• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Rock Band

Cream was one of the first 5 concerts I attended. Fourth or fifth, IIRC. Jethro Tull, Iron Butterfly, and Steppenwolf were the first 3 in that order. Even at that very young age, I could tell Clapton was in a league of his own. His body of work has certainly proven my early observation to be factual.
I think Tull might be the most underrated band ever. Them not being in the rock hall of fame is a travesty given longevity, sales, concert attendance and influence. As one writer noted, Aqualung was as good as LZ IV. and I saw JT and LZ about a month apart in the same venue (the infamous "I'd walk on you to see the Who" two years later was at this arena), I'd say they were pretty even. Martin Barre was really really good as was IA

John Bonham was a fricking beast, and that band had to have a fricking beast beating those drums with the tunes they put forth. Unfortunately, he partied harder than he played, which I would have thought was impossible.
I watched him almost the entire concert when they played the second-and their last night-ever in Cincinnati. The power that guy generated without a big swing was awesome. During Kashmir, the lighting guys shot a blue laser on a crystal top hat and every time Bonham hit it the laser beam "fractured" and bounced all over the place. He had a tray of acrylic drum sticks that he would bounce off one of the drums into the crowd and without missing a beat, pick another one up and kept drumming. Sadly I wasn't close enough to get one

What LZ had over many other bands was not only the music Page and Jones wrote but the top of the drawer skill exhibited by each member. You really cannot find another rock band that had that level of skill at each position save a couple. I know-Cream was up there and Jack Bruce might well have been the best hard rock bassist ever-and not only could the guy flat out play, he was one of the greatest rock singers ever and wrote some great music.
They were a pretty good band when you overlook the plagiarism. ;) J/K....I think that's a bad rap. There isn't a rock band that didn't lift something from somewhere.

They were a pretty good band when you overlook the plagiarism. ;) J/K....I think that's a bad rap. There isn't a rock band that didn't lift something from somewhere.
The Eagles get accused of ripping off Jethro Tull for Hotel California.

I think Tull might be the most underrated band ever. Them not being in the rock hall of fame is a travesty given longevity, sales, concert attendance and influence. As one writer noted, Aqualung was as good as LZ IV. and I saw JT and LZ about a month apart in the same venue (the infamous "I'd walk on you to see the Who" two years later was at this arena), I'd say they were pretty even. Martin Barre was really really good as was IA
Yeah, I don't get that not being in the Hall of Fame thing at all, either. Locomotive Breath, imo , was equally as powerful as Aqualung. And without a doubt, in those early days, ( I'm talking 1965 when I was 12 ), Ian Anderson, was by far, the best front man, bar none. That wild -eyed dude must have put 25 miles on that stage running back and forth that night.

Cream was one of the first 5 concerts I attended. Fourth or fifth, IIRC. Jethro Tull, Iron Butterfly, and Steppenwolf were the first 3 in that order. Even at that very young age, I could tell Clapton was in a league of his own. His body of work has certainly proven my early observation to be factual.
The Cream and Tull were one of my first concerts too. Also liked the Doors and Vanilla Fudge way back in the day. There's a lot of groups I really like, too many to name.

Yeah, I don't get that not being in the Hall of Fame thing at all, either. Locomotive Breath, imo , was equally as powerful as Aqualung. And without a doubt, in those early days, ( I'm talking 1965 when I was 12 ), Ian Anderson, was by far, the best front man, bar none. That wild -eyed dude must have put 25 miles on that stage running back and forth that night.
He also was hilarious-such as peeking up Martin Barre's kilt and yelling OMG THAT WAS GRUESOME. and he looked again and yelled AND IT GREW SOME MORE. he also used to do public service spots-when I saw him in Cincinnati about 6 years go, he was urging everyone get a prostate exam!

I watched him almost the entire concert when they played the second-and their last night-ever in Cincinnati. The power that guy generated without a big swing was awesome. During Kashmir, the lighting guys shot a blue laser on a crystal top hat and every time Bonham hit it the laser beam "fractured" and bounced all over the place. He had a tray of acrylic drum sticks that he would bounce off one of the drums into the crowd and without missing a beat, pick another one up and kept drumming. Sadly I wasn't close enough to get one
You know how the stage hands squat and keep everything afloat with instruments, etc.? Bonham had a group of 3 nearby at all times to repair/replace all of the equipment his busted up. lol

If I ever owned an Appaloosa horse, I wanted to name it Tumbling Dice.
Off topic, but somewhere I have a photo of myself, mid-air about 3 feet higher than the back of a big Appaloosa mare of my mother's. I tried to ride that poorly broken bitch bareback when I was home on leave one December. Spit me off almost instantly. Hard frozen ground.

The Cream and Tull were one of my first concerts too. Also liked the Doors and Vanilla Fudge way back in the day. There's a lot of groups I really like, too many to name.
I got to see the Doors in Miami. Morrison was in total wild man mode. The cops kept running back and forth onto the stage area because Jimmy was wreathing all over the stage, and the girls were rushing the stage en masse.

Off topic, but somewhere I have a photo of myself, mid-air about 3 feet higher than the back of a big Appaloosa mare of my mother's. I tried to ride that poorly broken bitch bareback when I was home on leave one December. Spit me off almost instantly. Hard frozen ground.
I once rode a 1/2 bull while drunk, on a dare in my youth. Suffice it to say that wasn't a wise decision, and the ride didn't last very long. It was more of a moon shot as soon as the gate was opened.

Pick or Add only one...

The Top Ten

Beatles
Rolling Stones
Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd
U2
Queen
AC/DC
Metallica
The Who
Rush

I have seen every band on that list live except for the Beatles. And what I can clearly say is that in their day The Who was by FAR the best live band, and the worst, the absolute worst on that list is U2... who BTW, shouldn't even be on that list anyway.

Any one of these could replace U2 on your list:

Black Sabbath
Motorhead
Nirvana
Cream
Van Halen
The Beastie Boys
The Ramones
Guns and Roses
The Clash
The Foo Fighters

So, I pick The Who as the greatest
And would ADD to your list Black Sabbath
And would delete from your list U2

BTW, it is spelled Led Zeppelin

Led Zepellin

I would put the Clash and Jethro Tull in there=both are better than Queen or Metallica or Rush

I would leave Queen. But I agree, both The Clash and Jethro Tull could bump Metallica and Rush.

Queen live was something to experience.

Must be discussing Chicago? Most of their great stuff didnt get airplay...but it was great. Had a decade's or more of their albums before Pete Cetera set them on a mainstream path sometime in the 80s.

Yeah, it was a short list of favorite Chicago song, & that was my pick.

Velvet Underground
Chilliwack (loved this group)
Bowie
The Clash
54-40
The best of all time has to be the Beatles.

The two names that jump out at me, that haven't had a mention yet, are The Smiths and Radiohead. They are both worth their place on the list for the influence that they've exerted over succeeding generations of musicians, but both are outstanding and special to my mind for their sheer virtuosity. I think Johnnie Marr could teach something new to any guitar god.

I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned Iron Maiden?
Saw them open for Judas Priest. They were fun. Nothing like good hot heavy metal live.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Except I hope you didnt get hurt. But otherwise, been there, done that. Was riding an Appy mare on a lunge line in a lesson...no reins, no stirrups...and all the snow on the roof of the indoor arena suddenly slid off. Sounded like a freight train coming. It was a rodeo for ALL the horses in there...

The two names that jump out at me, that haven't had a mention yet, are The Smiths and Radiohead. They are both worth their place on the list for the influence that they've exerted over succeeding generations of musicians, but both are outstanding and special to my mind for their sheer virtuosity. I think Johnnie Marr could teach something new to any guitar god.

Radiohead, for sure!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Except I hope you didnt get hurt. But otherwise, been there, done that. Was riding an Appy mare on a lunge line in a lesson...no reins, no stirrups...and all the snow on the roof of the indoor arena suddenly slid off. Sounded like a freight train coming. It was a rodeo for ALL the horses in there...

LOL

I was in my 20s way back then. It hurt but I didn't get hurt. I think it was about the last time I messed with hayburners though. Probably lack of opportunity as much as anything though.

And yeah, ain't a cowboy (or cowgirl) can't be throwed. :)

The Stones were the best rock band. The Beatles were more, they transcended rock.

I agree, the Stones were a rock band, the Beatles were rock and pop combined. I was never a metallica fan, I prefer the Boss or Allman Bros or maybe even Stevie Wonder.

When I hear that piano solo I sometimes feel like slitting my wrists, ain't no way I can do those licks these days.🤣
Maybe after another ten years of chipping away the rust, if I am still alive!
Holy shit that guy is incredible.

Lighthouse was a great horn band, in the Chicago-BST tradition - unlike say Crow - who had session horns added. Man northing is harder to play in-tune live - than horns! Nothing sounds worse than horns, if not perfect. I've been there.

BTW, that keyboardist is still with them, and still as goofily extroverted, in a more recent re-recording of 'One Fine Morning'. And as a group, they still sound damn good!

Back
Top Bottom