• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Anyone here like cars?

ddoyle00 said:
I've had a love affair with vehicles myself. It started back with my first car which was a 1989 BMW 520i that I bought when I was in Germany. I remember driving 110 MPH in the middle lane of the big six lane autobahn and getting passed by a Mercedes station wagon.
Then it was a 2000 Blazer LT 4wheel drive that had every damn thing that was available for that year. Unfortunatley, it cost me $450 a month with $250 a month for insurance and it sat in the parking lot a few times cause I couldnt afford gas. Sold that to a dealer for a $5000 loss.
The I bought my buddys 98 Firebird V6 which was my first rear drive sports car. And I wrecked it withen five weeks. I was halfway through a U-shaped merging ramp and I lost control, did a 180 and went over a concrete divider. Airbag saved my life I believe since I didnt have my seatbelt on.
So I was vehicless for a few weeks and then I bought a 95 Explorer Limited. Found out it was a rebuilt and practically worthless so I got buddy to buy it. The day we were supossed to go to the bank to sign the papers, I took him offroading and broke the front axle which set me back $800. He still bought it though.
Then it was a 94 TBird, V6 that I had for a while till I got a DUI and my parents took it home with them. After I left active duty in the Army, I came home and promptly wrecked it in I think 2 months.
Then it was an 89 Jeep Cherokee that was so beat up it, it was a blast to drive. Yeah, it got wrecked but it wasnt my fault this time.
So I sold it for scrap and bought a 93 TBird V8 that I put a little bit of money into and I traded that in for a 2000 Grand Cherokee that I still have to this day. Since its a 4.0 and those engines are built to last, I installed a 3" catback exhaust with an aftermarket muffler with plans for a 2"budget boost and 285 tires when I get back in Jan. Eventually, upgrade to Rancho shocks and Rancho steering stabilizer.

Im sorry but IMO t-birds are slow. Every stock V8 when it comes to a drag race are slow. I have seen a somewhat stock civic beat corvetts in a eight and quarter mile drag. Now on the freeway V8 dominate. However, I can gaurantee you that even when I used to own a civic I would be most V8 on the freeway. I was pushing around 300hp. And I was half the weight.

ddoyle00 said:
Scotty might be right though. Now that I think about it, Ive known some people who added neon lights and fake plastic spinners and they must've added at least 120 HP.
You shouldnt be so quick to dismiss a Ricer with a Pep Boys gift card. It can be the equalizer between a weak four cylinder ricer wanna be and a 350 big block V8.
Neon hp ratings are usually exaggerated. The most anyone has really gotten out of neons is 50 whp. Stickers are the best bang for the buck.

Yes, there is always that one magical and mystical Honda that will beat a Corvette, Viper, Mustang, etc, etc. But at what cost? To get to 300 Hp, you will have to add what, 140 HP at least? Most people dont have the resources to boost a Honda to 300 and if they do, they usually grace the covers of a tuner magazine. And even then, all you have is Hp and no torque. If people really think that taking a 4 cylinder engine and then adding a turbo/intercooler kit, cold air, new gears, nitrous, god knows what else and then finally be at the same level as a 2005 mustang gt stock is an accomplishment, I ask "Why even bother?" I mean, I could post links to a company that manufactures dual turbo kits for mustang gt's that put out over 700 hp or point out the new Corvette which has 505 Hp and 500 ft. lbs. of torque by the new judging standards as shown in the this months Car and Driver, but its pointless.

The point I am making is stock vs stock, an american V8 rear-drive sports car will beat an import. And dont point out a dual-turbo Supra or an NSX. I can do the same thing and use a Viper Venom or a Calloway Corvette.

Twas the night before Christmas and caught at the light,
Was a domestic V8 and no cops in sight,
I will try, I will try, I will try with this small motor,
To beat this damn Camaro, even with its big blower,
As the light goes green and I pull like no joke,
The Camaro erupts in clouds of tire smoke,
Now Smasher, now Rev-ver, now Stroker, now Blitzin,
These are the names of my four VTEC pistons,
Racing ahead I'm the star of the action,
But I know I'm in trouble when V8 gets traction,
Grabbing second, I hear the RPM's sing,
My mirror is blocked by my shopping kart wing,
I now hear the roar of the big monster gaining,
All I can do is keep the four-banger straining,
In a second, the shock wave hits with a blast,
And my stickers go flying now a thing of the past,
Don't bother with third, cause now it's too late,
Just try to act cool, like you can relate,
Looking up at the taillights as they get smaller,
The driver backs off just to give me a holler,
"You can't win them all," he says in fling,
"You may not win any, in that silly thing,"
I smiled and revved as he pulled out of sight,
With my new mods tomorrow…it will be a better night

I thought you might enjoy this.

Last edited:
ddoyle00 said:
If people really think that taking a 4 cylinder engine and then adding a turbo/intercooler kit, cold air, new gears, nitrous, god knows what else and then finally be at the same level as a 2005 mustang gt stock is an accomplishment, I ask "Why even bother?" I mean, I could post links to a company that manufactures dual turbo kits for mustang gt's that put out over 700 hp or point out the new Corvette which has 505 Hp and 500 ft. lbs. of torque by the new judging standards as shown in the this months Car and Driver, but its pointless.
The nice thing about the Volvo 4 banger is that its ancestors were tractor & light tank motors so it tends to make more torque than hp and it's extremely durable. A Volvo 4 cylinder holds the record for most mileage on a passenger vehicle. Besides the lack of an aftermarket in the states it's a pretty good bang for the buck. People have built 300-400hp volvos for $5k(includes price of car) and they are RWD.

Scotty, is the Volvo your talking about a diesel? Since you said it evolved from tank and farm engines plus holding the record for most passenger miles leads me to believe it is a diesel. If so, aside from a few exceptions you have pointed out, it will always have to bow to a gasoline powered V8 in terms of horsepower.

ddoyle00 said:
Scotty, is the Volvo your talking about a diesel? Since you said it evolved from tank and farm engines plus holding the record for most passenger miles leads me to believe it is a diesel. If so, aside from a few exceptions you have pointed out, it will always have to bow to a gasoline powered V8 in terms of horsepower.
They are gas engines. Gus Mahons Volvo B18 has over 2 million miles on it. If you want V8 power the Volvo engine bay easily accommodates a wide range of American V8's.

scottyz said:
They are gas engines. Gus Mahons Volvo B18 has over 2 million miles on it. If you want V8 power the Volvo engine bay easily accommodates a wide range of American V8's.
should be Irv Gordon not Gus Mahon... brain fart.

scottyz said:
Neon hp ratings are usually exaggerated. The most anyone has really gotten out of neons is 50 whp. Stickers are the best bang for the buck.

BWAHAHAHAHA

Yes, there is always that one magical and mystical Honda that will beat a Corvette, Viper, Mustang, etc, etc. But at what cost? To get to 300 Hp, you will have to add what, 140 HP at least?

Yes you must add app 140hp but I can gaurantee you the cost is alot less than the Viper or other V8's. It costed me about 4grand total to get around 300whp to my civic SI(former car).

Most people dont have the resources to boost a Honda to 300 and if they do, they usually grace the covers of a tuner magazine. And even then, all you have is Hp and no torque.

Actually not really, I had if you read 255pds of tq. Which is more than I need for a 2400pd car.

people really think that taking a 4 cylinder engine and then adding a turbo/intercooler kit, cold air, new gears, nitrous, god knows what else and then finally be at the same level as a 2005 mustang gt stock is an accomplishment, I ask "Why even bother?"

Becasue I still spent less than what it costs for the GT mustang and wipe its a$$ all day up and down the track. Personally, I have a saturn currently that I am building into a crazy motherlover. My goal is at least 650hp. I will get it and even more if I want. The question is why would a V8 even want to race me? I spent about 15000on the whole motor and drivetrain setup and 4grand on the car itself. In my first turbo setup on the saturn I was basically untouchable to most V8's. And I was boosting only 10psi tops. I was making around 235hp. I have a profile on cardomain if you dont beleive me.

I mean, I could post links to a company that manufactures dual turbo kits for mustang gt's that put out over 700 hp or point out the new Corvette which has 505 Hp and 500 ft. lbs. of torque by the new judging standards as shown in the this months Car and Driver, but its pointless.

But the point is cost to et. How much you spent compared to your et's. In my case I saved alot more and I save alot more in fuel to get better et's. Also I have a supra that will embarrass a new corvett and embarrass any mustang even blown ones. Also if I want I could get 700hp out of my saturn. Just add fuel and boost.

The point I am making is stock vs stock, an american V8 rear-drive sports car will beat an import. And dont point out a dual-turbo Supra or an NSX. I can do the same thing and use a Viper Venom or a Calloway Corvette.

Actually this is not true. To name a few, a S2000, MR2, JX100, Type R civic, M3, M5, Audi TT, Audi A4, GTI R32, Golf GTI, RX7, RX8, TC, and Porsches. Now I didnt list any special import twin turboed vehicle these are all stock off the dealership vehicles that also happen to be naturally aspirated(except for the Golf GTI). They all can beat most V8 domestic vehicles stock for stock.

"I spent about 15000on the whole motor and drivetrain setup and 4grand on the car itself. In my first turbo setup on the saturn I was basically untouchable to most V8's. And I was boosting only 10psi tops. I was making around 235hp."

So $15,000
+ 4,000

Buy a used 1996-2004 Mustang GT for ehhh, $14,000 and then check out
www.twinturbostang.com and see what they offer for $7,800. They can tune the Stang to 720 HP and 657 fpt. This is at 20 psi. So, the price in money is what? $3,000? And after all the engine and tranny work, whats left of the Honda? An Si emblem? I would gladly pay $21,000 for 10 second car.

Maybe you could send me a dyno sheet proving it or at least give me the major mods like what kind of engine, etc or that cardomain link. Hell, Id even put a stock Grand National or a Syclone against that Honda. Whats left of the original Honda anyway.

ddoyle00 said:
"I spent about 15000on the whole motor and drivetrain setup and 4grand on the car itself. In my first turbo setup on the saturn I was basically untouchable to most V8's. And I was boosting only 10psi tops. I was making around 235hp."

So $15,000
+ 4,000

Buy a used 1996-2004 Mustang GT for ehhh, $14,000 and then check out
www.twinturbostang.com and see what they offer for $7,800. They can tune the Stang to 720 HP and 657 fpt. This is at 20 psi. So, the price in money is what? $3,000? And after all the engine and tranny work, whats left of the Honda? An Si emblem? I would gladly pay $21,000 for 10 second car.

Maybe you could send me a dyno sheet proving it or at least give me the major mods like what kind of engine, etc or that cardomain link. Hell, Id even put a stock Grand National or a Syclone against that Honda. Whats left of the original Honda anyway.

Well actally that post you quoted was in reference to my saturn projectnot the honda. Although if you dont beleive me Ican basically tell you to look at every single tuner agazine out there and youcan see for yourself with little mods you can make a hinda very fast and for cheaper than a V8. Btw, my honda project costed me with car and parts a grand total of 14grand.

Again when I get done with my saturn it will be much faster than the mustang you speak of. Again its all hp/weight ratio. You could have 1000hp with 3500pds and I can half 500hp at 1800pds. In a drag race who do you think will win. I put my money on the 1800pd vehicle.

However, here is the link of my project saturn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105945

As you can see its a work in progress right now.

It sounds and looks like a very strong car; although I would insure the engine and components and not worry about the frame. It is still a Saturn. But thats the whole point that I was making earlier. After so much modification, whats left of the original car? In my personal opinoin, Id rather start out with a V8 and work from there, so I can keep as much of the car as I can.

When I get back, Ill post some pictures of my Jeep after its lifted.

On a side note, www.uglyjackass.com has a video of a diesel F350 running 11's at 118 mph in the 1/4. It has twin turbos that put out 800 HP and over 1000 fpt.

Cheers!

ddoyle00 said:
It sounds and looks like a very strong car; although I would insure the engine and components and not worry about the frame. It is still a Saturn. But thats the whole point that I was making earlier. After so much modification, whats left of the original car? In my personal opinoin, Id rather start out with a V8 and work from there, so I can keep as much of the car as I can.

When I get back, Ill post some pictures of my Jeep after its lifted.

On a side note, www.uglyjackass.com has a video of a diesel F350 running 11's at 118 mph in the 1/4. It has twin turbos that put out 800 HP and over 1000 fpt.

Cheers!

Well it will be very strong. I also cryogenically treated the motor and drivetrain. However, any car you sup up will always be leaving you with a little of the originalcar(well motor and drivetrain anyway). V8's have a tendancy to be unbalanced when you exceed 500whp. On the other hand in inline motors thats never the problem.

The only domestic V8 car I like stock is the Viper, or the old muscle cars. I do like the new chrysler 300.

O and I know all about those diesel trucks man. I was at palmdale and this duramax came up and it did a low 14 totally stock. I was very impressed. My saturn stock did a mid 14.

ddoyle00 said:

Cheers!
Propane injection and a reprogrammed ECU seem to work wonders on diesel trucks.

scottyz said:
Propane injection and a reprogrammed ECU seem to work wonders on diesel trucks.

Really? I thought diesel trucks are called deisel trucks because they use diesel fuel? If they are propane fueled then they wouldnt be called diesel anymore right?

SKILMATIC said:
Really? I thought diesel trucks are called deisel trucks because they use diesel fuel? If they are propane fueled then they wouldnt be called diesel anymore right?
It will still run on diesel, but propane will be be injected with the air. The addition of propane allows for a better burn off.

scottyz said:
It will still run on diesel, but propane will be be injected with the air. The addition of propane allows for a better burn off.

Ohhh ok I was under the impression that propane was the only fuel that was used. I didnt know it was mixed with the diesel fuel. Hmm I learned something new.

Back
Top Bottom