• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can you relate?

Enamored by yet another conman I see.

When you see Republicans, particularly at a State level doing the things they are doing.

This little cartoon is delusional to the nth degree.
For pity's sake - "delusional to the nth degree?" What's your value of n? 1.1, 1.2? Or are you deluding yourself with something more hyperbolic, like 2 billion or some similarly inane value?

I don't know about you but the "cartoon" does indeed show a shift of Republicans farther to the right of center - and farther and farther away from the left.

And who in their right mind can argue with that?

Your argument, it seems, is where the "conman" put his opinion of center - and his opinion of where he now stands in relation to that, and to both parties.
Well, argue away if that's the burr in your saddle - but know it's a stupid argument because it's your opinion against his - and you know what? Yours don't matter squat to him.

And trying to paint everyone else here as "partisan" for their opinions - not to mention insulting them - while maintaining your own blatantly partisan stance is the height of hypocrisy - and dare I say it - to the same nth degree.

YES, YES, YES, there are Republicans who are doing questionable things, some of them beyond the pale. But that is NO ARGUMENT that Democrats by comparison aren't doing the same, or worse.

The polarization between right and left in this country has gotten so far out of hand as to be utterly dangerous - but if you want to argue and insult and fling sanctimonious, snotty boogers at others because you don't agree on where center ought to be in a cartoon - well then - b'deep, b'deep, b'deep - that's all folks!

It's funny how it's the "left" that's the only side that changed but the fact is 2008 conservative front runner John McCain and 2021 darling Donald Trump are very, very different.
Personality wise, absolutely.
What were the very, very different policy differences you think exist - and which do you think was "further right" in the policy category?

"If you expect me to believe" ??? I don't expect any such thing. I never wrote any such thing.
There you go again, telling others what they think. This is what you do all the time.
Instead of learning what others think by actually engaging with them, you pretend that you are challenging them by way of insults.

I'm not interested in playing your games.
Bye
Trollin, Trollin , Trollin

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them trolls a movin'

Rawhide!

Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope, and throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.

Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

Trollin, Trollin , Trollin

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them trolls a movin'

Rawhide!

Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope, and throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.

Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!
I see Nina's already exerting her influence on the minions :)

Last edited:
You're right, he doesn't seem to share most peoples realities I would argue but herein lies the fundamental problem with what you're saying.

You're unable to address my challenge to it.

At all.

Directly challenging the OP, there is not much that is centre right about Republicanism today, particularly at the state level and you haven't addressed that at all.

As usual you guys run and deflect and say nothing from within the safety of your bubble wrapped universe.
You seem to want to discuss "the state level" but I've yet to see you discuss it. Go ahead and start that conversation. Address what you are thinking about or want addressed going on at state levels. It might generate a very interesting discussion. It seems useless to just keep accusing others of addressing a topic you brought up but, unless I haven't yet reached your points on that topic, you've yet to address yourself.

Personality wise, absolutely.
What were the very, very different policy differences you think exist - and which do you think was "further right" in the policy category?

The biggest one (IMO) would be immigration followed by moving from free trade to Trump tariffs and trade wars, supporting the Big Lie, typical 'pro-lifers' not wanting to do their part to save lives during a global pandemic, and they can't really claim to be the 'family values' party anymore.

Speaking of missing the point. I think I missed this post earlier. :)

Of course the right isn't in the same place as in 2008. But that wasn't the point Musk was trying to make. It's about his relationship to both the left and the right over the years. As the left moved further left he remained in the same relative position. He's not moving to the right. The left is moving away from him.
That fails the logic test. If he remains constant compared to the far right, that means he has moved farther right. Thus, he would be further from the left.

I see Nina's already exerting her influence on the minions

And that idiot is going to head the new disinformation board which in itself is one scary thing. This is the kind of thing despots engage in to stiffle anything that may threaten their power. Free speech is their worst nightmare.

I've long felt Trump policy was old school mainstream GOP policy. I know Trump greatly annoyed and bothered many, but it was his personality and not his solid policy, IMO. If anything, I think Trump was a bit to the left of previous Republican presidents.
The right is finally doing a little better at being more vocal and expressing their opinions but that's only because the left has gotten so out there that it's just not okay to remain silent about all these messes. But, in no way has the right moved right. The right has just found themselves in a position of trying to prevent that leftward trend from even more escalation - and that's got them more concerned and vocal than usual. What the left is doing and wants to do is extremely unsettling to many.
djt was definitely left of former R presidents in some policies (remember, he was a Democrat from 2001-2009). Don't agree with your conclusion.

If there was stock on the word "Trumpist" I'm pretty sure you would have cornered the market. Some day you might actually learn how dull it is to say. I doubt it though.

I suppose if I was able to understand your "reality" I might get it also. But my reality is delusional because I get the reality of Elon Musk -- and I'm liking it. :)
Seething anger and frustration, probably including with themselves, is likely at the heart of the liberal soul. When you commit the compulsive hypocrisy, they do, it always comes back to bite them in the ass.

That fails the logic test. If he remains constant compared to the far right, that means he has moved farther right. Thus, he would be further from the left.
If you look at the chart his position is static relative to the left and right. The left's movement further left is giving the illusion of Musk moving right. He hasn't changed his viewpoints. At least that's what he's trying to convey. In many ways I consider myself to be a liberal, but I don't recognize many of those claiming to be liberals. I can relate to Musk.

And that idiot is going to head the new disinformation board which in itself is one scary thing. This is the kind of thing despots engage in to stiffle anything that may threaten their power. Free speech is their worst nightmare.
Guaranteed she's a ultra-extreme leftwing zealot.

If you look at the chart his position is static relative to the left and right. The left's movement further left is giving the illusion of Musk moving right. He hasn't changed his viewpoints. At least that's what he's trying to convey. In many ways I consider myself to be a liberal, but I don't recognize many of those claiming to be liberals. I can relate to Musk.
My point on this also included Bill Mayer, who is also in this same position.

It's scary, and it's sobering.

And we have some here (who honestly should know better, imho) arguing about a cartoon and some unstated "state's actions" they don't like - all the while this administration has created something so egregious, so obvious and genuinely dangerous to our freedoms that their focus on this cartoon apparently overshadows even that.

Seething anger and frustration, probably including with themselves, is likely at the heart of the liberal soul. When you commit the compulsive hypocrisy, they do, it always comes back to bite them in the ass.
I don't understand the anger. Even though Biden is the POTUS many still are angry. Weird!

djt was definitely left of former R presidents in some policies (remember, he was a Democrat from 2001-2009). Don't agree with your conclusion.
Yes, I think some of Trump's ideas and suggestions reminded us he used to be a Democrat.
That paired with many thinking the party is the party of Trump now - sure makes me wonder why there are posters actively trying to claim the right has moved right. IMO, the right has actually moved left - if in any direction.
I think the Musk chart is very reflective of the reality of the last decade+.

Guaranteed she's a ultra-extreme leftwing zealot.
I think the whole plan (including Nina) will be another backfire of the left. I don't know if they felt they could just quietly sneak in this whole Ministry of Truth and Nina - but it's all just another terrible move by the left. It's garnering all sorts of attention (non-flattering) and it shows more of their mission to control. This will not turn out well for them IMO.

You seem to want to discuss "the state level" but I've yet to see you discuss it. Go ahead and start that conversation. Address what you are thinking about or want addressed going on at state levels. It might generate a very interesting discussion. It seems useless to just keep accusing others of addressing a topic you brought up but, unless I haven't yet reached your points on that topic, you've yet to address yourself.
Edit: should read, "accusing others of not addressing a topic".

Oh wow - now that's an interesting Musk tweet! I hadn't seen this one. Thanks for posting.
I sure agree with both the move of center to the left and the run of the left, far further to the left - into some weird far left territory.
I'm sure you do.

The biggest one (IMO) would be immigration followed by moving from free trade to Trump tariffs and trade wars, supporting the Big Lie, typical 'pro-lifers' not wanting to do their part to save lives during a global pandemic, and they can't really claim to be the 'family values' party anymore.
They certainly don't do that anymore.

Back
Top Bottom