• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cheap Grace Theology

No. But I have read The Cost of Discipleship, participated in an academic discussion group on Bonhoeffer's life and works, and understand and think very frequently in examination of conscience of the difference between cheap and costly grace.

It's pretty simple, grace without repentance makes that grace cheap, and there is nothing cheap about Jesus Christ's sacrifice.

I'm well aware that DP consists of probably 99% atheists and that it's futile to have a discussion on theology in a forum such as this. This thread is for the 1% who identify as Christian.

A discussion seems to imply that you would read and understand what I have posted and you seem to have ignored what I posted and seem to have done so with intent.

Are you interested in discussing ideas or just in throwing bombs and running away?

A discussion seems to imply that you would read and understand what I have posted and you seem to have ignored what I posted and seem to have done so with intent.

Are you interested in discussing ideas or just in throwing bombs and running away?
It appears that he's only interested in having a conversation with Christians. Unless someone identifies themselves as an unbeliever he could just assume anyone posting in the thread is a Christian. Then it becomes a matter of whether he just wants a conversation with those that agree with his position. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, I'll bet. Shocks of recognition and personal epiphanies to come. ;)
:) I've always considered myself to be unshockable, but I also believe in never saying never. ;)

It appears that he's only interested in having a conversation with Christians. Unless someone identifies themselves as an unbeliever he could just assume anyone posting in the thread is a Christian. Then it becomes a matter of whether he just wants a conversation with those that agree with his position. 🤷‍♂️

I hate to condemn anyone's motivations.

I'll just leave it at that.

The topic is cheap grace theology. If you believe that repentance isn't necessary in the Christian faith, make your case.

"He" isn't interested in atheist views on the subject, why would "he" be, as they have no stake in promoting Christianity.

"He" isn't interested in atheist views on the subject, why would "he" be, as they have no stake in promoting Christianity.
The last time I checked DP is a discussion board where all viewpoints are welcomed. And the last time I checked promoting Christianity to unbelievers (atheists) is one of the central purposes of Christians. You can't promote your beliefs if you're unwilling to have a conversation with them.

It seems to be running amuck amongst modern day Christians:

The term “cheap grace” can be traced back to a book written by German theologian, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, called The Cost of Discipleship, published in 1937. In that book, Bonhoeffer defined “cheap grace” as “the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline. Communion without confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ.” Notice what is emphasized in Bonhoeffer’s definition of cheap grace and what is de-emphasized. The emphasis is on the benefits of Christianity without the costs involved; hence, the adjective cheap to describe it.

I'd like to focus on the part about "forgiveness without requiring repentance," How is it possible to call yourself a follower of Christ if you yourself don't repent and before forgiving others, require that they do so as well?
I don't obey deadbeat dads.

I mean hell, when was the last time we even got a card?

The topic is cheap grace theology. If you believe that repentance isn't necessary in the Christian faith, make your case.

Did I post anything that makes you assume that this is my belief?

That said, if God determines that this is the case, then it is. If not, it's not. This is not a point that any amount of debate between humans can change.

It's pretty much the will of God that you seem to wish to determine. The question I have is not IF you can determine the will of God.

It is only WHY do you believe that you can?

I know what caused your HATRED of God. Care to share it with others?
I don't believe Jahweh created this universe if he exists at all.

The universe is too full of whimsy and wonder to have been created by a character that simply embodies the worst in human behaviors. Used to justify the same behaviors from those who need power like plants need water.

Vindictive, petty, insecure, needy. Setting traps. Creating people he knows will burn in hell when he creates them.

Shitty system with a shitty head that I have no choice but to reject/oppose.

Clear enough?

I could use stronger language...

I don't believe Jahweh created this universe if he exists at all.

We're discussing what happened in your childhood that made you HATE God with a passion. Don't be shy about sharing your story, as thousands of little boys before you have shared their story, and it has helped them tremendously get over their HATRED of God.

The last time I checked DP is a discussion board where all viewpoints are welcomed. And the last time I checked promoting Christianity to unbelievers (atheists) is one of the central purposes of Christians. You can't promote your beliefs if you're unwilling to have a conversation with them.

If you identify as a follower of Christ than I am more than happy to discuss the topic of 'cheap grace theology' with you. If you don't, why would anyone be interested in listening to your opinion?

Shitty system with a shitty head that I have no choice but to reject/oppose.
Satan is the ruler of this system and that's just what he wants you to think, that God is not worthy of your service...

If you identify as a follower of Christ than I am more than happy to discuss the topic of 'cheap grace theology' with you. If you don't, why would anyone be interested in listening to your opinion?
I already attempted to discuss it with you. Review my initial responses to this thread on page one.

Satan is the ruler of this system and that's just what he wants you to think, that God is not worthy of your service...
Your god has not demonstrated that he is worthy of my "service".

Quite the contrary, actually.

We're discussing what happened in your childhood that made you HATE God with a passion. Don't be shy about sharing your story, as thousands of little boys before you have shared their story, and it has helped them tremendously get over their HATRED of God.
I told you. Observation and exposure to your faith.

No good answers to my questions.

And my questioning started in genesis. Adam and eve got a raw deal. And the rest of us are being punished for it.

Neither fair nor reasonable.

And the opposite of what I would expect from a "loving god".

Back
Top Bottom