• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Trump's purported remarks about the troops disqualifying?

Are Trump's purported remarks about the troops disqualifying?

• Yes

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
If it's confirmed, is it disqualifying?

I know it's unthinkable Trump would disparage the troops, certainly he's never done that in the past. :) I'm asking if the remarks described are disqualifying.

Let me know when it is confirmed. Until then it is just the one millionth example of TDS.

Except they only repeat the same claims which were already proven false. I have no doubt there’s an anonymous friend of Eric Ciarmella who will repeat such things, but the only factual claim that can be proven, the reason for not visiting the cemetary, has already been proven in Trump’s favor with documentary evidence

How were they 'proven' false?

So if he said other remarks you didn't like, then these remarks about dead soldiers must be true because something he might have said in the past was true. Right?

No, they're likely true because 1) they were sourced to several different insiders, 2) at least two other outlets including Fox confirmed those accounts, and 3) they are consistent with his on the record comments, and his life in general.

Get back to us when Trump sends the troops into 2 unwanted wars.

Like Bush and Obama.

Unwanted? I remember the military was pretty gung-ho about going into Afghanistan and Iraq. Granted they had soured a bit on war by the time Obama was elected but Syria and Lebanon were hardly full scale engagements.

In the fall of 1968, Donald J. Trump received a timely diagnosis of bone spurs in his heels that led to his medical exemption from the military during Vietnam.

Now a possible explanation has emerged about the documentation. It involves a foot doctor in Queens who rented his office from Mr. Trump’s father, Fred C. Trump, and a suggestion that the diagnosis was granted as a courtesy to the elder Mr. Trump.

Did a Queens Podiatrist Help Donald Trump Avoid Vietnam? - The New York Times

Trump wasn't a "sucker". He got his dad to get him a deferment.

Since this story is not true, this is irrelevant.

Right, because Dear Leader says it's not true, and he's never wrong. MAGA!!

However, Biden told a crowd today that a black man invented the lightbulb.

That should be disqualifying.

Yes, terrible. All Latimer did was make the light bulb practical for everyday use.

Really!! A Left of center magazine suffering from subscriber loss promoting shoddy journalism. Outrageous!!

I am confident that the Atlantic would not lie about something this incendiary. I still think it was irresponsible for the Atlantic to base this article on unsubstantiated assertions. I hope that as a result of this article people come forward, identify themselves, and confirm that they heard Trump make comments like that.

Sorry....but this whole story has already been debunked.....non story

4dy09r.jpg

Well Trump fans seem to be dead sure it is not true. Despite little evidence of their own - except what was it, Sarah Sanders or someone vouching for him? Well let's look at the evidence.

1. Trump has said such things in the past - on tape.
2. Multiple sources, that the press including even Fox News finds reliable, have corroborated it.
3. The only person disputing it is Huckabee-Sanders, a known liar.
4. Trump, also a known liar, has also denied saying the things in #1 that we still have on video, which means he's likely lying about both, definitely about #1.

There's more than enough reason to suspect it's true. It's entirely possible and not at all unimaginable coming from his fat orange lips. It is quite plausible, given his record of running his mouth and similar things we know he has said. It's hearsay, we know, but it's also classic Trump.

So whether he did indeed screw up this time as well or whether it's just the other heinous things he has said about vets and POWs, my original point stands - his base will forgive anything he says. So yes they are really forgiving.

The dude survived an impeachment for something highly illegal that everyone knows he did including those who exonerated him. It's a bit hysterical to say one more ***ty comment by Trump could cost him his job after all he's said and done and gotten away with. A few more swing voters might tick a different box but that's about it. His base isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately this is not the moment that will 'destroy' Trump. He's said (and done) far worse and survived.

So you are giving him credit for surviving close calls. Sort of like in a James Bond movie.
So, you too don't care if his accusers are specifically identified. You accept the Atlantic article as fact without knowing who reported that Trump made those vile comments. And you believe it because Trump made similar comments in the past.
I pity the guy on trial if you're a member of the jury.
You must have been cheering for Blasey Ford during the Kavanaugh hearings whenever was against him and nothing could be proven.
You're probably a believer in the "Hands up; Don't Shoot" mythology where people still believe that is what Michael Brown said before he got shot.

Let me know when it is confirmed. Until then it is just the one millionth example of TDS.

Three different news outlets including Fox confirmed some or all the statements.

You're welcome.

Give us a break. Trump constantly says “a lot of people are saying,” never identifying who. Face it. There could be a video of Trump saying this on Fifth Ave and he wouldn’t lose some of his supporters.

I found an engraving of you and your fellow anti-Trumpers attending an execution in the town square.
You don't really care if the victim is guilty of the reported crime. And you don't know the accused personally.
But you heard he is a bad man and should be punished. Besides, you've always enjoyed watching someone get drawn and quartered in the town square. It's a blood sport to you and your fellow Trump-haters.

drawing-quartering-assassin-Francois-Ravaillac-Henry-IV-1610.jpg

I am confident that the Atlantic would not lie about something this incendiary. I still think it was irresponsible for the Atlantic to base this article on unsubstantiated assertions. I hope that as a result of this article people come forward, identify themselves, and confirm that they heard Trump make comments like that.

That's one thing we can agree on. Let the accusers come out and be identified.

I found an engraving of you and your fellow anti-Trumpers attending an execution in the town square.
You don't really care if the victim is guilty of the reported crime. And you don't know the accused personally.
But you heard he is a bad man and should be punished. Besides, you've always enjoyed watching someone get drawn and quartered in the town square. It's a blood sport to you and your fellow Trump-haters.

View attachment 67294119

Well there is cause for a reasonable person to believe this, given several sources and Trump’s past comments on McCain. But remember, people are not going all Central Park Five on Trump as he did on the youths who were arrested back then It seems strange that people are concerned with some rush to judgement by the prez, when he specializes in that. Biden said something like “if the reports are true.” (And btw, Trump is the one who seems to love torture.)

Frankly, I hope that he didn’t say such things, but the problem with his character is that people wouldn’t be shocked if he did.

That's one thing we can agree on. Let the accusers come out and be identified.

You see how that provides cover for Trump and other bad actors, right?

If the choice was between not publishing this story and publishing with anonymous sources, then requiring named sources means we wouldn't ever hear of it and Trump can get away with anything with a denial.

Would you agree that if this story is true that the public deserves to know?

You don't want to know the names of the people who reported that the president said some of the most vile things a president could say about the military? And it could cost him the presidency? That's not important to you?
If you going to be destroyed by someone's testimony, wouldn't you want to know who that person was?
This is not a whistleblower situation. This is libel and slander that could affect an election. But you already know that.

It is interesting to see the right suddenly so interested in libel and slander.

You’re smart enough to know that what we see here is standard political tactics. It’s a game that’s been honed by politicians for decades. If the allegations are true why hold on to them until just sixty days before the election? Didn’t these anonymous sources care enough about these fallen soldiers to bring forth the charges when they occurred? I know you don’t care but it’s a devastating charge to accuse anyone of behind anonymity. The sources are either cowards or opportunists. Maybe both.

The journalist has not yet contacted me to let me know when he first started researching the story, and how long it took to adequately vet his sources.

Unwanted? I remember the military was pretty gung-ho about going into Afghanistan and Iraq. Granted they had soured a bit on war by the time Obama was elected but Syria and Lebanon were hardly full scale engagements.

Until they found out they were getting played.

Well there is cause for a reasonable person to believe this, given several sources and Trump’s past comments on McCain. But remember, people are not going all Central Park Five on Trump as he did on the youths who were arrested back then It seems strange that people are concerned with some rush to judgement by the prez, when he specializes in that. Biden said something like “if the reports are true.” (And btw, Trump is the one who seems to love torture.)

Frankly, I hope that he didn’t say such things, but the problem with his character is that people wouldn’t be shocked if he did.

You wrote: "Trump is the one who seems to love torture."
Why? Because he was not opposed to waterboarding? A lot of Americans think waterboarding could be helpful in a time of danger and imminent disaster. Haven't you watched any "24 " episodes?

Just before an election, I would be shocked if Trump said something totally stupid and damaging.

You see how that provides cover for Trump and other bad actors, right?

If the choice was between not publishing this story and publishing with anonymous sources, then requiring named sources means we wouldn't ever hear of it and Trump can get away with anything with a denial.

Would you agree that if this story is true that the public deserves to know?

The public deserves to know if the story is true and it is true if people believe there are real sources that can be believed.

Three different news outlets including Fox confirmed some or all the statements.

You're welcome.

It's a bunch of malarchy. Were Fox news and the other news outlets there? The only thing they can confirm is heresy.

You approve of these remarks?

What remarks? There were NO remarks. It's just more TDS. I disapprove of anti-Trumpers making these things up to get Trump and the media reporting them as if true. It is beyond disgusting. The media ARE the enemy of the people.

Back
Top Bottom