• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Charlotte Rampling: Promoting Diversity In Oscar Nominations Is 'Racist To Whites’

Re: Charlotte Rampling: Promoting Diversity In Oscar Nominations Is 'Racist To Whites

I'm not sure why the lack of minorities represented in nominations is shocking.

The entertainment industry is setup to entertain the most people to ensure profit. Therefore, they make movies about white heterosexuals staring white heterosexuals, and in turn, that makes up the majority of the body of work in which nominations are pulled from. They know their audience.

It's the same reason why Bollywood movies aren't inundated with comedies about French black lesbians taxicab drivers

It also has to do with agenda fatigue.

It seems that anytime a black director makes a movie, it HAS to be about racial issues. It HAS to be about black lives and black inequalities. It HAS to preach. And not coincidentally, it HAS to ignore reality and be a blame-the-white-man sermon.

Why can't it just be a movie? These one-trick ponies don't seem interested in that.

Re: Charlotte Rampling: Promoting Diversity In Oscar Nominations Is 'Racist To Whites

Another spokesperson for the terribly oppressed white people.

"Racist to whites", as if questioning the Academy results in the oppression of white people as a group.

As opposed to the poor oppressed black Hollywood stars?

Were the voters for MLB All Star teams racist prior to Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier? They only picked white guys to the All Star team. So, maybe it's Hollywood as a whole that is racist. Perhaps Whoopi Goldberg should have been getting those Terminator roles instead of Arnold?

Have any of the actually affected black actors made statements about this?

I know a few has beens have made a stink, but they are not directly involved.

As opposed to the poor oppressed black Hollywood stars?

hqdefault.jpg

Come on, man -- if this doesn't prove to you that Will and Jada are oppressed, nothing will!

No. As a RULE, the Academy ignores black actors, directors, etc.. It is an EXCEPTION for the Academy to nominate or award black actors, directors, etc.. It's also worth noting that other groups (e.g. Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans) have have received almost ZERO awards from the Academy. Are you truly going to argue that Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans just aren't as good as acting, directing, etc. as white people? I hope not.

I don't even know why this is such a controversial issue. The Academy just needs to get a more diverse voting body in terms of gender, race, ethnicity and sexuality. Even further, the film industry as a whole needs to embrace diversity more as well.
Many Black actors relate to a Black audience and not to a more diverse international audience. It's become too stereotypical. Urban Dictionary: acting 'black'

She's right. Awards should be based on merit, not on quotas. If there was a hiring freeze in Hollywood for minorities then the complainers would have a point but the Oscars are an awards show.

And It's not exactly like black actors/actresses are winning tons of awards and it's JUST the Academy refusing to acknowledge them. There is still a few more chances before the Oscars (Elba's nominated in the SAG awards and the BAFTAs, while Beasts of No Nations has a cast nom at the SAGs and John Boyega is up for a Rising Star award at the BAFTAs. Think Viola Davis, Elba again, and maybe one or two more are also up for awards on the TV side at the SAG awards).

This really doesn't seem to be a problem about race. The real problem with the Oscars is the fact that so many people take it as the "word of god" of film. The Academy is primarily made up of old men that nominate friends and big stars that are well liked by Hollywood. The entire ceremony is a pompous display of rich people patting each other on the back at how great their performances were. There is a huge amount of politics involved with the Academy, as can be seen by the "snub" of Elba. Most people say this is not because the actor is black, but because the film was produced by Netflix and Hollywood doesn't want to promote films that directly take money away from them. Either way, can we really be surprised that Hollywood, who is vastly white, would connect and understand stories that are primarily white driven? Are they racists simply because they don't connect in the same way that a minority would to a movie based on the lives of everyday minorities? I would give more credence to the idea that movies are made by people that identify with the story and they film actors that can identify with the characters.

Is there perhaps issues with race in Hollywood? I would say its debatable. African Americans make up 13% of the USA population. With this being said, it is not very surprising that less African Americans would rise up to the same esteem that whites do as they make up a vastly superior amount of people in the nation. As far as the Compton film and Concussion being snubbed, both topics are not very popular at the Oscars, and I didn't think either one was as good as these boycotters are making them out to be. Perhaps when the Academy is more diverse, different actors and films will be nominated. However, I don't think it needs to be artificially adjusted just so certain people are given awards based on anything but merit. Again though, people put way too much value in the Academy Awards. I believe that is the real issue we should talk about.

No. As a RULE, the Academy ignores black actors, directors, etc.. It is an EXCEPTION for the Academy to nominate or award black actors, directors, etc.. It's also worth noting that other groups (e.g. Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans) have have received almost ZERO awards from the Academy. Are you truly going to argue that Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans just aren't as good as acting, directing, etc. as white people? I hope not.

I don't even know why this is such a controversial issue. The Academy just needs to get a more diverse voting body in terms of gender, race, ethnicity and sexuality. Even further, the film industry as a whole needs to embrace diversity more as well.

So Danica Patrick should allowed to win in order to promote women in auto racing.

So Danica Patrick should allowed to win in order to promote women in auto racing.

Bad comparison. The Oscars are completely subjective; auto racing is not.

This is a different story and interesting take form a famous person on the Academy Awards story that I though was worth a thread.

Charlotte Rampling: Promoting Diversity In Oscar Nominations Is 'Racist To Whites'

I agree with her on this very much. It's about the ability to make ground breaking and excellent work in the medium of film. It's not about what's politically correct. I for one have not watched the Oscars in many years because I don't like the politics. I am afraid that my "boycott" however will continue because I think that the Oscars will now be driven by quotas rather than expert attention.

This is exactly what happened to MTV.

Thoughts?

Giving everyone an equal chance is not racist.

Looking at some and ignoring others is racist.

"Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

So Danica Patrick should allowed to win in order to promote women in auto racing.[
/QUOTE]

How do you allow anyone to win an auto race? Explain that to us.

You would have to involve all of the racers.

Not going to happen.

She's an idiot. The criticism directed at the Oscars is about how the mostly white and male voting body of the Academy consistently ignores actors, directors, producers, etc. of color. The Academy has a bias problem and it needs to be fixed.

They're so biased that they have a black woman at the helm.

That's what the boycotters are saying. "Not enough black winners". That's like "not enough black students".

We're supposed to be a color blind society, but apparently everything IS about race. That doesn't say a whole lot about the talents of people like Morgan Freeman then.

Hattie McDaniel was the first black person to win an Oscar, way back in 1939 (Best Supporting Actress), after playing Mammy in Gone With The Wind. It was a brilliant performance and she earned that Oscar in a year where many other great films were made. 1939 pre-dated Civil Rights and MLK and Affirmative Action and so on. She (McDaniel) won that award because she deserved that award, and I'm sure the voters who decided on it said the hell with offending people who didn't think a black woman should get the award. Here we are, almost 80 years later, with spoiled, whiny super wealthy actors making a scene. It's disgusting, and poor Hattie McDaniel is probably rolling in her grave at this nonsense.

Geezus...is that their estate?

Yep.

I had one poster order me to shut up and listen to them tell me all about their sad plight. Who cares if I grew up in a logging camp, right?

How do you allow anyone to win an auto race? Explain that to us.

You would have to involve all of the racers.

Not going to happen.

It's a metaphor... Moreover, money made a British Indy driver pile into a back fence as he tried to make first place in the first few laps. That's why Danica Patrick quite formula one.

Giving everyone an equal chance is not racist.

Looking at some and ignoring others is racist.

"Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

It's about the quality of a picture and the elements that made it. It's not about being politically correct. Whoopi Goldberg feels exactly the same way.

For instance, which WWII movie was more realistic and had you on the edge of your seat? The Longest Day? Or Saving Private Ryan? Technique has changed, but run together, which would get your vote?

It's about technique and the quality therein. The old days of the "movies" are over.

Bad comparison. The Oscars are completely subjective; auto racing is not.

It's quality over quantity that's the point. When a picture turns enough heads, it is no longer just a subjective experience, but an industry standard is surpassed.

The Danica metaphor makes the point based on that.

She's an idiot. The criticism directed at the Oscars is about how the mostly white and male voting body of the Academy consistently ignores actors, directors, producers, etc. of color. The Academy has a bias problem and it needs to be fixed.
Absolutely! More Affirmative Action needs to be exercised.

In fact everyone in the movie industry, and all the entertainment industry perhaps, should get 'Participation Awards' so that no one is left out and no feelings are hurt.

LOL!

The entertainer then recalled attending a fundraiser for Obama with “all of Hollywood” and roughly “four black people” — himself, record producer Quincy Jones, Def Jam Co-Founder Russell Simmons, and musician Questlove.

“So at some point you get to take a picture with the president,” Rock said.

“As they’re setting up the picture, you get like a little moment with the president. I’m like, ’Mr. President, you see all these writers, and producers and actors? They don’t hire black people. And they’re the nicest white people on Earth! They’re liberals. Cheese!’

“You’re damn right Hollywood is racist,” Rock concluded.

Chris Rock: Hollywood 'doesn’t hire black people' | TheHill

Overall, the Oscars was too political. Leonardo DiCaprio was lecturing America on global warming while Biden made a complete fool out of himself. Who are these men that are victims of sexual assault on college campus? Give me a break.

And the BET Awards are bias towards Whites, but you don't hear any bitching from us Whites about it.

This whole "The Oscars are racist" **** is just that...****! It's typical whining from the SJWs and their newly acquired allies in Follywood.

...while Biden made a complete fool out of himself. Who are these men that are victims of sexual assault on college campus? Give me a break.

Biden always makes a fool of himself. The Late Night guys were depressed when he announced he wasn't running for Prez. His foot-in-mouth disease makes for great material.

Back
Top Bottom