• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP Doesn't Deserve a Liability Cap

Better to work faster at an alternative, as that is where the future is. ;)

Why not do both. It blows my mind that the government has not called for a game changing investment in alternative energies.

Why not do both. It blows my mind that the government has not called for a game changing investment in alternative energies.

Well, to some degree both have to be done, but it is the focus we're talking about. Right now it is still oil heavy, when the effort has to eb game changing towards alternatives.

Well, to some degree both have to be done, but it is the focus we're talking about. Right now it is still oil heavy, when the effort has to eb game changing towards alternatives.

The President to have an easy win if he suggested exactly what you are talking about. I can't understand why he doesn't call for an all out effort on alternative energy. He isn't even doing a push for natural gas where we have huge reserves already proven in the U.S.

Heavy trucks and utilities can be retrofitted to use nat gas which is cheaper, safer and something that would really stimulate our economy.

Doesn't the government have a role in protecting the environment? or is that just all talk?

j-mac

They should, but BP made this mess and it should be their responsibility to pay every last cent of the clean up costs.

Because it has to be cleaned up and BP is not likley to do it all. We'll see, but I suspect BP will fall short.

So we should pass legislation or regulations ensuring they support the entire cost.

If liability caps are legally in place, specifiically legislated to cover oil companies (as is the case from the Oil Pollution Act), then all oil companies "deserve" the liability caps they are legally entitled to until they have their day in court to prove guilt of neglect, illegality, or malfeasance.

Last edited:
If we had this in place, Im willing to bet that BP wouldve been more careful

Richard A. Epstein: BP Doesn't Deserve a Liability Cap - WSJ.com

If the state doesn't want to share liability with BP then they should sell BP the land instead of leasing it to them or they should allow BP to homestead it. The Federal Government enjoys liability in this case due to the fact that they leased the land and made a profit through royalties paid by BP. The land should be homesteaded and the owner should be made to assume full liability. But that's never going to happen.

Last edited:
Frankly, I dont see why there's a limit on the damages.

Because the Federal Government has partial liability in this matter, the land was leased by the Federal Government to BP in exchange for royalties made off the capital generated by the oil well, in fact the regulatory commission (Mineral Managements Service) responsible for regulating the well gets its entire funding through such royalties.

BP made a mistake due to their own sloppiness and they need to rectify that, to take responsibility for their error.

Then let them homestead or even purchase the land on the condition that they assume full liability for damages. If I lease you land knowing that you're going to use it to produce say meth and I proceed to acquire profits from the meth which you distribute and that meth lab explodes and sets fire to a near by neighborhood I should enjoy partial liability. Same case here.

j-mac said:
Doesn't the government have a role in protecting the environment? or is that just all talk?

j-mac

They should, but BP made this mess and it should be their responsibility to pay every last cent of the clean up costs.

Here is the problem in all its glory. Conservatives are concerned with the damage being done right now to coast lines, and in the Gulf to wildlife there while Obama and his team blocks any efforts to stop the damage, and liberals are concerned with who is going to stroke the check?
STOP THE OIL, AND CLEAN IT UP FIRST, THEN WORRY ABOUT MAKING BP PAY!!!!!! HOW ABOUT THAT?

j-mac

I'm still not sure why the federal government should spend a dime cleaning up BP's mess.

Because the Federal Government has partial liability in this matter, the land was leased by the Federal Government to BP in exchange for royalties made off the capital generated by the oil well, in fact the regulatory commission (Mineral Managements Service) responsible for regulating the well gets its entire funding through such royalties. If you want BP to pay the entire tab, then let them homestead or even purchase the land on the condition that they assume full liability for damages. If I lease you land knowing that you're going to use it to produce (say meth) and I then proceed to acquire profits from the meth which you distribute and that meth lab explodes and sets fire to a near by neighborhood I should enjoy partial liability. Same case here.

Back
Top Bottom