• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America has it Wrong # 73

Should America adopt Chinese dates?

• Damn Euros should mind their own business

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I prefer nine day weeks and no months, myself, but baby steps. ;)

People seem to like things in 10s, and since our number system is designed that way, I see no reason not to go with that. Ten day weeks, 6 days on 4 off. 7/3 if you're a real try-hard, and 5/5 when the robots really kick in. This way, the last digit in the day number will indicate which day of the week it is. No need for silly day names based on bronze-age myths.

People seem to like things in 10s, and since our number system is designed that way, I see no reason not to go with that. Ten day weeks, 6 days on 4 off. 7/3 if you're a real try-hard.

Or 5/5 for a business that operates continuously.

I was thinking of something employers would like better. A 3 day weekend (67% instead of current 71% work week) but the options of 3, 4 or 5 days "part-time" without needing a temp for just one day. 6 days "full time" would not be expected of anyone, but (what you call) try-hards might like it. I think shifts of part time work are more practical than overlapping. And we should face that many businesses will work continuously even if they have to pay penalty rates, and the best solution to overwork (and partial solution to unemployment) is to make shifts of part timers easy for business.

7 isn't terrible. An employer wanting to do business 7 days a week can fill positions 5/2 or 4/3. Maybe you're just wary of prime numbers?

I disagree. We should adopt a different dating system entirely. Every day of the year should have a number. That's it. No months needed.

Dates would be reflected as: 2022-123

If someone asks you want day it is, you could just say "151" or "17."
That's called Julian dating. We use that in the grocery business.

Not sure about the easier data sorting unless you are getting date data from sround the world. Applications like MS Excel etc convert the date to a number to sort them, so as long as you tell the application what format (US vs Euro etc) you are using they will sort just fine.

Having said that, the US system is the least intuitive. DD/MM/YYYY is the most intuitive, while the reverse is also simple enough. MM/DD/YYYY really makes comparatively little sense.

For another WTF question, why does the US color it's port and starboard navigation markers backwards to the rest of the world

Cool. I never imagined I was the first person to think of this.

Unlike you, they rather over-thought it. Wikipedia:

The Julian date (JD) of any instant is the Julian day number plus the fraction of a day since the preceding noon in Universal Time. Julian dates are expressed as a Julian day number with a decimal fraction added.[6] For example, the Julian Date for 00:30:00.0 UT January 1, 2013, is 2 456 293.520 833.[7] Expressed as a Julian date, this page was loaded at 2459629.797662. [refresh]

Computers might like it, but I doubt many humans would

The Julian date (JD) of any instant is the Julian day number plus the fraction of a day since the preceding noon in Universal Time. Julian dates are expressed as a Julian day number with a decimal fraction added.[6] For example, the Julian Date for 00:30:00.0 UT January 1, 2013, is 2 456 293.520 833.[7] Expressed as a Julian date, this page was loaded at 2459629.797662. [refresh]

Yeah, that's a bit much. I was thinking more along the lines of 111 being "one-day" and "112" being "two-day."

Yeah, that's a bit much. I was thinking more along the lines of 111 being "one-day" and "112" being "two-day."

That makes the 10-day week quite rational, actually. Day 341 will be a Wunday, day 342 a Toosday, etc ...

We'll have to rename the digits of our counting system so they sort alphabetically, and while we're at it lets switch to base β. Times tables are easier in base β!

It sucks.

It sucks.

But with Decimal time it wouldn't be so bad! The first digit after the point would be the hour, then two digits for the minute ... nah you're right. It would still suck.

Not sure about the easier data sorting unless you are getting date data from sround the world. Applications like MS Excel etc convert the date to a number to sort them, so as long as you tell the application what format (US vs Euro etc) you are using they will sort just fine.

Having said that, the US system is the least intuitive. DD/MM/YYYY is the most intuitive, while the reverse is also simple enough. MM/DD/YYYY really makes comparatively little sense.

For another WTF question, why does the US color it's port and starboard navigation markers backwards to the rest of the world

That would be because no one tells us what to do😆

No they don't, they use day month year or Julian date.

This is what am I worried about. DD-MM-YYYY and MM-DD-YYYY are totally incompatible. Really the only incompatible pair of formats.

9-11-2001 could be two different dates. So could 01-06-2021

The priority for the US should be keeping the second-best out, not so much eliminating the third-best. The US can have two systems indefinitely, provided neither of them is day-month-year.

As an analogy with Metric, the Imperial system is at least distinguishable. Imagine some idiot invented a decimal system with different basic definitions ("one centimeter is one and a half French centimetres") and the confusion that would cause.

No they don't, they use day month year or Julian date.

YYYYMMDD was the proper date notation for every DA Form or DoD Form I ever filled out. You're either clueless or your experience is dated.

Julian date for comms, sure.

We could just do the most American thing and sell sponsorships as to the name of each year like in Infinite Jest

We could just do the most American thing and sell sponsorships as to the name of each year like in Infinite Jest

Sell those well out into the future, then seek sponsors for the month.

15nth Pepsi Coke is something Coke would pay a lot to avoid!

YYYYMMDD was the proper date notation for every DA Form or DoD Form I ever filled out. You're either clueless or your experience is dated.

Julian date f

Julian date for comms, sure.

Are you sure you aren't the one who is dated.

Are you sure you aren't the one who is dated.

This is supposed to be a light hearted thread, with maybe some useful trivia coming to light.

04. Apr
08. Aug
12. Dec
02. Feb
01. Jan
07. Jul
06. Jun
03. Mar
05. May
11. Nov
10. Oct
09. Sep

Salad. Does anyone here like salad?

Yeah, I know.

I'm a little OCD

Using month names (or abbreviations of same) does eliminate all ambiguity. An alphabetical sort mixes them up horribly though.

Using month names (or abbreviations of same) does eliminate all ambiguity. An alphabetical sort mixes them up horribly though.
I think its pretty much all ehat you are used to. The American people are a stubborn lot and resistant to change. You'll never get tem to accept European dates or measures.

Tuesday is a palindrome date in DD-MM-YYYY format.

It will be 22-02-2022. Same forwards as backwards.

Back
Top Bottom