• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Book burning

You realize men are raped too and of course you are avoiding the larger context of my post by narrowing in on that one example. All people have preferences and privileges in one form or another. White privilege is so ambigious of a term that its meaningless.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's not one example, that's all of them. Women preferring black men, Hooters only hiring women. Both of those are also because of sexualization and dehumanization.

It gets tiring to continually explain what white privilege is. Seriously, does anyone still believe that being white doesn't make life easier?

That is such a simplistic view of the world. There are so many factors in each person's life that go in to making life "easier". First off, no one's life is really easy. Life is hard. Not saying that life cannot be enjoyable and fulfilling - but spinning around the sun and piling up the years - every human sees their share of joy and tears. It is one of the things that I detest about identity politics - it strips us of our common humanity and tries to divide us 9 ways from Sunday. Race, income, political beliefs, religion or sectarian, sexual orientation you name it. If we can gain advantage by pitting one group against another it is a win. That really makes me sad for the world.

There are many things that we get from our genes that we have no control over. We don't pick our parents. Ethnicity is the least important of all. You have no control over it, you can't change it and it does not define who you are. Other factors in life are a blend of nature (genetics) and nurture, Some people are born gifted with great looks, high intelligence or other characteristics that make up who we are. Those we can have some control over. Take care of your body to enhance your looks or athleticism or study to enhance your mental capabilities. We have some control over those things. The majority of what makes the difference is character, work ethic, drive and the life choices we make. Of course there is some randomness in the universe. You can do everything right and still fail. What is that old joke, eat right, exercise die young anyway. Does racism / tribalism exist? Of course it does. Has there ever been a time in history anywhere in the world where it played so minor of a role? I don't think so. Maybe my world view is shaped by the industry I have been in my entire career. In software development, we hire the best programmer - period.

I really feel sorry for you guys that have the world view that it is all just an oppression Olympics. I love history, I study a lot of history. For the vast majority of humans on this planet, there has never been a better time to be alive.

I wish you all the best.

Charles

That's not one example, that's all of them. Women preferring black men, Hooters only hiring women. Both of those are also because of sexualization and dehumanization.
Ok lets say your position is true. What do you want to do about it? Are you only concerned about these things from white males or do think action should be taken against all these forms of it. What actions should we take to correct this injustice?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not exactly. From the very beginning, highly organized book burning by a student's union was under the scripted guidance by Nazi officials, with the first major book burning having Goebbels give a speech to 40,000 students in Berlin. You could just as easily say that government censorship was accepted voluntarily, because it was.

While the line between state and party is often blurred in totalitarian regimes like Nazi Germany, I do not believe that government laws or policies dictated that books be burned. The motivation came from the mob and it was urged on by the Nazi party. Today it is urged by our president. I would like to hear him comment on this. I think we all know that he wouldn't object.

As long as it’s not agents of the government burning the book, it’s an act of free speech to burn books.

No one disputes that it is free speech, much as a mock lynching is free speech. The message that it conveys that is disturbing.

As Heinrich Heine, one of Germany’s greatest poets, said: “Where they burn books, they will also ultimately burn people.”

The bigger problem was her response along the lines of that you can even ask me that question is because of your white privilege. She didn't take the time to even articulate an answer that anybody not in her mindframe, which the student clearly was not, can understand or relate to.

Other students did relate, so it is possible. Perhaps other simply declined to. It isn't something white people have to think about. Being a part of the group that controls the world we live in has its privileges.

That is such a simplistic view of the world. There are so many factors in each person's life that go in to making life "easier". First off, no one's life is really easy. Life is hard. Not saying that life cannot be enjoyable and fulfilling - but spinning around the sun and piling up the years - every human sees their share of joy and tears. It is one of the things that I detest about identity politics - it strips us of our common humanity and tries to divide us 9 ways from Sunday. Race, income, political beliefs, religion or sectarian, sexual orientation you name it. If we can gain advantage by pitting one group against another it is a win. That really makes me sad for the world.

There are many things that we get from our genes that we have no control over. We don't pick our parents. Ethnicity is the least important of all. You have no control over it, you can't change it and it does not define who you are. Other factors in life are a blend of nature (genetics) and nurture, Some people are born gifted with great looks, high intelligence or other characteristics that make up who we are. Those we can have some control over. Take care of your body to enhance your looks or athleticism or study to enhance your mental capabilities. We have some control over those things. The majority of what makes the difference is character, work ethic, drive and the life choices we make. Of course there is some randomness in the universe. You can do everything right and still fail. What is that old joke, eat right, exercise die young anyway. Does racism / tribalism exist? Of course it does. Has there ever been a time in history anywhere in the world where it played so minor of a role? I don't think so. Maybe my world view is shaped by the industry I have been in my entire career. In software development, we hire the best programmer - period.

I really feel sorry for you guys that have the world view that it is all just an oppression Olympics. I love history, I study a lot of history. For the vast majority of humans on this planet, there has never been a better time to be alive.

I wish you all the best.

Charles

People aren't born with good looks. They are born into a culture that values how they look.

Usually I reserve race-based articles from CNN to Rickeroo's thread, so indulge me for a moment here.

Georgia college students burned the books of a Latina author - CNN

The book burned was from a Latina author who promoted the concept of white privilege at a talk on campus. One of the students remarked:

"What makes you believe that it's okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we're taught. I don't understand what the purpose of this was"

The student is misinformed. They assume that diversity means a whole bunch of races living in harmony. But in practice diversity means whites must get their comeuppance and feel shame - it's synonymous with white privilege. The burning is merely a result of the confusion over the meaning of the term.

Regardless of the confusion over terms or definitions, I'll wager that both the book burners, along with the students that support the concept of white privilege, won't be donating a portion of their higher salary (acquired through white privilege) to persons of color.

Nor will you

Usually I reserve race-based articles from CNN to Rickeroo's thread, so indulge me for a moment here.

The book burned was from a Latina author who promoted the concept of white privilege at a talk on campus. One of the students remarked:

"What makes you believe that it's okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we're taught. I don't understand what the purpose of this was"

The student is misinformed. They assume that diversity means a whole bunch of races living in harmony. But in practice diversity means whites must get their comeuppance and feel shame - it's synonymous with white privilege. The burning is merely a result of the confusion over the meaning of the term.

Regardless of the confusion over terms or definitions, I'll wager that both the book burners, along with the students that support the concept of white privilege, won't be donating a portion of their higher salary (acquired through white privilege) to persons of color.

They assume that diversity means that all people who are different from them act like them.

I don't read it that way - but more power to you.

Results from these studies suggest that physically attractive traits include high degrees of bilateral facial symmetries, such as eyes that are identical in shape and size, and waist-to-hip ratios of 0.7 for women and 0.9 for men.

The article supports my point. People find what attractiveness in what they are familiar with. We are familiar with people in our culture. Move to another group of different looking people, become familiar with them, and they will become attractive.

What about those of us who find attractiveness in all or most cultures?

I just want to second that. In my original post, I was really pointing out things that have a genetic component. Attractiveness is subjective and can be superficial. Once you get past the surface, a persons personality and your feelings for them have a much larger factor in how you view them. I don't think we only find beauty in the familiar. If you look at examples of what are considered to be attractive people from all over the world and both sexes - they are pleasing to see. Again that is a superficial observation but it just is the way it is.

I don't know. Extraordinarily broadminded? You find traits in people in other cultures that reflect those that are considered attractive in yours? It could be any number of things.

Nor will you

Correct. I'm waiting to see a white democrat, who supposedly believes in "white privilege", give that portion of their salary due to privilege away to persons 'of color'.

A starting point might be the difference in median household income between blacks and whites, which amounts to $27,887:

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/visualizations/2018/demo/p60-263/figure1.pdf

That $27,000 must have been acquired through privilege, therefore must be redistributed. Of the candidates, I'm thinking Bernie should call for this. The median white income needs to be reduced. Companies pay them higher salaries simply because they enjoy the look of their lily-white skin in the office.

I just want to second that. In my original post, I was really pointing out things that have a genetic component. Attractiveness is subjective and can be superficial. Once you get past the surface, a persons personality and your feelings for them have a much larger factor in how you view them. I don't think we only find beauty in the familiar. If you look at examples of what are considered to be attractive people from all over the world and both sexes - they are pleasing to see. Again that is a superficial observation but it just is the way it is.

I agree; there is not only beauty in the unfamiliar, but also wonder.

Yes, as you grow to know someone, you see his or her unique beauty...sometimes even in their scars or "deformities."

I don't know. Extraordinarily broadminded? You find traits in people in other cultures that reflect those that are considered attractive in yours? It could be any number of things.

No, sometimes I find "attractiveness" in that which differs from the cliched concepts of my culture. And no, I don't know that I'm extraordinarily "broadminded," but I do choose to see others as the unique individuals they are rather than as part of a larger group.

Burning books is always, always, always a bad road.

Correct. I'm waiting to see a white democrat, who supposedly believes in "white privilege", give that portion of their salary due to privilege away to persons 'of color'.

A starting point might be the difference in median household income between blacks and whites, which amounts to $27,887:

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/visualizations/2018/demo/p60-263/figure1.pdf

That $27,000 must have been acquired through privilege, therefore must be redistributed. Of the candidates, I'm thinking Bernie should call for this. The median white income needs to be reduced. Companies pay them higher salaries simply because they enjoy the look of their lily-white skin in the office.

If you believe there is racism in America give some money to help prevent it.

How much do you give?

Burning books is always, always, always a bad road.
It was just the next step in the suppression of free speech on college campuses. We already have art defacing, quiet zones, so book burning follows in line.

It was just the next step in the suppression of free speech on college campuses. We already have art defacing, quiet zones, so book burning follows in line.

Some of the behavior is definitely of a piece with that which has been happening on many campuses for years now.

But's always, always, always a bad road.

They assume that diversity means that all people who are different from them act like them.

You may have a point here. My concept of diversity is that we can have the same values despite having different genetics. However, if diversity includes the concept that we are to have different values based on our genetics, then this would put us as odds with a cohesive society.

For example, if it's understood that whites want people to carry their own weight, and blacks want others to carry it for them, this would represent a genetically-based supposition of values, which I disagree with.

On a smaller scale, it's as if Italian Americans want to put their kids in daycare, and Irish Americans don't. If this was the case, there would be a lot of strife in my household as a core value would be in contention. I'd likely not marry an Italian if such a dynamic existed, or if such a dynamic was put forth in the press and I perceived that it existed: I'd think less of Italian Americans.

Some of the behavior is definitely of a piece with that which has been happening on many campuses for years now. But's always, always, always a bad road.
Symbolically, it is a major escalation. We are teaching hate as a political ideology.

Symbolically, it is a major escalation. We are teaching hate as a political ideology.

Burning books is an escalation. Harassing invited speakers has been going on for years.

Back
Top Bottom