think this is fine are a big part of the problem in this country. Break an old lady's arm and dislocate her shoulder for a $14 dollar item she may have forgotten to pay for, or murder a black American who may have passed a counterfeit twenty.....these pigs who commit these crimes have got to go!
We hear "a few bad apples" from time to time. IMO the whole damn orchard is rotten.

It's bad police training, and you should want to see changes.
Not so much 'bad training' as bad people - brutal uncaring and lacking any trace of common decency. A competent selection process should weed out low-level psychopaths before training even starts.

I just watched a video of someone recording a police stop from their own porch. The officer leaves his suspect totally unattended, runs over to the guy recording him, tells him he is interfering, and tackles him to the ground.

It's beyond out of hand. Too many cops have been taught that the law doesn't apply to them and they can do pretty much whatever the hell they want.
That's insane.

Then I can better understand what happened her

Go watch the cop's body camera footage as it shows the interaction.

That IS a training issue.
How so? What training are American police getting that resulted in this incident? Surely their training includes physical tactics to deal with people, but surely their training also includes lots of guidelines for the use of force.

I think it's the culture. Look at what the sargent said. It's like professional football players or other groups that have physical dominance as a main theme. Some seem to get so into the domination aspect that they lose control and/or lose sensitivity to individual differences and needs. The thought process seems to be, "Criminal, not cooperating, dominate physically." And enough of their culture seems to approve of it: the sargent seems to be saying, "Good tackle!"

It parallels chattel slavery: controlling human bodies and dehumanizing the group. And policing is said to stem from slave patrols. Controlling bodies is a big part of policing. They aren't reasonable about it because they want to intimidate everyone else. It's the same thing with US militarism: mess with the US and we'll show you and the world what happens.

In writing this I see that a significant part of the problems is the stereotypical American attitude. That doesn't mean that America and American cops are the only ones like this.

Also, this is why people in certain areas have given up on police reform. The cops act like an occupying force.

It's bad police training, and you should want to see changes.
This is it. The cop clearly thinks he is 100% in the right from confronting her all the way to the police station. You can hear it when he defends his actions to the guy who confronted him on his actions on the street. Some take their authority as if they get to declare a mini-martial law in their immediate area where the goals change from being "to protect and serve" to that of a king lording over others.

Yep

Society need police officers.

They serve a vital role in keeping order and safety. Any and all people serving in law enforcement, from police, judge's, prison guards etc, need to be held to a high standard regarding behavior on and off the job. Those that can't nerd to be removed from the job

Agreed.
Certainly not the police should just beat them into submission. That will provide an.example for all to see.
In this case there was no beating reported. Accepted that no one does, nor has expressed, nor should, support that police arrive on scene and instantly start beating people. Is there any citations that support that this is what the police are doing?
Or you know, they can do their job in a respectful manner, as to expect respect you should provide it as well.

They can escalate the level of force based on the need at the time. Beating and shooting should be a last resort not the go to action
This is the general arc that these cases, when all of the details are finally reported, have in fact taken.

Another shining example of American policing.

Karen Garner suffers from dementia and sensory aphasia. She had just left a Wal Mart with a grand total of $13.88 in items she had forgotten to pay for and was walking home. An officer approaches her and Garner, confused and unable to understand what he is saying, continues walking. Less than 10 seconds after their first encounter, Officer Austin Hoops had slammed the 73 year old to the ground and handcuffed her. She was later hog tied. Her injuries included a dislocated shoulder, broken arm, sprained wrist, and a bloody lip, but you wouldn't know that from the initial police report, which claimed she had no injuries.

After more than 6 hours in detention without any treatment, Garner was finally taken to a hospital. We still have to see if she will also be portrayed as a thug who deserved the treatment she received.

Getting old in this country is no bargain. It has not been even a fair deal for a long time now. However we seem to have entered a phase where the elderly are more likely to be put in a half-Nelson and subsequently body slammed by the police than have a cop help one across a busy intersection.

This country gets sadder by the second.

No? What then?
You are indeed supporting police violence. You're saying this lady provoked this vicious assault. How about this? If she didn't follow directions, the officer got in front of her and repeated them more forcefully? See? He has alternatives that didn't involve violence. He chose violence instead. What would you call it when you break someones are and dislocate their shoulder? How is that not a beating?

. Accepted that no one does, nor has expressed, nor should, support that police arrive on scene and instantly start beating people.
But it's okay if they start beating them after a minute, or maybe two. Got it.

Agreed.

In this case there was no beating reported. Accepted that no one does, nor has expressed, nor should, support that police arrive on scene and instantly start beating people. Is there any citations that support that this is what the police are doing?

This is the general arc that these cases, when all of the details are finally reported, have in fact taken.

They also reported she wasn't injured.

I would consider a dislocated shoulder, broken arm, sprained wrist, and a bloody nose to be injuries, but what do I know?

I don't think that anyone is going to argue with you that the police are human beings, capable of good and bad, but for every article you can post similar to this, I can post a hundred thousand of the good and great things police are doing in our communities, therefore your premise is faulty at best and admittedly not worth the time or effort.

Some US police seem to be inhuman beings with psycopathic tendencies. How can it be that they were recruited in the first place?

Agreed.

Here we go with the delay defense. "I will wait until there a full trial has occurred before commenting on this issue". Seems to roll out of right wing mouths every time a politician with an R next to their name is busted doing something wrong as also with authoritarian figures in society.

I am happy to see the police chief in the Chauvin trial not throwing up a blue wall of defiance in Chauvin's defense.
Occasionally they have to throw a cop under the bus to save the bus.

But it's okay if they start beating them after a minute, or maybe two. Got it.

If even. It was 10 seconds from the first interaction to the officer throwing this old lady to the ground and injuring her.

Garner has dementia and sensory aphasia, an inability to understand spoken and written speech​

Try another defense of this cop's behavior because your current angle is broken bullshit.
You are indeed supporting police violence. You're saying this lady provoked this vicious assault. How about this? If she didn't follow directions, the officer got in front of her and repeated them more forcefully? See? He has alternatives that didn't involve violence. He chose violence instead. What would you call it when you break someones are and dislocate their shoulder? How is that not a beating?

Damn... even someone older with dementia is not safe from the police breaking bones and causing all sorts of injuries just to get her into a squad car, oh and it was dubious for the police report to say "no injuries."

I guess we should look on the bright side, at least no one held her down with a knee for 9 minutes killing her or simply "mistakenly" shooting her looking for the taser.

Back
Top Bottom