• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Says MLK didn't have the effect Floyd did

And? Biden never said he was. You folks should learn English.

?? This is the quote from Biden:

"Even Dr. King’s assassination did not have the worldwide impact that George Floyd’s death did,” Biden said.

He is directly comparing MLK to Floyd - MLK was killed, Floyd was killed

"Worldwide impact" has a positive connotation, it implies that MLK and Floyd were comparable figures

I do not buy for a second that he was simply making a comparison between the rioting now and the rioting after the MLK assassination - it isn't even relevant, MLK was assassinated pre-internet, pre-camera phone, and before riots like this could be so easily coorindinated across the globe

If you're seriously arguing that Biden was simply comparing immediate crowd reaction to the two events, it's a ridiculous point for Biden to make

"Impact" is a strong word. "Impact" lasts for years, decades, longer

Last edited:

"Even Dr. King’s assassination did not have the worldwide impact that George Floyd’s death did,” Biden said.

"Worldwide impact" has a positive connotation, it implies that MLK and Floyd were comparable figures

I do not buy for a second that he was simply making a comparison between the rioting now and the rioting after the MLK assassination - it isn't even relevant, MLK was assassinated pre-internet, pre-camera phone, and before riots like this could be so easily coorindinated across the globe

If you're seriously arguing that Biden was simply comparing immediate crowd reaction to the two events, it's a ridiculous point for Biden to make

It's not a ridiculous comparison. Biden is just pointing out that Floyd had a faster, more global response because this is the age of information. He's not saying Floyd is somehow better than MLK because... this isn't a contest. Floyd and MLK are not competing over something.

MLK was killed during the age of newsprint and some TV, Floyd was killed during a time when much of the world is interconnected via the Internet, satellite radio and TV, and so many other forms of communications that were not available in 1968.

Time to move into the 21st century RS.

MLK was killed during the age of newsprint and some TV, Floyd was killed during a time when much of the world is interconnected via the Internet, satellite radio and TV, and so many other forms of communications that were not available in 1968.

Time to move into the 21st century RS.

???

Correct, the statements you just posted are true...

What point are you trying to make about Biden?

You need to listen to the whole statement. He didn't say what you think he did.

You need to listen to the whole statement. He didn't say what you think he did.

Are you saying Biden was just making a statement about tech in 2020 vs. tech in the 60s?

If that's true, thread title is misleading

???

This was not about Biden, it was about Floyd and MLK. Try to keep up. It's not that mind-boggling.

This was not about Biden, it was about Floyd and MLK. Try to keep up. It's not that mind-boggling.

???

Sorry, who's talking here...???

“Even Dr. King’s assassination did not have the worldwide impact that George Floyd’s death did,” Biden said.

Odd statement to make when your only point is that technology has changed

???

That's what Biden said. How can you argue Biden's statement when you're not familiar with it?

Biden was talking about the ability of modern technology to ignite the nation and world with breathtaking speed. That's what he's talking about, not comparing MLK to George Floyd. Such an idea is ridiculous.

1968 was the era of TV News. 2020 is full blown internet. That's what this is about, not some "gotcha" moment of a Biden gaffe. No gaffe. Everything he said was true.

That's what Biden said. How can you argue Biden's statement when you're not familiar with it?

Biden was talking about the ability of modern technology to ignite the nation and world with breathtaking speed. That's what he's talking about, not comparing MLK to George Floyd. Such an idea is ridiculous.

1968 was the era of TV News. 2020 is full blown internet. That's what this is about, not some "gotcha" moment of a Biden gaffe. No gaffe. Everything he said was true.

Fair enough - if this is all he was discussing, I'm not sure why it even made news

Are you saying Biden was just making a statement about tech in 2020 vs. tech in the 60s?

If that's true, thread title is misleading

I'm saying you need to listen to the statement yourself. Come to your own conclusions. Repeating an out-of-context quote is disingenuous, and completely void of meaning.

I'm saying you need to listen to the statement yourself. Come to your own conclusions. Repeating an out-of-context quote is disingenuous, and completely void of meaning.

His statement is fine - the phrasing is odd, especially talking about "worldwide impact" of MLK's assassination, but it's not like the headline made this out to be

This doesn't seem like a very important story

???

Sorry, who's talking here...???

“Even Dr. King’s assassination did not have the worldwide impact that George Floyd’s death did,” Biden said.

Odd statement to make when your only point is that technology has changed

Exactly the right statement.

Are you still using two cans and a string to communicate with others?

His statement is fine - the phrasing is odd, especially talking about "worldwide impact" of MLK's assassination, but it's not like the headline made this out to be

Correct. But right wingers are trying to turn this into some anti-Biden nonsense anyway.

Dare I ask we compare accomplishments, intent? I don't want to downplay the impact Floyd has on our nation, perhaps world wide, so please don't misunderstand.
However, what did Floyd do prior to his assassination that compares to dear Dr. King?
Dr. King is my hero, always will be. Floyd is a victim of police brutality, a catalyst, nothing more.

Dare I ask we compare accomplishments, intent? I don't want to downplay the impact Floyd has on our nation, perhaps world wide, so please don't misunderstand.
However, what did Floyd do prior to his assassination that compares to dear Dr. King?
Dr. King is my hero, always will be. Floyd is a victim of police brutality, a catalyst, nothing more.

That's not what Biden was doing, so I'm not sure why you're doing it.

The headline is misleading at best.

It's not a story at all. It's pretty much a lie.

Back
Top Bottom