• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anonymous Hackers Warn Supreme Court Against Overturning Roe vs. Wade: 'Expect Us'

It wasn't an interpretation it was a paraphrase.

An accurate one.

Here is the actual quote.

“Repealing Roe v Wade isn't going to go the way SCOTUS or the GOP thinks it's going to go. Play with fire, get burned. Don't say we didn't warn you,” the hacking collective wrote. “Expect us.”

That is a threat. A crime. And wrong.
What basis are you using to consider that a threat other than your own biases?

There is a mechanism of oversight that Congress could exercise. Impeachment.

Additionally, if Congress disagrees with SCOTUS, the House could adopt a Constitutional amendment that would force a change in the high court’s calculus.

Neither is preferred, or likely, but the options exist.

Sure the House can impeach but the senate will never convict.

Yes the House can pass an amendment to bring accountability to that court but it will never pass the republican filibuster in the Senate.

The process we have has been totally politicized so there is no way to bring justice to what is happening on that court.

I don't know what the solution is but I do know we have judges on that court who out right lied to the Senate. I also know that it's a felony to do so. Unfortunately, I also know that our justice system will never hold them accountable for their crimes.

So the only avenue we have left is at the state level and ballot box. Can the voters in the red states overcome the huge barriers put in place by the republicans to prevent them from voting? We will have to wait to find out.

I do know that if the voters of our nation don't finally get off their butts and vote all these radical far right politicians out of office, it's only going to get worse from here.

Ok.

Still.

It isnt a contest. The corruption is very serious.

Threatening to hack the Supreme Court and make them pay is still a crime.

I am opposed to both.
Yes, don't take it as a personal issue, as much as a broader observation about the reactions I see. It's hard to get much reaction from people to the corruption issue. In a sense, it is a contest. People can be more concerned about one thing or another, and the corruption of the court is under most people's radar.

Empty threat from stupid people.
:rolleyes:....well, between the warning from "Anonymous", and your post, above.....one is certainly "stupid".

That's pretty obvious, I'd say.

What basis are you using to consider that a threat other than your own biases?
"Repealing Roe v Wade isn't going to go the way SCOTUS or the GOP thinks it's going to go. Play with fire, get burned. Don't say we didn't warn you,” the hacking collective wrote. “Expect us.”

Play with fire, get burned. .....in other words follow through with it you will get burned (metaphoricly burned, something bad will happen to you)

Don't say we didn't warn you.......(direct threat......warn them of what? Considering the source, getting hacked, a crime).

"Expect us"......Expect them to what? Join them foe tea?.......coming from of a group of hackers ""Expect us" obviously refers to hacking. Expect them to hack them.

Pretty clear criminal threat.

I agree it would be hard to prosecute but that doesn't make it ok.

I do know that if the voters of our nation don't finally get off their butts and vote all these radical far right politicians out of office, it's only going to get worse from here.

It's always been assumed that if a political party were to become horrible, an enemy of the country, that no one would vote for it and that would prevent them from doing harm. What we're seeing is that assumption shown incorrect. As the right-wing propaganda machine has created a cult-like army, they can do about anything and keep votes. And they do.

"When MasterCard ceased processing payments connected to WikiLeaks, Anonymous crippled the company's websites with denial-of-service attacks."

I wouldn't call them stupid, and I definitely wouldn't call it an empty threat.
Yes, they can create some havoc for a period of time, then they get bored and move on. Its like a child with a lighter and adhd.

Does anybody believe now that the Supreme Court is anything more an a third legislature controlled by the Republican Party? They even gave a member whose wife was in on the insurrection. What a sorry example of a democratic instituition. It is a sad, cruel joke.

So conservatives care about leaks now?

Yes, don't take it as a personal issue, as much as a broader observation about the reactions I see. It's hard to get much reaction from people to the corruption issue. In a sense, it is a contest. People can be more concerned about one thing or another, and the corruption of the court is under most people's radar.
I Think it is hypocritical for Robert's to announce an investigation into the leak but not into Clarence Thomas' clear corruption.

I think the senate should open ethics investigations into how McConnell denied Garland a hearing because it was too close to the election and then pushed through Barrets nomination way closer to the election. Not a criminal violation but a clear ethical violation.

I think the three newest justices should face investigations for lying in their confirmation hearings. Etc.

And I also think it is unethical and criminal to threaten to hack the Supreme court.

"Repealing Roe v Wade isn't going to go the way SCOTUS or the GOP thinks it's going to go. Play with fire, get burned. Don't say we didn't warn you,” the hacking collective wrote. “Expect us.”

Play with fire, get burned. .....in other words follow through with it you will get burned (metaphoricly burned, something bad will happen to you)

Don't say we didn't warn you.......(direct threat......warn them of what? Considering the source, getting hacked, a crime).

"Expect us"......Expect them to what? Join them foe tea?.......coming from of a group of hackers ""Expect us" obviously refers to hacking. Expect them to hack them.

Pretty clear criminal threat.

I agree it would be hard to prosecute but that doesn't make it ok.
Play with fire...is a universally recognized idiom that has any numbers of interpretations. Are we threatened by speed limit signs? How about cigarette warning labels? We are warned all the time of consequences. Expect us?

I just don't see any of this rising to the level of criminal intent. I still don't see any da in the country taking a case to trial based on the words used.

Yes, they can create some havoc for a period of time, then they get bored and move on. Its like a child with a lighter and adhd.
? Anonymous is nothing if not focused.

KEY POINTS​

• An initial draft majority opinion showed five justices may be ready to repeal Roe v. Wade
  • 'Play with fire, get burned. Don't say we didn't warn you,' Anonymous warns the Supreme Court
  • Chief Justice John Roberts will investigate how the draft opinion was leaked
Hacking collective Anonymous has warned the U.S. Supreme Court against striking down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, adding that it may “get burned” if it does so.

In a Twitter post published Tuesday, Anonymous said the Supreme Court and Republicans should “expect” some type of retaliation should they repeal Roe v. Wade decision. The landmark decision was made in 1973 when the Supreme Court ruled that governments lacked the power to prohibit abortions and that it was a woman’s right to terminate her pregnancy in the first three months of pregnancy.

“Repealing Roe v Wade isn't going to go the way SCOTUS or the GOP thinks it's going to go. Play with fire, get burned. Don't say we didn't warn you,” the hacking collective wrote. “Expect us.”

snip

Your point being....what?

Empty? They have delivered on all of their "threats"

Has Israel been “wiped off the Internet” without us knowing?

“In response to Operation Pillar of Defense, a November 2012 Israeli military operation in the Gaza Strip, Anons took down hundreds of Israeli websites with DDoS attacks.[113] Anons pledged another "massive cyberassault" against Israel in April 2013 in retaliation for its actions in Gaza, promising to "wipe Israel off the map of the Internet".[114] However, its DDoS attacks caused only temporary disruptions, leading cyberwarfare experts to suggest that the group had been unable to recruit or hire botnet operators for the attack.[115][116]”

🙄

Has Israel been “wiped off the Internet” without us knowing?

“In response to Operation Pillar of Defense, a November 2012 Israeli military operation in the Gaza Strip, Anons took down hundreds of Israeli websites with DDoS attacks.[113] Anons pledged another "massive cyberassault" against Israel in April 2013 in retaliation for its actions in Gaza, promising to "wipe Israel off the map of the Internet".[114] However, its DDoS attacks caused only temporary disruptions, leading cyberwarfare experts to suggest that the group had been unable to recruit or hire botnet operators for the attack.[115][116]”

🙄
Did they threaten to wipe them from the internet?

Did they threaten to wipe them from the internet?

Uh....yes. It’s literally right there in the quote.

In another mildly amusing example....

“ In November 2015, Anonymous announced a major, sustained operation against ISIS following the November 2015 Paris attacks,[149] declaring: "Anonymous from all over the world will hunt you down. You should know that we will find you and we will not let you go."[150][151] ISIS responded on Telegram by calling them "idiots", and asking "What they gonna to [sic] hack?"[152][153] By the next day, however, Anonymous claimed to have taken down 3,824 pro-ISIS Twitter accounts, and by the third day more than 5,000,[154] and to have doxxed ISIS recruiters.[155] A week later, Anonymous increased their claim to 20,000 pro-ISIS accounts and released a list of the accounts.[156][157] The list included the Twitter accounts of Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, The New York Times, and BBC News. The BBC reported that most of the accounts on the list appeared to be still active.[158] A spokesman for Twitter told The Daily Dot that the company is not using the lists of accounts being reported by Anonymous, as they have been found to be "wildly inaccurate" and include accounts used by academics and journalists.[159]”

From prior source.

KEY POINTS​

• An initial draft majority opinion showed five justices may be ready to repeal Roe v. Wade
  • 'Play with fire, get burned. Don't say we didn't warn you,' Anonymous warns the Supreme Court
  • Chief Justice John Roberts will investigate how the draft opinion was leaked
Hacking collective Anonymous has warned the U.S. Supreme Court against striking down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, adding that it may “get burned” if it does so.

In a Twitter post published Tuesday, Anonymous said the Supreme Court and Republicans should “expect” some type of retaliation should they repeal Roe v. Wade decision. The landmark decision was made in 1973 when the Supreme Court ruled that governments lacked the power to prohibit abortions and that it was a woman’s right to terminate her pregnancy in the first three months of pregnancy.

snip

It would appear that the desire to toss out the rule of law is perfectly fine when the results don't go one's way is no less strong a tendency on the political left as it is on the political right.

Uh....yes. It’s literally right there in the quote.

In another mildly amusing example....

“ In November 2015, Anonymous announced a major, sustained operation against ISIS following the November 2015 Paris attacks,[149] declaring: "Anonymous from all over the world will hunt you down. You should know that we will find you and we will not let you go."[150][151] ISIS responded on Telegram by calling them "idiots", and asking "What they gonna to [sic] hack?"[152][153] By the next day, however, Anonymous claimed to have taken down 3,824 pro-ISIS Twitter accounts, and by the third day more than 5,000,[154] and to have doxxed ISIS recruiters.[155] A week later, Anonymous increased their claim to 20,000 pro-ISIS accounts and released a list of the accounts.[156][157] The list included the Twitter accounts of Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, The New York Times, and BBC News. The BBC reported that most of the accounts on the list appeared to be still active.[158] A spokesman for Twitter told The Daily Dot that the company is not using the lists of accounts being reported by Anonymous, as they have been found to be "wildly inaccurate" and include accounts used by academics and journalists.[159]”
So it seems they delivered on their threat albeit less severe than they said.

? Anonymous is nothing if not focused.
I have never seen an instance where they focus on something for more than a few months to a single year.

So it seems they delivered on their threat albeit less severe than they said.

They caused a mild amount of trouble and then got bored and ambled off. That’s what has happened every time they took up a “cause”.

They caused a mild amount of trouble and then got bored and ambled off. That’s what has happened every time they took up a “cause”.
Okay so they have nothing to fear then and surely isn't a threat..

Okay so they have nothing to fear then and surely isn't a threat..

Oh, it’s a threat alright.....and a dumb one to boot. The Supreme Court isn’t going to change its mind based on anything Anonymous does.

Oh, it’s a threat alright.....and a dumb one to boot. The Supreme Court isn’t going to change its mind based on anything Anonymous does.
okay ;-)

Just like Anonymous’ attacks on Israel didn’t stop them from bombing the Palestinians. And how Anonymous hasn’t “hunted down” ISIS like they claimed. And various states and governments just kept moving right along with their plans regardless of what Anonymous said or did.

Umm....is it really a good idea to be threatening a gov't institution like that?
No, it's not. And as mentioned, not as if their actions will change the decision.

Back
Top Bottom