• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American Medical Association declares abortion bans ‘violation of human rights’

And what makes you think Republicans care about the AMA? It is not as if Republicans have all of a sudden embraced medicine in any regard.

Since when did the AMA start determining what rights are and who has them?
They're the ones who were responsible for all the anti-abortion laws of the 1800s.

More recently, women's reproductive rights are also on the list of international human rights, and rape/forced pregnancy in war has been an international war crime for a really long time.

And what makes you think Republicans care about the AMA? It is not as if Republicans have all of a sudden embraced medicine in any regard.
Frankly, it would be really hard to be a doctor, seeing as how you would have to treat anti-abortion Republicans if they needed it in the emergency room and not turn them away as they deserve . . . .

Last edited:

The American Medical Association announced it was implementing a new policy that would provide legal protections for patients and doctors against governments attempting to criminalize reproductive health services.

It looks like the doctors have made their stance known.

(y) The basic premise of RvW was that states may no longer deny women a much safer medical procedure. (Much much safer than pregnancy/childbirth). Previously posted, apologies for length:

If abortion is morally wrong, why did the courts recognize a woman's right to have one?
It's a decision that came about once a medical procedure was proven safer than giving birth. Once abortion was a safer procedure, there was no longer any foundation for banning it electively, in the guise of 'protecting women.' The decision was not about protecting the unborn. And they were unequivocal about that. (court decision quotes available on request)​
The state can regulate medical procedures. What legal basis does it have to deny a much safer medical procedure to women? The unborn has no legal status the state/fed is obligated to protect. It is obligated to protect women and our Const. rights.

--and--

Why would there need to be a right to abortion?
Because it was needed **to protect women** To enable them to choose something much safer than pregnancy/childbirth...there would be no need to protect women's right to bodily autonomy, medical privacy (health decisions), and due process if some states were not denying women those protections recognized under federal law (the Const). The RvW decision clarified women are entitled to those protections. States may not supersede that.​
RvW specifically decided that states may not ban the safer medical procedure of elective abortion. The procedure was safer than pregnancy/childbirth and so they decided that women had the right to choose the safer procedure. They also referred to the 9th in the RvW decision. It's no different than a right to have consensual sex, a right to reproduce, or a right to travel from state to state. It's accorded to the people unless there are reasons to restrict or ban it. (hint: so no one 'invented it'...they just protect it unless there are reasons not to)
RvW decided that the states may not deny women a safe medical procedure if they choose it. It is much much safer than pregnancy/childbirth.​
Why should women not be allowed the safer medical procedure if they choose it? The unborn have no legal standing to affect that. The govt is obligated to protect women, and to protect our Const rights.

Good. Now they need to lay out a compelling case as to why fetuses should not be considered "babies" and why abortion should not be considered "murder". Since that's, ya know, central to the entire debate and all.

As a libertarian, are you claiming those are your views? Cuz I've got a few questions for you if so.

What were you expecting anyone to do with vague grandiose claims from the AMA that they’ll somehow shield abortion providers from the law? It’s an emotional announcement that has no rational meat to it.

One example is that they'll be able to produce new guidelines and protections for clinics in blue states that provide 'reproductive services' for women from red states. Ensuring that they know the law, their rights, etc.

As a libertarian, are you claiming those are your views? Cuz I've got a few questions for you if so.
My belief is that a fetus is not a "baby" and that abortion is not "murder". I'm not sure where other libertarians stand on it, and I won't claim to speak for them all, but feel free to ask.

My belief is that a fetus is not a "baby" and that abortion is not "murder". I'm not sure where other libertarians stand on it, and I won't claim to speak for them all, but feel free to ask.

Thank you for clarification.

I don't have a strong opinion.

I don't agree with the conservative Christian interpretation that life begins in the womb as the bible has it anywhere from conception to first breath, but no strongly worded statement on the topic that doesn't rely on a lot of interpretation and personal moral judgment. On top of that, the mainstream Jewish traditions allow for abortion.

I have prayed about the topic, but I do not believe I have received an answer on it.

Well personally I think the AMA are hypocritical. On the one hand they oppose "political intrusions into the practice of medicine that infringe on the patient-physician relationship and compromise patient access to safe, evidence-based medical care."

On the other hand they supported vaccine mandates.

Well personally I think the AMA are hypocritical. On the one hand they oppose "political intrusions into the practice of medicine that infringe on the patient-physician relationship and compromise patient access to safe, evidence-based medical care."

On the other hand they supported vaccine mandates.
Vaccine mandates are not political (except to those who wish to make it so). When was the last time you contracted polio?

Kudos to the AMA.

Absolutely.

A woman has an absolute right to terminate a pregnancy.

She is doing herself a favor and a favor to society.

(Whenever I read about despicable human beings, be they ordinary street criminals or the current Russian czar), I think to myself: "If only their mothers had aborted!")

Would you feel the same if your mother had aborted you?

No, because you would be dead.

Would you feel the same if your mother had aborted you?

No, because you would be dead.
I am an old man (85) whose cognitive skills are declining, so I do not really understand the point you are making. Maybe I am misreading your comments, but I would expect an avowed "slightly liberal" person to be a strong supporter of abortion rights.

By the way, I wish that I had not been born into this vale of tears.

Best wishes!

I am an old man (85) whose cognitive skills are declining, so I do not really understand the point you are making. Maybe I am misreading your comments, but I would expect an avowed "slightly liberal" person to be a strong supporter of abortion rights.

By the way, I wish that I had not been born into this vale of tears.

Best wishes!
1. I'm am not required to believe or support any political dogma. It's politics, not a religion.

2. Wow, I truly hope that you do not actually feel that way about yourself. No one should feel that way.

3. I am solidly against abortion because it is murder, the ending of someone's life unjustly. The fact that other options, like adoption and orphanages, are not really explored by liberal politicians is truly troubling and seems to me to be a moral failure.

2. Wow, I truly hope that you do not actually feel that way about yourself. No one should feel that way.
I do not remember their names, but a few relatively famous people have said something that, I assume, would disturb you. Something to the effect that parents are de facto criminals, for they knowingly bring children into this world even though they know what those children are going to experience in this vale of tears.

I do not remember their names, but a few relatively famous people have said something that, I assume, would disturb you. Something to the effect that parents are de facto criminals, for they knowingly bring children into this world even though they know what those children are going to experience in this vale of tears.
Just because life can be horrible sometimes, is no reason to deny the right to life of others.

Good. Now they need to lay out a compelling case as to why fetuses should not be considered "babies" and why abortion should not be considered "murder". Since that's, ya know, central to the entire debate and all.
Because embryos/fetuses are not medically defined as "babies" and abortion is a medical/pharmaceutical procedure. Neither is abortion legally defined or equated with murder. Seems like there's no real debate at all.

Just because life can be horrible sometimes, is no reason to deny the right to life of others.
"Right to life" is not a guarantee, especially for the unborn which does not have rights.

All Republicans have really accomplished, when they overturn Roe v Wade, is losing tons of Voters until a future Supreme Court reinstates Roe v Wade or something like it.

Back
Top Bottom