• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Says MLK didn't have the effect Floyd did

IF I were ever thinking of voting against Trump in Nov., I couldn't after hearing Joe's latest mindless gaffe.

How could anyone in their right mind say such a thing?

And yet Trump's gaffes are perfectly ok with you. :lamo

And yet Trump's gaffes are perfectly ok with you. :lamo

No, they're not, but I guess Biden's lunatic ramblings are okay with you.

Back atcha' …

The dummy has lost his mind and his memory.

It's worse than that Trix. What Biden said cheapened the true sacrifice of blacks in the South seeking freedom and equal rights often with their lives.

MLK wasn't exploited anywhere near the degree Floyd has been.
It says a lot what qualifies as a Leftist hero these days.

Floyd wasn't exploited. He was murdered by a cop. It does not take a "leftist" to be outraged and prompted to act.

MLK had a dream. We fell short. Sadly it took the video of the murder by cop to make some folks understand that their is a systemic issue with the police. I feel bad for the good cops that get caught up in the nightmare caused by the power hungry bigots,

I think I am going to respond with these two videos:

and this response video:

The short take-away?

What happened to Mr. Floyd was wrong and the Officer(s) involved should rightly face their own trials in our Justice system.

However, as pointed out in both videos, for some reason we Blacks seem to raise those who represent the worst elements of our community up to martyrdom simply because a White police officer is the cause of their death.

Martin Luther King was a TRUE martyr. He was involved in a long struggle to help lead our people out of the cesspool of the truly "institutional" racism which existed "once upon a time in America."

Dr. King risked his life, and arguably that of his family, to stand out and speak up. To never surrender to the trials and tribulations of true racism in order to be a guiding light in the Black Community. A light that eventually led to the March on Washington...and subsequently his actual assassination at the hands of a true and cowardly racist.

Mr. Floyd, on the other hand was not. In both videos provided we can hear about such differences between an exemplar like Dr. King and those "targets" (at least according to BLM agitators) whose lives matter. Apparently mattering a lot more than those other Black Americans they have robbed, assaulted, sold drugs to, etc..

Once again, this does not justify the actions of those police officers. But as both videos ask, why are their lives of greater matter than the lives of all the those lost to Black on Black crimes? More important than all the Black on Black deaths which we hear about constantly but get short shrift as not important when compared to the statistically rare incidents of WHITE cops killing a Black American?

Martin Luther King is a martyr.

Mr. Floyd on the other hand is just another tragic, but in all honesty not atypical example resulting from our Community's acceptance/tolerance of bad behaviors by such segments of the community.

Last edited:

and this response video:

The short take-away?

What happened to Mr. Floyd was wrong and the Officer(s) involved should rightly face their own trials in our Justice system.

However, as pointed out in both videos, for some reason we Blacks seem to raise those who represent the worst elements of our community up to martyrdom simply because a White police officer is the cause of their death.

Martin Luther King was a TRUE martyr. He was involved in a long struggle to help lead our people out of the cesspool of the truly "institutional" racism which existed "once upon a time in America."

Dr. King risked his life, and arguably that of his family, to stand out and speak up. To never surrender to the trials and tribulations of true racism in order to be a guiding light in the Black Community. A light that eventually led to the March on Washington...and subsequently his actual assassination at the hands of a true and cowardly racist.

Mr. Floyd, on the other hand was not. In both videos provided we can hear about such differences between an exemplar like Dr. King and those "targets" (at least according to BLM agitators) whose lives matter. Apparently mattering a lot more than those other Black Americans they have robbed, assaulted, sold drugs to, etc..

Once again, this does not justify the actions of those police officers. But as both videos ask, why are their lives of greater matter than the lives of all the those lost to Black on Black crimes? More important than all the Black on Black deaths which we hear about constantly but get short shrift as not important when compared to the statistically rare incidents of WHITE cops killing a Black American?

Mr. Floyd on the other hand is just another tragic, but in all honesty not atypical example resulting from our Community's acceptance/tolerance of bad behaviors by such segments of the community.

meh. candace has an opinion.

Don't see the issue. He's correct. Floyd's murder is more mourned worldwide, and that's entirely due to social media. Doesn't mean his death was more or less important than MLK's.

Were there global protests after the assassination of MLK? Were protests conducted by whites and blacks together? After MLK's assassination, there were riots, yes. They were violent, destructive, angry. There were riots and parades in about 100 US cities for three weeks. These protests over the death of George Floyd have taken on a life of its own around the world. Hundreds of thousands of people from every corner of the world protesting the same things, racism and police brutality. I was a witness in 1968 to the events after the murder of MLK and so was Joe Biden. He is correct, these are far worse because they have a worldwide effect and impact.
Thats not really a fair comparison though. In 1968, news did not spread nearly as fast as it does now. People in all countries were different too. Information can be a double edged sword. It keeps us connected, and educates people, but it also does cause overreaction as well. It can cause great changes, both negative and positive. It adds more information to most discussions, but some of that is false information. I have no doubt Trump is President because of some of the same reasons people in this and other countries are protesting (not all, just contributing reasons).

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

If I were black I would be offended by Biden’s words and pandering.

If I were a woman I’d be offended by Biden’s actions and pandering.

Under Trump, blacks and women enjoyed record low unemployment rates for 3 + years. Unfortunately, a global pandemic and Democrat rioting disrupted that.

Under Trump blacks and woman (like all Americans) have not lost any Constitutional Rights. Furthermore, President Trump is the first US President to actually tackle prison.reform instead of just talking about it like the previous presidents did.

#TRUMP2020

and this response video:

The short take-away?

I believe Martin Luther King would be very sad to hear you decide which black life was more important and which black life was less important.

If I were black I would be offended by Biden’s words and pandering.

If I were a woman I’d be offended by Biden’s actions and pandering.

Under Trump, blacks and women enjoyed record low unemployment rates for 3 + years. Unfortunately, a global pandemic and Democrat rioting disrupted that.

Under Trump blacks and woman (like all Americans) have not lost any Constitutional Rights. Furthermore, President Trump is the first US President to actually tackle prison.reform instead of just talking about it like the previous presidents did.

#TRUMP2020

The reason black people don't vote Republican is because Republicans keep saying **** like this in response to the brazen murder of a black man in broad daylight.

Don't see the issue. He's correct. Floyd's murder is more mourned worldwide, and that's entirely due to social media. Doesn't mean his death was more or less important than MLK's.

Exactly.

This thread is simply Trumpers desperate to pin anything humiliating on Biden. Meanwhile, Trump has said thousands of things far, far worse yet they did not bat an eyelid. In fact they were in here gaslighting at every turn.

Is he wrong though? If he said MLK's legacy then yeah he would be very wrong but the actual assassination and its direct effects were almost exclusively American.

And that's the crux of it all. MLK has had a lasting legacy and influenced the system far more than Floyd ever did. But because of cell phones, and video, and the internet the response to Floyd's death has been international. It reached far more people that MLK's assassination much faster.

Not really, I'm still flabbergasted that someone could equate the two.....both died way too young, both murdered,

That's about the ONLY two things they have in common......to try and equate Flloyd and elevate him to a modern day MLK is so.....insidious....

Not only did you lie in your subject line (look at the title of the link - it does not match what you said), now you're lying again.

Biden is not "equating" Floyd to a modern day MLK. He didn't compare the men at all. He was talking about the assassinations/murders of both men. The events. The reaction of the world and the country to both events.

FFS I can't believe that needed to be explained to you.

And that's the crux of it all. MLK has had a lasting legacy and influenced the system far more than Floyd ever did. But because of cell phones, and video, and the internet the response to Floyd's death has been international. It reached far more people that MLK's assassination much faster.

Floyd was murdered on video by a group of men who were supposed to protect us. MLK was murdered off camera by a racist asshole.

Biden's comment was spot on.

Right wingers keep asking why Floyd is being propped up as some kind of hero when he's a criminal.

Like we're the ones that chose Floyd instead of the Minneapolis Police Department.

Did MLK spark worldwide protests?

No. People back then were more rational, level-headed, and responsible in their reactions

MLK has a national holiday dedicated to him - he fought for years to end practices of segregation - Floyd's death is tragic, but he is not on the same level as MLK

No. People back then were more rational, level-headed, and responsible in their reactions

MLK has a national holiday dedicated to him - he fought for years to end practices of segregation - Floyd's death is tragic, but he is not on the same level as MLK

And? Biden never said he was. You folks should learn English.

Did you comprehend what you read? I don't think so. The comment was about the impact of social media and technology in conveying the news.

For 400 years, American whites have repressed American blacks. With TV cameras in Selma and following Dr. King, the ugliness of that repression was invited into the living rooms of white Americans every where, which facilitated some change. But TV cameras recorded yesterdays and this morning's news to be seen at 6 o'clock, by those that watched.

With the advent of cellphones, videos are now taken, immediately uploaded and spread across the globe to everyone, even those that don't go looking for it. Because of the power of instant news, gathered by citizens, we all see the ugliness of repression real-time. That is why the Floyd message spread faster and to more people than the King message, resulting in an immediate reaction. That is why George Floyd was more impactful than Dr. King. Even though each message was about the repression of black American's, we all could see and react to the ugliness of that repression thanks to real-time media

Last edited:
Fair point, but, I would argue that MLK opened up the world's eyes......without MLK, would there be a Nelson Mandela? etc, you could argue that's his "legacy" but I think your splitting hairs there.....

That is the very definition of legacy.

Back
Top Bottom