• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can anyone honestly think of a good reason the US doesnt just absorb every country down to the Panama Canal?

When I was very young my dad advised not to date girls who had more problems than I had. Why absorb countries that have more problems than we have?
sounds like your father was a wise man. I will have to remember that for future reference

They make this country better. Immigrants build this country. Racist Trump trash make this country worse and people like that have fought progress the entire history of this country and helped perpetuate so many atrocities
"racist Trump trash" involves how many people compared to say banal Biden Bolshevik bastards?

World Development is easier and cheaper and has better results, especially when done locally.

It seems the study they cite to make their point has been very thoroughly criticized. Their estimate of the number of illegal immigrants is more than a million higher than any official estimate. They include the cost of educating the children of illegal immigrants but don't add in the taxes the children will pay as adults. If you used their methods on the general population, each American citizens would be a net drain on the economy.

A National Academies of Sciences report published in September 2016 found that while immigrants — especially ones with lower education levels like most undocumented immigrants — are probably a net fiscal drain, the children of all immigrants are among the highest economic contributors and taxpayers in the country.

"If you throw out the impact of the kids, you are also sort of stacking the deck for your preferred outcome," said Gretchen Donehower a researcher from the University of California, Berkeley, and a consultant on the National Academies of Sciences report.

A FAIR study in 2017 found illegal immigrants are a net consumer of taxpayer benefits worth more than $100 billion a year, not including the cost of enforcing the border.
-------------------------------

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) is a non profit, anti-immigration organization in the United States.[6] The group publishes position papers, organizes events, and runs campaigns in order to advocate for changes in U.S. immigration policy. The Southern Poverty Law Center classifies FAIR as a hate group with close ties to white supremacist groups.[7]

FAIR is headquartered in Washington, D.C. and was founded in 1979 by Michigan surgeon, eugenics supporter, and former president of Zero Population Growth John Tanton, former historian of labor movements and director of the Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions Otis L. Graham Jr., and the late Sidney Swensrud, a former chairman of Gulf Oil and former governing board member of Planned Parenthood.[8][9][10]

FoxNews/Pravda never disappoints. I'm on their website every day. Their comments sections are something to see.

It seems the study they cite to make their point has been very thoroughly criticized. Their estimate of the number of illegal immigrants is more than a million higher than any official estimate. They include the cost of educating the children of illegal immigrants but don't add in the taxes the children will pay as adults. If you used their methods on the general population, each American citizens would be a net drain on the economy.

Do you seriously think that those illegal immigrants taking advantage of our entitlement system are paying income taxes as adults?

Do you seriously think that those illegal immigrants taking advantage of our entitlement system are paying income taxes as adults?
Uhhhh....
IRS estimates that about 6 million unauthorized immigrants file individual income tax returns each year.[20] Research reviewed by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office indicates that between 50 percent and 75 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes.[20] Illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security.[21] In addition, they spend billions of dollars per year, which supports the US economy and helps to create new jobs. The Texas State Comptroller reported in 2006 that the 1.4 million unauthorized immigrants in Texas added almost $18 billion to the gross state product, and contributed $1.58 billion in state revenue, while costing the state about $1.16 billion in services used.[22]

Yes? Unless you don't believe the IRS.

Donald J. Trump paid $750 in federal income taxes the year he won the presidency. In his first year in the White House, he paid another $750.

But let's blame poor people.

It's like people have never heard of world development.

Donald J. Trump paid $750 in federal income taxes the year he won the presidency. In his first year in the White House, he paid another $750.

But let's blame poor people.
I saw those articles making that claim. They lied by omission. Trump's tax bill was actually $7,435,857.00 He paid the full amount of his taxes but used $7,435,107 of his tax credit from previous tax years and $750 of cash. Both cash and the credit are government liabilities that the U.S. government accepts as payment for taxes. Paying the credit is not the equivalent of not paying taxes. The New York Times and other left wing sources conveniently left that out. Just another case of "Fake News".

I saw those articles making that claim. They lied by omission. Trump's tax bill was actually $7,435,857.00 He paid the full amount of his taxes but used $7,435,107 of his tax credit from previous tax years and $750 of cash. Both cash and the credit are government liabilities that the U.S. government accepts as payment for taxes. Paying the credit is not the equivalent of not paying taxes. The New York Times and other left wing sources conveniently left that out. Just another case of "Fake News".
How is using the tax credit not the same as not paying the taxes? The uber rich and corporations have perverted the tax code in a manner that they can use tax exemptions, credits, shell corporations, holding companies, and so on, in a way they can legally pay next to nothing in taxes if it suits them, or pay a lot in taxes and take it back in credits when that suits them.

Please, Janis Joplin's backup band was named Big Brother and the Holding Company. We've known about this scam for generations.

How is using the tax credit not the same as not paying the taxes? The uber rich and corporations have perverted the tax code in a manner that they can use tax exemptions, credits, shell corporations, holding companies, and so on, in a way they can legally pay next to nothing in taxes if it suits them, or pay a lot in taxes and take it back in credits when that suits them.
You are kidding, right? Have you never done your own taxes? The stories you read, lied by omission.
Please, Janis Joplin's backup band was named Big Brother and the Holding Company. We've known about this scam for generations.
How did we get to Janis Joplin? I thought we were talking about taxes. Will we be talking about Madonna next?

You are kidding, right? Have you never done your own taxes? The stories you read, lied by omission.
Did not address a single point I made.
How did we get to Janis Joplin? I thought we were talking about taxes. Will we be talking about Madonna next?
I was talking what her band was named, not her, as you know but ignored.

Did not address a single point I made.

I was talking what her band was named, not her, as you know but ignored.

As far as the IRS is concerned, paying your tax bill with tax credits does not amount to not paying your taxes. If you are still confused, talk to a tax accountant.

As far as the IRS is concerned, paying your tax bill with tax credits does not amount to not paying your taxes. If you are still confused, talk to a tax accountant.
I've spoken to a few. They told me, pay the money this year, you get it back in a credit next year, you just lose a year of interest.
I said, that can't be legal.
It's legal.

I mean...doesnt it just make sense? Half their population is already here, their countries are for the most part shitholes but since we are dumping money into them anyway, why not make them states and let capitalists see what they can do to build viable companies with jobs for the locals, using our economic standards along the way. No pay exploitation, leave, sick leave, health care, unions...all the usual stuff...

OK...maybe Costa Rica...we draw the line there. That would be OK.

I think it would be merciful. Hell, Haiti, The DR, Jamaica, Puerto Rico...all of it. Let Cuba make their own choices...we arent trying to start a war here. Just sayin.
That's what Putin thinks about Europe, and definitely what he thought about crimea.

I've spoken to a few. They told me, pay the money this year, you get it back in a credit next year, you just lose a year of interest.
I said, that can't be legal.
It's legal.
Either way, Trump paid over 7 million in taxes. The $750 claim is a big lie by omission. Fake News.

The people living their likely DO want to be, the government on the other hand, likely do not.

Except for the fact that there’s literally zero evidence that the people of those countries want to be annexed by America either.

Did Israel "absorb" peaceful neighbors?

My "Godwin's Law" moment and question was more aimed at how Poland and Austria et.al. were "absorbed".
Israel asserts a national security interest over a swath of land and then annexes it. Or they just send a bunch of settlers in and say it’s theirs now.

Israel asserts a national security interest over a swath of land and then annexes it. Or they just send a bunch of settlers in and say it’s theirs now.
Now I'm not only concerned with what exactly "absorbing" is but now I'm equally flummoxed about how we "assert" our national security interest. No one is sending troops to repel the "absorbing" in Israel. I'm not sure Mexico or Central America will "let us absorb them today" (to paraphrase W. Earp to Sheriff Behan).

Except for the fact that there’s literally zero evidence that the people of those countries want to be annexed by America either.
I means there are thousands of people that come here, daily. I'd consider that evidence, you?

I means there are thousands of people that come here, daily. I'd consider that evidence, you?

Oh, I'm with you. Whenever I see tourists from Tokyo, I understand that they want America to declare war on Japan.

Oh, I'm with you. Whenever I see tourists from Tokyo, I understand that they want America to declare war on Japan.
Who said war? I really wish you (collective) would stop trying to ascertain what people plainly say. I don't need you or anyone else here trying to tell me what I mean.

Who said war? I really wish you (collective) would stop trying to ascertain what people plainly say. I don't need you or anyone else here trying to tell me what I mean.

Japanese tourism is evidence that the Japanese want America to annex Japan, believes Cope, but don't say it out loud, because then Cope feels ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom