• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Billo Slavesplaining

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I guess Michelle Obama's mentioning of slaves building the White House has the Right Wing babbermouth is a tizzy. So much so that he decided to brag about slaves being well fed and housed. These people are off the hook.

Bill O'Reilly Scolds Michelle Obama: 'Slaves Had It Good Building The White House' | Crooks and Liars

Bill O'Reilly responded to Michelle Obama's DNC speech and said one of the most disgusting, appalling and flat out racist things ever said on Fox News. Yes, it was that bad.

Here is what he said in tonight's talking points memo:

Warning! Be very careful when reading. Be sure you don't have a mouthful of coffee because it is sure to fly out of your pie-hole and make a big mess of your computer screen.

At the risk of plagiarizing a tweeter....

O'Reily's next historical take will be to 'splain to us that there was free dental care at Auschwitz.

What's almost as funny is the woman occupying the WH, moaning about things that happened long ago. Not to unite us, mind you, but making sure to ram another wedge to further an agenda. Sadly, people applaud this behavior.
We should celebrate how far we have come. But that would mean that we have to admit that this U.S. of A is, after all, a great country, regardless of all the hatred that so many carefully nurse.

What's almost as funny is the woman occupying the WH, moaning about things that happened long ago. Not to unite us, mind you, but making sure to ram another wedge to further an agenda. Sadly, people applaud this behavior.
We should celebrate how far we have come. But that would mean that we have to admit that this U.S. of A is, after all, a great country, regardless of all the hatred that so many carefully nurse.

Had you listened to all her speech, rather than Billo's soundbite, you would realise you are agreeing with her.

I take it you're not a descendant of American slaves?

Although I concur that reminding people that they are descendants of slaves is a bit like reminding someone they were screwed in a business deal ten years ago, it's still germane to the conversation about race.

They used slaves because there was no other way to get labor.

It's hard to mix economics, ethics, and nation building in one tidy package.

I'm not justifying slavery, except to remind people that is was what was done back then. Labor was bought from those who sold it

Had you listened to all her speech, rather than Billo's soundbite, you would realise you are agreeing with her.

Correct. And, what the problem is, from my perspective, is that a lot of white people would rather just bury that whole "slave thing" and pretend it never happened. Well, it did happen. And, the scars are still there, obviously.

I'm not justifying slavery, except to remind people that is was what was done back then. Labor was bought from those who sold it

Slaves were a big part of this country's founding. Without them, it's not likely we would have thrived as we did. We probably should HTFU about it and face it in all it's ugliness and benefits. Too many people want it to be a non-issue; and too many people want it to be the issue. It's neither. It's just a reasonable issue to mention and address in a speech given by the first black first lady. "Hey, that house I live in was built by slaves."

I guess Michelle Obama's mentioning of slaves building the White House has the Right Wing babbermouth is a tizzy. So much so that he decided to brag about slaves being well fed and housed. These people are off the hook.

Bill O'Reilly Scolds Michelle Obama: 'Slaves Had It Good Building The White House' | Crooks and Liars

Warning! Be very careful when reading. Be sure you don't have a mouthful of coffee because it is sure to fly out of your pie-hole and make a big mess of your computer screen.

He's a dumbass.

I take it you're not a descendant of American slaves?

Although I concur that reminding people that they are descendants of slaves is a bit like reminding someone they were screwed in a business deal ten years ago, it's still germane to the conversation about race.

Is MO? Last time I checked, her parents were no were near a plantation. MO is now in the WH. That is how far we have come.
And don't assume to know the first thing about me. You could be very wrong. Assuming that someone must dwell on things that happened a long time ago, because of skin color, is highly suspect.

Correct. And, what the problem is, from my perspective, is that a lot of white people would rather just bury that whole "slave thing" and pretend it never happened. Well, it did happen. And, the scars are still there, obviously.

Yes yes, and don't forget how the Irish were treated, the Chinese were treated, the Italians were treated etc etc etc. Funny how you don't hear much about those things now a days. All that you ever hear now a days is about how whitey has held the black man down and how racist whites are. So much so that the word "racist" is used against every white person out there all while pretending that racism can only happen if one is in power. Totally ignoring the action definition of "racist".

That was her exact point.

Police officers and protestors in Dallas who all
desperately want to keep our children
safe.
(Applause.) People who lined up in Orlando to
donate blood because it could have been their son, their
daughter in that club.
(Applause.) Leaders like Tim Kaine
-- (applause) -- who show our kids what decency and
devotion look like. Leaders like Hillary Clinton, who has
the guts and the grace to keep coming back and putting
those cracks in that highest and hardest glass ceiling
until she finally breaks through, lifting all of us along
with her. (Applause.)

That is the story of this country, the story that has
brought me to this stage tonight, the story of generations
of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of
servitude, the sting of segregation, but who kept on
striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so
that today, I wake up every morning in a house that was
built by slaves -- (applause) -- and I watch my daughters –
- two beautiful, intelligent, black young women –- playing
with their dogs on the White House lawn. (Applause.) And
because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters –- and all our
sons and daughters -– now take for granted that a woman can
be President of the United States. (Applause.)

So don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country
isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great
again. Because this, right now, is the greatest country on earth

Her entire speech was about how far we've come and how great we are because of it. Your irrational hatred isn't letting you think clearly if you heard her speech and thought it was divisive.

He would have to realize Billo is the one "making sure to ram another wedge to further an agenda" first.

Fat chance.

Slaves were a big part of this country's founding. Without them, it's not likely we would have thrived as we did. We probably should HTFU about it and face it in all it's ugliness and benefits. Too many people want it to be a non-issue; and too many people want it to be the issue. It's neither. It's just a reasonable issue to mention and address in a speech given by the first black first lady. "Hey, that house I live in was built by slaves."

The problem is they want to make it a single issue, isolated from from the history of the period.

Yes yes, and don't forget how the Irish were treated, the Chinese were treated, the Italians were treated etc etc etc. Funny how you don't hear much about those things now a days. All that you ever hear now a days is about how whitey has held the black man down and how racist whites are. So much so that the word "racist" is used against every white person out there all while pretending that racism can only happen if one is in power. Totally ignoring the action definition of "racist".

One would have to know the definition of racist before ignoring that definition.

Good luck!

That was her exact point.

Her entire speech was about how far we've come and how great we are because of it. Your irrational hatred isn't letting you think clearly if you heard her speech and thought it was divisive.

I'd be proud if I was her too and there is nothing wrong or divisive with her expressing her opinion about it.

Jesus christ. She gives a speech about how we have corrected our wrongs and how it shows how great our country is and you equate that to "whitey has held the black man down and whites are racist".

This entire discussion is impossible because of this kind of irrationality that is on full display in your post.

Scars are still there why? Bury the slave thing? It is history. Past people did what they did.
It is a fact. What is also a fact is that we have overcome. Most like to deny that, but rather dwell on it to further their agenda, self serving, to gain political advantage.
We must expect more from each other, not less.
Poor dear descendant of a slave woman MO, she is allowed to make her remarks and we all must agree. Some silly white Irish dude (mind you, they rolled the red carpet when them Irish came over), is just dumb. How dare he disagree with what the black woman is saying?
Oh the hypocrisy.

The problem is they want to make it a single issue, isolated from from the history of the period.

What?

It seems you are claiming slaves want to make building the White House a single issue, and while that is quite funny, I don't think you meant it to be which is also quite funny.

Lol, you peaked at my post.

I guess Michelle Obama's mentioning of slaves building the White House has the Right Wing babbermouth is a tizzy. So much so that he decided to brag about slaves being well fed and housed.

Both sides disgust me.

Obama for her obvious emotional pandering to blacks.

Her detractors for their obvious insensitivity.

Pandering works.....and insensitivity has been working lately as well.

Also disgusting.

I think it's a great statement to show that we have come very far. Sure, it's taking a long time but we're getting there. Michelle was born in 1964, in that year nobody would ever have dreamed of a black first lady and she should be damn proud that she is that.

Jesus christ. She gives a speech about how we have corrected our wrongs and how it shows how great our country is and you equate that to "whitey has held the black man down and whites are racist".

This entire discussion is impossible because of this kind of irrationality that is on full display in your post.

What I stated had nothing to do with Mrs. Obama. It had everything to do with the silliness of Calamity's post.

Uh, everything you said here agrees with her speech, which leads me to believe you didn't hear it.

Not true.

Don't sweat it. I don't think you are justifying slavery. It's rather obvious you are simply bludgeoning Michelle with whatever is at hand.

Back
Top Bottom