• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you in favour of bringing back Prohibition?

• No!

Votes: 24 100.0%
  • Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not sure ...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Looking back:

Although the temperance movement, which was widely supported, had succeeded in bringing about this legislation, millions of Americans were willing to drink liquor (distilled spirits) illegally, which gave rise to bootlegging (the illegal production and sale of liquor) and speakeasies (illegal, secretive drinking establishments), both of which were capitalized upon by organized crime. As a result, the Prohibition era also is remembered as a period of gangsterism, characterized by competition and violent turf battles between criminal gangs.

More:

Of course, NOT!

Americans want to drink.

So drink they shall, regardless of any law.

Prohibition would only bring back illegal bars -- and police corruption (bribes to keep the bars open).

Now if Americans could only grow up and legalize prostitution! (Although -- to be fair -- hear tell that some previously tolerant countries like England and France are thinking about outlawing prostitution. Maybe because of the women's rights movement and another reason (that the former movie star Brigitte Bardot was fined by a court for saying out loud).

No, for various reasons.

But the question is not as crazy as people think. Prohibition did lower rates of alcohol abuse and alcohol related illness.

Now given alcohol has historical and cultural significance in western societies i do not support bans, but I do think high taxes and ABC store monopolies which limit the number of locations and hours in which it can be purchased is a positive thing. Along with more strict enforcement of over service laws.

My grandfather ran bootleg...he was born in 1887...I had a great uncle who was killed in a wreck, runnin' from the law...not good times at all...

No.

Didn't work the first time, and it wouldn't work now.

Just look to all the drug laws for comparison.

Hasn't stopped or in many cases even reduced the use of illicit drugs.

It would just create one more underground market and likely as violent trade.

No.

Didn't work the first time, and it wouldn't work now.

Just look to all the drug laws for comparison.

Hasn't stopped or in many cases even reduced the use of illicit drugs.

It would just create one more underground market and likely as violent trade.

Yep, without severe and highly likely demand side penalties, prohibition of anything is doomed to fail.

In 246 years of American history, only ONE Constitutional Amendment has been repealed: Prohibition. (Amendment XVIII)

It was repealed because it turned normal people, doing normal things, into outlaws. It was a gross overreach of government power, so the law was repealed in 1933.

Prohibition is gone for good. There is zero chance it will ever be reinstated.

10 out of 10 say NO - and so do I.

Not according to history I have heard and read, maybe I should ask how “success” is defined and “who“ was successful.

Did you get a chance to read the article? Alcohol consumption decreased drastically and alcohol related disease also saw a massive drop. Also the violent crime rate was not really affected as you see in most school books

But some of you would like to do Prohibition on guns, as if it would work out any better, aren't you....

No, but I think people should held far more accountable for endangering other people when they are under the influence. The penalties for drunk driving a sick joke, especially in a world where someone can go to prison for 5 years for carrying a gun into a Post Office.

Whisky - or fire-water - in!

But: machine guns for everybody - out!

Wouldn't make no never mind to me at a personal level.

Would be worried about how it would affect business and how much bootlegging would ensue.

Shit, at the 20 vote mark, we all agree on something.

Prohibition doesn't work.
People will always find a way to get hammered if they want to get hammered and people can be extremely creative.

Sometimes we just have to accept that people will do things that aren't maybe the most sensible if they want or feel the need to.

Back
Top Bottom