• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are Exorcisms and Demons Real?

Baxter said:
In and around the time of Jesus, demons, sometimes thousands, could be living in one person. Jesus could cast them out, i.e., exorcism.

What makes you believe that things are any different now?

Baxter said:
Today, there is a demon inside of all of our minds. That's Satan. He doesn't go away, exorcism or not. Only God can protect us from the demon inside us.

There is evil enough in the hearts of men that we do not need supernatural explanations for it. If we are not strong enough to resist it, then we do not deserve the protections of our gods.

And you may be right, Rat. But when's the last time you saw a man on a rampage in nothing but his natural underwear? It happens, but that's just because some people are insane. Maybe what we know as insanity today is what the demons were like in the past.

Baxter said:
But when's the last time you saw a man on a rampage in nothing but his natural underwear?

I live in the meth capital of the USA.

Baxter said:
It happens, but that's just because some people are insane. Maybe what we know as insanity today is what the demons were like in the past.

Six of one, a half-dozen of the other. I've seen crazy, but I haven't seen a classic demonic possession-- though I have seen some similar things-- so I can't accurately compare the two. And the problem with exoricsts is, they don't normally bring along an EEG; it's entirely possible that possession wreaks chemical havoc on the brain, similar to numerous other spiritual activities.

The problem is, we can explain a goodly number of the strange phenomena of the past-- so we assume that we can explain all of it.

Baxter said:
Maybe what we know as insanity today is what the demons were like in the past.

Maybe there wasn't demon possesion at all, maybe just mental illness. But the primitive people at that time had no way of treatment; so it would be demon possesion to someone then. Back then there was no such thing as hospitals, medicine, treatments like antibiotics didn't exist yet, so in the absense of all this, demon possesion sounds logical.

You know, after a year of taking crap like that from another forum, I finally left. Don't push me.

What? can you please clarify that? Push you????

kal-el said:
Maybe there wasn't demon possesion at all, maybe just mental illness. But the primitive people at that time had no way of treatment; so it would be demon possesion to someone then. Back then there was no such thing as hospitals, medicine, treatments like antibiotics didn't exist yet, so in the absense of all this, demon possesion sounds logical.

The Bible documents events in which Jesus casts out demons, such as when he sent thousands of demons from one man into a herd of pigs. This could be figurative, however these events occurred in the New Testemant, which I interpret literally...at least as far as Revelation. The Old Testemant is figurative, I believe.

What? can you please clarify that? Push you????

I shan't clarify until the due time.

Baxter said:
The Bible documents events in which Jesus casts out demons, such as when he sent thousands of demons from one man into a herd of pigs.

Yes, and it also documents god killing Egyptian firstborn, people who perform tasks on the sabbath, juveniles for making fun of one of his prophet's baldness, that bats are birds, and that donkey's and snakes can talk.:lol:

This could be figurative, however these events occurred in the New Testemant, which I interpret literally...at least as far as Revelation. The Old Testemant is figurative, I believe.

You cannot blindly pick which is to be taken as a moral parable and which is to be taken literally. I, however take the entire bible literally, as one is expected to do, unless otherwise told. I'll quote this from a page in my NIV:

The word bible means "book". The bible was given this name because it is the book of god's word's to us. The bible is sometimes called scripture, a word meaning, "something written." The bible is like a library of 66 books put together into one big book. But all the books within the bible talk about the same subject: God's message to us. The bible tells us about god, show's us god's mighty acts in the lives of his people, and describes how people responded to god. From the bible we learn what god is like and what he expects of us.

I shan't clarify until the due time.

Clarify? It seems you're flapping your gums without actually communicating anything.:lol:

kal-el said:
Yes, and it also documents god killing Egyptian firstborn, people who perform tasks on the sabbath, juveniles for making fun of one of his prophet's baldness, that bats are birds, and that donkey's and snakes can talk.:lol:

God didn't didn't kill the firstborn, Pharoh did. That's why Moses was put into the Nile...for protection.

You cannot blindly pick which is to be taken as a moral parable and which is to be taken literally. I, however take the entire bible literally, as one is expected to do, unless otherwise told.

Can you know that for sure? You think I'm supposed to take it seriously when the Bible says a two-edged sword will come from Jesus' mouth in Revelation?

Clarify? It seems you're flapping your gums without actually communicating anything.:lol:

I prefer jargon or incoherant rambling.

Baxter said:
God didn't didn't kill the firstborn, Pharoh did. That's why Moses was put into the Nile...for protection.

What are you talking about? Another Christian needs a theology lesson I see:

Numbers 33:3,4
The Israelites set out from Ramses on the fifteenth day of the first month, the day after the passover. They marched out bodly in full view of the Egyptians, who were burying all their firstborn, whom the lord had struck down among them; for the lord had brought judgement on their gods.

Do you see the word Pharoh anywhere?

You think I'm supposed to take it seriously when the Bible says a two-edged sword will come from Jesus' mouth in Revelation?

Listen, the bible makes it pretty evident that it is the word of god. If you do not believe in Jesus's two-edged sword, why do you chose to believe in god then? Maybe he is simply a character in this book.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is god-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness

I prefer jargon or incoherant rambling.

Ok, and I guess you prefer to stay burried in your religious cacoon of irrational thought.

kal-el said:
Do you see the word Pharoh anywhere?

Pardon me. I was recalling the incodent in the New Testement when Herod killed the first born to find Jesus. I don't know why I said Pharoh. No, wait. Moses. Moses was in danger of being killed by Pharoh. Yes, that's right.

Another Christian needs a theology lesson I see:

We could debate until the cows come home, but does it matter who's right or wrong? In the end, there's no denying the truth.

Your arrogance and overall assurance that you are superior in your evaluation of the Bible...tisk, tisk...

Baxter said:
Pardon me. I was recalling the incodent in the New Testement when Herod killed the first born to find Jesus. I don't know why I said Pharoh. No, wait. Moses. Moses was in danger of being killed by Pharoh. Yes, that's right.

That's alright.

We could debate until the cows come home, but does it matter who's right or wrong? In the end, there's no denying the truth.

And what exactly is the truth? The existence of a god is not factual at all, or it's non-existence. Why is the Christian god more probable than Zeus? Osiris? Mithra?

Your arrogance and overall assurance that you are superior in your evaluation of the Bible...tisk, tisk...

Not really, I'm sure there's a couple people on this frum who have a better grasp on the scriptures than I. I was only saying that because alot of Christians that I have run into, don't believe the bible states some of the things I assert. That shows me they are ignorant on scripture. Shame on them, it is their theology, their piece of worship, not mine, it only serves as a hobby.

Many non-Christian are very fluent in their knowledge of the Bible, just so they can use it against people like me...even though they don't believe in it.

Baxter said:
Many non-Christian are very fluent in their knowledge of the Bible, just so they can use it against people like me...even though they don't believe in it.

Others are fluent in the Bible because they studied it extensively while trying to bolster their failing faith.

I would urge you to do the same-- there are only two defense against a non-believer using your god's own words against you: you and stick your fingers in your ears and pretend you don't hear him, or you can learn the verses they're using and learn the arguments they're using and you can learn how to refute them.

If you would defend your faith against those who attack it, you should be intimiately familiar with the details.

My sister was just studying a few verses that said Christians need to know the Bible to be able to respond intelligently and defend God and the Bible. It's weird that you said that.

My faith places a similar value on literacy.

TimmyBoy said:
I was watching several documentaries on the exorcisms that have been performed. The documentaries showed interviews with priests who performed the exorcism on a boy in which the movie "The Exorcist" was made on. When renting the DVD "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" I saw on the dirctor's cut where the director had watched video footage of actual exorcisms taking place. He met a cop who investigated such things who got him interested in it. He also listened to the actual tape from the real exorcism of Emily Rose from the actual real world trial. It was the police officer who told him about the trial. The director said that the hardest thing he had to do, was to do the research on actual exorcisms and he said he does not wish to do such research again. My girlfriend told me that the exorcism of the boy which the movie "The Exorcist" was made from, the room where the boy stayed in, stays cold and she said that people become violently sick after going in that room. She also stated that Hospital wing where the exorcism continued remained cold and it was eventually demolished and turned into a parking lot. So, what is your take? Are exorcisms real? Or are they fake or superstition?

YES very real, and not only that but many of our leaders look towards the Devil and not God.

Same with the UN, its really a Luciferic based group.

Baxter said:

Actually, I'm mostly familiar with the bible as I spent the better part of my life as a Christian. But almost all atheists I ran into are well-versed on scripture. Christians, I have found, usually can only recite the verses their preacher gives them, they either choose to ignore/ are ignorant of the bloody parts.

Being a Christian is not just about knowing scripture, yes. The second part is being able to interpret and share it.

Baxter said:
Being a Christian is not just about knowing scripture, yes.

Nope, you're right, but the bible is the basis of the Christian faith. So it would only serve to suffice their needs to be familiar with it's content.

The second part is being able to interpret and share it.

Maybe share it, but it is not up for interpretation. It is supposed to be the word of god.

kal-el said:
Nope, you're right, but the bible is the basis of the Christian faith. So it would only serve to suffice their needs to be familiar with it's content.

Maybe share it, but it is not up for interpretation. It is supposed to be the word of god.

But the word of God is often figurative, meaning we should have to interpret it.

Baxter said:
But the word of God is often figurative, meaning we should have to interpret it.

Of course, why didn't I think of that.:doh This "god" fellow didn't commit any of the artocities that he grandstanded about in the bible, it's all meant figuratively.:lol: Wow, I heard Christians claim alot of frivolous, unfettered entreaty's, but this one takes the cake.

Is this going to go around in circles for the rest of the evening, because I could be eating ice cream.

Baxter said:
Is this going to go around in circles for the rest of the evening, because I could be eating ice cream.

Yes, I see I am losing your attention, o well, it's hard to keep a mental midget occupied.:lol:

it's hard to keep a mental midget occupied/

That was an unnecessary insult. I deserve the same amount of respect as anyone else. Now why would you say that when I have not insulted you?

Baxter said:
That was an unnecessary insult. I deserve the same amount of respect as anyone else. Now why would you say that when I have not insulted you?

Relax bo-jangles, I was only kidding, hence the :lol: .

Well now you have to tell me what bo-jangles is...

Back
Top Bottom