• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AOC was More Accurate than Deniers Wish to Accept

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
12 years she said.

“Not so long ago, I heard that we had 100 years before the Arctic would be ice free in the summer,” he said. “Then I heard 75 years, 25 years, and just recently I heard 15 years. It’s accelerating.”

Looks to be about right.

Sea of Slush: Arctic sea ice lows mark a new polar climate regime | Reuters

With climate change driving up Arctic temperatures, the once-solid sea ice cover has been shrinking to stark, new lows in recent years. This year’s minimum, still a few days from being declared, is expected to be the second-lowest expanse in four decades of record-keeping. The record low of 3.41 million square kilometers – reached in September 2012 after a late-season cyclonic storm broke up the remaining ice – is not much below what we see today.

There are times I hate being right. This is one of them.

She was also right to refer to the concentration camps on the border as concentration camps.

AOC is going to be one badass bitch once she decides if she wants to be potus or speaker.

Hopefully she doesn't get polluted by DC corruption like the rest of them.

Hopefully she doesn't get polluted by DC corruption like the rest of them.

Money and power. So we’ll see! ;) She’s off to a pretty great start though. She might just be the single best questioner in the House this side of Katie Porter.

Oh. My. God. Imagine one day voting for an AOC/Porter ticket? (don’t give a **** which one gets which position).

Money and power. So we’ll see! ;) She’s off to a pretty great start though. She might just be the single best questioner in the House this side of Katie Porter.

Oh. My. God. Imagine one day voting for an AOC/Porter ticket? (don’t give a **** which one gets which position).

I want to see her taking swings at corrupt Democrats. I will be sold on her if I see more of that.

I want to see her taking swings at corrupt Democrats. I will be sold on her if I see more of that.

She’s been pretty vocal about party establishment. Her and Pelosi have traded mean girl burns here and there.

She’s been pretty vocal about party establishment. Her and Pelosi have traded mean girl burns here and there.

My hope is that she will get more vocal when she realizes she's spinning her wheels and getting nowhere because the Democrats are not actually progressives.

My hope is that she will get more vocal when she realizes she's spinning her wheels and getting nowhere because the Democrats are not actually progressives.

I think her plan is reformation while working within the structure. she’s smart, and takes certain pages out of the GOP playbook.

But who knows. Politics grinds folks down. It’s just the nature of capitalism. There is nothing better than being rich and powerful in a crony capitalist society. I imagine it’s intoxicating.

I think her plan is reformation while working within the structure. she’s smart, and takes certain pages out of the GOP playbook.

But who knows. Politics grinds folks down. It’s just the nature of capitalism. There is nothing better than being rich and powerful in a crony capitalist society. I imagine it’s intoxicating.

You could definitely buy me off for the right amount of money. At some point I will fold to the prospect of providing incredible wealth for myself and my loved ones. I'm real big on family. For her to resist the dark side of the force she will have to be a better person than I am.

You could definitely buy me off for the right amount of money. At some point I will fold to the prospect of providing incredible wealth for myself and my loved ones. I'm real big on family. For her to resist the dark side of the force she will have to be a better person than I am.

I don’t know if she’s better or worse. Right now for someone so young her priorities and understanding of politics and the nature of power is very impressive. it’s all going to come to her in politics if she wants it, so it’s just a matter of what she wants. She’s already had such an amazing impact, and has been right about some very big news items where she got a lot of pushback. She didn’t back down. I hope she stays in politics, we need more of that. Some days I almost believe the Squad and Porter might just save our republic. Some days.

I don’t know if she’s better or worse. Right now for someone so young her priorities and understanding of politics and the nature of power is very impressive. it’s all going to come to her in politics if she wants it, so it’s just a matter of what she wants. She’s already had such an amazing impact, and has been right about some very big news items where she got a lot of pushback. She didn’t back down. I hope she stays in politics, we need more of that. Some days I almost believe the Squad and Porter might just save our republic. Some days.

She is definitely David facing the Goliath. I fear to hope that things can still be fixed from the inside. I hope people like her and Donald Trump tear their respective parties to the ground so we can build something better out of the ashes.

She is definitely David facing the Goliath. I fear to hope that things can still be fixed from the inside. I hope people like her and Donald Trump tear their respective parties to the ground so we can build something better out of the ashes.

I don’t get that comparison at all. Trump is trying to burn down the country to retain power. She’s trying to gain more power to improve the country.

I don’t get that comparison at all. Trump is trying to burn down the country to retain power. She’s trying to gain more power to improve the country.

They're both populists that are unwanted by establishment elites but tolerated to keep the loyalty of voters. They are both dangerous to people seeking to maintain power on either side. The most frustrating thing about Trump is the exact reason his base loves him so much. He thinks and talks just like they do. There hasn't been a president in modern times that has embodied their base as much as Trump does. You might think I'm crazy but I'll take a chaotic populist Trump over an establishment stooge like Cruz every time. I think we need more populists that actually seek to meet the goals of the people that voted for them.

They're both populists that are unwanted by establishment elites but tolerated to keep the loyalty of voters. They are both dangerous to people seeking to maintain power on either side. The most frustrating thing about Trump is the exact reason his base loves him so much. He thinks and talks just like they do. There hasn't been a president in modern times that has embodied their base as much as Trump does. You might think I'm crazy but I'll take a chaotic populist Trump over an establishment stooge like Cruz every time. I think we need more populists that actually seek to meet the goals of the people that voted for them.

But Trump isn’t a populist. He’s clearly using his base just to enrich himself and his family. His tax cut in 2017 wasn’t aimed at working people, it was all his rich buddies. He’s emboldened the establishment as the private sector dictated part of his covid response. I won’t even go into his covid response, which certainly does not suggest a populist approach.

Like, Carrot Top has an audience too. That doesn’t make him a populist. AOC is a legit populist. She fought against the crappy amazon deal because it would *hurt* working people, for example. Trump would never do something like that.

And boy do we disagree on why Trump is disliked. Even if you buy into the populist theory, he’s killed 200k Americans. And he was an asshole in ways dangerous and hurtful to citizens before that. People hate him cause he’s a guy who does bad things.

But Trump isn’t a populist. He’s clearly using his base just to enrich himself and his family. His tax cut in 2017 wasn’t aimed at working people, it was all his rich buddies. He’s emboldened the establishment as the private sector dictated part of his covid response. I won’t even go into his covid response, which certainly does not suggest a populist approach.

Like, Carrot Top has an audience too. That doesn’t make him a populist. AOC is a legit populist. She fought against the crappy amazon deal because it would *hurt* working people, for example. Trump would never do something like that.

And boy do we disagree on why Trump is disliked. Even if you buy into the populist theory, he’s killed 200k Americans. And he was an asshole in ways dangerous and hurtful to citizens before that. People hate him cause he’s a guy who does bad things.

I'm not saying he isn't in it for selfish reasons. You see conservatives on this very forum with the exact same mindset Trump has, and most of them have that mindset because of selfishness too. He is absolutely a populist. There are populists on the left and right. Who do you think the right wing populists are?

Obama better sell his multimillion dollar house.

Obama graduated Columbia University with honors. He then went on to graduate Magna Cum Laude at Harvard. Then he was the president, twice. He's wicked smart and has been very successful in his life. Obviously he has a nice house.

I'm not saying he isn't in it for selfish reasons. You see conservatives on this very forum with the exact same mindset Trump has, and most of them have that mindset because of selfishness too. He is absolutely a populist. There are populists on the left and right. Who do you think the right wing populists are?

Roy Moore. No idea. I don’t vote conservative, and their current extremism isn’t aimed at populism but rather a play for authoritarian power.

No idea. I don’t vote conservative

Donald Trump.

, and their current extremism isn’t aimed at populism but rather a play for authoritarian power.

What you see as extremism is the populism. That kind of **** is what the conservative masses resonate with. That's why Donald is their populist president. He is the quintessential right wing asshole. He says all of the things without considering tact. He doesn't give a ****.

They can trade all they like but Pelosi was showing signs of very serious burnout this morning.
I think dealing with the Orange Turd has begun to wear on her.
She was babbling incoherently...
Plus she HAS been hinting that she was not going to stick around much longer anyway.

AOC may be just a teensy weensy bit too far left but she's still a gem anyway.
Katie Porter on the other hand? Holy cow, that lady is a cinch for the job.

They can trade all they like but Pelosi was showing signs of very serious burnout this morning.
I think dealing with the Orange Turd has begun to wear on her.
She was babbling incoherently...
Plus she HAS been hinting that she was not going to stick around much longer anyway.

AOC may be just a teensy weensy bit too far left but she's still a gem anyway.
Katie Porter on the other hand? Holy cow, that lady is a cinch for the job.

Pelosi is an old person who is part of the problem in our system. She has to go. Cryin Chuck has to go.

Pelosi is an old person who is part of the problem in our system. She has to go. Cryin Chuck has to go.

If I had it my way you wouldn't be able to run for office if you're 60 or older. Politicians should have a stake in the future they're creating.

Oh Chuck's as worthless as tits on a bull, worse than Nancy.
I don't hate Nancy, I just think she's past her SELL BY date by more than a few years, certainly in the last two months for sure.
Chuck, on the other hand, I despise him.

If I had it my way you wouldn't be able to run for office if you're 60 or older. Politicians should have a stake in the future they're creating.

You’ve decided on an arbitrary number for a process that involves vetting on its own. I happen to think it’s a very silly position.

You’ve decided on an arbitrary number for a process that involves vetting on its own. I happen to think it’s a very silly position.

People are in decline once they reach their 60s and especially their 70s. A person's sharpest years are between 30 and 50-60. It would also go a long way towards removing entrenched corruption in the form of dinosaur politicians that have been in office longer than most of us have been alive.

Back
Top Bottom