• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden flips the switch on Trump's incandescent light bulb plan

And they are expensive and almost exclusively made in China and since I'm not happy about having to support communists...for me there's that too!
This is hysterical being as the computer or device that you used to type this was likely manufactured in China.

Well I'll be damned.

I'm not an electrician by any stretch. I asked a friend of mine that is an electrician why my lights were fluttering and he told me that I couldn't use LEDs.
You need an led-compatible dimmer switch. They cost 20 bucks a piece. Depending on how often you use your lights and how long you plan to stay in your home, it may be cheaper to just continue using incandescents.

I have switched out all of my bulbs in the house to LED. Some are on a dimmer. They work fine.
Main reason is that the old incandescent bulbs put out more heat. Living in Arizona desert I want to reduce any heat source in the house during the summer. heck, we cook all our meats out on the grill during the summer. Don't want the stove adding heat to the house. By doing so and other things keep your electric bill reasonable.

At this point, there is no real reason to ban incandescent light bulbs. LEDs are affordable and most people are switching over anyway. Incandescent bulbs still have there uses and should be available for those who want them.

At this point, there is no real reason to ban incandescent light bulbs.
The heat that they give off wastes lots of electricity. A 100 watt incandescent uses 80 % more energy that an LED. And that waste increases energy costs and contributes to greenhouse gas emissions.

I like the length of time I can go without replacing the LED bulbs. I am all LED, all the time.
My one complaint would be the amount of times I get flashed when i have my low beams on driving at night, because they think I have the highs on.
The house I bought was full of incandescents. I was like wtf.

I only still need to replace the recessed kitchen lights but may need a new dimmer first.

The house I bought was full of incandescents. I was like wtf.

I only still need to replace the recessed kitchen lights but may need a new dimmer first.
Even all the chandeliers I have are all LED.
I have LOTS of lights in this house, I have a 8 gang plate for the living room and a ton of 4 gangs. I had to have the electrician come out and label them all before he left!

Legitimate President Joe Biden is merely flipping the switch back to where President G. W. Bush had set it back in 2007, if I remember correctly?

You do.

But easy bake ovens won't work with LED bulbs. Those gursh danged dad gummed libruls!

Remember how they all fell for this one!

It’s no surprise that you don’t see the usual suspects on this thread.

They all ranted and raved that LED lightbulbs were an assault on their ”freedom of choice”.

Just because the man in their AM radios told them that the black man did it.

Now, they’re all high fiving one another thinking that the richest man in the world is going to give them “freedom of speech”.

It’s amazing. One wonders what to do with these people.

--

This might appear to be a trivial piece of news, but I highly suspect we all have opinions of the new bulbs and in being forced to use them.

As for me, I initially was reticent to accept them, but have since very much came to appreciate them. My only real complaint, is the new bulbs seemed to have empowered my neighbors in lightening up the entire neighborhood like a Christmas Tree!
I like the newer LED bulbs, and they are a good replacement for incandescent bulbs in most scenarios. But this is largely in reference to bulbs that have come into play in the last 4-5 years. Plus, the prices have come down significantly. Technology is finally catching up.

Early LED bulbs were not as good as the current ones. Not as bright, as natural color, and the certainly didn't last as long as they were supposed to. The florescent bulbs were horrible. 3-4 years ago, we needed a delay.

I still believe the market would largely take care of this, without the government's intervention. There are also some applications (like keeping my wife's plants alive during a hard freeze) where incandescent bulbs still have value.

Remember how they all fell for this one!

It’s no surprise that you don’t see the usual suspects on this thread.

They all ranted and raved that LED lightbulbs were an assault on their ”freedom of choice”.

Just because the man in their AM radios told them that the black man did it.

Now, they’re all high fiving one another thinking that the richest man in the world is going to give them “freedom of speech”.

It’s amazing. One wonders what to do with these people.
I remember hearing one of the AM right wingers talking about how he bought a lifetime supply of regular light bulbs. Might have been Beck.

I like the newer LED bulbs, and they are a good replacement for incandescent bulbs in most scenarios. But this is largely in reference to bulbs that have come into play in the last 4-5 years. Plus, the prices have come down significantly. Technology is finally catching up.

Early LED bulbs were not as good as the current ones. Not as bright, as natural color, and the certainly didn't last as long as they were supposed to. The florescent bulbs were horrible. 3-4 years ago, we needed a delay.

I still believe the market would largely take care of this, without the government's intervention. There are also some applications (like keeping my wife's plants alive during a hard freeze) where incandescent bulbs still have value.

That an infrequent use scenario, but yeah I can see that.

Some leave a lightbulb near a water pipe that freezes, too.

And they are expensive and almost exclusively made in China and since I'm not happy about having to support communists...for me there's that too!

Lordy!

So, what do you do for your washer, dryer, and dishwasher?

This might appear to be a trivial piece of news, but I highly suspect we all have opinions of the new bulbs and in being forced to use them.

As for me, I initially was reticent to accept them, but have since very much came to appreciate them. My only real complaint, is the new bulbs seemed to have empowered my neighbors in lightening up the entire neighborhood like a Christmas Tree!
Needless to say, when our federal government is telling us what light bulbs we can use, it has gone way beyond it's Constitutional authority. And certainly has long exceeded the intent when the States created it.

I have switched out all of my bulbs in the house to LED. Some are on a dimmer. They work fine.
Main reason is that the old incandescent bulbs put out more heat. Living in Arizona desert I want to reduce any heat source in the house during the summer. heck, we cook all our meats out on the grill during the summer. Don't want the stove adding heat to the house. By doing so and other things keep your electric bill reasonable.

Less heat; less power draw; longer lasting; more rugged; cheaper cost amortized over the device life-time.

What's not to like?

At this point, there is no real reason to ban incandescent light bulbs. LEDs are affordable and most people are switching over anyway. Incandescent bulbs still have there uses and should be available for those who want them.

At this point, I might agree.

Heating wires to create light is for Neanderthals and the Neanderthals like it. It reminds them of the early cave days and torch light.

"Ahh, heat light! Heat light gooood!"

They only have half a brain.

Needless to say, when our federal government is telling us what light bulbs we can use, it has gone way beyond it's Constitutional authority. And certainly has long exceeded the intent when the States created it.

That might depend upon whether the government has a compelling strategic interest.

I assume it's Constitutional, as the courts have not over-ruled it, so I disagree with your statement that it's un-Constitutional.

And 8 track tapes.

I remember hearing one of the AM right wingers talking about how he bought a lifetime supply of regular light bulbs. Might have been Beck.

Oh, I’m sure thousands out there in limbaughlooneyland ran right to Wal Mart and stocked up. They’re next to the ammo and tin cans.

Such a bizarre thing to become a conservative lightning rod issue. Glad that they're reverting this.
If something changes, you'll find at least one conservative opposing it.

Back
Top Bottom