• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Billo Slavesplaining

Scars are still there why? Bury the slave thing? It is history. Past people did what they did.
It is a fact. What is also a fact is that we have overcome. Most like to deny that, but rather dwell on it to further their agenda, self serving, to gain political advantage.
We must expect more from each other, not less.
Poor dear descendant of a slave woman MO, she is allowed to make her remarks and we all must agree. Some silly white Irish dude (mind you, they rolled the red carpet when them Irish came over), is just dumb. How dare he disagree with what the black woman is saying?
Oh the hypocrisy.

It's not that he disagrees. It's just bizarre that when he hears someone mention the slavery of a group of people, the first thing that pops in to his head is "hey, they got food! They were treated pretty good!" If someone is mischaracterizing the conditions of slaves, then by all means correct them. But I don't know why he felt it important to try to bring that up when someone just merely mentions that slavery existed.

Both sides disgust me.

Obama for her obvious emotional pandering to blacks.

Her detractors for their obvious insensitivity.

Pandering works.....and insensitivity has been working lately as well.

Also disgusting.

You seem offended by the fact that slaves were used to help build the White House. Sadly, there is nothing you can do about it.

Yes yes, and don't forget how the Irish were treated, the Chinese were treated, the Italians were treated etc etc etc. Funny how you don't hear much about those things now a days. All that you ever hear now a days is about how whitey has held the black man down and how racist whites are. So much so that the word "racist" is used against every white person out there all while pretending that racism can only happen if one is in power. Totally ignoring the action definition of "racist".

Were they breeding Irish, Chinese, Italian, etc etc etc babies and selling them to the highest bidder? Didn't think so.

There is no way we can compare the immigrant experience to that of the slave. No way at all.

I take it you're not a descendant of American slaves?

Although I concur that reminding people that they are descendants of slaves is a bit like reminding someone they were screwed in a business deal ten years ago, it's still germane to the conversation about race.
Neither was Obama. And in an ironic spin, Michelle is the decendent of both a slave AND a slaveowner. Who knew...right?

Its a shame more people cant 'overcome' their horrific slave history as well as Michelle Shields did.

That was her exact point.

Her entire speech was about how far we've come and how great we are because of it. Your irrational hatred isn't letting you think clearly if you heard her speech and thought it was divisive.

My irrational hatred? For assuming that we are one America and not a black or white America? Because I feel offended by the color definition? The row of blacks, instead of the row of Americans? Why, because you assume to know the color of my skin? I can't disagree when MO moans about slavery, again and again?
Perhaps we should take the entire DNC convention into perspective, from bringing about the mothers of which dead sons?
Look beneath the facade. Look deeper. The DNC convention is about drawing a line in the sand. And MO is one of those drawing the line. Hillary is the other. For what? Power?
Stop the division, the moaning, playing people against each other.

It's not that he disagrees. It's just bizarre that when he hears someone mention the slavery of a group of people, the first thing that pops in to his head is "hey, they got food! They were treated pretty good!" If someone is mischaracterizing the conditions of slaves, then by all means correct them. But I don't know why he felt it important to try to bring that up when someone just merely mentions that slavery existed.

Don't confuse me with someone who supports this clown. But if we are to criticize, lets not be hypocritical. That is my beef.

What I stated had nothing to do with Mrs. Obama. It had everything to do with the silliness of Calamity's post.

Then you should apologize to him. Your post was ridiculous. You hear him mention slavery and black people and that some white people don't want to think about it and then you just blow up into an irrational and overly emotional tirade about whitey keepin down the blacks.

This entire thread is a perfect example of our current state of dialogue regarding race.

1: "slavery is a terrible thing that happened in our past but we've since made such large strides that shows how great of a country we are"
2: "Well, I mean we did give them food. And clothes."
1: "Yea, ok, but that doesn't make slavery ok, you understand that right? Understanding history just helps us understand how far we've come and to learn form mistakes"
2: "What about the chinese? we mistreated them but your only talking about how whitey is holding down the blacks!"
1: "WTF?"
2: "Quit being so divisive!"

Don't confuse me with someone who supports this clown. But if we are to criticize, lets not be hypocritical. That is my beef.

If we are to criticize, you should listen to the speech so that your comments on the speech aren't so ignorant.

If we are to criticize, you should listen to the speech so that your comments on the speech aren't so ignorant.

Ok you assume I didn't listen to the speech and that I am ignorant. Thanks. Great comeback.

My irrational hatred? For assuming that we are one America and not a black or white America? Because I feel offended by the color definition? The row of blacks, instead of the row of Americans? Why, because you assume to know the color of my skin? I can't disagree when MO moans about slavery, again and again?
Perhaps we should take the entire DNC convention into perspective, from bringing about the mothers of which dead sons?
Look beneath the facade. Look deeper. The DNC convention is about drawing a line in the sand. And MO is one of those drawing the line. Hillary is the other. For what? Power?
Stop the division, the moaning, playing people against each other.

Thats it, all over again. She brings up slavery just to show how far we've come and how great we are, EXACTLY LIKE YOU REQUESTED, and then you move the goal posts so you can complain about what you think she meant.

Irrational hatred.

Ok you assume I didn't listen to the speech and that I am ignorant. Thanks. Great comeback.

If you listened to her speech and though it was divisive and that she just used slavery as a wedge, then you didn't listen closely enough. It's reasonable to assume that someone didn't listen to a speech when everything they say about it is 100% wrong.

Then you should apologize to him. Your post was ridiculous. You hear him mention slavery and black people and that some white people don't want to think about it and then you just blow up into an irrational and overly emotional tirade about whitey keepin down the blacks.

This entire thread is a perfect example of our current state of dialogue regarding race.

1: "slavery is a terrible thing that happened in our past but we've since made such large strides that shows how great of a country we are"
2: "Well, I mean we did give them food. And clothes."
1: "Yea, ok, but that doesn't make slavery ok, you understand that right? Understanding history just helps us understand how far we've come and to learn form mistakes"
2: "What about the chinese? we mistreated them but your only talking about how whitey is holding down the blacks!"
1: "WTF?"
2: "Quit being so divisive!"

Of course my post was ridiculous. It was meant to be just as ridiculous as his. Because the whole situation is ridiculous.

Were they breeding Irish, Chinese, Italian, etc etc etc babies and selling them to the highest bidder? Didn't think so.

There is no way we can compare the immigrant experience to that of the slave. No way at all.

Oh please. :roll: You never experienced either so don't pretend to think that one is worse than another. Because you have NO frame of reference to go by.

That was her exact point.

Her entire speech was about how far we've come and how great we are because of it. Your irrational hatred isn't letting you think clearly if you heard her speech and thought it was divisive.

This is the same woman, is she not, who claimed she was proud of her country, FOR THE FIRST TIME, when her husband was elected President? Guess President Obama's almost 8 years have made all the difference in the world in making America a great country Michelle can be proud of.

Pretty easy to spew speech written platitudes from a teleprompter on prime time TV. But if you think that dismisses or alleviates the divisiveness of her and her husband's time in the White House, you're easily fooled.

I admire your introspection.

Neither was Obama. And in an ironic spin, Michelle is the decendent of both a slave AND a slaveowner. Who knew...right?

Its a shame more people cant 'overcome' their horrific slave history as well as Michelle Shields did.

I don't know. I'm white. So, I can't relate to the black experience in America.

This is the same woman, is she not, who claimed she was proud of her country, FOR THE FIRST TIME, when her husband was elected President? Guess President Obama's almost 8 years have made all the difference in the world in making America a great country Michelle can be proud of.

Pretty easy to spew speech written platitudes from a teleprompter on prime time TV. But if you think that dismisses or alleviates the divisiveness of her and her husband's time in the White House, you're easily fooled.

Hmm, pretty sure we are talking about her current speech, correct? Where did I say she never said that? Do you understand the way a discussion works?

Oh please. :roll: You never experienced either so don't pretend to think that one is worse than another. Because you have NO frame of reference to go by.

You're actually trying to equate a voluntary immigrant to a captive slave, probably born in captivity and treated like property his/her entire life, with no hope of getting out of it short of death. Really?

I am still trying to wrap my head around the need to say that slaves were fed and given shelter to sleep. I mean, seriously. Is that Billo saying, "Hey, we didn't starve them or force them to stay awake for a month straight or anything like that. Why the moaning?"

Hmm, pretty sure we are talking about her current speech, correct? Where did I say she never said that? Do you understand the way a discussion works?

I perfectly understand the way a discussion works. You seem to think that a speech, written by others, and read off a teleprompter for prime time TV consumption reflects the woman's true views and feelings. I say you're naïve and foolish. Her previous, off the cuff comments, about never being proud of her country until her husband was elected President, is far more reflective of who she is and how she feels. But hey, politicians - and make no mistake, she is one - have spent their lives and centuries snowing the gullible such as yourself.

Back
Top Bottom