• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colorado police beat, hogtie septuagenarian with dementia and then deny her medical treatment

Excast

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Another shining example of American policing.

Karen Garner suffers from dementia and sensory aphasia. She had just left a Wal Mart with a grand total of $13.88 in items she had forgotten to pay for and was walking home. An officer approaches her and Garner, confused and unable to understand what he is saying, continues walking. Less than 10 seconds after their first encounter, Officer Austin Hoops had slammed the 73 year old to the ground and handcuffed her. She was later hog tied. Her injuries included a dislocated shoulder, broken arm, sprained wrist, and a bloody lip, but you wouldn't know that from the initial police report, which claimed she had no injuries.

A Loveland police sergeant, identified in the lawsuit as Phil Metzler, arrives on scene. At one point, the video shows Metzler commenting about how muddy the officers are.

"A little bloody. A little muddy. That's how it works,"

After more than 6 hours in detention without any treatment, Garner was finally taken to a hospital. We still have to see if she will also be portrayed as a thug who deserved the treatment she received.

Karen Garner suffers from dementia and sensory aphasia. She had just left a Wal Mart with a grand total of $13.88 in items she had forgotten to pay for and was walking home. An officer approaches her and Garner, confused and unable to understand what he is saying, continues walking. Less than 10 seconds after their first encounter, Officer Austin Hoops had slammed the 73 year old to the ground and handcuffed her. She was later hog tied. Her injuries included a dislocated shoulder, broken arm, sprained wrist, and a bloody lip, but you wouldn't know that from the initial police report, which claimed she had no injuries.

After more than 6 hours in detention without any treatment, Garner was finally taken to a hospital. We still have to see if she will also be portrayed as a thug who deserved the treatment she received.

Is this the "white privilege" I keep hearing about?

Is this the "white privilege" I keep hearing about?
Possibly. Had she been black, it probably would have moved right to the firearms portion of the program.

In any case....what happened here was totally ****ed up and needs to not happen in the future. It also needs to stop being excused.

I don't think that anyone is going to argue with you that the police are human beings, capable of good and bad, but for every article you can post similar to this, I can post a hundred thousand of the good and great things police are doing in our communities, therefore your premise is faulty at best and admittedly not worth the time or effort.

I think that was disgusting and inexcusable. Bully cops, killer cops, they cast a gray cloud over the entire police force, they need to be removed, like a cancer. Those who think this is fine are a big part of the problem in this country. Break an old lady's arm and dislocate her shoulder for a $14 dollar item she may have forgotten to pay for, or murder a black American who may have passed a counterfeit twenty.....these pigs who commit these crimes have got to go!

I don't think that anyone is going to argue with you that the police are human beings, capable of good and bad, but for every article you can post similar to this, I can post a hundred thousand of the good and great things police are doing in our communities, therefore your premise is faulty at best and admittedly not worth the time or effort.

Say for the sake of argument that that were true. That 99% of actions by police are good. Let's further suppose that there is zero systemic racism by the police, that a Black person is no more and no less likely to receive police violence than a white person is.

How would you feel about those odds if you got pulled over?

Possibly. Had she been black, it probably would have moved right to the firearms portion of the program.

In any case....what happened here was totally ****ed up and needs to not happen in the future. It also needs to stop being excused.
Had she been black there'd be riots across the nation and the cop would be under arrest.

Why is American cop culture so messed up?

It's bad police training, and you should want to see changes.
"Change" is not a univocal term, and I'm quite confident I wouldn't like the "changes" your ilk would like to make.

"Change" is not a univocal term, and I'm quite confident I wouldn't like the "changes" your ilk would like to make.
Do you prefer seeing 70 year olds getting beat up and body slammed by cops? Everybody should want to see changes in policing over things like this.

When I start to see police coming forward en masse, calling out the rot within their ranks and demanding change, then I will be more willing to give the good guys the benefit of the doubt.

Where are they?

There are no words. :eek::cry:

Had she been black there'd be riots across the nation and the cop would be under arrest.

As there should be now. Let the record reflect that it doesnt take a black person being abused for me to say its ****ed up.

I would bet she wont have to threaten litigation, though. I would bet dollars to donuts the city will just offer up a sum of money versus if she were a person of color, they would make her at least file suit.

I think it's the power trip culture, not bad training.
Isnt one just a product of the other, though?

When you are trained that you are the be all end all, it leads to you believing it, hence the power trips.

Cops vs Peons, Druggies, Crazy People, Uppity people, People who got misreported, homeless people, anyone wearing a hoodie.

IMO, this situation was very badly handled by police in several ways, and disciplinary punishment and reforms are needed. Having said that, I think it's also looking dangerous for her to be going to the store alone with dementia, because of risks like these.

Say for the sake of argument that that were true. That 99% of actions by police are good. Let's further suppose that there is zero systemic racism by the police, that a Black person is no more and no less likely to receive police violence than a white person is.

How would you feel about those odds if you got pulled over?

Quite simply, it is true.....the police have great positive impact on communities as a whole, end of story, no matter the agenda of race baiters.

When I start to see police coming forward en masse, calling out the rot within their ranks and demanding change, then I will be more willing to give the good guys the benefit of the doubt.

Where are they?

You live in a fantasy world, in lala land, the twilight zone......in the meantime you are going to demean and destroy those who protect our communities and uphold our laws.....more lawlessness from the left.

You live in a fantasy world, in lala land, the twilight zone......in the meantime you are going to demean and destroy those who protect our communities and uphold our laws.....more lawlessness from the left.

Our communities are not protected when a man tosses a 73 year old suffering from dementia to the ground and then refuses to provide her medical assistance for the injuries he caused.

Our communities are not protected when a man is slowly murdered by police over the course of almost 10 minutes over a counterfeit $20 bill.

Our communities are not protected when a report of someone playing with a toy gun in a park is met with immediate deadly force and a 12 year old corpse.

Our communities are not protected when cops put shots into the back of fleeing, unarmed suspects.

Our communities are not protected when people are so terrified of police abuse that they refuse to contact them.

That IS a training issue.
It's a recruiting issue as well. You can tell someone the right way to approach a situation, but if they are a jackass looking to throw their weight around and feel a little power, that is going out the window.

If only should would comply with police orders.

If she did that then none of her injuries would have occurged

Back
Top Bottom