• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American Medical Association declares abortion bans ‘violation of human rights’

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

The American Medical Association announced it was implementing a new policy that would provide legal protections for patients and doctors against governments attempting to criminalize reproductive health services.

It looks like the doctors have made their stance known.

Kudos to the AMA.

Absolutely.

A woman has an absolute right to terminate a pregnancy.

She is doing herself a favor and a favor to society.

(Whenever I read about despicable human beings, be they ordinary street criminals or the current Russian czar), I think to myself: "If only their mothers had aborted!")

The American Medical Association announced it was implementing a new policy that would provide legal protections for patients and doctors against governments attempting to criminalize reproductive health services.

It is a well considered opinion.
As with any medical procedure, there's no reason that those decisions should involve anyone other than doctor and patient. And certainly not federal, state, or local governments.

Since when did the AMA start determining what rights are and who has them?

Since when did the AMA start determining what rights are and who has them?
Without a concept of human rights, the AMA could never have established medical ethics guidelines. This is part of the doctoring profession, as well as these concepts, well before the AMA existed going back to Hippocrates, at least.

So to answer your question 400ish BC, based on the core principals involved.

And do you agree or disagree? And why?

And do you agree or disagree? And why?
I don't have a strong opinion.

I don't agree with the conservative Christian interpretation that life begins in the womb as the bible has it anywhere from conception to first breath, but no strongly worded statement on the topic that doesn't rely on a lot of interpretation and personal moral judgment. On top of that, the mainstream Jewish traditions allow for abortion.

I have prayed about the topic, but I do not believe I have received an answer on it.

Without a concept of human rights, the AMA could never have established medical ethics guidelines. This is part of the doctoring profession, as well as these concepts, well before the AMA existed going back to Hippocrates, at least.

Well, that makes them very self-important, doesn't it?

I agree. The AMA needed to speak up decades ago.

I Read a essay that was written by a medical doctor who worked in New York in the late 1948 to 1953 repairing the damage done to women who had illegal abortions and I will forever remember his quote as it sums up my feelings exactly.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...e-damage-done-before-roe-2008jun15-story.html

It is important to remember that Roe v. Wade did not mean that abortions could be performed. They have always been done, dating from ancient Greek days.

What Roe said was that ending a pregnancy could be carried out by medical personnel, in a medically accepted setting, thus conferring on women, finally, the full rights of first-class citizens — and freeing their doctors to treat them as such.

The woman and her doctor should be the ones to decide. Often her life/long term health depends on having an abortion.

Here is a <snip> from an article I recently read:
….

As a physician who specializes in high-risk pregnancies, I have cared for patients with a wide variety of complex medical troubles: metastatic cancer, kidney disease serious enough to require dialysis, heart conditions that make walking down the hallway an exhausting workout. For many of my patients, pregnancy hinders or simply prevents them from getting the right treatment for their chronic underlying illness. For others, pregnancy is what is making them sick, putting their heart or their brain at risk of permanent damage.

Recently, I discussed termination with a patient who came to my hospital at 21 weeks’ gestation with multiple organs in failure. Her pregnancy was killing her; ending it would save her life.

Read in The Atlantic: https://apple.news/A3cmoJvgdT52_N4AT0cEcHg

Speaks volumes that they can’t bring themselves to say “abortion” and instead chose to hide behind “reproductive health services.” In any case, they aren’t the arbiters of human rights.

It's heartening to finally see an organization with some political power supporting the right of women to make personal decisions about their private reproductive lives. Obviously Congress and the Supreme Court don't give a damn how many people protest, march, write letters, speak out or even run for office they have no problem ignoring them and forcing women into following the religious dogma of the Christian Right.

200.gif

Speaks volumes that they can’t bring themselves to say “abortion” and instead chose to hide behind “reproductive health services.” In any case, they aren’t the arbiters of human rights.
1. That's seriously nitpicky to the point that you don't actually have a point
2. Even with being nitpicky to the point of not having a point, you are factually wrong. Here is the press release.

Good. Now they need to lay out a compelling case as to why fetuses should not be considered "babies" and why abortion should not be considered "murder". Since that's, ya know, central to the entire debate and all.

Good. Now they need to lay out a compelling case as to why fetuses should not be considered "babies" and why abortion should not be considered "murder". Since that's, ya know, central to the entire debate and all.
I don't think that will ever be reconciled, because at its core, its a conclusion (on either side) that is derived entirely from emotion, moral instinct, and social perception.

There is no real data that says "at this stage of development, this is how things should work", but only interpretations of data that are purely judgment calls on which development point is more important, whether that be heart beat, certain levels of brain activity, when the DNA becomes distinct, etc.

No need since the United Nations already agrees that women should have access to abortions and that abortions are a human rights issue .

United States: UN experts denounce further attacks against right to safe abortion and Supreme Court complicity

GENEVA (14 September 2021) – UN human rights experts* today denounced a recently enacted law that effectively bans abortion as early as six weeks of pregnancy and includes an unprecedented provision that encourages private individuals to file lawsuits against those involved in abortion procedures.
"This law is alarming. It bans abortion before many women even know they are pregnant" the experts said. The law contains no exception for pregnancies that result from rape or incest, or for foetal health conditions that are incompatible with sustained life after birth. The only exception is for a medical emergency.

Texas State Senate Bill 8 (S.B. 8), which was signed by Texas Governor on 19 May and entered into force on 1 September 2021, will cause severe harm to pregnant women in Texas who seek abortion considering that approximately 90% of women who obtain abortions in Texas are at least six weeks pregnant. "Nearly all abortions are now prohibited in a state where abortion was already extremely difficult to access" the experts said.
About 96% of Texas counties lack a clinic that provides abortion care and patients face countless barriers to terminate a pregnancy. This recent law is the latest in a series of numerous attempts by the Texas state legislature to severely restrict access to safe and legal abortion. It epitomizes a series of retrogressions in the United States on the right to abortion notwithstanding constitutional recognition of that right.

This year alone state legislatures in the United States have enacted a historic number of highly restrictive abortion laws and bans on abortion services, including those that impose criminal penalties on pregnant women and abortion providers.

Read more :

https://www.ohchr.org/en/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=27457&LangID=E

Oh, you thought abortion was the only reproductive health service conservatives aim to ban? They'll be after contraception next. Anything that will help them reduce women back to chattel.

1. That's seriously nitpicky to the point that you don't actually have a point
2. Even with being nitpicky to the point of not having a point, you are factually wrong. Here is the press release.

What were you expecting anyone to do with vague grandiose claims from the AMA that they’ll somehow shield abortion providers from the law? It’s an emotional announcement that has no rational meat to it.

The AMA has made it known that they are not an apolitical organization. It's why they don't carry as much weight as they think they do.

Abortion is only one of the many resources and/or treatments in the reproductive lives of women. If abortion is the topic the world abortion is used in the discussion.

When you are hiding behind euphemisms like "killing", "murder", "bloody violence", "innocent little babies", and "pre-born children" it might be wise to forgo complaining about medical terminology used correctly.

What were you expecting anyone to do with vague grandiose claims from the AMA that they’ll somehow shield abortion providers from the law? It’s an emotional announcement that has no rational meat to it.
I wasn't expecting anything, I was relaying an article to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom