• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christians Manipulate the Bible

stsburns said:
I read them and understood them. I also understand abstract thought, so its no surprise to me. Yea the details are a little vauge, but if you understand mostly what the books are talkining about, you should be able to fill in the gaps. :2wave:

You should also understand that people fill "the gaps" with their own interpretations. There is no real straight answer or conclusion that everyone will meet.

Gibberish said:
You just writing a book because you were "inspired by god" is irrelevant. What matters is how many people believe you and believe in what you wrote.

Exactly. You just proved my point. It's irrelevant whether the Bible was inspired by god or not. What actually matters is how many people believe the folklore and mythology of the context.

Taking only certain texts and compiling them into "evidence" to support a grab for power and used to disguise greed seems the basis of many religous books. History shows us holding a belief that God entitled few certain people power to rule over others simply because their family line soon turns into the demand for wealth and political gain, and seems to be the downfall of most organized religions.

Policitally speaking the King James version of the bible is trying to maintain that power system. A system where the belief that the King is annointed by God to rule over a nation and as such so are his heirs, no matter how wrong they may be. This is what these collected texts support. It is in the King's intrest to supports this claim as it ensures him dominance.

The basis for manipulation of religion seems to stem from a claim of inheritance or a birthright. The Holy Land today for instance, who was supposed to have it? Even Muslim belief is affected by this birth claim as one faction believes only a direct Decendant of Muhamad should rule, while the other still believes anyone worthy can lead. Leaders are elected by the elders to do so, no matter their birth.

Islamic culture had Democracy long before America was ever discovered. The Ottoman Empire recruited Christian and Jewish children to be educated to rule, as training leaders from the outside with no family of clan loyalties proved to produce unbiased leaders. Having a Constituition of their own guarenteeing religious freedom throughout the Ottoman Empire from Spain to India and as far north as Hungary freedom for all was observed and respected. Yet today we strive to dictate these principals to them.

When Jesus' birth was fortold many women of wealthy political families thought that they would be chosen to bear the son of God. Ironically Mary was chosen. She was from a family of little wealth and no political power. Many wondered how he of such low birth and standing having no political power to change the world. Despite this it seems he still did.

KMS

Last edited:
CaliNORML said:
Taking only certain texts and compiling them into "evidence" to support a grab for power and used to disguise greed seems the basis of many religous books. History shows us holding a belief that God entitled few certain people power to rule over others simply because their family line soon turns into the demand for wealth and political gain, and seems to be the downfall of most organized religions.

Policitally speaking the King James version of the bible is trying to maintain that power system. A system where the belief that the King is annointed by God to rule over a nation and as such so are his heirs, no matter how wrong they may be. This is what these collected texts support. It is in the King's intrest to supports this claim as it ensures him dominance.

The basis for manipulation of religion seems to stem from a claim of inheritance or a birthright. The Holy Land today for instance, who was supposed to have it? Even Muslim belief is affected by this birth claim as one faction believes only a direct Decendant of Muhamad should rule, while the other still believes anyone worthy can lead. Leaders are elected by the elders to do so, no matter their birth.

Islamic culture had Democracy long before America was ever discovered. The Ottoman Empire recruited Christian and Jewish children to be educated to rule, as training leaders from the outside with no family of clan loyalties proved to produce unbiased leaders. Having a Constituition of their own guarenteeing religious freedom throughout the Ottoman Empire from Spain to India and as far north as Hungary freedom for all was observed and respected. Yet today we strive to dictate these principals to them.

When Jesus' birth was fortold many women of wealthy political families thought that they would be chosen to bear the son of God. Ironically Mary was chosen. She was from a family of little wealth and no political power. Many wondered how he of such low birth and standing having no political power to change the world. Despite this it seems he still did.
KMS
Well written

What I would like to know is why Christians use references to anything in what they call the "Old Testament" to support thier strange moral views on how our country should be (not to mention religious values shouldn't be put into making laws).

Jesus stated that God made a new covenant with the earth, and that is the "New Testament"........So why do they continue to use things from the Jewish Torah and the Jewish Prophets if this "New Covenant" ruled out the laws and scriptures of the "Old Testament"?????

Im curious as to why Christians are allowed to pick and choose what they want from the "Old Testament" yet still not go by the teachings in it.

Caine said:
What I would like to know is why Christians use references to anything in what they call the "Old Testament" to support thier strange moral views on how our country should be (not to mention religious values shouldn't be put into making laws).

Jesus stated that God made a new covenant with the earth, and that is the "New Testament"........So why do they continue to use things from the Jewish Torah and the Jewish Prophets if this "New Covenant" ruled out the laws and scriptures of the "Old Testament"?????

Im curious as to why Christians are allowed to pick and choose what they want from the "Old Testament" yet still not go by the teachings in it.

I believe it is all part of this fundamentalist movement that promotes a few prominent members to a controling status. This is particularily evident with those megachurches. Which by it's very nature is anti christian since Jesus himself said that he was a servent and promoted equality.
These controlling status then promote that only thier way is the right way, anyone who opposes is wrong/unfaithful ect.
Jimmy Carter's new book "Our Endangered Values" does a great analysis of all of this.

liberal1 said:
It seems to me that the only sections that Christians quote in the Bible are those that out down homosexuality and all of this peace and love and saving your eternal soul and fearing God. If the Bible is the "path to god" but some of it is convenietly ignored.

It seams to be me that all liberals are obessed with sweeping generalisations

Red_Dave said:
It seams to be me that all liberals are obessed with sweeping generalisations

Both sides are obsessed with making stupid generalizations.....

Find another argument.. this one is weak.

Back
Top Bottom