• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Book burning

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Usually I reserve race-based articles from CNN to Rickeroo's thread, so indulge me for a moment here.

Georgia college students burned the books of a Latina author - CNN

The book burned was from a Latina author who promoted the concept of white privilege at a talk on campus. One of the students remarked:

"What makes you believe that it's okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we're taught. I don't understand what the purpose of this was"

The student is misinformed. They assume that diversity means a whole bunch of races living in harmony. But in practice diversity means whites must get their comeuppance and feel shame - it's synonymous with white privilege. The burning is merely a result of the confusion over the meaning of the term.

Regardless of the confusion over terms or definitions, I'll wager that both the book burners, along with the students that support the concept of white privilege, won't be donating a portion of their higher salary (acquired through white privilege) to persons of color.

As long as it’s not agents of the government burning the book, it’s an act of free speech to burn books.

Usually I reserve race-based articles from CNN to Rickeroo's thread, so indulge me for a moment here.

The book burned was from a Latina author who promoted the concept of white privilege at a talk on campus. One of the students remarked:

"What makes you believe that it's okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we're taught. I don't understand what the purpose of this was"

The student is misinformed. They assume that diversity means a whole bunch of races living in harmony. But in practice diversity means whites must get their comeuppance and feel shame - it's synonymous with white privilege. The burning is merely a result of the confusion over the meaning of the term.

Regardless of the confusion over terms or definitions, I'll wager that both the book burners, along with the students that support the concept of white privilege, won't be donating a portion of their higher salary (acquired through white privilege) to persons of color.
I found the students quote ironic when you consider it was said as a justification for shutting down unpopular speech.

Somewhere along the lines colleges have away from diversity of thought. Im not even sure they can rightly claim they are for diversity of skin color or race because they only show interest in it for select groups. Asians Americans certainly dont get the attention or assistance that other groups recieve.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As long as it’s not agents of the government burning the book, it’s an act of free speech to burn books.
I agree with you on the point that its not a crime. Do you feel its appropiate for the gov to give funding to a business that practices discrimination based on politics?

Last edited:
I agree with you on the point thst its not a crime. Do you feel its appropiate for the gov to give funding to a business that practices discrimination based on politics?

Depends on the politics.

The bigger problem was her response along the lines of that you can even ask me that question is because of your white privilege. She didn't take the time to even articulate an answer that anybody not in her mindframe, which the student clearly was not, can understand or relate to.

Book burning in Nazi Germany was began as 'voluntary'. State sanctioned censorship came later. Surely, the voluntary book burning, which is a curious act of freedom, to be sure, helped pave the way for accepting government censorship. With a leader like Trump who has already advocated for the restriction of free speech, one might call it "obeying in advance."

Book burning in Nazi Germany was began as 'voluntary'. State sanctioned censorship came later. Surely, the voluntary book burning, which is a curious act of freedom, to be sure, helped pave the way for accepting government censorship. With a leader like Trump who has already advocated for the restriction of free speech, one might call it "obeying in advance."
Is this much different than angry right wingers burning kapernick Jerseys?

Imo both are poor ways to express ones disagreement with something.

The bigger problem was her response along the lines of that you can even ask me that question is because of your white privilege. She didn't take the time to even articulate an answer that anybody not in her mindframe, which the student clearly was not, can understand or relate to.

It gets tiring to continually explain what white privilege is. Seriously, does anyone still believe that being white doesn't make life easier?

I found the students quote ironic when you consider it was said as a justification for shutting down unpopular speech.

Somewhere along the lines colleges have away from diversity of thought. Im not even sure they can rightly claim they are for diversity of skin color or race because they only show interest in it for select groups. Asians Americans certainly dont get the attention or assistance that other groups recieve.

Indeed- this is because 'diversity' in today's context means 'give the underprivileged a boost'. Asians aren't really included because they have superior social statistics to whites.

It gets tiring to continually explain what white privilege is. Seriously, does anyone still believe that being white doesn't make life easier?
I dont care if its true or not. Its not criminal to have a preference. The fact that people are trying to make it a crime is a problem.

I dont care if its true or not. Its not criminal to have a preference. The fact that people are trying to make it a crime is a problem.

Trying to make what a crime? Being white, or having privilege? How so?

Does that mean you oppose banning books from libraries because they considered to be politically incorrect?

Being very good looking makes life easier for anyone of any race, but I don't hear people like you complaining about that.

Being very good looking makes life easier for anyone of any race, but I don't hear people like you complaining about that.

Lighter skin is generally perceived worldwide as being more attractive than dark skin, so white people are also privileged in terms of appearance.

Trying to make what a crime? Being white, or having privilege? How so?
What your calling privilege amounts to personal preference.

Some women only date black men, is that black privilege, i guess it is but thats not to say the government should force them to date other men too

Hooters only hires young attractive females as waitresses. I guess thats privilege too but again its not the governments place to force them to hire old, homely, men in the name of diversity.

Many rape shelters are women only.
The nfl only hires the best atheletes
Etc etc et

Blondes have more fun

I think a fundamental difference between the left and the right is how we define whats fair. Open competion is fair, picking winners and losers based on quotas is not.

Not exactly. From the very beginning, highly organized book burning by a student's union was under the scripted guidance by Nazi officials, with the first major book burning having Goebbels give a speech to 40,000 students in Berlin. You could just as easily say that government censorship was accepted voluntarily, because it was.

Lighter skin is generally perceived worldwide as being more attractive than dark skin, so white people are also privileged in terms of appearance.

There are many, many innate characteristics that make life easier for people, yet no one refers to these traits as "privileges".

The only time we hear that word is from self-loathing leftists as a way to denigrate white people.

The next generation of Trumpsters. :2no4:
“GSU freshman Chloe Johnsen told CNN students started shouting and yelling in favor of and against the student's comment, with some yelling "Trump 2020" and others saying the author was right.”

What your calling privilege amounts to personal preference.

Some women only date black men, is that black privilege, i guess it is but thats not to say the government should force them to date other men too

Hooters only hires young attractive females as waitresses. I guess thats privilege too but again its not the governments place to force them to hire old, homely, men in the name of diversity.

Many rape shelters are women only.
The nfl only hires the best atheletes
Etc etc et

Blondes have more fun

I think a fundamental difference between the left and the right is how we define whats fair. Open competion is fair, picking winners and losers based on quotas is not.

Yeah women are so privileged because they get rape shelters. Sign me up! Lmao. If you think that being sexualized and dehumanized to the point of becoming nothing more than an object of desire means you have privilege, then I don't know what to tell ya.

There are many, many innate characteristics that make life easier for people, yet no one refers to these traits as "privileges".

The only time we hear that word is from self-loathing leftists as a way to denigrate white people.

I'm not denigrating white people, I'm white myself. White people are great. I mean, most of the time, sometimes we're not. We are privileged though.

Yeah women are so privileged because they get rape shelters. Sign me up! Lmao. If you think that being sexualized and dehumanized to the point of becoming nothing more than an object of desire means you have privilege, then I don't know what to tell ya.
You realize men are raped too and of course you are avoiding the larger context of my post by narrowing in on that one example. All people have preferences and privileges in one form or another. White privilege is so ambigious of a term that its meaningless.

It gets tiring to explain that just because someone does well does not mean it is a privilege. Seriously, does anyone still believe that gang bangers are victims because they aren't white?

Stop making excuses for failure. It is racist.

I'm not denigrating white people, I'm white myself. White people are great. I mean, most of the time, sometimes we're not. We are privileged though.

Why do you focus on skin color and never refer to other physical and non-physical traits that make life easier as forms of 'privilege'?

Back
Top Bottom