• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Apparently the Washington Post thinks that injured troops are a joke.

galenrox said:
It's really sad that I have to honestly ask you this question, but I do. Have you ever read a newspaper? There are 6-8 of these in just about every newspaper. Even student newsletters have 1 or 2. There are so many of them, and according to your definition calling this one propaganda doesn't seperate this one from any of the others. They're political cartoons because they satire what's going on in politics. Thus they mock someone, a group of people, or a certain thing we're doing, not doing, plannning on doing, or planning on not doing as a nation. Thus it's obvious that, to mock something, what you're saying will undoubtedly be interpreted as in opposition to what you're mocking. It's a frickin cartoon, and you calling it propaganda is a very clear indication of the strength (or lack thereof) of your argument.

But limbless troops is NOTHING TO JOKE ABOUT! Would you like it if someone made jokes about your (assumed) sister having some of her joints being blown off in a gas leak at school? This is basically what Trajan is voicing his opinion about. You don't make fun of crippled people. Especially when they've become crippled to fight for our (and other's) freedoms.

OMG- I can't believe that there was a picture making light of a limbless soldier and people can actually defend that guy who drew it. I have a great sense of humor myself , if I do say so, but there is nothing funny about a soldier who sacrifices himself for his country and loses his limbs.
Now I am also all for free speech and if you don't like it don't look at it, but I think this kind of crap draws the line. Sure we were fooled into an empty war, but to make fun of the soldiers on the front line who are actually putting themselves in harms way everyday is just bullshit!

Mikkel said:
Sorry to butt in again, but I can't let this one slide. Please, if you would, list some of the 'facts' that trajan has provided for us, aside from the fact that said cartoon exists.

The only stuff I've been reading is opinion and rhetoric (on both sides). Don't pull out the 'F' card unless you really mean it.

Ha ha ha, Mikkel, I was wondering the same thing. What FACTS?

galenrox said:
lol, right, him getting indignant can really be equated with handing people their behinds.
He's perfectly able to speak. This thread is still here, but he's talking about pointless petty stories because he found out there was a new talking point, and it focuses away from everything that's actually important because right now the republicans are losing on everything that's important.

You mean like the Executive branch, Legislative Branch, and now the Judicial branch of governments, or were you referring to some other loss?:confused:

This is simply something you don't want to hear, but hey, that's tough sir, he has every right to be pissed at this mans cartoon, and the paper that printed it!

Donkey1499 said:
But limbless troops is NOTHING TO JOKE ABOUT! Would you like it if someone made jokes about your (assumed) sister having some of her joints being blown off in a gas leak at school? This is basically what Trajan is voicing his opinion about. You don't make fun of crippled people. Especially when they've become crippled to fight for our (and other's) freedoms.

Donkey, shall I remind you that our president at a dinner gathering made jokes about not being able to find weapons of mass destruction? He showed pictures of him looking for WMDS in the Oval Office and would say, "They gotta be around here somewhere." So while soldiers are getting limbs blown off and dying as a result of Bush sending them over there because Iraq had WMDs, Bush is having a grand ol' time making fun of the fact that no WMDs had been found. Nice. Nice job there, Mr. President.

Donkey1499 said:

Donkey, shall I remind you that our president at a dinner gathering made jokes about not being able to find weapons of mass destruction? He showed pictures of him looking for WMDS in the Oval Office and would say, "They gotta be around here somewhere." So while soldiers are getting limbs blown off and dying as a result of Bush sending them over there because Iraq had WMDs, Bush is having a grand ol' time making fun of the fact that no WMDs had been found. Nice. Nice job there, Mr. President.

galenrox said:
lol, right, him getting indignant can really be equated with handing people their behinds.
He's perfectly able to speak. This thread is still here, but he's talking about pointless petty stories because he found out there was a new talking point, and it focuses away from everything that's actually important because right now the republicans are losing on everything that's important.

Ok, what if Trajan had brought up a cartoon that called Al Sharpton "a smelly ni**er"? And let's say this cartoon appeared in a conservative paper (which are few) and Trajan was actually against it (which I hope he would hate a racist cartoon like that). Wouldn't you then be on Trajan's side?

The cartoon that Trajan has posted on here makes fun of crippled soldiers. Now, if a conservative paper was making fun of crippled soldiers or any other crippled people for that matter are you saying that you wouldn't join in with his concern? Would you really let something like that happen? But because it is from a paper you most likely agree with, and it comes from a cartoonist that you also most likely agree with, then you're saying that Trajan is in the wrong? I thought libs are supposed to look out for others? But because it's about crippled soldiers that carry out Bush's "evil plans" you don't care if it pokes fun. Look outside the box and see the real issue!

aps said:

And it was a dumbass thing to say but this is a totally different situation Bush was making fun of himself, I don't care if this guy is against the war or makes cartoons to that effect just keep the troops out of it.

aps said:

And that too is inappropriate, if true, but he didn't publish it for millions to see either, so there is a slight difference, but indeed both are inappropriate. You're a big girl, admit the same, two wrongs do not make a right.

aps said:

That is so not funny! I haven't heard about that. When was it? Do you have a link or any of those pics?

aps said:

You're still missing the point of this thread. Bush made fun of HIMSELF! This "cartoonist" was making fun of CRIPPLED TROOPS. Can't you see the difference? Or are your liberal ideals blocking your vision?

galenrox said:

And those too are propaganda, what's your point? That's not the issue the issue is that this cartoon made light of a very serious situation, depictions of injured troops should not be made light of or used as propaganda.

Deegan said:
And that too is inappropriate, if true, but he didn't publish it for millions to see either, so there is a slight difference, but indeed both are inappropriate. You're a big girl, admit the same, two wrongs do not make a right.

I personally am not offended by the cartoon, but I could see how it could be offensive to others. I am guessing that Toles will apologize.

galenrox said:
Are you joking? This doesn't make light of limbless soldiers at all! It's pointing out that the Bush administration doesn't care about the soldiers. The only person being parodied here was Donald Rumsfeld. Please, tell me how mocking someone for not taking injuries seriously is making light of soldiers losing their limbs?

And your example is based on the assumption that conservatives being realistic is an idea that many would take seriously enough to make it seem like a legitimate news piece. But yes, even if the cartoon was like that, it still would be a pointless thing to be complaining about, and I would point that out in that situation.

The Joint Chiefs already did that:

A Reprehensible Cartoon

Thursday, February 2, 2006; A20

We were extremely disappointed to see the Jan. 29 editorial cartoon by Tom Toles.

Using the likeness of a service member who has lost his arms and legs in war as the central theme of a cartoon was beyond tasteless. Editorial cartoons are often designed to exaggerate issues, and The Post is obviously free to address any topic, including the state of readiness of the armed forces. However, The Post and Mr. Toles have done a disservice to readers and to The Post's reputation by using such a callous depiction of those who volunteered to defend this nation and, as a result, suffered traumatic and life-altering wounds.

Those who visit wounded veterans in hospitals have found lives profoundly changed by pain and loss. They also have found brave men and women with a sense of purpose and selfless commitment that causes battle-hardened warriors to pause.

While The Post and some of its readers may not agree with the war or its conduct, these men and women and their families are owed the decency of not having a cartoon make light of their tremendous physical sacrifices.

As the joint chiefs, we rarely put

our hand to one letter, but we cannot let this reprehensible cartoon go unanswered.

PETER PACE

General, U.S. Marine Corps

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

EDMUND P. GIAMBASTIANI JR.

Admiral, U.S. Navy

Vice Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff

MICHAEL W. HAGEE

General, U.S. Marine Corps

Commandant of the Marine Corps

PETER J. SCHOOMAKER

General, U.S. Army

Chief of Staff

MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Admiral, U.S. Navy

Chief of Naval Operations

T. MICHAEL MOSELEY

General, U.S. Air Force

Chief of Staff

Washington

galenrox said:
Are you joking? This doesn't make light of limbless soldiers at all! It's pointing out that the Bush administration doesn't care about the soldiers. The only person being parodied here was Donald Rumsfeld. Please, tell me how mocking someone for not taking injuries seriously is making light of soldiers losing their limbs?

And your example is based on the assumption that conservatives being realistic is an idea that many would take seriously enough to make it seem like a legitimate news piece. But yes, even if the cartoon was like that, it still would be a pointless thing to be complaining about, and I would point that out in that situation.

I feel like I'm debating with slug here. Look at Trajan's above mine. If you don't get it after that, than all other debating with you in this thread is futile.

aps said:
I personally am not offended by the cartoon, but I could see how it could be offensive to others. I am guessing that Toles will apologize.

I should hope he would get some complaints about the cartoon, but somehow I don't see him apologizing. I am surprised that you are not offended in the slightest, but if that is how you feel........you are a self proclaimed "tough chick";)

The cartoon is outrageous and the Clowns that published did apologize but it is and empty apology just like "Hanoi" Jane Fondas was.............Vietnam vets will never accept her apology and our military should never accept this hollow one........

People need to be held accountable for their outrageous behavior.....

Donkey1499 said:
You're still missing the point of this thread. Bush made fun of HIMSELF! This "cartoonist" was making fun of CRIPPLED TROOPS. Can't you see the difference? Or are your liberal ideals blocking your vision?

How exactly did the cartoonist make fun of crippled troops? Did he imply that it was funny or good that the soldier was crippled? No. In fact he did just the opposite, by implying that RUMSFELD felt it was ok.

There's nothing offensive about this cartoon. You people just have a knee-jerk opposition to the inclusion of a limbless soldier in an anti-war cartoon. If the limbless soldier was in a pro-war cartoon, you'd be praising the cartoonist for recognizing the selfless sacrifice of our brave troops.

galenrox said:

Come on Galen put aside your blind partianship for just one minute, there is enough blame to go around.............Where is your outrage against the imcompetent Mayor and Governor?

galenrox said:
yeah, good luck on continuing to pretend that 2005 never happened. Maybe you can convince people that we just skipped it! No, Bush didn't **** up Katrina, no, Bush's approval ratings never dropped into the 30's (although this also goes into 2006, so I guess we'll keep waiting until we reach a time when we start acknowledging what's going on). So yeah, there was never a time when the majority of people said that Bush should be impeached if he did something that he's openly admitted to doing. It's not like the approval of the war has dropped into the 30's, and it's not like Bush's social security plan failed miserably. Right?

I really do feel sorry for you. In fact, I pity you. The left has done a grand job in blinding you from reality. If you really think that the Katrina disaster was Bush's fault, then there is no hope for you. How can anyone who talks like that be taken seriously? They can't, because it is BS. Pure and simple.

aps said:

And let's not forget Bush making light of the 9/11 victims. In 2000 Bush campaigned on a platform of never using deficit spending, except in the case of war, recession, or emergency. Shortly after 9/11 he was asked by a reporter if he would use deficit spending. His response: "Lucky me, I hit the trifecta" with a big smirk on his face.

That's right, he made a joke about the victims of 9/11 furthering his political agenda.

Kandahar said:
How exactly did the cartoonist make fun of crippled troops? Did he imply that it was funny or good that the soldier was crippled? No. In fact he did just the opposite, by implying that RUMSFELD felt it was ok.

There's nothing offensive about this cartoon. You people just have a knee-jerk opposition to the inclusion of a limbless soldier in an anti-war cartoon. If the limbless soldier was in a pro-war cartoon, you'd be praising the cartoonist for recognizing the selfless sacrifice of our brave troops.

But Rumsfeld doesn't feel that way. It's just a retarded assumption. Has Rumsfeld ever said that he doesn't care about crippled soldiers? No.

galenrox said:
Really? Is that what's supposed to be about? It's not about saying in a sarcastic tone that Rumsfeld isn't taking soldiers lives seriously enough? It's not all of you deliberately not getting the joke so you can have something to feel indignant about?

Gimme a break it's a cartoon intended to amuse the reader, whether or not the soldier is the focus of the ridicule is irrelevent, the issue is that the depiction of a limbless troop was placed into a comical scenario in the first place. Spin it any way you like the cartoonist made light of a very serious issue. A wounded soldier is not a joking matter regardless if they are the subject of ridicule or not.

Donkey1499 said:
But Rumsfeld doesn't feel that way. It's just a retarded assumption. Has Rumsfeld ever said that he doesn't care about crippled soldiers? No.

Well see, that's why it's on the OPINION page. It's the cartoonist's OPINION that Rumsfeld feels that way. Whether or not you agree with that assessment, doesn't change the fact that the joke in the cartoon was not making fun of the soldier in any way.

Back
Top Bottom