• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden flips the switch on Trump's incandescent light bulb plan

Well I'll be damned.

I'm not an electrician by any stretch. I asked a friend of mine that is an electrician why my lights were fluttering and he told me that I couldn't use LEDs.

That might be true, not all dimmer switches are LED compatible.

Some old school dimmer switches actually alter the amount of electricity that flows to the light, affecting its apparent light output, in order to raise or lower it. While this method works, it can shorten the length of a light bulb or cause other problems. Some modern dimmer switches switch on and off very quickly, which has the apparent effect of reducing or increasing the brightness of a light bulb.

However, many LED lights use their own form of dimming and dimmer switches to produce the same basic effect to increase or diminish their light output. LED lights, like other forms of lighting, can be dimmed in a variety of ways, although there are two processes that account for the management of most dimmable LED lights, which are pulse width modulation, or PWM, and analog dimming.

Many replacement, LED compatible, dimmer switches are available.

Last edited:
EbJDgQ4VAAAWlmM

Its not the lighting. :rolleyes:

It just shows how pathetic they are. The new bulbs save energy. They whine about gas and energy prices. Well, this helps. So glad I got solar panels. My electric bill is just the connection fee of $8, so my payment on the loan is less than my average bill would be, plus, it will remain fixed as energy costs continually go up
Plus, I have a lot of plants in my house and use the LED lights since I don't get good sun. So that saves electrical not having to use traditional bulbs

Our home has high ceilings and a lot of light fixtures. I love LED bulbs…only have to change them once every few years instead of what seemed like a weekly chore using the old bulbs.

Now that I got used to nearly never having to change my light bulbs anymore, I'm sold on these puppies! They're a great relief outdoors.

And I'd be lying if I tell you I didn't become enamored with the selection of colour temps and mood lighting!

--

This might appear to be a trivial piece of news, but I highly suspect we all have opinions of the new bulbs and in being forced to use them.

As for me, I initially was reticent to accept them, but have since very much came to appreciate them. My only real complaint, is the new bulbs seemed to have empowered my neighbors in lightening up the entire neighborhood like a Christmas Tree!
LED bulbs are friendly to homeowners but for power companies and producers they create problems in the form of bad power factors.

^^^

Whenever the left imposes a new dictatorial decree their standard response is “ this is a stupid thing to fight over, after all we have already decided for you so why argue with us?“
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You forget our history.

This inefficient incandescent bulb issue started with a President G.W. Bush decree, as it were.

So there is that.

^^^

Whenever the left imposes a new dictatorial decree their standard response is “ this is a stupid thing to fight over, after all we have already decided for you so why argue with us?“
LOL, dictatorial decree, like banning abortion, banning homosexuals, transgenders, banning books, banning teaching facts to kids. What moronic, projecting, trolling bullshit

Word to the wise, if one has any doubt or questions, always seek professional advice when changing your electrical devices or outlets or sockets etc..

Same goes for your plumbing.

^^^

Which is why the right wants to fight over things like 'separate but equal' still 75 years later.

Nothing is settled.

LED bulbs are friendly to homeowners but for power companies and producers they create problems in the form of bad power factors.

Interesting.

I never considered that.

Of course they present less load so, I suppose there's that.

Which is why the right wants to fight over things like 'separate but equal' still 75 years later.

Nothing is settled.
No one in 2022 is advocating for a return to Jim Crow. This is pure absurdity

^^^

Then please make a case for incandescent light bulbs that doesn’t rely on some form of nostalgia

Then please make a case for incandescent light bulbs that doesn’t rely on some form of nostalgia
^^^ see this is the next leftist argument

“If you can’t provide a reason acceptable to me why you should be allowed to buy something it should be banned because I say so”

“If you can’t provide a reason acceptable to me why you should be allowed to buy something it should be banned because I say so”
So your just gonna go with meta comments then. Got it.

Interesting.

I never considered that.

Of course they present less load so, I suppose there's that.
Yes, less load for homeowners as typically they are charged by the kwh (kilowatt hour) but since LEDs have a bad power factor they create Vars (volt amps reactive) which is directly proportional to an increase in va (volt amps).

Essentially the difference bt kwh and va ends up being picked by power companies. This is relatively small per bulb but can be a nuisance for power companies with large numbers of LED bulbs.

Anyhow, not trying to beat this to death but figured I would elaborate.

Yes, less load for homeowners as typically they are charged by the kwh (kilowatt hour) but since LEDs have a bad power factor they create Vars (volt amps reactive) which is directly proportional to an increase in va (volt amps).

Essentially the difference bt kwh and va ends up being picked by power companies. This is relatively small per bulb but can be a nuisance for power companies with large numbers of LED bulbs.

Anyhow, not trying to beat this to death but figured I would elaborate.

Not at all.

I assumed you were speaking to the bulbs' exhibiting erratic or non-linear reactance, so thanks for clarifying.

No.

Because REPUBLICAN President George W. Bush said so!

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
December 19, 2007
President Bush Signs H.R. 6, the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007
U.S. Department of Energy
Washington, D.C.

10:25 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, all. Mr. Secretary, thank you for that introduction. We're all pleased to be here at the Department of Energy. I particularly want to thank the employees here for their daily efforts to help our country meet its energy needs. Thanks for your hard work. Sam, thank you for your leadership.

... The legislation I'm about to sign should say to the American people that we can find common ground on critical issues. And there's more we can accomplish together. New technologies will bring about a new era of energy. So I appreciate the fact that Congress, in the omnibus spending bill that I'm going to sign later on, recognizes that new technologies will help usher in a better quality of life for our citizens. And so we're going to spend money on new research for alternative feedstocks for ethanol. I mean, we understand the hog growers are getting nervous because the price of corn is up. But we also believe strongly that research will enable us to use wood chips and switchgrass and biomass to be able to develop the ethanol necessary to help us realize the vision outlined in this bill.

I appreciate very much the fact that we're going to fund additional research on new battery technologies to power plug-in hybrids. We're spending money on innovative ways to capture solar power. We're making -- providing incentives for nuclear energy. If we're serious about making sure we grow our economy and deal with greenhouse gases, we have got to expand nuclear power. (Applause.)

It is going to take time to transition to this new era. And we're still going to need hydrocarbons. And I hope the Congress will continue to open access to domestic energy sources -- certain parts of the outer continental shelf in ANWR. And to protect us against disruptions in our oil supply, I ask Congress to double the current capacity of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

With these steps, particularly in the bill I'm about to sign, we're going to help American consumers a lot. We'll help them by diversifying our supplies, which will help lower energy prices. We'll strengthen our security by helping to break our dependence on foreign oil. We'll do our duty to future generations by addressing climate change.

And so I thank the members of Congress. I appreciate the fact that we've worked together, that we can show what's possible in addressing the big issues facing our nation. This is a good bill and I'm pleased to sign it.

(The bill was signed.) (Applause.)
END 10:35 A.M. EST

My problem with them is that they don't work on a dimmer switch.
And they are expensive and almost exclusively made in China and since I'm not happy about having to support communists...for me there's that too!

--

This might appear to be a trivial piece of news, but I highly suspect we all have opinions of the new bulbs and in being forced to use them.

As for me, I initially was reticent to accept them, but have since very much came to appreciate them. My only real complaint, is the new bulbs seemed to have empowered my neighbors in lightening up the entire neighborhood like a Christmas Tree!
I like the length of time I can go without replacing the LED bulbs. I am all LED, all the time.
My one complaint would be the amount of times I get flashed when i have my low beams on driving at night, because they think I have the highs on.

Back
Top Bottom