• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colorado police beat, hogtie septuagenarian with dementia and then deny her medical treatment

Do you prefer seeing 70 year olds getting beat up and body slammed by cops? Everybody should want to see changes in policing over things like this.
I'd prefer police discriminate between old women with dementia and young black thugs. Whatever your pretenses in this thread, I'm pretty sure that's not what you want.
I would bet she wont have to threaten litigation, though. I would bet dollars to donuts the city will just offer up a sum of money versus if she were a person of color, they would make her at least file suit.
I cannot comprehend the level of delusion required to think this.

Spend some time as a caregiver for a dementia patient before you judge them. Sometimes they slip out. There like little kids that way. They need close watching and locked doors.
?

I'm not blaming the lady. I'm blaming the caregiver who wasn't present.

She's clearly not responsible for much of what she's up to.

Garner has dementia and sensory aphasia, an inability to understand spoken and written speech​

Try another defense of this cop's behavior because your current angle is broken bullshit.

Consider we KNOW all this about her medical condition, but have no idea who was supposed to be watching her?

We're so quick to shame police for volunteering to be society's universal help desk (and often coming up short) but the people who create the situations slide right along, and no one seems to learn anything.

?

What bear is getting at is that blaming the caregiver might be misplaced too. I know of a caregiver who went to the bathroom for 2 minutes and it lead to a 4.5 hour hunt for thier charge who had wandered into the alley out back and just kept walking.

Short of chaining them up, sometimes its a risk you run to do somethings.

Consider we KNOW all this about her medical condition, but have no idea who was supposed to be watching her?

We're so quick to shame police for volunteering to be society's universal help desk (and often coming up short) but the people who create the situations slide right along, and no one seems to learn anything.
Her family was watching her and she just walked out of the house. That happens. And you are absolutely correct that the police are called for things they shouldn't be called for but they get all the damn money and when you say something about restructuring the police so that mental health professionals address mental health calls, they and the right lose their shit and tell you that you hate the police. I see no one on the right calling for a restructuring of policing. Just ore money for policing the same way.

What bear is getting at is that blaming the caregiver might be misplaced too. I know of a caregiver who went to the bathroom for 2 minutes and it lead to a 4.5 hour hunt for thier charge who had wandered into the alley out back and just kept walking.

Short of chaining them up, sometimes its a risk you run to do somethings.

Perhaps I am taking this personally, being a caregiver myself.

I can't imagine neglecting my charge so dramatically that they are getting grabbed by police, or finding a way to blame anyone but myself for such an outcome.

I'd prefer police discriminate between old women with dementia and young black thugs. Whatever your pretenses in this thread, I'm pretty sure that's not what you want.

So whooping a young black thug is good in your book, is it?

Perhaps I am taking this personally, being a caregiver myself.

I can't imagine neglecting my charge so dramatically that they are getting grabbed by police, or finding a way to blame anyone but myself for such an outcome.
Hell no.....the job you do is a bitch. You are to be commended for doing it.

You dont have to be neglectful to go take a dump and find out your charge has gone missing. It happens.

Her family was watching her and she just walked out of the house. That happens. And you are absolutely correct that the police are called for things they shouldn't be called for but they get all the damn money and when you say something about restructuring the police so that mental health professionals address mental health calls, they and the right lose their shit and tell you that you hate the police. I see no one on the right calling for a restructuring of policing. Just ore money for policing the same way.

We aren't disagreeing. First I'm hearing on that aspect, and wouldn't mind a link. That's still neglect, but possibly of a lesser sort.

I point to police unions for the lack of progress on policy changes, though I'm sure there's blame to go around.

?

Exactly, Spend some time in their shoes. Sometimes caregivers have to sleep, and go to the bathroom.

Hardly. But you can't deny that if legal and lawful directions were followed the undesirable end result would have been avoided.

Didn't think the cited report stated the police beat her.

I thought this thread was about cited case?

So, if a subject does not follow legal and lawful direction from LEOs, what then?
The LEO should just let them go?
No? What then?
How much experience have you had in similar situations?
That‘s completely beside the point. Yes people should comply but cops should actually use that lump of gray shit in their heads. Who in their right mind applies that level of force to a little old lady? No thinking person really cares whether the force was authorized or not. What matters is was it reasonable given the circumstances and anyone who suggests this level force in this circumstance is appropriate needs to live alone on an island far away from the rest of humanity.

That's a shame and we lack detail, but at face value someone with that diagnosis probably shouldn't be permitted to run around alone to avoid this exact type of scenario.

Maybe her condition worsened rapidly, but even so someone should have intervened a LONG time before the police got involved.

I'd bet her family's up in arms today. Where were they when granny was roaming the streets half out of her mind? Where should they have been?

I'm a caregiver myself to a disabled woman, and this lady was being neglected before police entered the picture.

They were quick to go to force, but the lady was resisting and evading throughout, and it does seem like they were treating her like any other person they were called out on.

If we want to make special rules for the elderly in police custody let's hear some ideas, but we can't apply them retroactively.
"They were quick to go to force, but the lady was resisting and evading throughout, and it does seem like they were treating her like any other person they were called out on."

Glad I'm not 'any other person.' But wait, am I ??? Ohoh...

The problem is, the nature of the job attracts people who should not be cops.

That's one problem, but not the only problem. Note also that politics in general attracts those with a desire to rule over other people.

Well, now I have one side of the story.
I'd like to have the Police Officers version of the events.
Then I can better understand what happened here.
Considering that the officer lied on the arrest I wonder how useful anything he says is going to be.

Do you prefer seeing 70 year olds getting beat up and body slammed by cops? Everybody should want to see changes in policing over things like this.
What changes in policing would you like to see made over this incident?

Please quote from the OP's citation where 'They also reported she wasn't injured'. I skimmed the article and I didn't see that in there.

Yes, those are injuries.
Video shows the arrest report. It says she wasn’t injured.

We aren't disagreeing. First I'm hearing on that aspect, and wouldn't mind a link. That's still neglect, but possibly of a lesser sort.

I point to police unions for the lack of progress on policy changes, though I'm sure there's blame to go around.

The reality is that it's often extremely hard to take care of elderly relatives suffering from dementia. You can try to spend time with them, but taking the step to remove an individual from their home doesn't come lightly and it can be hard to determine when someone has reached the point where they are no longer safe to leave alone. Home health aids are expensive and not a permanent, full time solution. And if you have a job? Other obligations? It's just not feasible to expect a family member to upend their live for an indeterminate number of months, years, or even decades to keep an eye on someone 24/7.

Another shining example of American policing.

Karen Garner suffers from dementia and sensory aphasia. She had just left a Wal Mart with a grand total of $13.88 in items she had forgotten to pay for and was walking home. An officer approaches her and Garner, confused and unable to understand what he is saying, continues walking. Less than 10 seconds after their first encounter, Officer Austin Hoops had slammed the 73 year old to the ground and handcuffed her. She was later hog tied. Her injuries included a dislocated shoulder, broken arm, sprained wrist, and a bloody lip, but you wouldn't know that from the initial police report, which claimed she had no injuries.

After more than 6 hours in detention without any treatment, Garner was finally taken to a hospital. We still have to see if she will also be portrayed as a thug who deserved the treatment she received.

So this is an unfortunate incident. However let's look at the facts. Walmart reports a shoplifting. Police show up and tell the woman to stop and try to question her and she is acting somewhat confused. They are responding to a reported crime. She tries to leave. Here is where the problems start. The police are not going to just let her leave, so if she tries she will be restrained. Necessary force is going to be used, and that is reasonable. Other officers arrive and she continues to appear to resist any cooperation. From the video I didn't see any clear physical injury, no blood and I could not tell she had a dislocated shoulder. Not saying it's not so but you can't see it.
Furthermore, if this woman has dementia, if she has communication issues and if she is having cognitive issues that would keep her from being able to remember she didn't pay for something and cannot communicate, why is she out walking alone and not with someone supervising her.
It's unfortunate but certainly not an intentional attempt to harm the women. Had she been able to clearly communicate, had she voluntarily stopped, gotten cuffed, sat in the squad car as police tried to sort things out this would probably end much differently.
I feel for this elderly woman, but I wonder why her family is not ensuring her adequate care.
Now, I do think it's possible the original officer may have used more force than needed by forcing her to the ground, but that's not clear either from the video because he does have to detain her and she is not cooperating at all.

So this is an unfortunate incident. However let's look at the facts. Walmart reports a shoplifting. Police show up and tell the woman to stop and try to question her and she is acting somewhat confused. They are responding to a reported crime. She tries to leave. Here is where the problems start. The police are not going to just let her leave, so if she tries she will be restrained. Necessary force is going to be used, and that is reasonable. Other officers arrive and she continues to appear to resist any cooperation. From the video I didn't see any clear physical injury, no blood and I could not tell she had a dislocated shoulder. Not saying it's not so but you can't see it.
Furthermore, if this woman has dementia, if she has communication issues and if she is having cognitive issues that would keep her from being able to remember she didn't pay for something and cannot communicate, why is she out walking alone and not with someone supervising her.
It's unfortunate but certainly not an intentional attempt to harm the women. Had she been able to clearly communicate, had she voluntarily stopped, gotten cuffed, sat in the squad car as police tried to sort things out this would probably end much differently.
I feel for this elderly woman, but I wonder why her family is not ensuring her adequate care.
Now, I do think it's possible the original officer may have used more force than needed by forcing her to the ground, but that's not clear either from the video because he does have to detain her and she is not cooperating at all.

10 seconds.

What changes in policing would you like to see made over this incident?
What kind of question is this? Old ladies should not get beaten by cops and end up in the hospital. Cops shouldn't esculate the situation. They should deescalate it. Beating this woman was not necessary. Don't use disproportionate force. Don't use violence and deadly force when it's not necessary.

What kind of question is this? Old ladies should not get beaten by cops and end up in the hospital. Cops shouldn't esculate the situation. They should deescalate it. Beating this woman was not necessary. Don't use disproportionate force. Don't use violence and deadly force when it's not necessary.
You think the opposite is taught to policemen now?

young black thugs? as opposed to thugs? Interesting. We aren't racially profiling enough according to you. They should have beaten an old black thug for shoplifting instead of an old white lady for shoplifting.

You think the opposite is taught to policemen now?

The thing that seems to be taught to cops now is overlooking the shitty behavior of their peers out of fear of retaliation/losing their jobs.

I'd prefer police discriminate between old women with dementia and young black thugs. <snip>
Well, at least you are honest about your beliefs. Better than some who come to threads to excuse police brutality, almost gleeful over the idea a black person was brutalized or killed, and feign shock when people call them out for it.

Back
Top Bottom