• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are warmers mentaly ill

We try, without much success...

Cloud seeding is a fairly successfully program. While it is not a guarantee of rain, it increases the chance by a measurable amount...IIRC, ~10%.

Yeah, but you're still not getting it. 10 years ago you could have found patients having an enormous fear of terrorist plots, and a couple of years after that, fears of government intrusion leading to controlling everything we do.

They are still valid thoughts to have, are they not? The issue with disorders is having it disrupt your life. All you're doing is using it selectively to somehow claim those with different scientific and political views are suffering from disorders. It's ridiculous.

If they are making major life decisions based on a compulsive disorder it is effecting their lives and worse yet it is effecting the lives of us who do not suffer from their delusions.

If they are making major life decisions based on a compulsive disorder it is effecting their lives and worse yet it is effecting the lives of us who do not suffer from their delusions.

But those with the disorder meet certain specific criteria before they are thus labeled. Your political views, as often as I think they are vastly exaggerated, would nevertheless preclude me from giving you a disorder categorization.

But those with the disorder meet certain specific criteria before they are thus labeled. Your political views, as often as I think they are vastly exaggerated, would nevertheless preclude me from giving you a disorder categorization.

Refer to the OP. You are talking in circles now. It is the psychiatrist themselves seeing AGW and OCD links.

Refer to the OP. You are talking in circles now. It is the psychiatrist themselves seeing AGW and OCD links.

You're the one who needs to re-read. What they are saying is, those with OCD are disproportionately worried about the effects of global warming.

Cloud seeding is a fairly successfully program. While it is not a guarantee of rain, it increases the chance by a measurable amount...IIRC, ~10%.

So what you are saying is even when we try to change weather in an extremely small location the results are dismal. Meanwhile we are changing the entire earths temp without even trying. OCD on display. :lol:

You're the one who needs to re-read. What they are saying is, those with OCD are disproportionately worried about the effects of global warming.

Yes and the next logical step is to study what percent of people obsessed with AGW like so many in here are full blown OCD victims, the link is proven.

Yes and the next logical step is to study what percent of people obsessed with AGW like so many in here are full blown OCD victims, the link is proven.

If a psychological study were released on those with X disorder were fearful about the standings of the second amendment and were supporters of the NRA, would you then jump to the conclusion that we thus need to study how many NRA supporters have this disorder-with the belief that they are a cult and are mentally ill?

If a psychological study were released on those with X disorder were fearful about the standings of the second amendment and were supporters of the NRA, would you then jump to the conclusion that we thus need to study how many NRA supporters have this disorder-with the belief that they are a cult and are mentally ill?

Hypothetical gibberish to take away from the fact that AGW is a phobia displayed by those with OCD. Now the question is what percent of those obsessed with AGW are full blown OCD. Nice try at changing the subject though.

Hypothetical gibberish to take away from the fact that AGW is a phobia displayed by those with OCD. Now the question is what percent of those obsessed with AGW are full blown OCD. Nice try at changing the subject though.

It's not hypothetical, since all the report said was exactly the scenario I outlined. The only difference was I changed out a social and/or political concern with another.

What you are doing, is distorting the report to fit your political inclinations and prejudices, while ignoring the possibility that your own political views could just as easily receive such foolish criticism.

So what you are saying is even when we try to change weather in an extremely small location the results are dismal. Meanwhile we are changing the entire earths temp without even trying. OCD on display. :lol:

A 10 % increase in precipitation is not a dismal result. It is in fact dramatic.

It's not hypothetical, since all the report said was exactly the scenario I outlined. The only difference was I changed out a social and/or political concern with another.

What you are doing, is distorting the report to fit your political inclinations and prejudices, while ignoring the possibility that your own political views could just as easily receive such foolish criticism.

I would say it is you who is letting your politics blind you to the facts presented in the OP. If you have a link to validate your hypothetical BS kindly present it, if not kindly STFU.:)

I would say it is you who is letting your politics blind you to the facts presented in the OP. If you have a link to validate your hypothetical BS kindly present it, if not kindly STFU.:)

Your link has 3 paragraphs in it addressing the issue. Two sentences in the first paragraph, one in the second, and three in the third. If you can't juggle that, then there is nothing more I can do other than actually bolding the important portion of the summary (which I did). Don't blame me for actually showing you the context of your own post.

Eh. It's the activity of one person or group to change the weather, versus the collective strength of 7,000,000,000 people all working together to take fossilized carbon out of the ground. It makes sense.

That aside, my humble opinion is that our technology will advanced enough at some point that we will probably be able to manipulate the Earth's climate on a global scale. We will be able to prevent climate change / weather disasters before they even happen. Not that the technology will magically let us off the hook - we should strive to maintain the environment, biodiversity and quit burning fossil fuels. If we manage destroy the Earth, we're absolutely done and doomed. However there are much more pressing matters. Things like HIV/AIDs or poverty, or the climate technology in the first place.

You mean like those OCD victims that obsess over birds and backpacks at public events?!? :lol:

Your link has 3 paragraphs in it addressing the issue. Two sentences in the first paragraph, one in the second, and three in the third. If you can't juggle that, then there is nothing more I can do other than actually bolding the important portion of the summary (which I did). Don't blame me for actually showing you the context of your own post.
He knows not what he cites. That's pretty much expected for certain people.

I have always thought the warmer cult had an irrational obsession with AGW. Apparently they do. Psychiatrists discuss global warming effects on OCD patients
The Royal Australian and New Zealand Collage of Psychiatrists' Congress at SkyCity Convention Centre in Auckland in May 2010 brought together mental health experts in a diverse range of areas; from children and adolescents to old age, mental health across the lifespan will be discussed.

Here are some highlights from May 6th's programme.
Global warming fears seen in obsessive compulsive disorder patients
A recent study has found that global warming has impacted the nature of symptoms experienced by obsessive compulsive disorder patients. Climate change related obsessions and/or compulsions were identified in 28% of patients presenting with obsessive compulsive disorder.

Their obsessions included leaving taps on and wasting water, leaving lights on and wasting electricity, pets dying of thirst, leaving the stove on and wasting gas as well as obsessions that global warming had contributed to house floors cracking, pipes leaking, roof problems and white ants eating the house.

Compulsions in response to these obsessions included the checking of taps, light switches, pet water bowls and house structures.
"Media coverage about the possible catastrophic consequences to our planet concerning global warming is extensive and potentially anxiety provoking. We found that many obsessive compulsive disorder patients were concerned about reducing their global footprint," said study author Dr Mairwen Jones.
http://www.balance.org.nz/home/2-news/153-psychiatrists-discuss-global-warming-on-ocd-patients

Yes, 99% of the climatologists are wrong!! These people, who do they think they are, just because they've spent their life studying this stuff, getting advanced degrees, conducting experiments, running tests, and building models (that predict accurately), doesn't mean they know anything about the climate. Rush Limbaugh knows more than them. We'd be fools to believe anything scientists say about the climate!!

Germany has 3 (three!) "centennial floods" in the past 15 years. Three.

When the first flood came in 1997, they said it had been that bad the last time somewhen in the 19th century -- well, **** happens, usually around once per century.

In 2002, it was even worse. But whatever, bad coincidence.

This year, in 2013, we even had the worst flood since the 17th century. And guess what climate experts predicted? That global warming, as a rule of thumb, will make hot and dry climate zones even hotter and dryer, and moderate climate zones more humid (wetter).

Coincidence?

Yes, 99% of the climatologists are wrong!! These people, who do they think they are, just because they've spent their life studying this stuff, getting advanced degrees, conducting experiments, running tests, and building models (that predict accurately), doesn't mean they know anything about the climate. Rush Limbaugh knows more than them. We'd be fools to believe anything scientists say about the climate!!

Please share with us where exactly you are getting your 99% stat.

This thread is perhaps one of the most clueless understandings of cause and effect I've ever witnessed. Worrying about global warming does not cause OCD. OCD causes worrying about global warming.

I've also seen OCD lead a guy to excessively worry about semen being all over his hands all the time, so much so that he would wash his hands constantly to the point that his skin was ripped asunder. From the looks of the thread, the OP would draw the conclusion that masturbation causes OCD based on his analysis of the data presented here.

I have always thought the warmer cult had an irrational obsession with AGW. Apparently they do. Psychiatrists discuss global warming effects on OCD patients
The Royal Australian and New Zealand Collage of Psychiatrists' Congress at SkyCity Convention Centre in Auckland in May 2010 brought together mental health experts in a diverse range of areas; from children and adolescents to old age, mental health across the lifespan will be discussed.

Here are some highlights from May 6th's programme.
Global warming fears seen in obsessive compulsive disorder patients
A recent study has found that global warming has impacted the nature of symptoms experienced by obsessive compulsive disorder patients. Climate change related obsessions and/or compulsions were identified in 28% of patients presenting with obsessive compulsive disorder.

Their obsessions included leaving taps on and wasting water, leaving lights on and wasting electricity, pets dying of thirst, leaving the stove on and wasting gas as well as obsessions that global warming had contributed to house floors cracking, pipes leaking, roof problems and white ants eating the house.

Compulsions in response to these obsessions included the checking of taps, light switches, pet water bowls and house structures.
"Media coverage about the possible catastrophic consequences to our planet concerning global warming is extensive and potentially anxiety provoking. We found that many obsessive compulsive disorder patients were concerned about reducing their global footprint," said study author Dr Mairwen Jones.
http://www.balance.org.nz/home/2-news/153-psychiatrists-discuss-global-warming-on-ocd-patients

Remembered way back when you made claims about wanting honest and errors debate?

:lamo

I have never been more serious or honest. I think most warmers are not only obsessed with AGW they are likely OCD patients.

No YOU are crazy. No backsies..

Back
Top Bottom