• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Charlotte Rampling: Promoting Diversity In Oscar Nominations Is 'Racist To Whites’

Re: Charlotte Rampling: Promoting Diversity In Oscar Nominations Is 'Racist To Whites

So for the record, the answer to the question is 'no'?

How exactly do you set out to write a screenplay for black actors?

he avoided the same question I asked him.

screenplays are written for characters not actors. they then find the actor that fits the character or something close to what they are wanting that they
can mold into.

then there are some cases were the actor doesn't fit the part they are playing for instance fantastic four.
most people know that johnny storm is susans brother in fact is it pretty much comic book cannon.

susan is white both her parents are white, but for the movie because we have to have diversity everywhere her brother was black.
now how dumb is that.

then you have other roles that are great. IE nick fury in the books is white. in the movie he is black and there is nothing lost in the translation because it fits
well to the actor.

Look at will smith.
The pursuit of happiness is an excellent movie. it really is a great movie.
Hitch was a good comedy kinda cheesy here or there but over all good.
again movies that he can fit the role for.

however you have to get the actor that can fit the role of the character.
if it is a white guy so be it. if it is a black guy so be it.

Re: Charlotte Rampling: Promoting Diversity In Oscar Nominations Is 'Racist To Whites

Simpleχity;1065487746 said:
23academy-web2-master675.jpg

The President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Cheryl Boone Issacs -- a female person of color

The 51 member AMPAS governing board will examine changing the nomination voting rules with the intent of phasing out older Academy voters and replacing them with a younger base.

The stated goal is to double the number of female and minority members by 2020. Ergo, rule-tinkering to promote a color quota and satisfy PC diversity.

everything has to be brought down to the level of mediocrity.
so and so wins not because the movie was great or outstanding but because of their skin color.

yea like I would want to win an award that way.

She's right. Awards should be based on merit, not on quotas. If there was a hiring freeze in Hollywood for minorities then the complainers would have a point but the Oscars are an awards show.

Words of wisdom Lloyd, words - of - wisdom.

Simpleχity;1065487746 said:
23academy-web2-master675.jpg

The President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Cheryl Boone Issacs -- a female person of color

The 51 member AMPAS governing board will examine changing the nomination voting rules with the intent of phasing out older Academy voters and replacing them with a younger base.

The stated goal is to double the number of female and minority members by 2020. Ergo, rule-tinkering to promote a color quota and satisfy PC diversity.

Yeeee -ep. Very well said. And now those "old timers who are legends of the craft, are going to pushed out of nest for political reasons.

Shameful.

The Oscars are a joke anyway.

there used to be time whether Oscars were a dinner, where actors went to eat and be given an award for their craft.

the took their award said a few words of thanks and exited.

today it is a joke, a side show of political statements, sexual innuendos, and actors who think they are idols for the public to worship.

She's an idiot. The criticism directed at the Oscars is about how the mostly white and male voting body of the Academy consistently ignores actors, directors, producers, etc. of color. The Academy has a bias problem and it needs to be fixed.

So . . . is it your assumption that a largely white and male voting body cannot appropriately evaluate artists of color? What is your evidence for that?

So . . . is it your assumption that a largely white and male voting body cannot appropriately evaluate artists of color? What is your evidence for that?

He doesn't have any, because it's all just supposition.

Beasts of no nation was very good. It wasn't idris elba who deserved the award, but the young African actor playing the lead child soldier.

The examples of deserving minority nominees put forward by activists are established black celebrities in okay performances not actual knockout performances by no names.

roles are written for a character not an actor.
you then find the best person that fits that character.

example. even though Agent Fury in the comics is white in the movies he is Samuel L Jackson.
and I think that he fits that character very well.

there were several movies this year that starred black actors they weren't very good.

Selma
Wedding ringer- stupid.
Supremacy
Focus which was more funny than good
the new magic mike-horrible
the fantastic four -horrible.
Straight out of Compton -- loses just on political view point.
London has fallen
The Jungle Book
Kidnap
The last Witch Hunter
Concussion (out after this list was made)

Those are all the movies that star black actors
very few of them were any good.
or good enough to win an Oscar.

I wonder if this means that the BET awards are now racists as well since it excludes everyone but black actors.

It's not racist, because it's for blacks. Grambling University is not racist because ITS for blacks.

Affirmative Action and diversity quotas continue to be the most effective way to keep black Americans marginalized in the back of the bus.

So much for Martin Luther King's dream.

She's an idiot. The criticism directed at the Oscars is about how the mostly white and male voting body of the Academy consistently ignores actors, directors, producers, etc. of color. The Academy has a bias problem and it needs to be fixed.

(chuckle)

The black winners only shows that blacks ARE NOT consistently ignored, and not all voters are white either.

So for the record, the answer to the question is 'no'?

How exactly do you set out to write a screenplay for black actors?

One way is to write movies about black people. The other way is to have actors in mind and write for them. That happens more than you might think.

Another example is Spike Lee's 25th Hour, a great movie, with only three blacks in the entire cast - who are in supporting roles: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307901/fullcredits/

Blacks are NOT ignored. It's about what's in the field at the time. Denzel Washington has won 4 oscars, one supporting role and four best actor. 12 Years a Slave won a host of awards, including best picture and it was directed by a black guy. So THAT goers on HIS resume...

It's all political BS and it's going to ruin the dignity of the awards.

So the best forty performances by film actors in every film in the last two years just happened to be given by white people?

So the best forty performances by film actors in every film in the last two years just happened to be given by white people?

So it would seem. As you can see, there has been no systemic exclusion of actors of color.

[h=3]List of black Academy Award winners and nominees ...[/h]https://en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_black_Academy_Award_w...

Wikipedia

This list of black Academy Award winners and nominees is current as of the 87th ... 1963, Lilies of the Field, Homer Smith, Won, First black male to win an Oscar.‎Best Actor in a Leading Role - ‎Best Actress in a Leading Role

That's what the boycotters are saying. "Not enough black winners". That's like "not enough black students".

We're supposed to be a color blind society, but apparently everything IS about race. That doesn't say a whole lot about the talents of people like Morgan Freeman then.
Correct. We're supposed to be a colorblind the society and the boycotters are arguing that the Academy is NOT colorblind in its voting as evidenced by its consistent lack of black nominees and winners despite worthy performances by then.

(chuckle)

The black winners only shows that blacks ARE NOT consistently ignored, and not all voters are white either.
No. As a RULE, the Academy ignores black actors, directors, etc.. It is an EXCEPTION for the Academy to nominate or award black actors, directors, etc.. It's also worth noting that other groups (e.g. Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans) have have received almost ZERO awards from the Academy. Are you truly going to argue that Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans just aren't as good as acting, directing, etc. as white people? I hope not.

I don't even know why this is such a controversial issue. The Academy just needs to get a more diverse voting body in terms of gender, race, ethnicity and sexuality. Even further, the film industry as a whole needs to embrace diversity more as well.

So, let's say the voting committee was 94% old blacks, mostly women (instead of the actual makeup of the committee which is 94% white, 77% men, median age 62, 14% younger than 50). Do you really think they would nominate the same group of actors and actresses?

It's not really about racism or quotas or anything else. It's just a fact that we all have biases, different tastes, different life experiences, and what performances appeal to old white men will not (at least always) be the same performances as those that appeal to young blacks or whites for that matter.

So, let's say the voting committee was 94% old blacks, mostly women (instead of the actual makeup of the committee which is 94% white, 77% men, median age 62, 14% younger than 50). Do you really think they would nominate the same group of actors and actresses?

It's not really about racism or quotas or anything else. It's just a fact that we all have biases, different tastes, different life experiences, and what performances appeal to old white men will not (at least always) be the same performances as those that appeal to young blacks or whites for that matter.

I take your point but I really don't care. It is foolish and dangerous to tinker with membership to attempt to achieve some predetermined "correct" outcome.

I take your point but I really don't care. It is foolish and dangerous to tinker with membership to attempt to achieve some predetermined "correct" outcome.

Foolish and dangerous? Why? Is there something sacred about the old way they chose members and voters?

And what is the predetermined "correct" outcome? As far as I know, the only weak demands are for a group of voters that isn't almost hilariously skewed old and white and male.

Foolish and dangerous? Why? Is there something sacred about the old way they chose members and voters?

And what is the predetermined "correct" outcome? As far as I know, the only weak demands are for a group of voters that isn't almost hilariously skewed old and white and male.

This discussion is based on failure to achieve an outcome that some believe would be more appropriate.

I'm not sure why the lack of minorities represented in nominations is shocking.

The entertainment industry is setup to entertain the most people to ensure profit. Therefore, they make movies about white heterosexuals staring white heterosexuals, and in turn, that makes up the majority of the body of work in which nominations are pulled from. They know their audience.

It's the same reason why Bollywood movies aren't inundated with comedies about French black lesbians taxicab drivers

This is a different story and interesting take form a famous person on the Academy Awards story that I though was worth a thread.

Charlotte Rampling: Promoting Diversity In Oscar Nominations Is 'Racist To Whites'

I agree with her on this very much. It's about the ability to make ground breaking and excellent work in the medium of film. It's not about what's politically correct. I for one have not watched the Oscars in many years because I don't like the politics. I am afraid that my "boycott" however will continue because I think that the Oscars will now be driven by quotas rather than expert attention.

This is exactly what happened to MTV.

Thoughts?

I suppose I just have a hard time giving a **** about rich people and their problems.

I'm not sure why the lack of minorities represented in nominations is shocking.

The entertainment industry is setup to entertain the most people to ensure profit. Therefore, they make movies about white heterosexuals staring white heterosexuals, and in turn, that makes up the majority of the body of work in which nominations are pulled from. They know their audience.

It's the same reason why Bollywood movies aren't inundated with comedies about French black lesbians taxicab drivers

I believe you are correct. The pro minority argument seems to be about outcome, not quality or popularity.

If you take the Oscars out of the equation and look at the peoples choice. That would be revenues. You will find almost no minority top grossing films.

It's simply a case of the market providing what the market wants.

Correct. We're supposed to be a colorblind the society and the boycotters are arguing that the Academy is NOT colorblind in its voting as evidenced by its consistent lack of black nominees and winners despite worthy performances by then.

"Worthy" according to whom?

Maybe they just weren't good enough, eh?

Back
Top Bottom