• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are blue states increasingly becoming sanctuary states as G.OP. & SCOTUS "talibanizes"?

Is outflow of red state residents inevitable reaction to, consequence of what is described in OP?

• There is no telling whether outflow will occur because of intense indoctrination on poorly educated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Where is people fleeing red states?

Show me a blue state with a high manufacturing base, low cost of living and low crime and I will move to that blue state this week

For most manufacturing, I recommend moving to China...

Nobody is fleeing stop the hyper partisan crap..

Most moves to north Texas are purely economic from what my real estate friends tell me... Of course, that sucks if you are a native Texan looking for buy or rent, these buyers are cashing out and buying all cash here.. As a property owner though, I welcome the massive appreciation in home prices... Property taxes suck though..

In general, for blue states with rust belt cities, if you can avoid living in a highly segregated, poverty ridden ghetto, and I suspect we all can, it's not any more likely you will be a victim of crime than if you live in a red state.

Truth be told, both Clinton and Obama sought to work across the aisle. Clinton, for better or worse, was fairly successful in passing basically Republican laws. Obama, on the other hand, was rebuffed as a political strategy, to defeat him and the Democrats. Nothing exhibited this more clearly than McConnell taking two Supreme Court seats that should have gone to Democrats.

Other than the hysterical overreaction by the right, Clinton would have been a reasonable president. Most American voters thought so, but the electoral college had other ideas.

So now the GOP, exploiting gerrymandering, the set-up of the senate and the electoral college are delivering to America a right-wing or burn-it-to-the-ground philosophy.

Look around Roe. It's a fairly decent compromise. It gives women the right to chose abortions but allows states to curtail that right to such a degree that it barely exists in their states..

But that wasn't good enough for the right-wing. They have to have it all.

So here we are.

Now the party
SCOTUS seats belong to the people not political parties. Or um two wrongs do not make a right. It hardly matters what faction controls SCOTUS, corruption is corruption.

Maybe not so safe.

I would caution against judging a state's safety standards based on one incident.

In this case, though, it's seems more a question of police reform than crime.

SCOTUS seats belong to the people not political parties. Or um two wrongs do not make a right. It hardly matters what faction controls SCOTUS, corruption is corruption.

Political party affiliation is what gets a judge there. The taking of those seats were acts of corruption.

Most moves to north Texas are purely economic from what my real estate friends tell me... Of course, that sucks if you are a native Texan looking for buy or rent, these buyers are cashing out and buying all cash here.. As a property owner though, I welcome the massive appreciation in home prices... Property taxes suck though..
Most of the Texans that I see come over the border want weed these days.

As far as property tax; I know some people who moved to Texas for lower property tax. They did not stay long though.

Most of the Texans that I see come over the border want weed these days.

As far as property tax; I know some people who moved to Texas for lower property tax. They did not stay long though.

I am paying over $10,000 a year in property taxes now... That's just property taxes... It's not unusual at all for someone living in the DFW to pay over $200/month on tolls alone...

Maybe not so safe.

Make a trip to the Twin Cities, its one of the cleanest, prettiest, most livable, and outside of a couple of zip codes, safest major cities in America. The state's schools are top notch. It's a high income state. Minnesota's homicide rate is half that of Texas. Not only that, it's a beautiful state. The North Shore of Lake Superior would rival any coastline in the world in terms of beauty. The downside of course are the winters. Beautiful summers and brutal winters.

IMG_0935.jpg

North Shore of Superior in Northern Minnesota (I took this pic when we were up there last summer, we make a trip up the Great Lakes every summer)

Last edited:
I go by the job boards in my industry, Minnesota is not too bad, but the rest of the blue states is not.

When I was living out west screwing around in Wyoming, Idaho and in South West Colorado ( not many industrial manufacturing jobs, just coal and oil ) my goal was to settle down in Washington state but then by talking to head hunters and looking at the job boards they were only paying around $25 to $35 an hour for what I do, I can make the same in the south east, And cheaper cost of living.
Seattle is extremely expensive. Anywhere that you have tons of IT jobs, the cost of living will typically be high because those jobs are highly salaried and they will bid up housing as they compete for it.

Personally, I think the best quality of life/job opportunities/cost of living balance is in places like Kansas City and Minneapolis, and if someone wants a little smaller city, Omaha. That said, Tennessee is beautiful and no state income tax.

I am paying over $10,000 a year in property taxes now... That's just property taxes... It's not unusual at all for someone living in the DFW to pay over $200/month on tolls alone...
10k a year in property taxes? That is insane. I don't understand anyone preferring property taxes over income taxes. I would rather the government tax my income and just leave me alone after that.

10k a year in property taxes? That is insane. I don't understand anyone preferring property taxes over income taxes. I would rather the government tax my income and just leave me alone after that.

There are plenty in north Texas paying much, much more... Remember Trump and his SALT deduction revisions? The thing about property taxes, they don't stop as your income goes down... Retiring in north Texas, those property taxes don't go away... At 65, you get an additional $10K exempted but $10K on a $750K isn't going to make a huge difference in what you owe every year.

There are plenty in north Texas paying much, much more... Remember Trump and his SALT deduction revisions? The thing about property taxes, they don't stop as your income goes down... Retiring in north Texas, those property taxes don't go away... At 65, you get an additional $10K exempted but $10K on a $750K isn't going to make a huge difference in what you owe every year.

Where are you getting those ridiculous (bolded above) numbers?

The average tax on single-family homes in the U.S. in 2021 increased 1.8% from $3,719 in 2020 to $3,785 in 2021, according to ATTOM data.

Specifically, in the North Texas area, Collin County homeowners paid the largest in property taxes in 2021 at $7,107.

While the North Texas property taxes are below what homeowners in other markets paid in 2021, homeowners in the area can expect higher taxes in 2022 since these rates are lagging compared to homes' values.

Where are you getting those ridiculous (bolded above) numbers?

Have you looked at your assessment for THIS year?

McClure said existing values for single-family residential properties in Denton County are expected to climb about 25% on average. She said the median home price in the county has increased from $345,000 last year to $420,000 this year.

"This is an unprecedented market appreciation year over year for the county," McClure said.

All Texas county appraisal districts, by law, must appraise property at the market value every year as of Jan. 1. Denton CAD said they determine market value using state regulations and the real estate market.

McClure encouraged property owners to file for a homestead exemption to take advantage of the 10% cap on the amount the assessed value can increase in one year. The exemption also provides property owners with a $25,000 exemption on taxes imposed by school districts.

Have you looked at your assessment for THIS year?

McClure said existing values for single-family residential properties in Denton County are expected to climb about 25% on average. She said the median home price in the county has increased from $345,000 last year to $420,000 this year.

"This is an unprecedented market appreciation year over year for the county," McClure said.

All Texas county appraisal districts, by law, must appraise property at the market value every year as of Jan. 1. Denton CAD said they determine market value using state regulations and the real estate market.

McClure encouraged property owners to file for a homestead exemption to take advantage of the 10% cap on the amount the assessed value can increase in one year. The exemption also provides property owners with a $25,000 exemption on taxes imposed by school districts.

OK, but the cost of living (and housing) in Dallas or Austin, TX is lower than that of major cities in CA. BTW, housing price inflation is not limited to Texas.

I love the theory, absolute bullshit hyper-partisan theory, but theory nonetheless that we have been proceeding along this straight path with few changes or events and all of a sudden conservatism turned towards the Christian Taliban for no reason.

Now, do not pretend for a second that I look at where today's GOP is at as warranted or supported by me.

But I think we should dispense with some silly idea that our duopoly of a political system has not been largely broken and increasingly worthless going back to the days of ole womanizing Bill Clinton as President dealing with ironically womanizing Newt Gingrich as Speaker of the House.

Each iteration of the political pendulum going back and forth between Republicans and Democrats for President and control of Congress has been a continual series of one upping the previous lot in doing things the other vehemently opposes. That 'we are right' and 'you are wrong' with us or against us mentality is mature enough that it is asinine, absolute stupidity in the making, to not see red and blue states become further entrenched in being red or blue with only a handful of exceptions district to district then state to state.

You geniuses think Bush 43 was a really a unifier? Or that Obama was? Or that CheetoVonBannedTweeto was? Each President made it more possible for the next, each control over Congress made is possible for the next flip.

Elections have consequences and by the time 'grab em by the *****' Trump got in office he was able to pull off 3 nominations to seated Supreme Court Justices and now you question how we ended up here?

Could have been a better candidate running against Trump but hell no, Hillary was the alternative with all that baggage and all her fake liberalism.

Our divisions are now so deep and so impossible to mend that we will see at least 18-20 states stay solidly Red for at least the next 2-3 generations with another 16-18 states stay solidly blue for the same timeframe if not longer.

Swing districts to a few swing states have always made the difference except now the 'us vs. them' mentality ironically places the onus on independents and moderates that cannot stand party extremism anymore than party extremism can stand anyone else.

We did this, entirely, because we allowed two front running parties to get so out of control... so 50% + 1... we can see not just state to state divisions but eventually we will see entire economic models established around ideological lines. Oh wait, we are doing that already too.

Wake the **** up people, and quit pretending one party is all noble and the other is the ass crack of politics. Turns out party politics, ideological extremism, made both of these establishments the ass cracks of society.
Good post. The two parties, with the assistance of whatever media is sympathetic to/controlled by them, have successfully divided the population into us v them for their mutual survival and profit.

So is there a solution, beyond watching partisanship destroy the nation from within (and with the willing consent of the citizenry)? Not sure what it will take for critical mass to be reached (i.e. for enough people on both sides to reject the partisan rancor).

OK, but the cost of living (and housing) in Dallas or Austin, TX is lower than that of major cities in CA. BTW, housing price inflation is not limited to Texas.

Wages and the minimum wage are also higher in CA. Last time i was aware TX state minimum wage was 7.50 an hou

Not something to be proud of

Wages and the minimum wage are also higher in CA. Last time i was aware TX state minimum wage was 7.50 an hou

Not something to be proud of

Rest assured that the “fleeing wealth” is not about entry level workers relocating.

Good post. The two parties, with the assistance of whatever media is sympathetic to/controlled by them, have successfully divided the population into us v them for their mutual survival and profit.

So is there a solution, beyond watching partisanship destroy the nation from within (and with the willing consent of the citizenry)? Not sure what it will take for critical mass to be reached (i.e. for enough people on both sides to reject the partisan rancor).

It is a tall order, but we have to disable the two party system and the grip they have on various media outlets.

I can tell you why Texas did not opt for expanded Medicaid. While it sounds like a great deal to get $9 in “free” federal aid for spending $1 in additional state aid, that $1 in additional state aid must be paid for.

Since Texas lacks a state income tax, it must raise sales and/or property taxes in order to get that additional revenue. Sales and/or property tax increases would penalize (place additional tax burdens on) the most poor in order to give that additional aid to the less poor.
How much property do the poor own?

How much property do the poor own?

Who do you suppose provides the funds used to pay a landlord’s property tax bill(s)? Yep, their tenants do.

The poor spend a larger portion of their (meager) incomes on rent (which more than covers their landlord’s property tax bill) excise, and sales taxes than the rich do.

Back
Top Bottom