• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Belief in God would be so much easier if it weren't for religion

They can't all be right, and there can only be one truth.
That is absolutely ridiculous and is the way religions go to war with each other and commit atrocities like the Inquisition and the Crusades.

It doesn't seem like most religious people care about layer 0. It's the other ones that they like to kill over.

Haven't you heard of what's going on in Uganda? Just a response to your first comment, not anything else.

Haven't you heard of whats going on in godless North Korea?

I mean please Star, that is a bad situation and being fueled by ignorance, not the true teachings of Christianity.

The Catholic religion requires you to be part of their organization. If you die in mortal sin, you go to hell. Don't go to church? Don't go to confession? You're doomed. Aren't baptized. To hell you go. (Except babies, but they'll never see God, as they go to Limbo.) Visit a Catholic church and you are denied communion if you aren't Catholic. God invites you to the table, the Catholic church attaches strings.

That's just doctrine though, nothing in the bible supports their practices, and I'm pretty sure the bible is higher priority than their traditions.

Haven't you heard of whats going on in godless North Korea?

I mean please Star, that is a bad situation and being fueled by ignorance, not the true teachings of Christianity.

What does North Korea have to do with what I said? I didn't say atheists don't do bad things, I was showing that Christians still do bad things. For a person so concerned with people attacking you for things you haven't said you seem to do it just as much yourself.

Oh, and by the way. No one has ever killed another person in the name of godlessness or atheism. But countless thousands throughout history have been killed in the name of some god or other.

Last edited:
What does North Korea have to do with what I said? I didn't say atheists don't do bad things, I was showing that Christians still do bad things. For a person so concerned with people attacking you for things you haven't said you seem to do it just as much yourself.

You think that was an attack?

It was a little sarcasm with a hint of the reality of the situation. Many evil deeds have been committed in the name of a god or gods. Whether they were part of the teachings or not.

Oh, and by the way. No one has ever killed another person in the name of godlessness or atheism. But countless thousands throughout history have been killed in the name of some god or other.

That's because atheism and godlessness really don't have a following like religion. Instead we have things like World Wars 1 and 2 over land and racism etc. If religion disappeared tomorrow, we as humans would find other reasons to kill and subjugate each other.

Really? You're absolutely sure about this? I suppose you've never really read much on Pol Pot's regime in Cambodia or Stalin's purges in the USSR. Both pro-atheist and vehemently anti-theist. Both targeted Christians and combined are resposible for perhaps twenty million deaths (conservative estimate). :shrug:

Really? You're absolutely sure about this? I suppose you've never really read much on Pol Pot's regime in Cambodia or Stalin's purges in the USSR. Both pro-atheist and vehemently anti-theist. Both targeted Christians and combined are resposible for perhaps twenty million deaths (conservative estimate). :shrug:

All signs of individuality were stripped away to embrace a purely communisitic nationalism.

Religion would have been an interference.

A lot of things would be easier without religion.
Really? You're absolutely sure about this? I suppose you've never really read much on Pol Pot's regime in Cambodia or Stalin's purges in the USSR. Both pro-atheist and vehemently anti-theist. Both targeted Christians and combined are resposible for perhaps twenty million deaths (conservative estimate).
Not that I agree with what stars2heaven said, but Stalin and Pol Pot killed people because they were dictators. They eliminated any idea or organization that stood in the way of their power or influence. Atheism wasn't the cause, since atheism isn't a philosophy, Stalin was a nihilist that only believed in his own glory. It's sort of dishonest to say that of Stalin had been a Christian, rather than an Atheist, he wouldn't have killed as many people. Hitler was a Roman Catholic (apparently he converted to Protestantism), his anti-semitism grew from his Christian upbringing and the anti-Semitic views of the time. After all, Jews did kill Christ.

If Stalin hated all Christians, then why did he ally with Hitler's Germany in the early days of the WW2? Atheism didn't kill Stalin's people. I'm fairly sure Stalin killed a lot more Jews than Christians, but he mainly killed people who defied him or stood in his way. It wasn't philosophy, it was authoritarianism. As for Pol Pot, I don't know much about his personal life.

Last edited:

Positive. Atheism is not a belief, so it can not motivate or inspire people to do things. Even if religious people were targeted and killed by these people, it does not follow that it was done in the name of atheism. Not only did those two have lots of political reasons for killing who they killed, atheism is not something that is opposed to religion. There is no rational basis for making the claim that they killed in the name of atheism, or anything of that sort.

A lot of things would be easier without religion.

Not that I agree with what stars2heaven said, but Stalin and Pol Pot killed people because they were dictators. They eliminated any idea or organization that stood in the way of their power or influence. Atheism wasn't the cause, since atheism isn't a philosophy, Stalin was a nihilist that only believed in his own glory. It's sort of dishonest to say that of Stalin had been a Christian, rather than an Atheist, he wouldn't have killed as many people. Hitler was a Roman Catholic (apparently he converted to Protestantism), his anti-semitism grew from his Christian upbringing and the anti-Semitic views of the time. After all, Jews did kill Christ.

If Stalin hated all Christians, then why did he ally with Hitler's Germany in the early days of the WW2? Atheism didn't kill Stalin's people. I'm fairly sure Stalin killed a lot more Jews than Christians, but he mainly killed people who defied him or stood in his way. It wasn't philosophy, it was authoritarianism. As for Pol Pot, I don't know much about his personal life.

Please don't misquote me here. I was simply stating the FACT that both were PRO-atheist and vehemently ANTI-theist, and both targeted specific religious groups (i.e., Christians) for extermination. These are undeniable FACTS. Take what inferences you will from them. :shrug:

probably not, but we should look at it positively. Glass half full sort of thing

Religion has done far more good than bad. I hate to think what level of inhumanity mankind would have sank to.

Religion has done far more good than bad. I hate to think what level of inhumanity mankind would have sank to.

You're right, if hundreds of years worth of scientific exploration and research hadn't been oppressed and suppressed there is no telling where we might be today.

Religions might acknowledge a higher power, but is the Christian God the same as shiva? Are they both the same entity? No. It's illogical to say that all religions are right because most share common ground in believing in something beyond ourselves.

Yes, the Christian God is the same as Brahman, Brahman being the one true god of Vedanta Hindus. Even Shiva, of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva is a divine god, interpreted by the Hindus. Both are divine, just the interpretation is different. If God is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent, then all interpretations of God are correct.

What does this have to do with the One Truth? And about Hindus acknowledging Jesus. Jesus specifically said there is only forgiveness through Him, and one can only enter heaven through Him. He also said the road to redemption is narrow and few chose to travel upon it. Likewise He also said the road to destruction is broad. If all religions are correct and all go to heaven, then logically either Christianity is wrong (which also contradicts the belief that all religions are correct) or your belief that all religions are correct is wrong. By definition it is self defeating.

I said level 0 yes correct for all religions, not that levels 1 and 2 were correct. Those are rituals supporting the belief in God. They can be wrong.

Anyone ever think if you're all wrong, and we just rot in the ground when we die. take that big book of stories out of the picture so to speak.

Anyone ever think if you're all wrong, and we just rot in the ground when we die. take that big book of stories out of the picture so to speak.

But there's no harm in believing in something.

Except when it affects other so much -The Homosexual population- that they are denied human rights.

Yeah sure - if you mix it with organized religion and so on.

Which is the opposite of the OP

and then the talking snake said "here eat this magical apple, or we shall all turn to clay..." Bible is so legit.
Thou who eats at red lobster shall be considered an abomination.

If God is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent, then all interpretations of God are correct.
God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omnicient of His own accord, not necessarily of ours. Our interpretations have no relevance to his existence.

and then the talking snake said "here eat this magical apple, or we shall all turn to clay..." Bible is so legit.

Hippie - surely you can grasp the concept of spirituality without the 'Bible' or 'Catholic church' and stuff like that.

Hey troll, there are other places on this forum for your baiting and lack of substance. Your comments are so cliche, they don't warrant a response. Try to stick to the OP and go join an Atheists User Group :roll:

Back
Top Bottom