• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christians Manipulate the Bible

steen said:
So per your admitting that you don't understand other people's motivation, it is clear that you really can't speak as that what is right or wrong in their life, isn't that so?
I believe what they are doing is wrong, and that i dont understand why they do it. I am saying that I could never do that, because what they choose to do, is not what i choose to do.
No, i don't understand their motivation, but I can say that what they are doing is wrong, its not just my personal belief, christians and non-christians alike believe the same thing.

You still have failed to show where your experiences at 15 makes you qualified to speak for others and decide what is best for them.
so you agree that sleeping around is the best thing for someone? I don't
I mean if thats what they need to do to fill whatever hole they have in their life, then by all means, do it, who I am to stop you?
I would strongly encourage that its not best for them, and what there doing will not fufifll what is missing in their life, and i have the answer of who can.
You may belittle me because of my age, yet if I was of 18? 20? would you say the same thing, probably not. Yes you may think age and experience hinder my outlook on life and reason, you are sadly mistaken. Treat me as you would anyone on this board, as I do you.

teenonfire4him77 said:
I believe what they are doing is wrong, and that i dont understand why they do it. I am saying that I could never do that, because what they choose to do, is not what i choose to do.
No, i don't understand their motivation, but I can say that what they are doing is wrong, its not just my personal belief, christians and non-christians alike believe the same thing.
And Christians and non-Christians alike also believe that you are wrong. So that argument to authority failed before it was made. Do you have any ACTUAL EVIDENCE that you know what is best for others?
so you agree that sleeping around is the best thing for someone? I don't
I agree that none of us know what is best for someone. YOU claim youy know better than they do, that you somehow are the expert in their life. Please provide evidence for this, thanks.
I mean if thats what they need to do to fill whatever hole they have in their life, then by all means, do it, who I am to stop you?
I would strongly encourage that its not best for them, and what there doing will not fufifll what is missing in their life, and i have the answer of who can.
You may belittle me because of my age, yet if I was of 18? 20? would you say the same thing, probably not. Yes you may think age and experience hinder my outlook on life and reason, you are sadly mistaken.
I would say the same regardless of your age. YOu still wouldn't know what is best for another person.
Treat me as you would anyone on this board, as I do you
By insulting our intelligence by pretending that your personal opinion somehow is factual?

teenonfire4him77 said:
Everything for you christians is just right and wrong, black and white. Why must it be that what ever others are doing must be classified as right or wrong based on your opinion alone? Who are you to determine what is right or what is wrong for anyone else? Just because you could never do that hardly neccesitates that it to be wrong. I'm non-christian and I don't believe them to be wrong.

teenonfire4him77 said:
so you agree that sleeping around is the best thing for someone? I don't, I mean if thats what they need to do to fill whatever hole they have in their life, then by all means, do it, who I am to stop you?
You may belittle me because of my age, yet if I was of 18? 20? would you say the same thing, probably not. Yes you may think age and experience hinder my outlook on life and reason, you are sadly mistaken. Treat me as you would anyone on this board, as I do you.
If someone chooses to sleep around, that's thier own decision. There's no right or wrong about it. It's only a varied life style from you. Just because they may sleep around, what, does it make them a slut? Tell me the one thing that you feel is wrong about sleeping around? What makes it so wrong to you? It's a completely natural desire, just different people have a different out look and attitude about it.
I think that to some extent you are jealous of people who get to go around. You're envoius of them for your own lack of ability to do so. I admit it, I'm to some extent envious, not that that's how I'd want to be, but then who am I to tell them it's wrong?

steen said:
And Christians and non-Christians alike also believe that you are wrong. So that argument to authority failed before it was made. Do you have any ACTUAL EVIDENCE that you know what is best for others?
I don't go around saying 'This is right, im an almighty christian, i know whats best for you so do as I say', thats stupid. I was merly refering to what i believe when people come to me for advice about situations they come up against for doing what they do. I give them what I believe is right.

I
agree that none of us know what is best for someone. YOU claim youy know better than they do, that you somehow are the expert in their life. Please provide evidence for this, thanks.
did I once mention I am the expert on life? No i did not, if I somehow hinted to it, I am sorry but you miss interpreted. I do what I do, and they do what they do, and I will help them regardless of what I think their doing is right or wrong.
I would say the same regardless of your age. YOu still wouldn't know what is best for another person.
By insulting our intelligence by pretending that your personal opinion somehow is factual?
I don't recall insultign your intelligence...do you know whats best for people?
Woudl you say smoking is best for people even though its FACT that its not?
People know that sleeping around has consequences, and I know that, and I choose not to do it because i rally don't have a desire to.
I am not putting myself up as some suprior being, if you see it as that I am sorry. I am just saying that when people ask my my opinion on things, I tell them what I know to be right, I'm not going to lie for their convience.

jfuh said:
Everything for you christians is just right and wrong, black and white. Why must it be that what ever others are doing must be classified as right or wrong based on your opinion alone? Who are you to determine what is right or what is wrong for anyone else? Just because you could never do that hardly neccesitates that it to be wrong. I'm non-christian and I don't believe them to be wrong.
I have standerds, and i live up to them because i know them to be right. Again, I will explain...if people ask me fore advice, I am not going to sugar coat my beliefs for them, I will tell them what I think they should do, and they can take it or leave it. People know what I am like and they come to me because they know i don't play, i don't sugar coat anything because how are they going to grow or get better from the situation if they don't know the real deal?

If someone chooses to sleep around, that's thier own decision. There's no right or wrong about it. It's only a varied life style from you. Just because they may sleep around, what, does it make them a slut? Tell me the one thing that you feel is wrong about sleeping around? What makes it so wrong to you? It's a completely natural desire, just different people have a different out look and attitude about it.
Well how would you define slut? Its someone who sleeps around a lot. Now, I don't exclude them or make them feel inferior because they do, heck all girl school has the nick name 'whores on the hill', I am around them everyday, and I may not agree with what they are doing, but I love them and treat them the same.
It makes it wrong to me because why woulf you feel the need to give up your body to so many people? There must be some insecurity in there. Second, all teh diseases you can get with it that will effect your life imeasurable whether is curable or not. Third, i believe my purity is sacred, and is to be saved for the man I love, becasue that bond formed when you can tell your husband you saved yourself for him, is the best gift you can give your husband, ever.

I think that to some extent you are jealous of people who get to go around. You're envoius of them for your own lack of ability to do so. I admit it, I'm to some extent envious, not that that's how I'd want to be, but then who am I to tell them it's wrong?
Why would i be jealous if I don't have the desire to do so in the first place. I am secure with myself, i don't need to have guys all over me to feel good about myself. I don't have to have guys to want my body and have sex with me to feel needed and accepted. I have all teh security and love in Jesus Christ, and that satisfies me.
My friends know my stance and respect it(to a certain extent, i still get ridculed) , and when they come to me for advice about whatever situation there in, all I can say is 'I told you so' and then give them all the love and support they need. I may not agree with their lifestyle, but I will never turn them away, Jesus never turned anyone away, and that is whom i strive to be.

teenonfire4him77 said:
I am not putting myself up as some suprior being, if you see it as that I am sorry. I am just saying that when people ask my my opinion on things, I tell them what I know to be right, I'm not going to lie for their convience.

And....as I stated earlier, Please continue to give that advice to your peers, I would prefer 15 yr olds abstained from sexual activity for a few years. The issue here is not what YOU decide for yourself, but rather that you seem to project an air of "knowing" something others do not.
Sex is one of the few things that I will tell you now....REQUIRES....experience to be understood in any way. Only after many years of living it, does the emotional aspect wear off, and the skill become important. Having a molestation as your primary means of experience in this is very sad, as you should have NO experience whatsoever as of yet....I would think. But that is no excuse to attempt to project some vast understanding of what is quite possibly, the most complex human interaction short of true love.
We do not treat you as a child....that would be unfair, and pointless as you are a member here. But, in this situation, you havent the life experience to even think of telling me what sex is about.....I wont go into detail but, lets just say some of us might know the subject a bit better that yourself.

teenonfire4him77 said:
I have standerds, and i live up to them because i know them to be right. Again, I will explain...if people ask me fore advice, I am not going to sugar coat my beliefs for them, I will tell them what I think they should do, and they can take it or leave it. People know what I am like and they come to me because they know i don't play, i don't sugar coat anything because how are they going to grow or get better from the situation if they don't know the real deal?
If you are asked for advice certainly, and I can respect that. As for your standards though, how do you know them to be right? Difficult to answer, so let me make it more specific for simplicity. Do you know them to be right because everyone arounds you abides by those "principles" or do you know them to be right because it is what is universally and logically accepted to be proper and respectful?

teenonfire4him77 said:
Well how would you define slut? Its someone who sleeps around a lot. Now, I don't exclude them or make them feel inferior because they do, heck all girl school has the nick name 'whores on the hill', I am around them everyday, and I may not agree with what they are doing, but I love them and treat them the same.
It makes it wrong to me because why woulf you feel the need to give up your body to so many people? There must be some insecurity in there. Second, all teh diseases you can get with it that will effect your life imeasurable whether is curable or not. Third, i believe my purity is sacred, and is to be saved for the man I love, becasue that bond formed when you can tell your husband you saved yourself for him, is the best gift you can give your husband, ever.
It's honorable that you try to treat everyone equally, again respectable. However it's unagreeable that you seem to place such a high value on virginity. Why would it seem to you as giving up your body? Sex is physical, there's nothing else to it. It only seems that you are insecure with it to have the mentality that it's something that anyone should be ashamed of. As for giving your husband your virginity. I question whether I should tell you this or not due to some of the implications so read on but be warned.
Men could care less. Sure it may seem like it's wonderful that the girl saved her hymen for you, but in the end what really matters to the guy in terms of the physicality has nothing to do with that one time thing. It is phsychologically unhealthy for anyone to place such a premium on something such as virginity and then it makes sex in the future with your life partner very difficult because it is something that you've essentially shuned for most of your life. Just think about it.

teenonfire4him77 said:
Why would i be jealous if I don't have the desire to do so in the first place. I am secure with myself, i don't need to have guys all over me to feel good about myself. I don't have to have guys to want my body and have sex with me to feel needed and accepted. I have all teh security and love in Jesus Christ, and that satisfies me.
My friends know my stance and respect it(to a certain extent, i still get ridculed) , and when they come to me for advice about whatever situation there in, all I can say is 'I told you so' and then give them all the love and support they need. I may not agree with their lifestyle, but I will never turn them away, Jesus never turned anyone away, and that is whom i strive to be.
I told you so...... very supportive. See that almost sounds like you are not secure enough to confront sex, because you may fear to make a mistake and have some one tell you, "I told you so". I don't think that Jesus Christ, a feminist, had ever condemned sex. I'm not trying to change what you think about it. But more to realize what it is that you are, or seem to be saying/doing.

In anycase I would like to stop pointing directly against you because I don't think that you are in anyway related to this topic. Nor do I think that you are flawed. So let's just go back to the main topic at hand.

If you are asked for advice certainly, and I can respect that. As for your standards though, how do you know them to be right? Difficult to answer, so let me make it more specific for simplicity. Do you know them to be right because everyone arounds you abides by those "principles" or do you know them to be right because it is what is universally and logically accepted to be proper and respectful?
Actually, there are very little people around me that value purity as I do.

It's honorable that you try to treat everyone equally, again respectable. However it's unagreeable that you seem to place such a high value on virginity. Why would it seem to you as giving up your body? Sex is physical, there's nothing else to it. It only seems that you are insecure with it to have the mentality that it's something that anyone should be ashamed of. As for giving your husband your virginity. I question whether I should tell you this or not due to some of the implications so read on but be warned.
Men could care less. Sure it may seem like it's wonderful that the girl saved her hymen for you, but in the end what really matters to the guy in terms of the physicality has nothing to do with that one time thing. It is phsychologically unhealthy for anyone to place such a premium on something such as virginity and then it makes sex in the future with your life partner very difficult because it is something that you've essentially shuned for most of your life. Just think about it.
Maybe the men you know don't care. But true Christian men, value a womans purity as a woman should value her own. I have a friend who has been dating this guy for a couple years, and in that long term relationship, they both agreed to not kiss until their wedding (along with not having sex) in order to keep her purity. Now I am not saying that is for everyone, but thats what they choose to do. The bible teaches about relationships and how we should value ourselves, and saving outselves for marriage is a huge aspect of it.
It maybe just physical to you, but to me, its much mroe then that.

I told you so...... very supportive. See that almost sounds like you are not secure enough to confront sex, because you may fear to make a mistake and have some one tell you, "I told you so". I don't think that Jesus Christ, a feminist, had ever condemned sex. I'm not trying to change what you think about it. But more to realize what it is that you are, or seem to be saying/doing.
I have no fear of sex, its a beautiful thing, and I am excited for when I am able to sahre it with my future husbaand. Jesus of crouse did not condemn sex, he condemn sex BEFORE marriage.

teenonfire4him77 said:
Maybe the men you know don't care. But true Christian men, value a womans purity as a woman should value her own. I have a friend who has been dating this guy for a couple years, and in that long term relationship, they both agreed to not kiss until their wedding (along with not having sex) in order to keep her purity. Now I am not saying that is for everyone, but thats what they choose to do. The bible teaches about relationships and how we should value ourselves, and saving outselves for marriage is a huge aspect of it.
It maybe just physical to you, but to me, its much mroe then that.
Probably the only thing that needs response to. Babe, listen, guys, they only go along with the whole purity thing for the purpose of getting some. After that sex, whether it be before marriage or after, everything changes.

teenonfire4him77 said:
I truly don't understand why people just go out and have sex all willy nilly, and then can go and get married and feel as connected to his/her husband.

This is where your age hurts you, teenonfire. You have not been married, so you cannot have any idea the connection between a husband and wife. I was promiscuous when I was younger. I have been with my husband for almost 10 years. I am connected to him like no other person in this world, sexually and emotionally, and that includes men from my past. Until you're married and you truly understand all that marriage entails, I don't think you can speak as to how spouses feel connected or not.

I mean, i wouldn't want to have sex knowing some guys dick has been with someone else.

And for someone who claims to be so pure, your terminology is rather vulgar. Blech. I am sure Jesus would be proud of you.

You may belittle me because of my age, yet if I was of 18? 20? would you say the same thing, probably not. Yes you may think age and experience hinder my outlook on life and reason, you are sadly mistaken.

While an 18-year-old and a 20-year-old have more experience than a 15-year-old, all three of those ages aren't ones I would give a lot of credence to when talking about life and experiences in life. I too had a lot of things in my past, teen, and at 37 years old, I have a totally different outlook on life than I did when I was in high school and college.

My friends know my stance and respect it(to a certain extent, i still get ridculed) , and when they come to me for advice about whatever situation there in, all I can say is 'I told you so' and then give them all the love and support they need.

I'd be surprised if you have a lot of friends with that kind of condescending attitude. I would have dumped you like a hot potato. That's another thing you haven't learned--how to be a good friend.

It may seem as though people are picking on you in this thread, but when you come on here at 15 years old and talk like some authoritarian, no one is going to like it. Every person is different, and no one needs/wants the same things out of life. You'll learn this down the road--I hope.

I think teenonfire4him77 is amazing and she is just expressing her thoughts just as anyone else on these forums. Teenonfire4him77, I just wanted to add my support and admiration for your beliefs, strength, and faith in Christ.

aps said:
This is where your age hurts you, teenonfire. You have not been married, so you cannot have any idea the connection between a husband and wife. I was promiscuous when I was younger. I have been with my husband for almost 10 years. I am connected to him like no other person in this world, sexually and emotionally, and that includes men from my past. Until you're married and you truly understand all that marriage entails, I don't think you can speak as to how spouses feel connected or not.
Sure, I know i do not know personally what it feels like, but a lot of my friends are young adults, some of whom are married, and I know from that.

And for someone who claims to be so pure, your terminology is rather vulgar. Blech. I am sure Jesus would be proud of you.
penis better? :roll:

While an 18-year-old and a 20-year-old have more experience than a 15-year-old, all three of those ages aren't ones I would give a lot of credence to when talking about life and experiences in life. I too had a lot of things in my past, teen, and at 37 years old, I have a totally different outlook on life than I did when I was in high school and college.
We are too different people, who lived 2 very different lives. You are in no position to compare when you have no idea whom I am.

I'd be surprised if you have a lot of friends with that kind of condescending attitude. I would have dumped you like a hot potato. That's another thing you haven't learned--how to be a good friend.
Condescending? Hardly. I tell people the truth, and they i know I tell them what they need to hear, i don't sugar coat it. If they don't want to hear it, they don't ask. I don't go around walkin and talkin like I'm above everyone else, Jesus didn't do that, so why should I?
Who are you to question how good of a friend I am? Again, you don't know who I am and hardly enough about me to make that judgement. I don't have to justify myself to you

It may seem as though people are picking on you in this thread, but when you come on here at 15 years old and talk like some authoritarian, no one is going to like it. Every person is different, and no one needs/wants the same things out of life. You'll learn this down the road--I hope.
I am not telling you what you have to need and want out of life, I am merly telling you what I want and need. It is you people who are telling me what I should need and want and that my reasoning is deluded. I have not once attacked anyones stance on this issue, i just stated the truth that 'I dont understand why...'.

laska said:
I think teenonfire4him77 is amazing and she is just expressing her thoughts just as anyone else on these forums. Teenonfire4him77, I just wanted to add my support and admiration for your beliefs, strength, and faith in Christ.
Thank you, means a lot.:2razz:

teenonfire4him77 said:
Sure, I know i do not know personally what it feels like, but a lot of my friends are young adults, some of whom are married, and I know from that.

You know from your friends? Sorry, that's not enough. You cannot know how you would feel based upon how others feel. My parents have been married for 45 years. I honestly would not have known how I would feel about marriage based upon their marriage, and I have been exposed to their marriage throughout my life.

penis better? :roll:
Yes. Do you know how much classier that sounds?

We are too different people, who lived 2 very different lives. You are in no position to compare when you have no idea whom I am.

That's true. I would love to have an exchange with you when you're my age and see if you feel the exact same way. I am just letting you know that as you get older, your opinions on various issues will change--maybe not all issues, but some will undoubtedly change.

Condescending? Hardly. I tell people the truth, and they i know I tell them what they need to hear, i don't sugar coat it. If they don't want to hear it, they don't ask. I don't go around walkin and talkin like I'm above everyone else, Jesus didn't do that, so why should I?
Who are you to question how good of a friend I am? Again, you don't know who I am and hardly enough about me to make that judgement. I don't have to justify myself to you

So if I was your friend and I told you that I didn't want to hear "I told you so," and just needed you to listen to me vent, what would you do? Would your need to tell me "the truth" outweigh my need just to be heard without being judged (verbally)? This will tell me if you're a good friend.

I am not telling you what you have to need and want out of life, I am merly telling you what I want and need. It is you people who are telling me what I should need and want and that my reasoning is deluded. I have not once attacked anyones stance on this issue, i just stated the truth that 'I dont understand why...'.

Okay, you have a point there. But you make it seem as though it's your way or the highway, which I think is small minded. That is purely JMO.

teenonfire4him77 said:
Jesus of crouse did not condemn sex, he condemn sex BEFORE marriage.
Really? I must have missed that

You know from your friends? Sorry, that's not enough. You cannot know how you would feel based upon how others feel. My parents have been married for 45 years. I honestly would not have known how I would feel about marriage based upon their marriage, and I have been exposed to their marriage throughout my life.
I know enough to desiere the bond that they have.

Yes. Do you know how much classier that sounds?
Alright, penis it is then:2razz:

That's true. I would love to have an exchange with you when you're my age and see if you feel the exact same way. I am just letting you know that as you get older, your opinions on various issues will change--maybe not all issues, but some will undoubtedly change.
Maybe, but i have a strong feelin that my stance on my purity will not.

So if I was your friend and I told you that I didn't want to hear "I told you so," and just needed you to listen to me vent, what would you do? Would your need to tell me "the truth" outweigh my need just to be heard without being judged (verbally)? This will tell me if you're a good friend.
I never judge anyone, and most of my friends do just vent, and i listen. If they ask me what i think they should do, then i would tell them. If not, i just let them get it all out. Don't pre-judge me.
The people involved with Christianity, are not ALL good. There are corrupt and hypocrites. But not EVERYONE is like that, and people on this board tend to forget that. You cannot generalize a whole religion based on the false actions of a group of people in it.
There are good people and bad people in every religion. Not everyone is all the same, just as there are 'True Christians' and there are not-true Christians.
There are people who strive to be like Christ on the inside and the outside, and there are people to just strive to look it on the outside.

Okay, you have a point there. But you make it seem as though it's your way or the highway, which I think is small minded. That is purely JMO.
Well i surely didn't mean it to come off as that. Forums make it hard to know someones tone or intent. My apologies:smile:

teenonfire4him77 said:
I know enough to desiere the bond that they have.

Well, I admire your wanting that kind of bond. My mom was a virgin when she married my father but he was not a virgin when he married her. They have a beautiful relationship, which is what made me strive to find someone I would have that kind of bond with (and I did--and he may be better hubby than my father is to my mom ;)).

Alright, penis it is then:2razz:

Now that's what I call a classy broad. lol

Maybe, but i have a strong feelin that my stance on my purity will not.

We will see about that. LOL

I never judge anyone, and most of my friends do just vent, and i listen. If they ask me what i think they should do, then i would tell them. If not, i just let them get it all out. Don't pre-judge me.
The people involved with Christianity, are not ALL good. There are corrupt and hypocrites. But not EVERYONE is like that, and people on this board tend to forget that. You cannot generalize a whole religion based on the false actions of a group of people in it.
There are good people and bad people in every religion. Not everyone is all the same, just as there are 'True Christians' and there are not-true Christians.
There are people who strive to be like Christ on the inside and the outside, and there are people to just strive to look it on the outside.

I like your answer. I love my sister, but she can't resist lecturing me when I need her to just listen to me. Will you talk to her for me? ;)

Well i surely didn't mean it to come off as that. Forums make it hard to know someones tone or intent. My apologies:smile:

No worries. I hope I didn't sound obnoxious myself. So my apologies as well. I must say that you have a very sophisticated mentality. Hey, and we live near each other. I live in Fairfax, Virginia and work in the District.

aps said:
Well, I admire your wanting that kind of bond. My mom was a virgin when she married my father but he was not a virgin when he married her. They have a beautiful relationship, which is what made me strive to find someone I would have that kind of bond with (and I did--and he may be better hubby than my father is to my mom ;)).

Now that's what I call a classy broad. lol

We will see about that. LOL

I like your answer. I love my sister, but she can't resist lecturing me when I need her to just listen to me. Will you talk to her for me? ;)

No worries. I hope I didn't sound obnoxious myself. So my apologies as well. I must say that you have a very sophisticated mentality. Hey, and we live near each other. I live in Fairfax, Virginia and work in the District.
Thank you:smile:

I think this thread has gone seriously off track with Teeny. Could we all get back to the main topic and avoid just attacing teeny?

Mike 1967 said:
I would disagree.

I read mine daily...and most times it is as clear to me as the stuff that I read on forums like this.

But I can't speak for the constitution unfortunately. I have to admit that I have not spent much time reading it.

The books of Genesis and Revelation are clear to you?

What was the question again??
Oh yea....

liberal1 said:
It seems to me that the only sections that Christians quote in the Bible are those that out down homosexuality and all of this peace and love and saving your eternal soul and fearing God. If the Bible is the "path to god" but some of it is convenietly ignored.

Not only is some ignored, but there's been some evidence of out and out deletions of 'books' through various rewrites hundreds of years ago by heads of churches who, for whatever reason, deemed those books 'unimportant'.

Every faction of the bible is taken out of context in order to serve the existing mentality of those who try to use it for personal legitimization of their logic.
Personally, I think it's an interesting read, but hardly factual at all. People don't live in whales, turn to pillars of salt, live 800 years or build boats big enough to hold 2 of every creature. Even the new testament was written, at its earliest, approximately 100 years after the death of Jesus-while the similarities in the books of the new testament are profound, some hypothesis point to the possibility that each book is merely a new take on the previous. There's simply no concrete proof of anything written, only speculation and inconclusive achaeological finds petaining to the possibility that Jesus may have actually existed at all and if he did, then as a rebellious, fundamentalist rabbi. ( I think it's pretty obvious most of the characters in the old testament did not exist.)
It's unfortunate that a book of moral suggestion through stories is so taken out of context that people not only insist on believing it to be true, that they twist its contents to 'prove' their ignorant stance against those unlike themselves.

The Real McCoy said:
The books of Genesis and Revelation are clear to you?
Genesis, God creates man. Revelation, God lets the devil free after 7 plagues. Get it, got it, gooooodddd!

stsburns said:
Genesis, God creates man. Revelation, God lets the devil free after 7 plagues. Get it, got it, gooooodddd!

Well, I get the jist of them but I don't think the details of those 2 particular books are clear to anybody... Biblical scholars can't even agree on the basics..

ngdawg said:
Not only is some ignored, but there's been some evidence of out and out deletions of 'books' through various rewrites hundreds of years ago by heads of churches who, for whatever reason, deemed those books 'unimportant'.

Yep. For the most part, Christians blatanly disregard Christ's teachings, and prefer to side with the barbaric, prehistoric teachings of the OT.

Every faction of the bible is taken out of context in order to serve the existing mentality of those who try to use it for personal legitimization of their logic.

Right again. You hit the nail on the head.:2razz:

Personally, I think it's an interesting read, but hardly factual at all. People don't live in whales, turn to pillars of salt, live 800 years or build boats big enough to hold 2 of every creature. Even the new testament was written, at its earliest, approximately 100 years after the death of Jesus-while the similarities in the books of the new testament are profound, some hypothesis point to the possibility that each book is merely a new take on the previous. There's simply no concrete proof of anything written, only speculation and inconclusive achaeological finds petaining to the possibility that Jesus may have actually existed at all and if he did, then as a rebellious, fundamentalist rabbi. ( I think it's pretty obvious most of the characters in the old testament did not exist.)
It's unfortunate that a book of moral suggestion through stories is so taken out of context that people not only insist on believing it to be true, that they twist its contents to 'prove' their ignorant stance against those unlike themselves.

Well the bible was written for and intended for basically uneducated folks. It was written by man, not god. Whether bible-thumpers say that it was inspired by god is irrelevant. For example, I could say that I was "inspired by god" to write a book about how Superman exists, and many people would believe me for the fact that I was "inspired by god.":2razz:

kal-el said:
For example, I could say that I was "inspired by god" to write a book about how Superman exists, and many people would believe me for the fact that I was "inspired by god.":2razz:

You just writing a book because you were "inspired by god" is irrelevant. What matters is how many people believe you and believe in what you wrote.

Mormonism is a perfect example of someone just writing a book and saying he was "inspired by god" and a few people believing him at the early stages.

The Real McCoy said:
Well, I get the jist of them but I don't think the details of those 2 particular books are clear to anybody... Biblical scholars can't even agree on the basics..
I read them and understood them. I also understand abstract thought, so its no surprise to me. Yea the details are a little vauge, but if you understand mostly what the books are talkining about, you should be able to fill in the gaps. :2wave:

Back
Top Bottom