• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Books to read before they hit the big screen

First of all, yes, they can be hazed and beaten to death with their clothes on. But why should they? You and I have had this discussion before. I think plain old vanilla nudity is harmless for kids. You, as I recall, think something bad will happen to kids' psyches if they happen to catch a glimpse of a grown woman's areola before they're 18. But neither of us budged an inch in that argument so I'd rather not get into it again.

Second of all, yes nudity is often thrown into films as cheap sex appeal. But the nudity in Ender's game isn't really sexual at all. The scenes of nudity, especially the one that stands out in my memory of the big adult waggling penis, have to do with one of the major themes of the novel - kids trying to deal with that weird grey area of adolescence and puberty where they're being pulled in two different directions: wanting to stay a child and yearning to be a full-fledged adult. It's particularly relevant given that these kids aren't in high school, but they're in a military academy where they are being asked to kill and be killed in the name of mankind. They're kids trying to deal with an adult responsibility. They do so by imitating and idolizing adulthood. And once you finish the book and the major plot twist is revealed, you'll understand just how critical that theme is to the novel.

While this is true, I don't believe they're removing the darker parts of the book because of time constraints. I think they're removing the darker parts to make the film more "kid-friendly". Which I think is a decision driven by money, and I think they're losing something important from the novel by doing so.

I don't recall discussing this with you before . . . maybe that was someone else? (but it doesn't matter - non issue)

Until I read it I can't say much else. All I can offer is my effort to imagine what might be different, and why, when they transfer it to a movie.

Odds are - they'll rework the storyline to where nudity is not necessary in the movie to *see*. Maybe what you're referring to will be in the movie - but suggested or off camera? I'm not sure. . . maybe - maybe not. Don't know - there are sex scenes and nude scenes in PG-13 movies, but it's not full-frontal nudity and certain things are absolutely not allowed. Breaking Dawn (Twilight) was PG-13 and they were partially covered while nude in bed having sex - more than once. It's like a tally-chart, every violent scene, curse word, and sexual suggestive scene gets a tick mark (or two) and once they have a certain number it's bumped up in rating. . . and so on.

If it's suggested or partially concealed would that negate the factor, to you? It would be interesting to read the book and see just how much it was discussed and what importance was placed on it.

Here's a lengthier synopsis:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/375802.Ender_s_Game?ac=1

In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut—young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training.

Ender's skills make him a leader in school and respected in the Battle Room, where children play at mock battles in zero gravity. Yet growing up in an artificial community of young soldiers Ender suffers greatly from isolation, rivalry from his peers, pressure from the adult teachers, and an unsettling fear of the alien invaders. His psychological battles include loneliness, fear that he is becoming like the cruel brother he remembers, and fanning the flames of devotion to his beloved sister.

Is Ender the general Earth needs? But Ender is not the only result of the genetic experiments. The war with the Buggers has been raging for a hundred years, and the quest for the perfect general has been underway for almost as long. Ender's two older siblings are every bit as unusual as he is, but in very different ways. Between the three of them lie the abilities to remake a world. If, that is, the world survives.

It was interesting to read the Author's opinion on his book being turned into a movie which is relevant to this discussion.

Full Interview with Card and Johnston from the 2013 LA Times Festival of Books | Ender's Ansible

“I believe and believe that a good movie can be made of ‘Ender’s Game,’ but it won’t be the book. It won’t be identical to the book. So if you go there expecting that please don’t be angry that it’s not just like the book. It can’t be. I don’t want it to be. You don’t want it to be, ok? You want it to be a good movie which the book would not have been. So we’ll all find out whether they’re successful or not, but I know everyone involved in this movie is doing their very best they can to do this. I’ve talked to so many involved and they care about it. They love the book and they want this to give the same effect as the book. And so I can tell you this, if it doesn’t work for you it will not be because of any lack of good will or strong effort on the part of some very talented people. Not everything that you try works. [...] This film will be the best good people could do with a story they really cared about and believed in. So I’m very hopeful.”

So - evidently the author felt that some things wouldn't transfer to the movie very well. In part - because in a movie you're limited to time, but also you're limited on knowing what people are thinking and feeling. It's a different medium that relies on dialogue and visuals - books rely on words, there's a lot more freedom inside a book.

He says he didn't want to just have a movie about a violent little kid - so he probably pushed for it to focus on the relationships in a more positive light. He's supposed to be a well-admired character which people root for.

Last edited:
The only one I've read is Ender's Game, many, many years ago and will not see the movie. I have zero interest in any of the others, books or movies.

to the first series of books or Ender's game, itself?

I loved enders game but much preferred the books that followed Bean, don't know why but I really warmed to Bean and loved the whole dynamic with Achilles.

I loved enders game but much preferred the books that followed Bean, don't know why but I really warmed to Bean and loved the whole dynamic with Achilles.

as I said earlier, the entire feel to the books following ender more resemble space opera, as opposed to the hardcore rationalist mentality espoused in EG.

I've read Divergent, but none of the others on that list. Divergent is pretty good if you're into the dystopian thing, though I don't think I'd put it on the same level as The Hunger Games.

Some of the others in that list sound interesting, though. May have to check them out after I finish A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.

Back
Top Bottom