• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Classified Info Found on Past Secretaries' Private Email

There is no comparison here... This is nothing more than an attempt by the Obama Administration and the media to marginalize the incompetence and illegal practices of Hillary Clinton.

Let's compare:

Powell & Rice: Used web-based email accounts they didn't control
Hillary Clinton: Used private email server she 100% controlled

Powell & Rice: 12 total emails between them, and none were sent or received by Rice. Powell disputes the "classification" findings.
Hillary Clinton: Over 2000 emails sent or received deemed classified.

Powell & Rice: None contained intelligence information.
Hillary Clinton: Some did contain intelligence information

Powell & Rice: None were/are classified as "Top Secret"
Hillary Clinton: Some are alleged to be "Top Secret"

Powell & Rice: During Powell's tenure, email hacking was in it's infancy.
Hillary Clinton: During Clinton's tenure, email security was a big and well known problem

Powell & Rice: Powell & Rice didn't try to cover up their emailing
Hillary Clinton: Clinton tried to cover up using her private email server for government business

Powell & Rice: Didn't have the power to permanently delete any of their emails
Hillary Clinton: Had the power and did in fact permanently delete 10's of thousands of her emails.

Powell & Rice: Their practices did not hamper FOIA requests.
Hillary Clinton: Her practices did and still do hamper FOIA requests.

Powell & Rice: Didn't say no gov business was conducted on webmail accounts, nor attempted to hide emails.
Hillary Clinton: Said all gov business conducted was turned over to State Dep, when she in fact had deleted an unspecified number of them.

Powell & Rice: Had and used secure State Dep email accounts and conducted nearly all government business on them.
Hillary Clinton: Never created a secure State Dep email account and conducted all government business on her personal, unsecured, private email server.

Powell & Rice: Their actions are not the subject of an FBI criminal investigation
Hillary Clinton: Her actions are the subject of an FBI criminal investigation

Powell & Rice: Are not running for President of the United States, making this issue an internal government matter.
Hillary Clinton: Is running for President of the United States, making this a very relevant issue for the public at large to fully understand.

just out of curiosity, how many people do you know who work for the federal government?

also, are you calling the military a pack of liars?

I have several friends who are retired from FBI, one who is currently employed by Dept of Agriculture, several who work for FAA. Over the years I have worked closely with the FAA for 2 different companies I worked for.

I call the Pentagon a group of known liars, yes. The record is pretty darn clear. Several members of the 911 Commission wanted to charge several Pentagon officials with perjury for their constant story-changing in that effort.

I have several friends who are retired from FBI, one who is currently employed by Dept of Agriculture, several who work for FAA. Over the years I have worked closely with the FAA for 2 different companies I worked for.

I call the Pentagon a group of known liars, yes. The record is pretty darn clear. Several members of the 911 Commission wanted to charge several Pentagon officials with perjury for their constant story-changing in that effort.

so do you stand by your statement that "most people in the federal government are pathological liars"?

So you think its better if I conduct the nation's business through say Yahoo mail rather than a server controlled by me?

Other Secretaries Handled Classified Material on Private Email, State Dept. Concludes - ABC News

The State Department’s internal investigation arm issued a final memorandum today on the email practices of past and current secretaries of state, and it said definitively that past secretaries handled classified material on unclassified email systems.

The same claims were made in an early February memo when the State Department's inspector general first announced it was conducting a records review related to the email accounts of five secretaries of state -- Madeline Albright, Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, Hillary Clinton and John Kerry -- and their immediate staff.

------

Hmmm. Looks like this horrible felonious behavior was pretty common. I wonder when Fox News is going to call for Condi Rice's prosecution?

Retroactively classified. The Right's latest continuing witch hunt is straight-up ex post facto crap.

so do you stand by your statement that "most people in the federal government are pathological liars"?

No I retract that statement, if I ever made it.

I know several active and more retired federal people, and none of them are pathological liars as far as I know. They are good people.

But I will say that many elected officials in both branches are pathological liars, though they rationalize their behavior. And I will say that Pentagon spokesmen are professional liars--their job often demands it. You know, everything is so classified.

The government lies by default it seems. Check out the case Reynolds v. US if you want to see it in action, under oath. You can find that case at 345US1, back in March 1953. Yes, it's been going on for a long time.

Retroactively classified. The Right's latest continuing witch hunt is straight-up ex post facto crap.

Hey, look on the bright-side, if Hillary gets indicted we get Bernie! The Democrats will retain the White House either way, because the Republicans committed suicide by letting Trump get as far as he has.

Hey, look on the bright-side, if Hillary gets indicted we get Bernie! The Democrats will retain the White House either way, because the Republicans committed suicide by letting Trump get as far as he has.

But Trump has a big schlong, thus he is perfectly qualified to be the next president. ;)

So you think its better if I conduct the nation's business through say Yahoo mail rather than a server controlled by me?

This is the only thing you can come up with?

The denial in you is very strong.

This is the only thing you can come up with?

Oh no, that was a particular point of interest in the rest of the nonsense you posted. I want to know if you really think conducting the nation's business through Yahoo mail is somehow better than through a server you control, as you implied.

Oh no, that was a particular point of interest in the rest of the nonsense you posted. I want to know if you really think conducting the nation's business through Yahoo mail is somehow better than through a server you control, as you implied.

Setting up her own server removes the defense of inadvertence and makes her vulnerable to a number of statutes.

Setting up her own server removes the defense of inadvertence and makes her vulnerable to a number of statutes.

Oh? Perhaps you can explain how its possible to inadvertently set up a Yahoo email account and inadvertently conduct the nations business through it? Hillary Clinton didn't violate any statutes.

Other Secretaries Handled Classified Material on Private Email, State Dept. Concludes - ABC News

The State Department’s internal investigation arm issued a final memorandum today on the email practices of past and current secretaries of state, and it said definitively that past secretaries handled classified material on unclassified email systems.

The same claims were made in an early February memo when the State Department's inspector general first announced it was conducting a records review related to the email accounts of five secretaries of state -- Madeline Albright, Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, Hillary Clinton and John Kerry -- and their immediate staff.

------

Hmmm. Looks like this horrible felonious behavior was pretty common. I wonder when Fox News is going to call for Condi Rice's prosecution?

Unfortunately, I expect to see another twenty threads screaming bloody murder about Hillary's private email server without a whiff of this.

Oh? Perhaps you can explain how its possible to inadvertently set up a Yahoo email account and inadvertently conduct the nations business through it? Hillary Clinton didn't violate any statutes.

You are underinformed.

[h=3]Here Is Why Hillary Faces Legal Jeopardy[/h]
A Yahoo account is just that, and the presence of occasional classified information can be explained as a mistake, especially when the user also makes extensive use of the official and secure account (as all except Clinton did). Meanwhile, Clinton's exclusive use of her private server indicates that's where she wanted all her email.

And what is your point?
Do you support the criminalization of unauthorized use of classified documents?
Do you think that if someone did it in the past it is now OK?

I question your report. Other sources have stated that only Colin Powell had classified documents but, OK, let's go down this road. Where those documents classified before or after they were found? Did those other people ever ask subordinates to give them classified information by stripping off the classification codes? Were the servers held privately, off site, in personal space? Why didn't the FBI pursue those other cases, like they are pursuing this one.
What does Fox news have to do with the FBI investigation?

Prove it.
Some were retroactively classified. Others weren't.
These emails were not retroactively classified by the State
Department
; rather these emails contained classified information when they were generated
and, according to IC classification officials, that information remains classified today. This
classified information should never have been transmitted via an unclassified personal system.

icig_statement.jpg

https://oig.state.gov/system/files/...ng_review_of_clintons_emails_july_24_2015.pdf

Unfortunately, I expect to see another twenty threads screaming bloody murder about Hillary's private email server without a whiff of this.

why is that unfortunate?..were you looking to passionately defend past Secretaries against these allegations as you do with Hillary?

Colin Powell was SOS from 2000 through 2004, so your entire premise is a joke right from the get-go.

Now if you would, please point out which one of these factual points were nonsense:

Powell & Rice: 12 total emails between them, and none were sent or received by Rice. Powell disputes the "classification" findings.
Hillary Clinton: Over 2000 emails sent or received deemed classified.

Powell & Rice: None contained intelligence information.
Hillary Clinton: Some did contain intelligence information

Powell & Rice: None were/are classified as "Top Secret"
Hillary Clinton: Some are alleged to be "Top Secret"

Powell & Rice: During Powell's tenure, email hacking was in it's infancy.
Hillary Clinton: During Clinton's tenure, email security was a big and well known problem

Powell & Rice: Powell & Rice didn't try to cover up their emailing
Hillary Clinton: Clinton tried to cover up using her private email server for government business

Powell & Rice: Didn't have the power to permanently delete any of their emails
Hillary Clinton: Had the power and did in fact permanently delete 10's of thousands of her emails.

Powell & Rice: Their practices did not hamper FOIA requests.
Hillary Clinton: Her practices did and still do hamper FOIA requests.

Powell & Rice: Didn't say no gov business was conducted on webmail accounts, nor attempted to hide emails.
Hillary Clinton: Said all gov business conducted was turned over to State Dep, when she in fact had deleted an unspecified number of them.

Powell & Rice: Had and used secure State Dep email accounts and conducted nearly all government business on them.
Hillary Clinton: Never created a secure State Dep email account and conducted all government business on her personal, unsecured, private email server.

Powell & Rice: Their actions are not the subject of an FBI criminal investigation
Hillary Clinton: Her actions are the subject of an FBI criminal investigation

Powell & Rice: Are not running for President of the United States, making this issue an internal government matter.
Hillary Clinton: Is running for President of the United States, making this a very relevant issue for the public at large to fully understand.

Back
Top Bottom