• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Apparently the Washington Post thinks that injured troops are a joke.

cherokee

Devil Dog
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,486
Reaction score
789
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
galenrox said:
Man, why do you go SO far to find things that offend you?
If you're really offended, I've got a suggestion, don't read the Washington Post. This thread is a waste of time and space. Unless we're gonna declare war on tasteless comic strips, what's the point of this?
It offends me because it offends the troops! A letter from the Joint Chiefs of Staff:

A Reprehensible Cartoon

Thursday, February 2, 2006; A20



We were extremely disappointed to see the Jan. 29 editorial cartoon by Tom Toles.

Using the likeness of a service member who has lost his arms and legs in war as the central theme of a cartoon was beyond tasteless. Editorial cartoons are often designed to exaggerate issues, and The Post is obviously free to address any topic, including the state of readiness of the armed forces. However, The Post and Mr. Toles have done a disservice to readers and to The Post's reputation by using such a callous depiction of those who volunteered to defend this nation and, as a result, suffered traumatic and life-altering wounds.

Those who visit wounded veterans in hospitals have found lives profoundly changed by pain and loss. They also have found brave men and women with a sense of purpose and selfless commitment that causes battle-hardened warriors to pause.

While The Post and some of its readers may not agree with the war or its conduct, these men and women and their families are owed the decency of not having a cartoon make light of their tremendous physical sacrifices.

As the joint chiefs, we rarely put

our hand to one letter, but we cannot let this reprehensible cartoon go unanswered.

PETER PACE


General, U.S. Marine Corps


Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff


EDMUND P. GIAMBASTIANI JR.


Admiral, U.S. Navy

Vice Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff


MICHAEL W. HAGEE


General, U.S. Marine Corps

Commandant of the Marine Corps


PETER J. SCHOOMAKER


General, U.S. Army

Chief of Staff


MICHAEL G. MULLEN


Admiral, U.S. Navy


Chief of Naval Operations


T. MICHAEL MOSELEY


General, U.S. Air Force

Chief of Staff


Washington
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/01/AR2006020102098_pf.html
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Apparently the Washington Post thinks that limbless troops are props to be used in their anti-war campaign as is clearly demonstrated in this editorial cartoon this should make any American sick:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...l?name=Toles&date=01292006&referrer=emaillink
That cartoon is great. I'm gonna email it to several people right now. If you're offended by it then don't read the Washington Post. Or maybe you should just lighten up and remove the stick from your rectum.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
It is the Washington Post, after all.

Why do you boost their circulation figures by going there?
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kandahar said:
That cartoon is great. I'm gonna email it to several people right now. If you're offended by it then don't read the Washington Post. Or maybe you should just lighten up and remove the stick from your rectum.
Well maybe you think that life altering wounds are funny and fair game to be used for political propoganda but I don't. That says alot about you.
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
I love Tom Toles!
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Well maybe you think that life altering wounds are funny and fair game to be used for political propoganda but I don't. That says alot about you.
Yep, it's quite funny.

I hear there are some protests against political cartoons in the Muslim world these days; maybe you can go join them.
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kandahar said:
Yep, it's quite funny.

I hear there are some protests against political cartoons in the Muslim world these days; maybe you can go join them.
You honestly believe that soldiers having their arms and legs amputated is a situation that should be made light of? WTF is the matter with you people???!!!
 

Mikkel

Pragmatist
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
489
Reaction score
0
Location
Cleveland, OH
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Come on, it's a comic strip. Not only that, it's a POLITICAL comic strip. In all honesty, when was the last time you saw a tasteful political comic strip? I don't think it was entirely innapropriate for its medium.

Next you'll be telling us not to listen to that 'Rock 'n Roll' those blasted kids are listening to.
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
galenrox said:
Dude, this is another topic when you're blowing **** WAY out of proportion and distracting from the real issues. You've been losing debates on the war, the wire-tapping, and just about every other relevent issue, and so instead you're posting this and saying "But LOOK! Liberals hate the troops!". This is quite simply a proposterous thread, and may I note that it is somewhat dismaying how many times I've had to use "proposterous" in response to some point you're trying to make.
I haven't lost one debate the only thing you people do is post fallacious ignorant posts without any basis in facts, your stuff belongs at the DU not in a serious political debate. I haven't seen you post anything accept your own opinion since I've been here, you post the same old hate-Bush bullshit and then claim victory, well good for you.
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
You honestly believe that soldiers having their arms and legs amputated is a situation that should be made light of?
I really don't give a ****. It doesn't offend me in the least.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
WTF is the matter with you people???!!!
I have this crazy idea that the press should be free. If you disagree, you're in good company with millions of Muslims around the world. They're burning Danish and Norweigian flags in Pakistan now, to protest freedom of the press; maybe you can take some American flags and join in the fun.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
galenrox said:
Dude, this is another topic when you're blowing **** WAY out of proportion and distracting from the real issues. You've been losing debates on the war, the wire-tapping, and just about every other relevent issue, and so instead you're posting this and saying "But LOOK! Liberals hate the troops!". This is quite simply a proposterous thread, and may I note that it is somewhat dismaying how many times I've had to use "proposterous" in response to some point you're trying to make.
I disagree, I too am disgusted by this, and why should this man not be able to express his disgust as well. We have many, many threads here I find ridiculous, but I just avoid those, why should this one be any different?:confused:


That said, he has a right to create such cartoons, and we have the right to not buy this rag, which I do not, and would urge others not to as well!
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Mikkel said:
Come on, it's a comic strip. Not only that, it's a POLITICAL comic strip. In all honesty, when was the last time you saw a tasteful political comic strip? I don't think it was entirely innapropriate for its medium.

Next you'll be telling us not to listen to that 'Rock 'n Roll' those blasted kids are listening to.
Oh I see so you think troops being injured defending this nation and having ir-reversible traumatic injuries that will effect them for the rest of their lives is a situation which is fair game for political propoganda and one which should be made light of.
 

Mikkel

Pragmatist
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
489
Reaction score
0
Location
Cleveland, OH
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I haven't lost one debate the only thing you people do is post fallacious ignorant posts without any basis in facts, your stuff belongs at the DU not in a serious political debate. I haven't seen you post anything accept your own opinion since I've been here, you post the same old hate-Bush bullshit and then claim victory, well good for you.
I haven't lost one debate the only thing you do is post fallacious ignorant posts without any basis in facts, your stuff belongs at the RNC not in a serious political debate. I haven't seen you post anything except your own opinion since I've been here, you post the same old love-Bush bullshit and then claim victory, well good for you.


Pure rhetoric.
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kandahar said:
I really don't give a ****. It doesn't offend me in the least.
Well that says alot about you.

I have this crazy idea that the press should be free. If you disagree, you're in good company with millions of Muslims around the world. They're burning Danish and Norweigian flags in Pakistan now, to protest freedom of the press; maybe you can take some American flags and join in the fun.
Yes the press is free and should remain so, but I'm free too, and I'm free to say that the guy who made this cartoon is a ****ing piece of sh!t who should have his balls placed on a concrete block and then slammed with a sledge hammer.
 

Mikkel

Pragmatist
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
489
Reaction score
0
Location
Cleveland, OH
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Oh I see so you think troops being injured defending this nation and having ir-reversible traumatic injuries that will effect them for the rest of their lives is a situation which is fair game for political propoganda and one which should be made light of.
I didn't say that, and you are a moron for assuming so. I'm simply saying that it is not unheard of, for cartoonists on either side of the political spectrum to cross the line you've arbitrarily drawn.
 

cherokee

Devil Dog
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,486
Reaction score
789
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I’m all for free speech but the cartoon is disrespectful to soldiers who are living in this very nightmare. I know my first post was some what harsh but what the hell does Tim know about being in combat, what the hell does he know about being wounded?
No matter what you see in Hollywood it’s not a romantic game.

You want political propaganda fine. Just don’t use the troops. Right or wrong they are just following orders. They are the ones being shot at not dear ole Tim who is safe in his house.

Rummy is a dumb a$$, just find another way of showing it…
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
galenrox said:
Cause it's just a frickin talking point, this is supposed to be a place where thought is important, not a place to just post talking points and claiming that any information contradictory to the talking point is false.
I agree that it's in poor taste, but so what? People are dying, drifiting into poverty, starving to death, etc. every day, and we're dead seriously paying attention to a frickin comic strip?
This forum is filthy with "talking points" Galen, you must have a better reason then that to be so upset by this thread?

I think he is asking a good question, do you think that some of these cartoons cross the line, you say no, we say yes, let's just have the discussion shall we?
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Mikkel said:
I didn't say that,
That's exactly what you said and I quote:

I don't think it was entirely innapropriate for its medium.
Or in other words you think that: "troops being injured defending this nation and having ir-reversible traumatic injuries that will effect them for the rest of their lives is a situation which is fair game for political propoganda and one which should be made light of."
 
Last edited:

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Yes the press is free and should remain so, but I'm free too, and I'm free to say that the guy who made this cartoon is a ****ing piece of sh!t who should have his balls placed on a concrete block and then slammed with a sledge hammer.
Like I said, you're in good company. I'm sure lots of Muslims would agree with you. Maybe you can cut a deal with them: They'll slam this guy's balls with a sledgehammer, if you blow up Jyllands-Posten and/or kill Salman Rushdie.

You are such an idiot, I can't believe I once thought you were one of the more intelligent conservatives on this forum. :confused:
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
What's worse?

(1) Tom Toles's cartoon from Sunday

or

(2) George Bush showing pictures of himself looking around the Oval Office for Weapons of Mass Destruction saying, "They have to be around here somewhere."

I'd say 2.
 

Mikkel

Pragmatist
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
489
Reaction score
0
Location
Cleveland, OH
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
That's exactly what you said and I quote:
Right, and here's what you said:

"Oh I see so you think troops being injured defending this nation and having ir-reversible traumatic injuries that will effect them for the rest of their lives is a situation which is fair game for political propoganda and one which should be made light of."

I don't think it's being made light of at all, nor is it propaganda in the traditional sense of the term. I was pointing out that you're going ape**** over something that is quite common in the media/cartooning world.

It's like me going into a coffee shop and starting to scream at the top of my lungs because I think they're charging too much. People would think I was a raving lunatic, which is exactly the position half of the people in this thread are in.

Save your breath for when it really counts.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Kandahar said:
Like I said, you're in good company. I'm sure lots of Muslims would agree with you. Maybe you can cut a deal with them: They'll slam this guy's balls with a sledgehammer, if you blow up Jyllands-Posten and/or kill Salman Rushdie.

You are such an idiot, I can't believe I once thought you were one of the more intelligent conservatives on this forum. :confused:
It would seem that it is the defenders of this cartoonist that are the problem in this thread, try having a little respect sir.:roll:

Now I suppose a good thread will end up in the basement, I don't go there, thanks guys!
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Mikkel said:
I don't think it's being made light of at all, nor is it propaganda in the traditional sense of the term. I was pointing out that you're going ape**** over something that is quite common in the media/cartooning world.

.
So you think an anti-war cartoon is neither making light of a situation nor political propoganda in the traditional sense of the term?

That's exactly what it is doing and what it is there is no other way of defining it.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom