• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Military Quote

"Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead!" -Admiral David Glasgow Farragut

He was actually referring to tethered mines as projectile torpedoes hadn't been invented yet.

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
Sun Tzu

Wellington had a similar opinion of his men too.

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me!"

ah, the good old days of kipling's army when the officers and men could barely understand each other.

It should be pointed out that some of the fiercest warriors of the ancient world were the Spartans, and many (if not most) of those soldiers were homosexual or bi-sexual.

Just sayin' is all...
You omit a great deal of relevant background.
I suggest this for some light reading: Spartan army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if you have the inclination for reading try Steven Pressfield "Gates of Fire" and "Tides of War". Start with "Gates" as it is the better story.

"The sinews of war are infinite money."

"Armed forces abroad are of little value unless there is prudent counsel at home." - Cicero.

"The political object is the goal, war is the means of reaching it, and the means can never be considered in isolation from their purposes." - Karl von Clausewitz.

A valuable lesson people today still seem to not have taken to heart.

"The nicest veterans in Schenectady, I thought, the kindest and funniest ones, the ones who hated war the most, were the ones who'd really fought."
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five, Chapter 1

The game Call of Duty always had great war-time quotes. Here are some of my favorites:

“Anyone, who truly wants to go to war, has truly never been there before!”
— Larry Reeves

“Five second fuses only last three seconds.”
— Infantry Journal

“If your attack is going too well, you’re walking into an ambush.”
— Infantry Journal

“It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.”
— U.S. Air Force Marshal

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.”
— Winston Churchill

“Tracers work both ways.”
— U.S. Army Ordinance

“Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo.”
— Infantry Journal

"I’ve been where you are now and I know just how you feel. It’s entirely natural that there should beat in the breast of every one of you a hope and desire that some day you can use the skill you have acquired here.
Suppress it! You don’t know the horrible aspects of war. I’ve been through two wars and I know. I’ve seen cities and homes in ashes. I’ve seen thousands of men lying on the ground, their dead faces looking up at the skies. I tell you, war is Hell!"

General WT Sherman

Best Military quote:

"Hey kids, who wants to put things in my pouch?" Captain Kangaroo (I think he was in Army)

Captain Kangaroo joined the Marines towards the end of WWII. Contrary to rumors, he was not a war hero, and the war ended while he was still in the United States. However, it is said that he was quite the badass. Sadly, Mr. Kangaroo, after having been promoted from Private to Captain, after leaving the Marines, and just ahead of appearing on television, began suffering from dementia, and was eventually seen, by children all over the world, having conversations with a moose and a rabbit. So sad.

Last edited:
Captain Kangaroo joined the Marines towards the end of WWII. Contrary to rumors, he was not a war hero, and the war ended while he was still in the United States. However, it is said that he was quite the badass. Sadly, Mr. Kangaroo, after having been promoted from Private to Captain, after leaving the Marines, and just ahead of appearing on television, began suffering from dementia, and was eventually seen, by children all over the world, having conversations with a moose and a rabbit. So sad.

You're late. See post #32.

"We have gone forth from our shores repeatedly over the last hundred years and we’ve done this as recently as the last year in Afghanistan and put wonderful young men and women at risk, many of whom have lost their lives, and we have asked for nothing except enough ground to bury them in.

Colin Powell in Switzerland when asked by the former Archbishop of Canterbury: whether the U.S. was relying too much on "hard power" such as military action as opposed to "soft power" such as appealing to the common values of the major religions and building trust based on those values.

Colin Powell-All We Want is Land to Bury our Dead-Truth!

True interview from CNN with a US Marine in Afghanistan, 2004:

Q: "What do you feel when you shoot an enemy terrorist"?
A: "Recoil"

True interview from CNN with a US Marine in Afghanistan, 2004:

Q: "What do you feel when you shoot an enemy terrorist"?
A: "Recoil"

:rofl

That reminds of the line from Full metal Jacket:

How do you shoot women and children?

Easy, just don't lead 'em as much.

Back
Top Bottom