• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Apparently the Washington Post thinks that injured troops are a joke.

Kelzie said:
If you could point out in that letter where the joint chief of staff said the cartoonist was mocking the troops, I would appreciate it.

Here is and excerpt from the letter kelzie:

We were extremely disappointed to see the editorial cartoon by Tom Toles on page B6 in the January 29th edition. Using the likeness of a service member who has lost his arms and legs in war as the central theme of a cartoon is beyond tasteless. Editorial cartoons are often designed to exaggerate issues--and your paper is obviously free to address any topic, including the state of readiness of today's Armed Forces. However, we believe you and Mr. Toles have done a disservice to your readers and your paper's reputation by using such a callous depiction of those who have volunteered to defened this nation, and as a result, have suffered traumatic and life-altering wounds...
...While you or some of your readers may not agree with the war or its conduct, we believe you owe the men and women and their families who so selflessly serve our country the decency to not make light of their tremendous physical sacrifices.

As the Joint Chiefs, it is rare that we all put our hand to one letter, but we cannot let this reprehensible cartoon go unanswered.

No cartoonist should use our troops for partisan political reasons be they left or right..It is outrageous......

libertarian_knight said:
You're not Jefferson.

I understand a person's need to feel they have done the right thing. It's hard to live and function knowing one has done something wrong. It's called guilt, and it can eat away at someone. SO we construct schemes, scenerios and delusions in order to escape our guilt.

You may find me not only supporting with talk a war WORTH fighting, but also fighting it. Problem is, I don't know of any war going on in this world that's worth it, especially not one the US is involved in, and ESPECIALLY Iraq. What's more, i don't see any conflict on Earth that can not be resolved by people willing to try and resolve it.

After 9-11 I strongly considered working for the CIA as an analyst and considered joining the marines or navy. Come 2002 and all the talk about Iraq, I stopped.

Then I really learned the teachings of Jesus.
BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS!

First you talk about the state and the military being immoral things and then you say you were thinking of going to work for the CIA... sure thing pal.

Whatever you say to divert attention from it the fact remains that you don't support the troops end of story.

There are few things your service members won't do for our great country. We go where no one else dares and we are proud of it. We do it for you, the American people, and you show us your support through gift pkgs while we are deployed and by keeping the American spirit alive back home. The enemy knows that they can’t beat us here and so they try to pursue you back in the states. Stay Tuff America, and thank you for all of your support! Capt B-Iraq

I'm stationed at Ft. Meade, MD. We don't have much support from people around here, and when I saw what y'all were doing I though that was very nice. And I just wanted to say Thank you all for the support.
Bryan Spikes/ SPC/ US ARMY, Waycross, Ga.

would like to thank everyone for the support. It means a lot to all of us. Even after returning from Iraq back to Germany it still hits me every time I get thanked for what we do.
Etheridge,David SGT US Army, Dyersburg, Tenn.

To everyone back home: Thank you for reminding us why we do our job. Because of you, the soldiers here understand what it means to serve a nation of grateful people. Every message counts, every thank you, and every second of your time supporting them goes a long way. We miss home, but we also understand that we have a duty and a responsibility to defend our nation and your constant support helps us drive on to the next objective. Thanks again.
Joe Claburn, US Army, Captain, Fort Campbell, Ky.

I would like to say thank you to all of you who support us, regardless of your veiw of the war. I thank you for the time you take to send packages and notes of encouragment as well as the support shown to our families at home. I am currently serving my second tour in Iraq and believe me when I say your support makes a world of diferance. Thank you
SFC Johnny Hogg US Army, Livingston

Hello, I would just like to say that I cannot thank all of the supporters enough for all that they contribute to us soldiers and our families. As a soldier, I am challenged every day with things that are sometimes hard to deal with and sometimes stressful. I look to God for strength and courage to just keep pushing forward every day and thanks to the commercials and the other forms of advertisment, I have now found a website that helps me even more, thank you again to everyone that supports us in what we do and thank you for the all you do to help.
Lafrinere E-2 1/4 CAV, Leavenworth, Kan.

There's thousands of letters just like these so don't tell me that the troops don't appreciate the support it's people like you who say that they're fighting an unjust war and the like that they don't appreciate:
http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/a...eList.aspx?SectionID=6&State=&KW=&StartPos=51

Last edited:
My God, are we still discussing this?:roll:

Some were offended, some were not, but none of this has risen to the level it has in the M.E! Freedom works both ways, they have the right to create such garbage, and the people have the right to complain about it's timing, taste, and creativity, end of story.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
First you talk about the state and the military being immoral things and then you say you were thinking of going to work for the CIA... sure thing pal.

Whatever you say to divert attention from it the fact remains that you don't support the troops end of story.

Yes, first I TALKED about things in that order. It doesn't mean they happened in my life in that order.

For example. I just went and got lunch. But before that, I fillup up my car with gasoline. That doesn't mean I didn't get lunch.

unlike this administration, I qualified my actions and stances with TIME.

I became a small-state libertarian, though I held some anarcho-capitalist seeds.
George Bush was elected.
I was happy.
9-11 happened
I thought about working for the government
I paid off my school debts and credit cards.
Iraq war build up started.
I stopped thinking about working for the government.
I started thinking about the nature of power and the state.
I became an libertarian-anarchist, and became very interested in the pre-eminent libertarian author, Murrary Rothbard.

Mind you, of course, this snippet can not explain the details of my life, as it was not inteded to do so completely. Nor for that matter, has anything actually been, in this forum, my complete autobiography.

Do not presume you can know my life, it's beyond you. Don't assume that was an insult either. That's not what it was.

libertarian_knight said:
Yes, first I TALKED about things in that order. It doesn't mean they happened in my life in that order.

For example. I just went and got lunch. But before that, I fillup up my car with gasoline. That doesn't mean I didn't get lunch.

unlike this administration, I qualified my actions and stances with TIME.

I became a small-state libertarian, though I held some anarcho-capitalist seeds.
George Bush was elected.
I was happy.
9-11 happened
I thought about working for the government
I paid off my school debts and credit cards.
Iraq war build up started.
I stopped thinking about working for the government.
I started thinking about the nature of power and the state.
I became an libertarian-anarchist, and became very interested in the pre-eminent libertarian author, Murrary Rothbard.

Mind you, of course, this snippet can not explain the details of my life, as it was not inteded to do so completely. Nor for that matter, has anything actually been, in this forum, my complete autobiography.

Do not presume you can know my life, it's beyond you. Don't assume that was an insult either. That's not what it was.

So you payed off your school loans, huh. Wanna start paying mine?:mrgreen:

Kelzie said:
So you payed off your school loans, huh. Wanna start paying mine?:mrgreen:

heh
Now, as I pointed out, that snippet was not a complete autobiography. So, even though i payed off my school loans, and consider joining the military (or CIA). I did generate more loans in persuit of my economics degree, which I am currently paying, and haven;t attained (yet) the degree. (Was going to use econ to get into the CIA). Now, I don't think they'd take me, even if I wanted a job.

So, since I am paying my laons, and because of a banner LOW couple of income years, I have regained substantial debt. Therefor, find yourself a better sugar daddy, because it's not me :)

libertarian_knight said:
heh
Now, as I pointed out, that snippet was not a complete autobiography. So, even though i payed off my school loans, and consider joining the military (or CIA). I did generate more loans in persuit of my economics degree, which I am currently paying, and haven;t attained (yet) the degree. (Was going to use econ to get into the CIA). Now, I don't think they'd take me, even if I wanted a job.

So, since I am paying my laons, and because of a banner LOW couple of income years, I have regained substantial debt. Therefor, find yourself a better sugar daddy, because it's not me :)

Damn. :lol: It was worth a try though...

Econ major huh? That's pretty kick ass. Now I know who to direct all my econ questions to since galen changed to poly sci.

libertarian_knight said:
heh

I believe the CIA tends to frown upon anarchist applicants, anywho if I don't get into law school it's GRE and State Department for me, either that, or officers school followed by Graduate school and the DOD. Decisions decisions.

And by the way what would an economics major bring to the table at the CIA? Desk job? ha

I believe the CIA tends to frown upon anarchist applicants, anywho if I don't get into law school it's GRE and State Department for me, either that, or officers school followed by Graduate school and the DOD. Decisions decisions.

And by the way what would an economics major bring to the table at the CIA? Desk job? ha

Most of the personnel in the CIA are econ majors actually.

I never alluded to being America's James Bond. That's TV fantasy.

Do any of you vigourously hating the Washington Post's Cartoon see the similarity between your protests and the hatred of the Denmark cartoons in the Muslim world?

hipsterdufus said:
Do any of you vigourously hating the Washington Post's Cartoon see the similarity between your protests and the hatred of the Denmark cartoons in the Muslim world?

No, here's my take the Muslims have every right to be upset about the cartoons, religious persecution is religious persecution and they do have the right to protest peacefull, however that's not the case instead they have resulted to violence, intimidation, and rioting. I don't see anyone here threatening to burn down the Washington Post.

Kelzie:

I can't believe the responses I'm seeing. You ask for a simple thing, and they all give you crap.

Then again, you told someone to read the thread....

Hint: If you want to see the JCS letter, go to post number 4.

The part I think you're seeking is this:

While The Post and some of its readers may not agree with the war or its conduct, these men and women and their families are owed the decency of not having a cartoon make light of their tremendous physical sacrifices.

Last edited:
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Kelzie:

I can't believe the responses I'm seeing. You ask for a simple thing, and they all give you crap.

Then again, you told someone to read the thread....

Hint: If you want to see the JCS letter, go to post number 4.

Wait, what? What did I ask for? Other than a sugar daddy...:mrgreen:

You mean proof that the JCS felt ridiculed? I wasn't expecting them to provide it. It doesn't exist.

hipsterdufus said:

Cartoon row: Danish embassy ablaze

The similarities between religious protests and military administration protests will be readily apparent as soon as the Washington post is a smoking ruin and a few nuts kill themselves doing it.

Muslim cartoon fury claims lives

British embassy with stones Wednesday, shouting "Death to Britain."

"It's hard to be loved by fools."

It should be noted that despite the origin of these offending cartoons (Denmark) Christians and non-muslims have been attacked as well.
Lebanon Christians Attacked, Church Stoned, By Angry Muslims

Ironically more muslims have been hurt or killed by the violence than anything else.

20060208.OBS2804.jpg

The babelfish translation says "its hard to be likes by idiots"

Well maybe you think that life altering wounds are funny and fair game to be used for political propoganda but I don't. That says alot about you.
Kandahar said:
Yep, it's quite funny.

I can only assume you said that to jerk Trajan's chain. Do you find it funny?

Contradiction in Arab cartoon views

Blatantly anti-Semitic literature is on sale in Cairo, just like many other Arab capitals. The BBC News website's Martin Patience reports on the apparent inconsistency in the Egyptian reaction to the Danish cartoons caricaturing the Prophet Muhammad.

This appears to be a common double standard in the middle east.

Back
Top Bottom