• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AOC was More Accurate than Deniers Wish to Accept

Cute. But I didn't ask you if you believed we're seeing the creeping tendrils of Fascism in Republican politics. I was asking if you think that people who do see that should be silent.

I don't prescribe other people's behavior. I only note the dynamics different actions create.

Cute. But I didn't ask you if you believed we're seeing the creeping tendrils of Fascism in Republican politics. I was asking if you think that people who do see that should be silent.
The only creep towards fascism in America is the progressive movement, and yes real liberals
should speak up, because progressives and liberals have almost the opposite goals.
The modern progressive movement is about limiting personal freedom, not expanding it.
What you can and cannot say, (political correctness and Social justice), How and where you choose to live,
( environmentalism), defining what lifestyles are acceptable, ect.

Obama graduated Columbia University with honors. He then went on to graduate Magna Cum Laude at Harvard. Then he was the president, twice. He's wicked smart and has been very successful in his life. Obviously he has a nice house.

Fake news since the US is racist.
If Obama is that smart why did he buy ocean front property?

I don't prescribe other people's behavior. I only note the dynamics different actions create.

What dynamics do your unceasing posts to defend Trump and all his minions create (even though you're SUCH a Biden voter!)?

What dynamics do your unceasing posts to defend Trump and all his minions create (even though you're SUCH a Biden voter!)?

I doubt you can cite a single post of mine defending Trump.

The only creep towards fascism in America is the progressive movement, and yes real liberals
should speak up, because progressives and liberals have almost the opposite goals.
The modern progressive movement is about limiting personal freedom, not expanding it.
What you can and cannot say, (political correctness and Social justice), How and where you choose to live,
( environmentalism), defining what lifestyles are acceptable, ect.

Huh.

If by limiting personal freedom you're referring to the freedom to insult someone, shucks, guilty.
I don't know what you mean by liberals restricting how and where to live (environmentalism). Examples?
Defining what lifestyles are acceptable is something both side engage in, don't they? They just have different ideas of what's acceptable. The liberals concept of lifestyles is more inclusive; the conservatives concept tends to be more restrictive. I'm for freedom!

Regarding the drift to Fascism by the Republican Party, we can see that in their attacks on the rule of law, their attacks on the media as "enemies of the people," their attacks on the right to vote, their attacks on immigrants and minorities, their glorification of violence, and maybe worst of all, their attack on the truth. It's all right out of the Fascist playbook.

Former Secretary of State Madelaine Albright's 2018 book, Fascism: A Warning speaks to this dangerous trend.

I can't think of anything I'd rather not do than go through your posts here at DP.

But your opposition to climate change is right out of the conservative playbook.

Do you ever defend Biden or the Democrats? Ever?

The fact that I despise Trump does not require me to admire his opponents. My preferred candidate was Klobuchar.

Okay, that's a "no" then.

Without extending this too long, I'm curious. Do you support the government expanding access to health care? Do you think wealth inequality in America is a problem? Do you support universal background checks for gun purchases?

Thanks.

Okay, that's a "no" then.

Without extending this too long, I'm curious. Do you support the government expanding access to health care? Do you think wealth inequality in America is a problem? Do you support universal background checks for gun purchases?

Thanks.

Yes
No
Yes

Yep. People watching the science, like NASA's website, have, if anything, been behind the warming trends.

This will wreck havoc with water resources, like in Asia.
We've had so many hurricanes this year they ran out of named storms, as we are now seeing "Beta" whack the Texas coast. Alpha is out in the Atlantic somewhere, as are Wilfred and Vicky, although I believe they have all weakened substantially.

Huh.

If by limiting personal freedom you're referring to the freedom to insult someone, shucks, guilty.
I don't know what you mean by liberals restricting how and where to live (environmentalism). Examples?
Defining what lifestyles are acceptable is something both side engage in, don't they? They just have different ideas of what's acceptable. The liberals concept of lifestyles is more inclusive; the conservatives concept tends to be more restrictive. I'm for freedom!

Regarding the drift to Fascism by the Republican Party, we can see that in their attacks on the rule of law, their attacks on the media as "enemies of the people," their attacks on the right to vote, their attacks on immigrants and minorities, their glorification of violence, and maybe worst of all, their attack on the truth. It's all right out of the Fascist playbook.

Former Secretary of State Madelaine Albright's 2018 book, Fascism: A Warning speaks to this dangerous trend.

You confuse liberals and progressives
They are not the same thing!
A biased media is an enemy of the people
Unless you agree with their lean.
I do not care how people live, as long as they do not dictate how I should live,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpn might not be able to cite any but I certainly can.

Here is a thread you started where you repeatedly praised Trump's plans to turn US climate and environment policy upside down:

Trump's win will turn US climate and environment policy upside down. The US will withdraw from the Paris agreement. Coal will be back in fashion and the EPA will be restrained. All those pipelines will get built. Alternative energy will have to survive on its own in the marketplace. Oil? Drill baby, drill!

Then just a few days later you defended Trump against a "conspiracy theory" that Trump was going to damage climate science:

The warmists are spinning up an elaborate conspiracy theory about President-elect Trump. I wonder whether Stefan Lewandowsky will research their "ideation?"

And I am sure that if I wanted to I could provide numerous other examples of you directly or indirectly defending or even praising Trump.

Maybe if you had even a small amount of comprehension of what you cut and paste around here you would know what you have previously posted. But you don't.

jpn might not be able to cite any but I certainly can.

Here is a thread you started where you repeatedly praised Trump's plans to turn US climate and environment policy upside down:

Then just a few days later you defended Trump against a "conspiracy theory" that Trump was going to damage climate science:

And I am sure that if I wanted to I could provide numerous other examples of you directly or indirectly defending or even praising Trump.

Maybe if you had even a small amount of comprehension of what you cut and paste around here you would know what you have previously posted. But you don't.
Sorry, but those praised wise climate policy. They're not about Trump.

Last edited:
Sorry, but those praised wise climate policy. They're not about Trump.

Damn, Jack... these posts of yours were specifically about what Trump was going to do about climate policy. To claim that they were not about Trump is completely nonsensical and just another example of you denying reality yet again.

This is why intelligent people around here rightly don't believe anything you say or post without fact-checking it first.

Damn, Jack... these posts of yours were specifically about what Trump was going to do about climate policy. To claim that they were not about Trump is completely nonsensical and just another example of you denying reality yet again.

This is why intelligent people around here rightly don't believe anything you say or post without fact-checking it first.
Well, I guess your integrity just took a nice punch in the gut.

What are you talking about? Jack is the one who has the habit of making non-sensical and false statements.

One thing I enjoyed about the days DP was down was the absence of personal nastiness. I intend to try to keep that enjoyment by ignoring the nastiness now that DP is back. I stated my reasons for those posts; I'm indifferent to your misinterpretation.

A biased media is an enemy of the people
Unless you agree with their lean.

There is always bias in the media. What is essential in a democracy is that people are educated enough to recognize the bias. That's why Thomas Jefferson promoted education.
The real "enemy of the people" is ignorance.

One thing I enjoyed about the days DP was down was the absence of personal nastiness. I intend to try to keep that enjoyment by ignoring the nastiness now that DP is back. I stated my reasons for those posts; I'm indifferent to your misinterpretation.
Good on you Jack. I'm all for leaving personal nastiness behind us. Perhaps we could even strive for politeness; for example, not state one's indifference to another person's opinion.

There is always bias in the media. What is essential in a democracy is that people are educated enough to recognize the bias. That's why Thomas Jefferson promoted education.
The real "enemy of the people" is ignorance.
Fair enough, but the people can only know, what happens elsewhere, if the events are reported accurately.
Even an educated person, cannot decide on facts not accurately reported.

Good on you Jack. I'm all for leaving personal nastiness behind us. Perhaps we could even strive for politeness; for example, not state one's indifference to another person's opinion.
On the contrary, indifference is part of the foundation of tolerance.

Fair enough, but the people can only know, what happens elsewhere, if the events are reported accurately.
Even an educated person, cannot decide on facts not accurately reported.

At the risk of being tendentious, one can certainly make educated assessments as to the veracity of the reporting. We don't live in caves, dependent upon whatever scraps of information are tossed down to us. We live in a free society with multiple viewpoints being expressed. Some sources rely on a reputation for reporting the facts as they are, and some do not.

If you want to say, for example, that climate change is a hoax, you're free to do so. However, calling the New York Times the "enemy of the people" because it reports climate change as being real is not an example of inaccurate reporting, it's an example of the media recognizing professional expertise. There's bias, but it's toward objective professional experts, which is a bias I favor. The exact same thing is true of the FBI's investigation of the Trump campaign. The bi-partisan Senate report confirms what the NYT and the Washington Post reported all along, despite shrill cries that the FBI investigation was a "witch hunt."

If you get your information from sources that claim climate change is a hoax, or that the FBI's investigation was a "witch hunt," then just recognize that you're viewing sources with heavy biases toward a political agenda, not a more objective reality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom