• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bodies not even cold, and Feinstein politicking already...

1. yeah that constitution thing is problematic

2. I'd love to have a gun license like a driver's license

I could carry in any state in the USA and it would be valid in canada, mexico, england etc

I could buy cars faster than anything the police own or use

I could buy cars any place in the USA

you gun restrictionists don't really think these analogies through do you

3. BTW you don't need a license to buy a car, drive a car on private property or own a car

and you don't lose your license with a felony or even a DUI and if you are a felon you can still own a car

1. Always--except when the government really wants something. THen they just ignore it.

2. So far so good

3. THat part would need modification

1.The mother in Newtown was murdered. Why are demonizing victims?

2. No, you have it completely assbackwards. More laws will mean MORE guns on the streets being sold illegally.

1. Because she was the epitome of an irresponsible gun owner. And, that is what got her and 30 little kids killed.

2, wrong. If Average joe can no longer buy, sell and trade guns as easily as baseball cards, fewer guns would be floating around on the street and those would cost much more.

The first two in that example were under some form of direct observation, as was the third. Laughner was considered a threat by the local SO but they could only do so much, Holmes was considered to be a threat by many who knew him, and I have no idea how the D.C. Naval yard shooter got out of the incidents he had prior.

All should have been on a no gun list...if a real one of those actually existed.

1. Because she was the epitome of an irresponsible gun owner. And, that is what got her and 30 little kids killed.

2, wrong

I don't doubt that kid could have gotten a gun somewhere else, or just used another weapon. When someone is intent on killing people, there isn't much that can stop them.

Not wrong, as has been proven with alcohol and drugs.

I'm not looking to answer that question. But, I can see where we need to be more diligent in recognizing the mentally imbalanced and then, much like we do with sexual predators, put those people on a 'crazy list" which then bans them from being in possession of guns.

What we do with sexual predators to get them on "the list" is called due process of law - charge them with a crime and get a conviction in court. Somehow I doubt that you will get simply being "crazy" turned into a crime, much less a felony. To get on "the list" should require conviction of a violent felony, not merely having odd thoughts or even committing non-violent crimes.

BTW, the entire nation is banned from possessing most recreational drugs yet that seems to lack diligence in enforcement, mainly because we view possession alone as a minor infraction. So long as those on "the list" are not allowed to vote then I would tend to give that plan more credibility; the idea that those on "the list" may vote to restrict the rights of those not on "the list" and even maintain mere privileges (e.g. driving) makes little sense at all.

All should have been on a no gun list...if a real one of those actually existed.
You couldn't put Laughner or Holmes on a no gun list, they should have been involuntarily committed but it's almost impossible to do, the Navy Yard shooter escaped a dishonorable and major felonies, all of which would have prohibited legal buys from him.

It doesn't get any more real than the NICS, according to the GCA of 1968 anyone with a felony sentenced of over one yearvoluntary commission to a mental facility, or dishonorable discharge from the military is prohibited from possessing a firearm. Later with Brady the law would be expanded to those under proceedings for the above and those convicted of domestic violence.

I agree that the people you've mentioned should have been on the NICS, for these reasons;
1) Laughner, Holmes, and Lanza previously committed no crimes that would qualify for a "no buy" but were known to be dangerously sociopathic. They SHOULD have been court ordered into a facility which would have put them into the NICS.
2) The Naval yard shooter had a discharge that should have qualified as dishonorable but wasn't for whatever reason. He was arrested for shooting up a person's car while they were in it and for some reason the court allowed for a plea of temporary insanity with the "I blacked out" defense. Given his prior history he should have been at least court ordered into a facility. He was a triple "no buy" candidate that never was processed.
The big problem is, we let these types slip through the cracks, so no matter what we allow to be added to firearms law, as long as these things happen it will be ineffective.

It's only relevant if you believe for everyone, that general discharge would then remove someone's 2nd amendment rights.
Do you?

general discharge i dont think removes second amendment right,unless a state specifically chooses to deny for it,but it does almost as badly for things like employment,other background checks,unemployment compensation etc.

there is also general and general under honerable conditions.a general under honerable conditions is someone who doesnt recieve an honerable discharge,but didnt perform any acts deemed dishonerable or less than honerable.general under honerable conditions is seen similiar to honerable discharge,while general and less than honerable are viewed bad.and the military doesnt hardly use dishonerable anymore,most cases that used to qualify as dishonerable are now considered less than honerable.

You couldn't put Laughner or Holmes on a no gun list, they should have been involuntarily committed but it's almost impossible to do, the Navy Yard shooter escaped a dishonorable and major felonies, all of which would have prohibited legal buys from him.

Insurance companies don't want to pay either. They want the crazies to be stabilized on their meds and then discharged.

Insurance companies don't want to pay either. They want the crazies to be stabilized on their meds and then discharged.
Well, to be honest someone with a violent disposition and insane should be in an institution, and with the wasteful programs the Federal and states engage in they can find money for it, it does not need to fall on private companies with a court order.

Well, to be honest someone with a violent disposition and insane should be in an institution, and with the wasteful programs the Federal and states engage in they can find money for it, it does not need to fall on private companies with a court order.

What wasteful programs are you referring to? All of them? ;)

What wasteful programs are you referring to? All of them? ;)
Nah, I'm not even completely opposed to some social assistance, but they waste so much money through just having no standards and accountability. For a problem like mental health those dollars could come in handy, considering how little of the population actually is that dangerously insane. Some things like studying the mating habits of x or anything that could be handled through a college curriculum should go immediately. As well, the bureaucracies should be stripped to their barest of existence or completely shut down.

Nah, I'm not even completely opposed to some social assistance, but they waste so much money through just having no standards and accountability. For a problem like mental health those dollars could come in handy, considering how little of the population actually is that dangerously insane. Some things like studying the mating habits of x or anything that could be handled through a college curriculum should go immediately. As well, the bureaucracies should be stripped to their barest of existence or completely shut down.

Oh I totally agree. There's a site online that lists all of the wasteful projects our government funds, probably at the behest of the lobbyists no doubt. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom