• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Book burning

If you believe there is racism in America give some money to help prevent it.

How much do you give?

The most I could do would be to run for office, which would outweigh my financial influence. In office, I would strive to ban all mention of race in the media and government. I'd put forth that the recognition of race itself is in fact racist. My platform wouldn't be very popular though, as people are race-crazed by default and look to government for racial absolution.

To that end, still with my goal of a race-blind country, I may try to establish a Ministry of Race, and force tattooed barcodes on people's foreheads so that their precise racial genetics are known. I'd establish laws that apply to certain races only, and pro-rate those laws for mixed race people, as per the Ministry. For example, the law would treat a 50/50 black/white differently than a 60/40 black/white. Hopefully this would result in some sort of realization by the people that we can't win when we point out race, and I would have succeeded in my goal.

Would you vote for me based on this platform?

The question is were those books paid for?

The most I could do would be to run for office, which would outweigh my financial influence. In office, I would strive to ban all mention of race in the media and government. I'd put forth that the recognition of race itself is in fact racist. My platform wouldn't be very popular though, as people are race-crazed by default and look to government for racial absolution.

To that end, still with my goal of a race-blind country, I may try to establish a Ministry of Race, and force tattooed barcodes on people's foreheads so that their precise racial genetics are known. I'd establish laws that apply to certain races only, and pro-rate those laws for mixed race people, as per the Ministry. For example, the law would treat a 50/50 black/white differently than a 60/40 black/white. Hopefully this would result in some sort of realization by the people that we can't win when we point out race, and I would have succeeded in my goal.

Would you vote for me based on this platform?

I see. So you would not give money but you demand others do

Other students did relate, so it is possible. Perhaps other simply declined to. It isn't something white people have to think about. Being a part of the group that controls the world we live in has its privileges.

The message of "white privilege" is that blacks are inferior and that is okay because it is not their fault. It is Jim Crow 2.0. What better way to keep blacks in their place than make them feel like there is no point trying because they can never get ahead of the white man.

Freedom of speech and expression. I support their right to do so, but think it is more beneficial to donate books. Education is something this country needs more of.

I agree with you on the point that its not a crime. Do you feel its appropiate for the gov to give funding to a business that practices discrimination based on politics?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You mean like Trump handing farmers $28 Billion?

Usually I reserve race-based articles from CNN to Rickeroo's thread, so indulge me for a moment here.

Georgia college students burned the books of a Latina author - CNN

The book burned was from a Latina author who promoted the concept of white privilege at a talk on campus. One of the students remarked:

"What makes you believe that it's okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we're taught. I don't understand what the purpose of this was"

The student is misinformed. They assume that diversity means a whole bunch of races living in harmony. But in practice diversity means whites must get their comeuppance and feel shame - it's synonymous with white privilege. The burning is merely a result of the confusion over the meaning of the term.

Regardless of the confusion over terms or definitions, I'll wager that both the book burners, along with the students that support the concept of white privilege, won't be donating a portion of their higher salary (acquired through white privilege) to persons of color.

That is not what diversity is in practice. It is what puerile justification for opposing diversity is in discourse.

That is not what diversity is in practice. It is what puerile justification for opposing diversity is in discourse.

What is diversity in practice? What exactly does it mean?

What is diversity in practice? What exactly does it mean?

It means we are individual beings not to be judged by race, ethnicity, gender, etc. Superficially, this is the problem with affirmative action programs. They do make such a judgment, but in a non-diverse setting and with a view toward eventual diversity not practically achievable otherwise.

It means we are individual beings not to be judged by race, ethnicity, gender, etc. Superficially, this is the problem with affirmative action programs. They do make such a judgment, but in a non-diverse setting and with a view toward eventual diversity not practically achievable otherwise.

I'm not sure I understand. Affirmative action judges based on race, and then tries to apply remedial action to equalize outcome among the races. However, I can see that in order for affirmative action to exist, it must first be applied in a non-diverse setting, such as a company having all white people.

Freedom of speech and expression. I support their right to do so, but think it is more beneficial to donate books. Education is something this country needs more of.

Donating books spreads ideas, burning them seeks to eliminate ideas.

Donating books spreads ideas, burning them seeks to eliminate ideas.

I'm aware, and I know why they burnt these books. I still support their right to do it. I disagree with why and think its fruitless but whatever.

Correct. I'm waiting to see a white democrat, who supposedly believes in "white privilege", give that portion of their salary due to privilege away to persons 'of color'.

A starting point might be the difference in median household income between blacks and whites, which amounts to $27,887:

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/visualizations/2018/demo/p60-263/figure1.pdf

That $27,000 must have been acquired through privilege, therefore must be redistributed. Of the candidates, I'm thinking Bernie should call for this. The median white income needs to be reduced. Companies pay them higher salaries simply because they enjoy the look of their lily-white skin in the office.

This is rather silly. You make demands on someone who has already made gains in tolerance and acceptance by their recognition of their privilege while making no demands on yourself.

No, sometimes I find "attractiveness" in that which differs from the cliched concepts of my culture. And no, I don't know that I'm extraordinarily "broadminded," but I do choose to see others as the unique individuals they are rather than as part of a larger group.

Could you give an example of this?

If you believe there is racism in America give some money to help prevent it.

How much do you give?

That's kind of a band-aid. Want to fight racism. Next time you go for a mortgage loan, tell the bank officer, "don't assume I'm white." Move into a majority/minority community. Of course, one is unlikely to do that because the housing values are lower and it effects one's effort to build wealth.

The issue runs much deep than donating to a good cause.

No one disputes that it is free speech, much as a mock lynching is free speech. The message that it conveys that is disturbing.

As Heinrich Heine, one of Germany’s greatest poets, said: “Where they burn books, they will also ultimately burn people.”

Lawfully, it’s an act of protected free expression. Fundamentally, it’s an aggressive hostile act against someone else’s free expression. Intellectually, it’s anti thought. Viscerally, it depends on how you feel about burning books.

The author is partly to blame for this- her answers were extremely snobbish and arrogant, but not surprising- and this led to the book burning.

A lot of these literary writers think theyre the greatest geniuses in the world, but theyre just legends in their own mind.

As long as it’s not agents of the government burning the book, it’s an act of free speech to burn books.

True, but it's also still worthy of opprobrium.

It gets tiring to continually explain what white privilege is. Seriously, does anyone still believe that being white doesn't make life easier?

In the vast majority of America yes. But not all of it.

Back
Top Bottom